Official Roku HD/XD/XDS Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My XDS arrives tomorrow, can't wait to jump back on Amazon VOD and check out Hulu. Hulu plus support would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM

I have had my Roku Box for about a week now. Every time I goto use it, the device keeps resetting. Once it resets, its fine. Anyone else having this problem? I have update to the newest software version.
post #93 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

My XDS arrives tomorrow, can't wait to jump back on Amazon VOD and check out Hulu. Hulu plus support would be nice.

Regular Hulu (not Hulu Plus) is only available on the Roku using the PlayOn channel, which has a bit of a sordid history thus far. Roku has essentially banned PlayOn from their platform, but you can still get it installed if you can find an active private channel code. Roku has generally been removing these private channels as they become aware of them, though.

Hulu Plus will be officially supported by Roku. The channel should be arriving in the very near future (yet this year).
post #94 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I picked up an XD from BB a while ago and I have one complaint so far; the remote is very sensitive to the direction that it needs to be aimed for the Rku to pick up commands (my Onkyo remote can bounce signals off any wall in my room)

It isn't a big deal as I will be integrating it into my IR system when I get around to it, but until then, it is kind of annoying; and yes, I have put new batteries in the remote with no change.

Anybody else seeing this?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #95 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 View Post

I picked up an XD from BB a while ago and I have one complaint so far; the remote is very sensitive to the direction that it needs to be aimed for the Rku to pick up commands (my Onkyo remote can bounce signals off any wall in my room)

It isn't a big deal as I will be integrating it into my IR system when I get around to it, but until then, it is kind of annoying; and yes, I have put new batteries in the remote with no change.

I've noticed this as well, as have many other people. I have an older HD unit that came with the original remote, and it has MUCH better range and sensitivity. The new buttons on the new remote are a nice addition, but overall, I think it was a step backwards when it comes to general usability. The older remote had bigger buttons which were easier to use, and it had more of a solid "feel" to it in general. I've actually switched back to using the old remote on my XDS in the living room, and use the new remote on my older HD in the bedroom since it gets much less use.
post #96 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps70w View Post

Regular Hulu (not Hulu Plus) is only available on the Roku using the PlayOn channel, which has a bit of a sordid history thus far. Roku has essentially banned PlayOn from their platform, but you can still get it installed if you can find an active private channel code. Roku has generally been removing these private channels as they become aware of them, though.

Hulu Plus will be officially supported by Roku. The channel should be arriving in the very near future (yet this year).

Cool, thanks.
post #97 of 646 Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 295
OK, I'm dropping back to punt; until I can get a solution for lighttpd, I'll just try to run Roksbox from the "for dum-dums" Mongoose. Anyone got that working, that I can get some step-by-step from...because even that doesn't seem to be working for me.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #98 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLaLakers View Post

I have had my Roku Box for about a week now. Every time I goto use it, the device keeps resetting. Once it resets, its fine. Anyone else having this problem? I have update to the newest software version.

This has happened to me on 4(3 XD's and one XD/S) different boxes I have tried. The day I got my first box(about a month ago) the thing would reboot about every hr or so, whether I was using it or not. They told me to send it back. So I did and got another. The second one would reboot less but always after not using it for a while. I talked to them on the phone and ont he forums andthey kept insisting it was a bad box. Well, 2 more I tried all had the same issue and one of them was an XD/S, not an XD like the rest).

The bottom line is if you don't use it for a while, it will reboot within minutes of using it again. Happens every time, like clockwork. Also, with the 2.8 update, it now randomly reboots during Netflix playback.

I worked with with one of the Roku guys from the forum. He was looking at my logs and said that they actually DID see an issue with their network driver but cannot duplicate the issue in-house. I gave them my exact setup with the exact equipment it goes thru. They said they were going to enable more detailed logging in this software release to try and pinpoint it(everytime you crash, it sends a log file to them at Roku).

I currently have one box(I sent back the rest) and it is still within Amazon's 30 days and I am fed up with the reboots. I'm pretty close to sending it back till they can fix these issues.
post #99 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

This has happened to me on 4(3 XD's and one XD/S) different boxes I have tried. The day I got my first box(about a month ago) the thing would reboot about every hr or so, whether I was using it or not. They told me to send it back. So I did and got another. The second one would reboot less but always after not using it for a while. I talked to them on the phone and ont he forums andthey kept insisting it was a bad box. Well, 2 more I tried all had the same issue and one of them was an XD/S, not an XD like the rest).

