Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I dont like the interface on this roku player

Specially the Netflix interface , it looks horrible compare to the apple tv 2

Hulu doesnt look too good either

Can the roku player be hacked ? Like the apple tv

I got the $60 roku box for my parents, wifi works ok , but im waiting for long ethernet cables to arrive from monoprice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 646 Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuri View Post
I have a question about upscaling. I have an older 720p Roku (model N1000) connected over HDMI to a Samsung LN32D550. When I watch Netflix, my TV stretches the image to fit the screen. However, when I watch Netflix through my Xbox, which is connected with component cables at 1080p, Netflix gets upscaled to 1080i.

This seems to mean that the Xbox is upscaling the stream. In which case, I need to upgrade to a 1080p Roku to get 1080x through it -- correct? Or does it mean that my TV doesn't upscale an HDMI signal?
None of the Roku boxes do upscaling, not even the new models. They output whatever resolution they are fed.
post #453 of 646 Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post
I dont like the interface on this roku player

Specially the Netflix interface , it looks horrible compare to the apple tv 2

Hulu doesnt look too good either

Can the roku player be hacked ? Like the apple tv

I got the $60 roku box for my parents, wifi works ok , but im waiting for long ethernet cables to arrive from monoprice
I have never seen or heard of any hacked firmware for the Roku.
post #454 of 646 Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

None of the Roku boxes do upscaling, not even the new models. They output whatever resolution they are fed.

Okay, thanks
post #455 of 646 Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

What's the purpose of the resolution/aspect setting on the Roku box then? Does it downscale?
post #456 of 646 Old 04-16-2011, 03:34 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

I have used DVPRemote on my iPhone ever since it first came out, and have been very satisfied with it.

Hey, thanks for that. Awesome app.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #457 of 646 Old 04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm returning my XDS to Amazon. I could not get it to reliably stream Netflix in HD, and it would disconnect from my wireless network two or three times a day, forcing me to reboot everything. A first gen HD Roku showed up on my local Craigs for $15, so I bought it and it works perfectly.
post #458 of 646 Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am brand new to this thread. I had been wanting to try some sort of networking, media servers or content streamers. I finally decided to try a Zinwell since I was at a Microcenter anyway. I must admit I was quite underwhelmed. I am now now hoping to find out more about the Roku products. Can anybody here suggest any other places to learn more about the Roku boxes?
post #459 of 646 Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I am brand new to this thread. I had been wanting to try some sort of networking, media servers or content streamers. I finally decided to try a Zinwell since I was at a Microcenter anyway. I must admit I was quite underwhelmed. I am now now hoping to find out more about the Roku products. Can anybody here suggest any other places to learn more about the Roku boxes?

Try the Roku forum.
http://forums.roku.com/

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #460 of 646 Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you!
post #461 of 646 Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 PM

I recently setup Plex on my Roku XD and i'm really happy with it's results. My Media is being served from my iMac (actually off of a firewire 800 external enclosure). I just setup what I want to share, then head over to the Roku and so far everything is playing very smooth.

The only thing I had to adjust was the bitrate from the Roku Plex settings. Choosing to stream the max bitrate failed to play the videos through - so i took it down a notch (still 720p, i believe it was the 2Mbps or 3Mbps setting) and it's been great ever since.

So far i've been serving it 720p .MKV files (including 1.5+GB files) and it's picked up everything including show information and the quality is great. I'm impressed!
post #462 of 646 Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defboob View Post

I recently setup Plex on my Roku XD and i'm really happy with it's results. My Media is being served from my iMac (actually off of a firewire 800 external enclosure). I just setup what I want to share, then head over to the Roku and so far everything is playing very smooth.

The only thing I had to adjust was the bitrate from the Roku Plex settings. Choosing to stream the max bitrate failed to play the videos through - so i took it down a notch (still 720p, i believe it was the 2Mbps or 3Mbps setting) and it's been great ever since.

So far i've been serving it 720p .MKV files (including 1.5+GB files) and it's picked up everything including show information and the quality is great. I'm impressed!

Is this what is effectively termed "transcoding" from one device to another?

A buddy of mine does this a ton from a local gaming PC in his house to his PS3 upstairs, works wonderfully for movies and TV eps....I didn't know the Roku could do this!
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly this is an excellent feature and more or less negates the "S" model in my mind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #463 of 646 Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efotonik View Post
you're saying correctly this is an excellent feature and more or less negates the "S" model in my mind
I might agree for wired connections. I'm wireless however and the dual band is a big feature that only the "S" model provides.
post #464 of 646 Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly this is an excellent feature and more or less negates the "S" model in my mind
The XDS also has support for Component output (with an additional cable.)

