Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

Yes, that's what the post says - "1080p" in the filename is what triggers 1080p playback. Like I stated earlier, I don't use my XDS for local playback, so I can't confirm or deny that it's true. That being said, the post I referenced was from a Roku engineer (RokuPatrick), and it's also stated in their support documentation HERE, so I have no reason to believe it's false. Perhaps the fact that you don't have "1080p" in your HD MKV filenames is what's causing part of your problems.

Also note that the support documentation I linked to above states that 1080p playback is at 30 fps by default. You need to add "1080p24", "1080p-24" or "1080p_24" to the filename if it was encoded at 24 fps. 1080p60 is not supported by Roku.

It's definitely false. If their intention is true, it is terrible firmware. I tried it with and without 1080P in the file name. There is no different in playback. My problem is not just playback the HD MKV, it happens the same way as when I streams HD video over the net. It is playback fine when the internet stabled or during low peak hours. Again all these problems I have with the XDS, it is playback and stream fine on the other HD playback sources.

XDS should not reboot itself when internet connect is lower. It should setup very similar to others HD media players. The other HD player scales down to lower version video without interupting the movie whenever the internet connection is low, and it automatically increases to higher video format when internet connection increases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by new04quest View Post

It's definitely false. If their intention is true, it is terrible firmware. I tried it with and without 1080P in the file name. There is no different in playback. My problem is not just playback the HD MKV, it happens the same way as when I streams HD video over the net. It is playback fine when the internet stabled or during low peak hours. Again all these problems I have with the XDS, it is playback and stream fine on the other HD playback sources.

XDS should not reboot itself when internet connect is lower. It should setup very similar to others HD media players. The other HD player scales down to lower version video without interupting the movie whenever the internet connection is low, and it automatically increases to higher video format when internet connection increases.

I understand your frustration over your USB playback issues -- that sucks.

When you say "reboot itself" when your internet connection is slow, is the box just rebuffering the stream or is it actually completely rebooting? If it is indeed rebooting and not just rebuffering occasionally, then you may have a faulty box. It shouldn't do that.

The Roku box does support adaptive bitrate streaming (which is what you described in your last paragraph), but the content provider must provide the stream in the proper format for it to work, which is HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for Roku's boxes. Most of the Roku channels that make use of HLS are the "live" streams (NHL, MLB, UFC, etc.).

I don't believe you ever specified which channel was causing your HD streaming problems, but if it's from Netflix, you have to consider the fact that Netflix provides different streams to different devices. This makes a direct comparison of stream quality and stability between devices difficult. So even if Netflix on the PS3 is working fine for you during peak internet hours, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Roku Netflix channel will perform the same. The streams are probably different bitrates and likely coming from a different CDN.
post #363 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I understand your frustration over your USB playback issues -- that sucks.

I thought that I have been very clear on it. It happened on both USB and HD streaming.

Quote:

When you say "reboot itself" when your internet connection is slow, is the box just rebuffering the stream or is it actually completely rebooting? If it is indeed rebooting and not just rebuffering occasionally, then you may have a faulty box. It shouldn't do that.

I thought that I'm very clear on this too. Reboot meaning XDS is rebooted and it different from streaming rebuffed.

Quote:

The Roku box does support adaptive bitrate streaming (which is what you described in your last paragraph), but the content provider must provide the stream in the proper format for it to work, which is HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for Roku's boxes. Most of the Roku channels that make use of HLS are the "live" streams (NHL, MLB, UFC, etc.).

I worked with low level Roku technical support and high level technical support. They said that XDS is fine, and they said my internet connection is at fault. I talked to COX communication. They said my internet connection is fine, because it streams HD video fine on my other HD media sources. They verified the signal, and it is fine. In this case, I think that COX communication is correct. I think that XDS has bad firmware in it. I hope that Roku can provide solution with new firmware soon. The player should be able to scale down to lower video format without rebooting XDS and without interrupting movie playback.

