Best DVD Ripping Video File Format? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection to a hard drive and trying to determine what the best video file format would be. Most of the ones I've already done are in MKV mkv with h.264, 1280x720 resolution, ac3, etc. I understand the widescreen DVD's are only 720x480 but if I chose that resolution, when I play it back in the boxee app, it comes out very small, doesn't fill up the screen like the original DVD does when viewing it in Windows 7 Media Center. I am using anydvd & wondershare to do the ripping so it's pretty flexible, just need some direction. Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 PM

So far I have ripped my DVDs into MKVs via MakeMKV. I take out some languages, etc but still am around 5-8GB per movie. I tried using Handbrake to encode to h.264 but I get terrible digitizing and the file is still over 1GB. Obviously I just haven't figured out the process just yet!

I have read a lot here, and I think the response you will get from the pros will be "what do you plan on doing with the files".. meaning, what streamer/player will you use. It makes a big difference in what kind of files you need. Also.. is storage a concern for you vs quality. Some won't sacrifice quality for the storage, so they don't encode, etc. No right answer really, just personal preferences.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I would just like to preserve the original dvd quality which isn't HD so I was assuming a few GB. What about the resolution? The only reason I switched from the native widescreen dvd of 720x480 to 1280x720 was so that it fills up the screen when I'm viewing it in boxee. For example, I just ripped "The Abyss" dvd at the above settings and my file size is 1.8GB. Of course I only ripped the movie, none of the extras, I only want the movie. Regarding storage space, of course the smaller the better as long as there isn't too big of a difference in quality from the original dvd.
post #4 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

I somewhat agree with Slates. What do you need from your container choice? Chapters? Subtitles? Audio types? Once you decide that, you can pick the container (MKV, M2TS, etc...). Then you can look at size and quality.

I personally use VID2EVA, which is a combination of tools and scripts used to create a variety of container types and tweaked for play on the Netgear media streamers (8000/9150/NTV550). VID2EVA can handle MKV, M2TS, ACVHD and BD as well as ISO container for ACVHD and BD. It is all free, both the scripts and the tool. Just Google VID2EVA.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #5 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Upscaling dvds while ripping is one of the worst things you can do. Upscaling should be done during playback. My dvd rips are 1:1 copies at ~8gb each. Hard disks are dirt cheap, already have several tb's and ripping takes only a couple of seconds of my time. My AnyDVD HD is always sitting on the task bar. I insert dvd then right click the icon and click on rip to hard disk. It then rips the disk to the preselected location which is a map on my network. Two clicks and 10-15min later when it's done ripping I remove the disk. Can't get any simpler than that. Quality/features/menus/everything is a 1:1 copy of the original so zero loss in all areas.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

So ultimately what file format are you using? Do you keep it at 720x480? You do this all through AnyDVD right? This method would keep all languages, audio tracks & dvd extras, correct? What are you using for playback? And lastly, what kind of computer do you have? I have an elitebook 8540p with an intel i7 and it takes at least an hour to go from the dvd to the mkv file. Thanks!
post #7 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM

He isn't encoding at all, which is likely ISO or maintaining the VIDEO/AUDIO TS folders. That's why it only takes 10-15 min. He is basically just copying the DVD to his hard drive.

I think I probably should have done that, but I really don't care for the extra features or menus.. I just want the movie and soundtrack. I also wanted just one file per movie.. so MKV worked for me. No encoding, the movie is just placed into the MKV container.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

He isn't encoding at all, which is likely ISO or maintaining the VIDEO/AUDIO TS folders. That's why it only takes 10-15 min. He is basically just copying the DVD to his hard drive.

I think I probably should have done that, but I really don't care for the extra features or menus.. I just want the movie and soundtrack. I also wanted just one file per movie.. so MKV worked for me. No encoding, the movie is just placed into the MKV container.