The bottom line is if you don't use it for a while, it will reboot within minutes of using it again. Happens every time, like clockwork. Also, with the 2.8 update, it now randomly reboots during Netflix playback.

I worked with with one of the Roku guys from the forum. He was looking at my logs and said that they actually DID see an issue with their network driver but cannot duplicate the issue in-house. I gave them my exact setup with the exact equipment it goes thru. They said they were going to enable more detailed logging in this software release to try and pinpoint it(everytime you crash, it sends a log file to them at Roku).

I currently have one box(I sent back the rest) and it is still within Amazon's 30 days and I am fed up with the reboots. I'm pretty close to sending it back till they can fix these issues.

Glad I am not the only one. Well I emailed Roku to see what they have to say. The box doesn't get used all that much, but if they can offer a fix I might send the box back and get the boxee box.
post #100 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Is there any way to rollback the firmware from 2.8 to 2.7? The new update is a mess. I contacted Roku, and of course they were no help.
post #101 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What's the best (Read: Cheapest) option to go with for getting a Roku player that supports component output? I see their newest players only support it with some special cable (and only the $100 model at that)

But I also see Amazon selling the older models that have native component outs on the back. Would one of these be a better bet, and do they still support all the current features? (Only need 720p for this TV.)

-Suntan
post #102 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post

Is there any way to rollback the firmware from 2.8 to 2.7? The new update is a mess. I contacted Roku, and of course they were no help.

There is no way to rollback firmware, as it's completely controlled on Roku's side. In addition, there's no real feasible way to prevent a firmware upgrade either, as they are sent out automatically.

I say feasible way to prevent, because you could theoretically prevent upgrades by disconnecting the box from your network whenever it's not in use. But who wants to do that, right? Updates only happen when the box is idle for a certain length of time and shouldn't happen while actually streaming.
post #103 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Got the XDS hooked up easily today. Watched a few things on Amazon HD VOD, which is mainly why I bought it (and Hulu Plus), and the PQ is very good.
post #104 of 646 Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Got the XDS hooked up easily today. Watched a few things on Amazon HD VOD, which is mainly why I bought it (and Hulu Plus), and the PQ is very good.

What firmware was on the player when you received it? Did you upgrade? Thanks

Oh, and did you purchase it from Amazon, or Roku direct?
post #105 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seriously, who's streaming local content on their Roku? I'm just getting killed with Roksbox...and I'm still not sure it'll even play my .mpg files (as opposed to .mp4). Even though I HATE it, I'd almost bite the bullet and try PlayOn for yet a 3rd time, if I felt like I could use it to get the Roku to do what I want (which is, comparitively, pretty simple...SD .mpg...that's it); but then I remembered, Roku sh*t-canned it...and there's some pretty strong language on the Roku forums about them delivering a kill-shot, if they detect even the private channel.

I know, I know; the Roku wasn't designed to stream local files, and I'm trying to bend it in ways it wasn't meant to be. But again, we're talking pretty modest needs here. For just SD .mpg, if I could get it all on my little HD...rather than have to run my XBox XBMC again, I'd be happy.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #106 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

there's some pretty strong language on the Roku forums about them delivering a kill-shot, if they detect even the private channel.

I know, I know; the Roku wasn't designed to stream local files, and I'm trying to bend it in ways it wasn't meant to be. But again, we're talking pretty modest needs here. For just SD .mpg, if I could get it all on my little HD...rather than have to run my XBox XBMC again, I'd be happy.

CD

Is this "kill-shot" the reason for all of the 2.8 problems I'm seeing at the Roku forums? Does it kill the channel, or the whole box? I had it, and then removed it when it no longer worked. I'm still suffering through the basic functionalities like Netflix and Roku Newscaster to work properly.
post #107 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Seriously, who's streaming local content on their Roku? I'm just getting killed with Roksbox...and I'm still not sure it'll even play my .mpg files (as opposed to .mp4). Even though I HATE it, I'd almost bite the bullet and try PlayOn for yet a 3rd time, if I felt like I could use it to get the Roku to do what I want (which is, comparitively, pretty simple...SD .mpg...that's it); but then I remembered, Roku sh*t-canned it...and there's some pretty strong language on the Roku forums about them delivering a kill-shot, if they detect even the private channel.

CD

What do you mean by "kill-shot"?