Quote:

I don't believe you ever specified which channel was causing your HD streaming problems, but if it's from Netflix, you have to consider the fact that Netflix provides different streams to different devices. This makes a direct comparison of stream quality and stability between devices difficult. So even if Netflix on the PS3 is working fine for you during peak internet hours, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Roku Netflix channel will perform the same. The streams are probably different bitrates and likely coming from a different CDN.

It is mostly streaming HD Netflix and some HD Amazon VOD and HD MKV. Again, it's fine on my other HD media sources.
post #364 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

The player should be able to scale down to lower video format without rebooting XDS...

Yes, the box should be able to rebuffer down to a lower bitrate stream (if one is available) without rebooting your box. That's why I'm saying you may have a defective unit. If this were a problem with the firmware, it would be much more widespread, and you'd see a large number of complaints in the Roku forums about the box rebooting all the time. I haven't really seen that many. A slow internet connection causing your Roku to reboot is not normal behavior.

Quote:

...and without interrupting movie playback.

This is not possible with the current streams that are provided to the Roku by Netflix and AVOD. It's not a limitation of the Roku as much as it is a limitation of the streams provided by Netflix and Amazon. You can't blame Roku for that.
post #365 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, the box should be able to rebuffer down to a lower bitrate stream (if one is available) without rebooting your box. That's why I'm saying you may have a defective unit. If this were a problem with the firmware, it would be much more widespread, and you'd see a large number of complaints in the Roku forums about the box rebooting all the time. I haven't really seen that many. A slow internet connection causing your Roku to reboot is not normal behavior.
Let me rephrase it again, I don't think it is normal but Roku technical supports think so. I don't think that it is hardware issue either. If there is a problem with electronics hardware or hardware limitation, it’ll reboot all the time. If the firmware limitation or if it is set to work at a certain spec, it can reboot when the spec is met. It happened to me during high peak time, which it is likely to be firmware issue more than anything else. And in case you ask, everything is setup correctly according to the manual and it is confirmed by their high level technical supports. They said it is my internet connection that makes XDS reboot. I don’t think so because the other HD sources work fine on the same network.

Quote:
This is not possible with the current streams that are provided to the Roku by Netflix and AVOD. It's not a limitation of the Roku as much as it is a limitation of the streams provided by Netflix and Amazon. You can't blame Roku for that.
It is limited to XDS or not, but the same HD video on Netflix and Amazon works fine on my other HD media players. I don't expect the same video to playback better on XDS, but at least playback the same bitrates as the other HD media players and playback at lower bitrates when internet connection is low. For example, I streamed and playback HD “Unthinkable” on Netflix using PS3. It streamed and playback flawless on PS3. When the internet connection is fluctuated, PS3 automatically played movie according to internet connection speed without interrupting (or stopping) the movie. With XDS, it rebooted itself and I have to manually re-stream the movie from the beginning.
post #366 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Prospective owner here:

Can an owner please explain the difference between the following?

Specs for the Roku XD :
802.11n Wi-Fi (b/g/n compatible)

AND

Specs for the Roku XD|S :
Dual-band 802.11n (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)

I know in routers dual band, dual radio means you can connect at both G and N without the N side dropping down to G speeds. What does it mean for streaming devices? If the XD is "b/g/n compatible", then isn't it by definition "dual band" because it can connect at G or N depending on whatever the router provides?
post #367 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
How many here have cut there cable and gone all streaming

Amazon, hulu & Netflix
post #368 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
OTA with an antenna DVR (no monthly fee) and lots of streaming on my PS3 and Roku. Very happy.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #369 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

OTA with an antenna DVR (no monthly fee) and lots of streaming on my PS3 and Roku. Very happy.

Ota antenna dvr

What is all that?

I know what a dvr is but why do u need it

Is it a tivo
post #370 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent1138 View Post

Prospective owner here:

Can an owner please explain the difference between the following?

Specs for the Roku XD :

AND

Specs for the Roku XD|S :
Dual-band 802.11n (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)

I know in routers dual band, dual radio means you can connect at both G and N without the N side dropping down to G speeds. What does it mean for streaming devices? If the XD is "b/g/n compatible", then isn't it by definition "dual band" because it can connect at G or N depending on whatever the router provides?