Whether that is important or not depends on the TV(s) you plan to use it with.

-Suntan
post #465 of 646 Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

I might agree for wired connections. I'm wireless however and the dual band is a big feature that only the "S" model provides.

Is dual-band that important to you bc of a lot of chatter on the 2.4GHz freq in your area/home or because you like the higher throughput?
As I understand it isn't G, assuming you actually get 54Mbps, fast enough to stream full HD content?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

The XDS also has support for Component output (with an additional cable.)

Whether that is important or not depends on the TV(s) you plan to use it with.

-Suntan

I did notice additional outputs from the XDS but in my situation they don't apply. As long as all the models output both video & audio from HDMI I'm good

Did I have the transcoding idea correct? Adding this Plex channel (or similar) allows me to server up media elsewhere and access it remotely through the Roku?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #466 of 646 Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Did I have the transcoding idea correct? Adding this Plex channel (or similar) allows me to server up media elsewhere and access it remotely through the Roku?

I have no idea. I've never tried to play local content with the Rokus, just internet streaming.

-Suntan
post #467 of 646 Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:

As I understand it isn't G, assuming you actually get 54Mbps, fast enough to stream full HD content?

In reality you won't get anywhere near that kind of speed. Streaming HD over wireless is typically not very feasible even on an N network, let alone G. It's very rare that you ever hear of anyone successfully streaming HD content wirelessly.
post #468 of 646 Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is dual-band that important to you bc of a lot of chatter on the 2.4GHz freq in your area/home or because you like the higher throughput?
Both but more for the reason of higher throughput.

Quote:
I'd say the previous post from hps70w is accurate. That is that I can't say I've successfully streamed "full" HD content via a wireless connection. All I can say with confidence is that it has successfully played, without any hiccups, all streamed content from the Roku channels (i.e. Netflix) as well as most of my media content. I just recently installed Plex and there is only one file I've tried to play that seemed to lag or stutter (i.e. Star Trek). The other 4-5 files I played worked fine but they were a combination of SD or watered down HD content. So the question is if the stutter is because the Star Trek is near "full" HD or because of issues with my new Plex setup?

I plan to eventually get a wired connection to my basement. In the meantime the dual-band wireless of the XDS has been a very good performer (even if the content is true HD).
post #469 of 646 Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:

In reality you won't get anywhere near that kind of speed. Streaming HD over wireless is typically not very feasible even on an N network, let alone G. It's very rare that you ever hear of anyone successfully streaming HD content wirelessly.

I realize those are theoretical throughputs seldom (or never) achieved, but, when the PS3 Netflix interface used to display actual streaming bandwidth I noted a peak of 6.2 Mbps for the nicest picture I've ever gotten out of Netflix (listed HD content w/ DD 5.1 sound).
So, seeing as that is approx. 11.5% of the total "G" bandwidth, wouldn't a G network be sufficient for Netflix HD content?

I realize it probably won't suffice for streaming a Blu-Ray across your house to another display or something (pushing 40+ Mbps for most, right?) but it certainly seems like I should still get decent picture streaming it over G. My laptops get the HD content full-screen quite nicely, they should be the same usage case right?

Quote:

All I can say with confidence is that it has successfully played, without any hiccups, all streamed content from the Roku channels (i.e. Netflix) as well as most of my media content.

When you say my media content does this mean streaming your content to the Roku or through the USB as you have the XDS?

Quote:

I just recently installed Plex and there is only one file I've tried to play that seemed to lag or stutter (i.e. Star Trek). The other 4-5 files I played worked fine but they were a combination of SD or watered down HD content. So the question is if the stutter is because the Star Trek is near "full" HD or because of issues with my new Plex setup?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (easy w/o a Roku myself yet) but what exactly is Plex? Is it simply a channel on the Roku that adds more media or does it allow a streaming of local networked content to the Roku as a player?

post #470 of 646 Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:

I realize those are theoretical throughputs seldom (or never) achieved, but, when the PS3 Netflix interface used to display actual streaming bandwidth I noted a peak of 6.2 Mbps for the nicest picture I've ever gotten out of Netflix (listed HD content w/ DD 5.1 sound).
So, seeing as that is approx. 11.5% of the total "G" bandwidth, wouldn't a G network be sufficient for Netflix HD content?

