Hulu on Roku (in addition to Hulu+)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is Hulu (non-premium) going to be available on Roku?

Is everything that is available on Hulu also available on Hulu Plus?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10
I would guess the regular Hulu will most likely NOT be coming to the Roku as an "official" channel. It just wouldn't make business sense for Hulu.

Having said that, you can get regular Hulu on the Roku RIGHT NOW using the private PlayOn channel that is currently available in beta form.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32597

Of course, this will require you to purchase the PlayOn software and run it on a PC on your network.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I do not expect standard Hulu to ever be 'allowed' on any set top box.

As a matter of fact if Hulu Plus becomes relatively popular, I suspect standard Hulu may go away entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32597

Of course, this will require you to purchase the PlayOn software and run it on a PC on your network.

Out of curiosity, do you know if PlayOn supports HD content for Hulu? And if so, are there serious performance issues versus viewing on a browser?

I actually have a PlayOn license, but have never tested HD content using it - mostly due to the lack of HW performance of my server. It is currently in a coma, and I plan to build a slightly beefier unit over the winter.

Also, do you know if PlayOn can aggregate Hulu and Hulu Plus content similar to how Hulu desktop can?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Yeah, I do not expect standard Hulu to ever be 'allowed' on any set top box.

As a matter of fact if Hulu Plus becomes relatively popular, I suspect standard Hulu may go away entirely.

Out of curiosity, do you know if PlayOn supports HD content for Hulu? And if so, are there serious performance issues versus viewing on a browser?

I actually have a PlayOn license, but have never tested HD content using it - mostly due to the lack of HW performance of my server. It is currently in a coma, and I plan to build a slightly beefier unit over the winter.

Also, do you know if PlayOn can aggregate Hulu and Hulu Plus content similar to how Hulu desktop can?

I do not know if PlayOn supports HD content for Hulu. I haven't used it enough to know for sure. What I do know is that on the Roku the private PlayOn channel uses the iOS transcoded stream for compatibility reasons due to format limitations of the Roku box. I'm not an expert on the details of the iOS format, but I highly doubt that you can get anywhere near HD quality since it's intended primarily for mobile devices.

I've never used Hulu desktop, so I'm not familiar with its aggregating features. The private PlayOn channel for the Roku does provide sorting capabilities (by TV Show, Genre, Date, etc.).
post #5 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

I do not know if PlayOn supports HD content for Hulu. I haven't used it enough to know for sure. What I do know is that on the Roku the private PlayOn channel uses the iOS transcoded stream for compatibility reasons due to format limitations of the Roku box. I'm not an expert on the details of the iOS format, but I highly doubt that you can get anywhere near HD quality since it's intended primarily for mobile devices.

Not having a Roku at this time, I'm not really familiar with the situation. That said, what do you mean by iOS transcoded stream? iOS is Apple's operating system - what does that have to do with the Roku box? Or is it simply the name of a setting on the Roku, and refers to a codec iOS devices support?

If that is the case, there's no reason to make any assumptions of the quality due to it being for 'mobile devices'. iOS is a platform that includes more than phones; it includes the iPad as well is the new iTV (apple TV). With that in mind, I suspect it would simply refers to H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) since all iOS devices have dedicated HW acceleration for its decoding. All the devices support high bitrate 720p content using that codec.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

The Roku is limited primarily to h.264 streams which align fairly well with iOS settings in most video conversion software, including PlayOn's real-time transcoding to iOS. The Roku's severely limited format support pretty much requires PlayOn's iOS compatible stream be used. My guess as to HD capabilities using PlayOn and Roku stem from my assumption that PlayOn primarily provides an iOS stream for use with mobile devices, which I would assume would typically use a much lower bitrate stream. I could very well be wrong.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Play On does not currently support HD (unless something has happened in the last 2 weeks, but I doubt it.) However, it will downsize HD material coming into the computer (playback Netflix HD but outputs it as 480p.) The result is better than Netflix SD output through Play On, but still not as good as it could be.

They do say it is on their roadmap. But they don't seem to move too fast on new features.

I've not really looked at Hulu+ much at all as I really don't use hulu basic all that much. However, I would assume that if you can play Hulu+ through your regular internet browser, that you would be able to play it through Play ON.

But yes, it will most likely take a beefy CPU indeed to run HD through Play On, if it ever comes about.

-Suntan
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page