In short, the XDS can connect on the 5Ghz frequency. Whereas the XD can only connect on the 2.4 Ghz. If you have a lot of local "clutter" on the 2.4GHz band, accessing the 5GHz frequency can be beneficial.

-Suntan
post #371 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post

How many here have cut there cable and gone all streaming

Amazon, hulu & Netflix

Cut the cord (10+ years ago.) Today's options just increase the convenience for me.

I DVR OTA (Over The Air - aka Broadcast) plus use Netflix and Hulu (not plus.)

-Suntan
post #372 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because having to watch a show when it is broadcast is a major inconvenience. Having to watch commercials is even worse.

Quote:

Is it a tivo

Tivo is one type of DVR, but that is not the only option, there are some other consumer hardware based DVRs, and computer based options.

-Suntan
post #373 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Cut the cord (10+ years ago.) Today's options just increase the convenience for me.

I DVR OTA (Over The Air - aka Broadcast) plus use Netflix and Hulu (not plus.)

-Suntan

I'm thinking of cutting tie with DirecTV, but where can I watch Bizarre Food, No Reservation, TNT and ESP in HD? I don't think that there is anything that can beat the HD video/audio on DirecTV either. I can record HD shows and sport on DirecTV DVR from a cell phone, and it can playback flawless on PC too. If there is a cheaper alternative, I'll be happy to cut it!

For now, Roku XDS is not there yet. If it can play HD video without rebooting, it'll be a good start.
post #374 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ota antenna dvr

What is all that?

Is it a tivo

With my work schedule a DVR is a must, timeshifting is the only way I can watch my favorite shows every week. I have a Channel Master CM-7000PAL and I absolutely love it. It records TV shows off an antenna signal. It's not as refined as a TIVO but it has no subscription fees. It also has an awesome 30 second commercial skip feature. Here is a link.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/HD...cm-7000pal.htm

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #375 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:

In short, the XDS can connect on the 5Ghz frequency. Whereas the XD can only connect on the 2.4 Ghz. If you have a lot of local "clutter" on the 2.4GHz band, accessing the 5GHz frequency can be beneficial.

-Suntan

Ah, thank you for clarifying it for me.
post #376 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:

For now, Roku XDS is not there yet. If it can play HD video without rebooting, it’ll be a good start.

It normally plays HD streams just fine. I still think you have a defective unit, but I think we've covered that ad nauseam...
post #377 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

That other apple tv thread is not getting that much play

Maybe i should of gone with a roku

I dont get why apple tv doesnt have hulu or amazon

Is in everybody's best interest for those companies to join forces

It's a win win
post #378 of 646 Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:

It normally plays HD streams just fine. I still think you have a defective unit, but I think we've covered that ad nauseam...

Now you're getting my point, and maybe I can send it to you so you can hackle with Roku technical support for me!

I messed around with so many HD media players for several years, and this is the first HD media player that does this to me. I told them that there must be something wrong with it, but they blamed it on my internet connection it's a bunch of BS. Which none of it makes sense to me? If it is my internet connection, I should have experienced it with my other HD media players.
post #379 of 646 Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm thinking of cutting tie with DirecTV, but where can I watch Bizarre Food, No Reservation, TNT and ESP in HD?

Most people that look to "cut the cord" do so to save money. Those people that try to do it without expecting to change their viewing patterns *at all* are mostly disappointed.

That said, a quick look at Netflix shows that they have episodes of both Bizarre Food and No Reservation are available streaming from Netflix. They're also available on AmazonVOD.

Quote:

For now, Roku XDS is not there yet. If it can play HD video without rebooting, it'll be a good start.

People looking to use a roku to play significant local content are mis-purposing the box, imo. It's not meant to be a local network streamer.

-Suntan
post #380 of 646 Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It also has an awesome 30 second commercial skip feature.

Just imagine how giddy you would be if your system would scan the show as it recorded it to flag commercial breaks so you could just jump directly over the entire break and right back to the show...