Ah, ok so I'm back to my original question. In fact, looking a bit closer at all of the details I'm not certain any video format will preserve the original specs. For example, the Norah Jones Live in New Orleans DVD has a video bit rate of 7000kpbs and audio bit rate of 448kbps which none of my video formats appear to be capable of?
post #9 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 01:54 PM

I am a beginner, but from what I read, preserving the original specs is actually the easiest way to rip your DVDs. It just also happens to be the most costly in terms of storage space. You can use something like CloneDVD (since you use AnyDVD) to copy to your hard drive. For the Video/Audio TS folders, you can also use something as simple as DVD Decrypter(free). It will just copy over the DVD as it is stored on the disc. Running it on your HD at this point would be no different than putting in the DVD.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

I am a beginner, but from what I read, preserving the original specs is actually the easiest way to rip your DVDs. It just also happens to be the most costly in terms of storage space. You can use something like CloneDVD (since you use AnyDVD) to copy to your hard drive. For the Video/Audio TS folders, you can also use something as simple as DVD Decrypter(free). It will just copy over the DVD as it is stored on the disc. Running it on your HD at this point would be no different than putting in the DVD.

Yeah the problem is that I'm playing it back on Boxee which can't play the native DVD TS folders.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can Boxee play ISO files? If so, this is what I recommend (what I do myself.)

I ripped all my DVDs as ISO files. I used DVD Shrink to pull out "just the movie" and then I could select which subtitle and audio streams I wanted to include. I did this because it preserves the movie in FULL quality, and I can still decide to listen to commentaries, turn on subtitles, and skip through chapters and FF/REW efficiently.

The only movies I actually encode are the kid's movies that get streamed to the Xbox upstairs, as they are saved on a separate, smaller hard drive and I try to keep those files "lean."
post #12 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I've never even given that a thought, let me try and I'll report back shortly. I have plenty of storage space so it might work.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryinnv View Post

Actually, I've never even given that a thought, let me try and I'll report back shortly. I have plenty of storage space so it might work.

Ok, just tried it and yes it most definitely works. Boxee is so great. Now I only have a minor issue I need to investigate, when the DVD menu pops up, I can scroll through the choices with my mouse (I'm using Boxee on a HTPC), the mouse buttons will not activate the choices (e.g., "PLAY"), but I can simply pull out my keyboard and hit enter and that works, some minor issue I'm thinking but this might be the way I'll go.

As a side note, is it safe to assume that no video format will preserve all of the native dvd features (i.e., video bitrate, audio bitrate, etc.)?
post #14 of 31 Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So ultimately what file format are you using? Do you keep it at 720x480? You do this all through AnyDVD right? This method would keep all languages, audio tracks & dvd extras, correct? What are you using for playback? And lastly, what kind of computer do you have? I have an elitebook 8540p with an intel i7 and it takes at least an hour to go from the dvd to the mkv file. Thanks!

It's a 1:1 copy from the original optical disk. Everything through AnyDVD HD. You can right click and select copy to ISO instead copy to hard disk and you will end up with a single iso file instead of video_ts folders like I do. The time and amount of clicks/effort is exactly the same. This method is the fastest by far and you end up with a bit by bit copy of the original disk. The only disadvantage is a couple of more gb per disk but with disks being so cheap it is not worth my time & hassle. I've got better things to do. Any decent streamer/computer will play the files/iso. Nothing to worry about.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
gerryinnv,

It is always best to keep things simple. Don't mess with MKV or other formats or recoding if you don't have to. Stick with the format that comes off the disk. For DVD rips, my vote is to make .iso files using DVD Shrink. This is how I've done my DVD rips for years and it doesn't get much simpler. I don't use AnyDVD, I use either DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab to rip the full disk to an .iso file. For TV series disks, I stop there -- I like to use the DVD's menu to select the episodes. For movies, where I just want the main title and none of the "extras", I open up the .iso in DVD Shrink; select the main title and desired audio/subtitle tracks; have Shrink generate a new .iso with only those components. If you are using AnyDVD to decrypt the disk, you can just use DVD Shrink directly.