I realize it probably won't suffice for streaming a Blu-Ray across your house to another display or something (pushing 40+ Mbps for most, right?) but it certainly seems like I should still get decent picture streaming it over G. My laptops get the HD content full-screen quite nicely, they should be the same usage case right?

When you say my media content does this mean streaming your content to the Roku or through the USB as you have the XDS?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (easy w/o a Roku myself yet) but what exactly is Plex? Is it simply a channel on the Roku that adds more media or does it allow a streaming of local networked content to the Roku as a player?

Yes, you should probably be able to stream Netflix HD over wireless G. Netflix HD is not full bitrate HD. I was referring to streaming full bitrate HD over wireless, which in most cases doesn't work well.

Plex is a Roku channel that allows you to stream your local network content to the Roku box and output to your TV. I've never used it or looked much into it, but I'm sure you'll need a computer running server software to serve up the files to the Roku, so it's not like you just install the channel on the Roku and you all of the sudden have access to your local network. Roku boxes don't natively support uPnP, SMB, NFS, or similar protocols. That's why the server software is needed.
post #471 of 646 Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Previously I would use the USB but as it pertains to this discussion I am only talking about streaming the content to the Roku.

Quote:

It's a media server that you set up on your network. You then add the Plex channel to your Roku & it sees the Plex server on your network. I just started playing with it this week. So far it seems to be able to play more of my content that I could when going through the USB. The only downside is that I've had a few that would stutter that wouldn't when played via USB. This is using a laptop connected wireless to the Roku that is also wireless. This weekend I'm going to teather the laptop directly to the router so that only the Roku is wireless and see if those few stuttering issues are resolved. So far I'm pretty impressed & with a wired connection Plex seems like an easy winner vs Roku's USB channel.
post #472 of 646 Old 05-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Yes, you should probably be able to stream Netflix HD over wireless G. Netflix HD is not full bitrate HD. I was referring to streaming full bitrate HD over wireless, which in most cases doesn't work well.

Makes sense, I wasn't thinking full bitrate from a Blu-Ray or anything....just the "HD" content from Netflix and other online streamers (NBC, Hulu, etc).

Quote:

Plex is a Roku channel that allows you to stream your local network content to the Roku box and output to your TV. I've never used it or looked much into it, but I'm sure you'll need a computer running server software to serve up the files to the Roku, so it's not like you just install the channel on the Roku and you all of the sudden have access to your local network. Roku boxes don't natively support uPnP, SMB, NFS, or similar protocols. That's why the server software is needed.

Quote:

Previously I would use the USB but as it pertains to this discussion I am only talking about streaming the content to the Roku.

It's a media server that you set up on your network. You then add the Plex channel to your Roku & it sees the Plex server on your network. I just started playing with it this week. So far it seems to be able to play more of my content that I could when going through the USB. The only downside is that I've had a few that would stutter that wouldn't when played via USB. This is using a laptop connected wireless to the Roku that is also wireless. This weekend I'm going to teather the laptop directly to the router so that only the Roku is wireless and see if those few stuttering issues are resolved. So far I'm pretty impressed & with a wired connection Plex seems like an easy winner vs Roku's USB channel.

Thanks a lot for these replies guys, very very helpful!

As of yesterday I am now an official Roku XD owner

I went with the XD mainly because I sold my fatty PS3 and the XD is sold locally which gave me instant gratification.
Hooked it up and watched a few things....it's great! So simple, good picture quality (over HDMI).

My only issues so far are lack of 1080p content (Netflix's fault) and the fact that the XD doesn't seem to output 5.1 on the same content the PS3 used to output 5.1 on. Any thoughts there?
I'm getting 720p vid but I can only get PLII audio out of "HD/5.1" listed content on Netflix...

post #473 of 646 Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

My only issues so far are lack of 1080p content (Netflix's fault) and the fact that the XD doesn't seem to output 5.1 on the same content the PS3 used to output 5.1 on. Any thoughts there?
I'm getting 720p vid but I can only get PLII audio out of "HD/5.1" listed content on Netflix...

Right now Sony has an exclusive arrangement for 1080p Netflix content with true 5.1 sound. If you want 1080p and 5.1, you shouldn't have sold your PS3. Sorry.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #474 of 646 Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Most likely 5.1 is coming to the Roku at some point but no one knows when. The Roku also does not offer CC support like the PS3 does either.
post #475 of 646 Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Is this what is effectively termed "transcoding" from one device to another?