-Suntan
post #381 of 646 Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

That other apple tv thread is not getting that much play

Maybe i should of gone with a roku

I dont get why apple tv doesnt have hulu or amazon

Is in everybody's best interest for those companies to join forces

It's a win win

You do know that Apple and Amazon are competitors? Yes?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #382 of 646 Old 03-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Most people that look to "cut the cord" do so to save money. Those people that try to do it without expecting to change their viewing patterns *at all* are mostly disappointed.

That said, a quick look at Netflix shows that they have episodes of both Bizarre Food and No Reservation are available streaming from Netflix. They're also available on AmazonVOD

I knew they have the older Bizarre Food and No Reservation on Netflix for a long time. I watched it so many times. They are not as good as the newer HD contents. The newest No Reservation in Cambodia and the newest Bizarre Food in Hong Kong in HD are great stuff. The video and audio are superb.

To me, the best HD video/audio shows are Samantha Brown Asia: Asia. Travel channel is better quality than most channels.

With that said, it is closer to cut the tie.

Quote:

People looking to use a roku to play significant local content are mis-purposing the box, imo. It's not meant to be a local network streamer.

-Suntan

The sad thing is it happens to me both USB and streaming. It happens the same way. I'll try to hackle with Roku again today. I hope that they will replace it.
post #383 of 646 Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

You do know that Apple and Amazon are competitors? Yes?

Theres enough money for everybody

What about hulu ?

What's the beef there
post #384 of 646 Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just imagine how giddy you would be if your system would scan the show as it recorded it to flag commercial breaks so you could just jump directly over the entire break and right back to the show...

-Suntan

Nirvana.

post #385 of 646 Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nirvana.
Would it surprise you to know that you can do it today with a couple of computer based DVR systems?

I haven't had to deal with the 30 second skip for some time.

-Suntan
post #386 of 646 Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Was the roConnect post that appears to have been deleted from this thread pure spamming last night? I'm subbed to this thread and it's still in my email notification. It was posted around 1:45 am ET. Is there anything to it or does anybody have any knowledge of it?
post #387 of 646 Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Theres enough money for everybody

What about hulu ?

What's the beef there

Hulu does not fit with the Apple/iTunes business model. Why allow an 'all-you-can-eat' TV buffet when you can charge 99 cents a show? Although they may change this business model in the future there are no indications of it happening anytime soon. For more Apple TV + Hulu rants check out their Apple Forum.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...64970&tstart=0

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #388 of 646 Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Was the roConnect post that appears to have been deleted from this thread pure spamming last night? I'm subbed to this thread and it's still in my email notification. It was posted around 1:45 am ET. Is there anything to it or does anybody have any knowledge of it?

There was a separate thread announcing roConnect that was deleted as spam as well. It's unfortunate because it appears to be a legit product with some promise. If you want to read more about it and interact with the developer, you can do so at the Roku forums here: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38291

There's also a Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roku-C...86947194676928
post #389 of 646 Old 03-20-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

There was a separate thread announcing roConnect that was deleted as spam as well. It's unfortunate because it appears to be a legit product with some promise. If you want to read more about it and interact with the developer, you can do so at the Roku forums here: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38291

There's also a Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roku-C...86947194676928

Thanks for the reply, I had looked on the roku forums, but didn't find anything.I like the idea behind it, from what little I've figured out. I don't really care if it transcodes or not, I've never really liked any of the transcoded streams, they usually require way too much processing power and haven't been very impressed with the quality of them.
post #390 of 646 Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I called Roku, and they recommended 5mbps for HD movie streaming and HD MKV movie through USB. I didn't know that playing HD MKV movie required internet to operate. It seems that Roku tied everything to internet. Most of the time my internet is above 5mbps, but it drop below 5mbps at high peak once in a while. They said that it will freeze when the internet speed drop below the requirement.

One of the Roku engineers has confirmed that an active network connection is NOT required for USB playback. The tech support person gave you incorrect information. See the following thread:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...252159#p252159

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but at least it rules out one possible cause. If your box is still under warranty, I'd push for a replacement as much as possible. With all the rebooting you're experiencing, I would suspect you have a defective unit. It's definitely not supposed to behave that way, that's for sure.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page