I want original PQ so I never compress. As was mentioned, HDD are very cheap. A 2TB drive suitable for video storage and streaming costs ~$110 and can hold 350-400 main titles. If you want to save some space you can always use DVD Shrink to trim off the credits of the movie. Any decent media player will play DVD.iso files. If using a PC, use VLC media player.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #16 of 31 Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Ugh.. now I am thinking maybe I should have gone with iso versus mkv. I don't really care about menus or anything, I just thought MKV sounded simple and the makemkv program is definitely easy. Thankfully I have only done 15 to 20 movies so far.. so its recoverable if I decide to switch
post #17 of 31 Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

It appears the BoxeeBox will support DVD ISO's, but that needs to be confirmed. Assuming it does (I'll test it once mine is delivered), I'd recommend just ripping the entire DVD if you're okay with the space being used.

I personally use AnyDVD for the decryption, and then IMG Burn to create the actual ISO. The layer break information in the CUE file from IMG Burn is more accurate, but if you aren't worried about burning DVD's from the ISO later on you can skip using IMG Burn entirely and just have AnyDVD handle the ISO.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

gerryinnv,

It is always best to keep things simple. Don't mess with MKV or other formats or recoding if you don't have to. Stick with the format that comes off the disk. For DVD rips, my vote is to make .iso files using DVD Shrink. This is how I've done my DVD rips for years and it doesn't get much simpler. I don't use AnyDVD, I use either DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab to rip the full disk to an .iso file. For TV series disks, I stop there -- I like to use the DVD's menu to select the episodes. For movies, where I just want the main title and none of the "extras", I open up the .iso in DVD Shrink; select the main title and desired audio/subtitle tracks; have Shrink generate a new .iso with only those components. If you are using AnyDVD to decrypt the disk, you can just use DVD Shrink directly.

I want original PQ so I never compress. As was mentioned, HDD are very cheap. A 2TB drive suitable for video storage and streaming costs ~$110 and can hold 350-400 main titles. If you want to save some space you can always use DVD Shrink to trim off the credits of the movie. Any decent media player will play DVD.iso files. If using a PC, use VLC media player.

Kelson, how do you rip your blu-ray tv shows and movies? I like to keep things simple too and I like your workflow. I want my rips to work with the maximum amount of players. Right now I have a DuneHD Base and a Xtreamer Pro. The Dune has the advantage of playing everything natively with hd audio but the XTPro can play hd audio as well and has a built-in movie jukebox right on the player itself vs. the Dune needing a third party software app like Zappiti.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-07-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Sabur Nur View Post

Kelson, how do you rip your blu-ray tv shows and movies? I like to keep things simple too and I like your workflow.

My previous post was directed specifically at DVD rips to answer the OP. For BD rips I use DVD Fab exclusively as the only tool. DVD Fab will rip the whole disk or main title to a BD.iso which will play on your Dune. And your Dune does BD menus, so for TV disks you can rip the whole thing to .iso and use the BD menu to select an episode. When you have a player like the Dune that does BD menus, it's real simple.

My Seagate player is more limited in it's BD playback because it doesn't do BD menus. So I use DVD Fab to rip the BD main title to the BDMV folder structure then I go into the BDMV\\STREAM folder and pull out the .m2ts file. I rename it to movie_title.m2ts and that is what I feed to my player. Just about any player capable of 1080p playback will play an .m2ts file and I've read that some chipsets play them natively in hardware. Unfortunately, many newer titles are being authored as multiple .m2ts files (Prince of Persia is split into 139 separate .m2ts files). For a player like the Dune which can read the playlist, that is not an issue. But for lesser capable players like mine, I have to use TSMUXER to assemble the multiple .m2ts files into a single .m2ts for my player. It adds another step but is pretty simple.