A buddy of mine does this a ton from a local gaming PC in his house to his PS3 upstairs, works wonderfully for movies and TV eps....I didn't know the Roku could do this!

The Plex Media Server, which runs on a windows/mac/linux box, will serve the files to the client ( in this case on the Roku). The file gets changed on the fly to a file that can be played on the client. The neat thing with Plex, and I am not sure if this is in the Rolu beta client yet (it is in the ATV client and will makes its way to other clients) is that a file which can be played on the client will just be sent directly and won't require transcoding. So, for example, if a file is encoded using h.264 for video and is in an mkv container it will not require transcoding to be able to play it on an ATV client ( which does support h.264, but not in an mkv container). I believe they call it Direct Streaming.

Plex is a great addition to Roku. Excellent metadata. Not high enough end for the Blu-Ray top rips, which might explain why it is rarely discussed here.

philip
post #476 of 646 Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG View Post

Right now Sony has an exclusive arrangement for 1080p Netflix content with true 5.1 sound. If you want 1080p and 5.1, you shouldn't have sold your PS3. Sorry.

I bought another but I can't get back on PSN currently since it is down so Netflix is a no-go in 1080p/5.1 I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrola View Post

Most likely 5.1 is coming to the Roku at some point but no one knows when. The Roku also does not offer CC support like the PS3 does either.

Is there any targeted date for 5.1 implementation to the Roku?
Since the Roku can output 1080p I'm assuming there are no hardware related issues....it's just agreement with Netflix to get that level of content?

post #477 of 646 Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

The Plex Media Server, which runs on a windows/mac/linux box, will serve the files to the client ( in this case on the Roku). The file gets changed on the fly to a file that can be played on the client. The neat thing with Plex, and I am not sure if this is in the Rolu beta client yet (it is in the ATV client and will makes its way to other clients) is that a file which can be played on the client will just be sent directly and won't require transcoding. So, for example, if a file is encoded using h.264 for video and is in an mkv container it will not require transcoding to be able to play it on an ATV client ( which does support h.264, but not in an mkv container). I believe they call it Direct Streaming.

Plex is a great addition to Roku. Excellent metadata. Not high enough end for the Blu-Ray top rips, which might explain why it is rarely discussed here.

philip

Very helpful explanation philip, thanks for that.
The direct streaming approach sounds really cool, will be neat if that feature set gets implemented into the Roku lineup.

Having the XD for the last few days now I'm quite impressed with it. It's rather basic, the interface is ok, but the simplicity and straightforwardness make it great!

post #478 of 646 Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Is there any targeted date for 5.1 implementation to the Roku?
Since the Roku can output 1080p I'm assuming there are no hardware related issues....it's just agreement with Netflix to get that level of content?

Roku never tells its customers that information. Netflix has to change the channel on the Roku and the stream the Roku uses so it is really just waiting on Netflix to update the channel. Since most of the other STBs already have the newer channel presumably Roku should be somewhere next in line but whether that means 2 days or 2 months it is anyone's guess.

Roku does output in 5.1 for Amazon so it doesn't seem like it would be a hardware issue.
post #479 of 646 Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 AM

I am looking at buying an XDS but have one concern.

My tv cannot handle a 480I signal via the component jacks. Can the XDS be setup to output only 480P,720P and 1080I?

We mainly watch netflix and hulu and it would kind of stink if a lot of the stuff was unwatchable.

We have plans on buying a new tv in the near future but have to make do for now.
post #480 of 646 Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetube0a3 View Post

I am looking at buying an XDS but have one concern.

My tv cannot handle a 480I signal via the component jacks. Can the XDS be setup to output only 480P,720P and 1080I?

We mainly watch netflix and hulu and it would kind of stink if a lot of the stuff was unwatchable.

We have plans on buying a new tv in the near future but have to make do for now.

The only Roku box that has a component connection is the XD|S, and I believe you need to purchase a special component cable separately from Roku, as it doesn't come with it.

The XD|S supports 480p and 720p via the component connection.

None of the Roku boxes support 1080i via any connection. 1080p is supported via HDMI on the XD and XD|S models, but not on the HD model.

All of this information can be found on the Roku website here: http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2
Click on the "See Specs" link at the bottom of the page for each model.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page