So basically, I use the native .m2ts file right off the disk and keep it simple. My next player will do BD menus and then I'll just rip directly to BD.iso which is as simple as it gets. And, of course, I don't compress anything so my BD rips only take an hour.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #20 of 31 Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Hi. I'm thinking of getting the HDI Dune Pro, and I have DVD fab already. I was wondering, is there any software which will allow me to take clips from a Blu Ray movie and have the Dune play them retaining Blu Ray quality?...if not, would it be possible to play the clips in DVD quality? I have a lot of Blu Rays and DVDs and since I've already seen the movies I usually don't sit thru the whole movie a second or third time but wouldn't mind having a collection of movie clips to browse thru....if anyone has been able to extract a clip from a Blu Ray disc did you have any audio sync issues or do you think extracting clips might have that problem? A few years ago I was able to collect clips from DVDs using Womble, I think with no quality loss, but not sure if it's possible with Blu Rays and also I didn't know about products like Dune which could organize and play the clips for me. I think the Dune would be great for this purpose. Thanks for any ideas.
post #21 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
hello all,

i have around 800 kung fu dvd & vcds. what's the best / faster way to copy all of them to a .iso file to be stored on an external hard drive. anydvd or video shrink?

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #22 of 31 Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post

hello all,

i have around 800 kung fu dvd & vcds. what's the best / faster way to copy all of them to a .iso file to be stored on an external hard drive. anydvd or video shrink?

I use AnyDVD with IMG Burn personally.

AnyDVD simply runs in the background, defeating encryption when you insert the disc. So I really only need to interact with IMG Burn ... and that only takes a few clicks once you set it up.
post #23 of 31 Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would just like to preserve the original dvd quality which isn't HD so I was assuming a few GB. What about the resolution? The only reason I switched from the native widescreen dvd of 720x480 to 1280x720 was so that it fills up the screen when I'm viewing it in boxee. For example, I just ripped "The Abyss" dvd at the above settings and my file size is 1.8GB. Of course I only ripped the movie, none of the extras, I only want the movie. Regarding storage space, of course the smaller the better as long as there isn't too big of a difference in quality from the original dvd.

You do not need to encode your DVDs to 1280x720. Boxee will play your 720x480 encoded videos fullscreen just fine. You need to change the video settings in Boxee and set the "view" mode to "normal". It sounds like you have it set currently to "original size".

I re-encode my DVDs using a handbrake preset that also works well with my xbox. Most movies end up being around 1.4gb with the original 5.1 audio track. I've posted the handbrake preset in the thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19271692

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #24 of 31 Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM

What about those of us who truly want exactly 1:1 video and audio quality? I could live without menus, special features, subtitles etc. but I'm in search for the best file format that delivers exact 1:1 quality for both DVD and blu ray. Size of files does not matter.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno21 View Post

What about those of us who truly want exactly 1:1 video and audio quality? I could live without menus, special features, subtitles etc. but I'm in search for the best file format that delivers exact 1:1 quality for both DVD and blu ray. Size of files does not matter.

I'm not sure about Blu-Ray, but for DVD I believe ISO is 1:1. I use DVD Shrink to pull out just the main title .ISO from DVDs, and then I can select which audio tracks and subtitle streams to include. I set the compression for "none" and that should be full 1:1 quality. Most DVDs I rip in this way come out around the 5-7 GB mark, give or take.
post #26 of 31 Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 382
So, again, if you grab the movie file and whatever audio track you want, it's 1:1 quality in a .iso file -- even one where the menus, extra soundtracks, etc. have been excised. If you use most .mkv makers, you can still have 1:1 quality on the video and audio -- obviously, no menus, etc. are included. You will only lose video and possibly audio quality if you transcode (some loss is automatic) and shrink the video files (losses grow with more shrinking).

Containers are not in an of themselves a cause of quality loss. So .iso and .mkv are just containers. BluRay or DVD folders are just containers. Codec changing or downsampling is a quality loss -- although merely changing codecs may not cost you must, e.g. going to high-bit-rate .mp4 for Apple compatibility. But once you make the movie a lot smaller, you lose quality.

So, mizuno, you could use .iso or .mkv no problem.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #27 of 31 Old 10-12-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, just tried it and yes it most definitely works. Boxee is so great. Now I only have a minor issue I need to investigate, when the DVD menu pops up, I can scroll through the choices with my mouse (I'm using Boxee on a HTPC), the mouse buttons will not activate the choices (e.g., "PLAY"), but I can simply pull out my keyboard and hit enter and that works, some minor issue I'm thinking but this might be the way I'll go.

While it's possible Boxee may add mouse support later, the intent of Boxee is to provide a 10' UI. With that in mind, it's prime interface is assumed to be a remote or similar device.

More to the point though, they are directly implementing the DVD interface. Therefore it uses a remote (the keyboard is emulating a remote) ... there is no mouse support for the DVD spec.
post #28 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My previous post was directed specifically at DVD rips to answer the OP. For BD rips I use DVD Fab exclusively as the only tool. DVD Fab will rip the whole disk or main title to a BD.iso which will play on your Dune. And your Dune does BD menus, so for TV disks you can rip the whole thing to .iso and use the BD menu to select an episode. When you have a player like the Dune that does BD menus, it's real simple.

My Seagate player is more limited in it's BD playback because it doesn't do BD menus. So I use DVD Fab to rip the BD main title to the BDMV folder structure then I go into the BDMV\\STREAM folder and pull out the .m2ts file. I rename it to movie_title.m2ts and that is what I feed to my player. Just about any player capable of 1080p playback will play an .m2ts file and I've read that some chipsets play them natively in hardware. Unfortunately, many newer titles are being authored as multiple .m2ts files (Prince of Persia is split into 139 separate .m2ts files). For a player like the Dune which can read the playlist, that is not an issue. But for lesser capable players like mine, I have to use TSMUXER to assemble the multiple .m2ts files into a single .m2ts for my player. It adds another step but is pretty simple.

So basically, I use the native .m2ts file right off the disk and keep it simple. My next player will do BD menus and then I'll just rip directly to BD.iso which is as simple as it gets. And, of course, I don't compress anything so my BD rips only take an hour.

So you are saying that DVD Fab will work with TV episodes in the ISO format?
Im wondering ImageBurn will also work?
I just want an easy way to backup TV show DVDs using ISO files. I dont think I have any blu-ray Tv show DVDs so it would just be the regular ones.
post #29 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

So you are saying that DVD Fab will work with TV episodes in the ISO format? . . . I just want an easy way to backup TV show DVDs using ISO files. I dont think I have any blu-ray Tv show DVDs so it would just be the regular ones.

Yes, I do this all the time. I start DVD Fab (or DVD decrypter), I put the TV episode disk in the drive and I rip the entire disk to an .ISO file and put it on my NAS. I don't even have to think about it, I just select the target folder and click the start button. The only way it gets any easier is if I could train my dog to load the disk .

When I select that .ISO to play, using my Seagate player, it gives me the FBI warnings and jumps to the main menu for episode selection -- just the same as if I had put the original disk in a DVD player.

For BD.iso rips it would be exactly the same using DVD Fab (except I currently don't have a player that does BD menus so I have to rip separate episodes).

- kelson h

post #30 of 31 Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I do this all the time. I start DVD Fab (or DVD decrypter), I put the TV episode disk in the drive and I rip the entire disk to an .ISO file and put it on my NAS. I don't even have to think about it, I just select the target folder and click the start button. The only way it gets any easier is if I could train my dog to load the disk .

When I select that .ISO to play, using my Seagate player, it gives me the FBI warnings and jumps to the main menu for episode selection -- just the same as if I had put the original disk in a DVD player.

For BD.iso rips it would be exactly the same using DVD Fab (except I currently don't have a player that does BD menus so I have to rip separate episodes).

Ok so I tried this with AnyDvd and Image burn and it seems to be working the same as you mentioned with DVD Fab.

So I wanted to try it with DVD Fab but not sure which mode to use?
The have Clone to Clone or DVD Ripper or DVD Copy full Disc? Im not sure which to use if I am just backing up to my hard drive.

I tried it with the Copy Full Disc and it seems to work fine but kind of confusing menus. It put a "Generic Folder" which does nothing and then you have a folder called "Full Disc" and then the actual tv show is inside. Im not sure if Im doing the folders right.
But it does work in principal with either DVD Fab or AnyDVD.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page