As far as I know, Roku has only removed the private channel codes from their Channel Store, and continue to do so any time they discover someone uploading a new private channel using the source package, which apparently is available on the interwebs somewhere for anyone to download. AFAIK, they are not removing the PlayOn channel from any boxes that already have it installed. I still have it installed on mine. My PlayOn trial expired a long time ago, so I can't confirm if it still works though. Have you read something to the contrary?
post #108 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean by "kill-shot"?

As far as I know, Roku has only removed the private channel codes from their Channel Store, and continue to do so any time they discover someone uploading a new private channel using the source package, which apparently is available on the interwebs somewhere for anyone to download. AFAIK, they are not removing the PlayOn channel from any boxes that already have it installed. I still have it installed on mine. My PlayOn trial expired a long time ago, so I can't confirm if it still works though. Have you read something to the contrary?

Well, I'm a noob here...so I'm on unsure footing and maybe I misunderstood. But when I was getting frustrated with Roksbox, and considered PlayOn...I went over to the Roku forum, to see what was being said about the "state" of it.

Now, again...unless I misunderstood...the mods were saying anyone who even posted a link to the "unauthorized", private channel...would be perma-banned from the forum.

I was also reading that PlayOn was basically instructing people, and advocating circumventing the Roku firmware...essentially hacking the box, so that you could continue to run PlayOn. It all just sounded very messy to me; like it's to be avoided like the plague.

CD

post #109 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any legs to this rumor, posted a while back, that Roku was looking to add DLNA functionality?

If so, that will solve your local streaming issue there. It would also explain why Roku is taking such a forceful stance against Play On. Roku has what could be argued as a pretty good deal with respect to content providers. Given their relative lack of size and stature in the marketplace. It would make sense that they would show a good effort (to hulu I am guessing) to clamp down on Play On if they know that Play On will be easily available (through DLNA) in short order anyway.

-Suntan
post #110 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 View Post

In my case, I don't even have the Roku facing me, but the remote works just fine even when not holding it pointed towards the box (which is turned sideways right now anyway).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #111 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Is there any legs to this rumor, posted a while back, that Roku was looking to add DLNA functionality?

If so, that will solve your local streaming issue there. It would also explain why Roku is taking such a forceful stance against Play On. Roku has what could be argued as a “pretty good deal” with respect to content providers. Given their relative lack of size and stature in the marketplace. It would make sense that they would show a good effort (to hulu I am guessing) to clamp down on Play On if they know that Play On will be easily available (through DLNA) in short order anyway.

-Suntan

I honestly wouldn't look for DLNA support anytime soon, if ever on the Roku. With Hulu whining(I have no proof it was Hulu, but with the way things went down and the timing, I am certain it was them) about the Playon channel they had and Roku then pulling it, I suspect Roku will not implement DLNA for this same reasons. Supporting DLNA will basically reenable Playon.

This is just my opinion and I'd love to be proven wrong by Roku and have them add DLNA support.
post #112 of 646 Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM

It's not a definitive "yes" or "no" answer, but Roku has made the following public comment on the whole DLNA issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokuPatrick via Roku forums View Post

To address the rumors, there is no DLNA coming in November. We don't comment on unannounced/unreleased featured, generally. We realized that there's a set of users that wants DLNA functionality and perhaps at some point we will offer it. We have added SSDP, the discovery protocol used by UPnP/DLNA to help enable developer of network-based control and automation apps to discover Roku player on the local network. That may have been a source of confusion.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=211808#p211808

To explain a little further on the comment above...There was a rumor going around that the 2.8 firmware was going to enable DLNA, and when people started seeing their Roku boxes showing up in their network automatically because of the inclusion of SSDP once they got the 2.8 update, that just fueled the rumor mill even more. The above comment from RokuPatrick serves to squash that rumor, at least as it pertains to 2.8. In fact, RokuPatrick's comment was made prior to 2.8 even being released, so I guess he made a bit of a preemptive strike.
post #113 of 646 Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM

I'd appreciate some help with a problem I'm having with a Roku XD I just got. I'm having trouble with the HDMI connection. My setup has the Roku connected to a NAD T175 processor via HDMI which connects to a 480p InFocus projector via component video.

When I first plug in the Roku, I get video that says the Roku is starting and then it says it's loading the homescreen. When it gets done with the loading screen, the HDMI video signal goes away, but I still have audio over HDMI. I can get video over the composite video out.

I have connected a few other HDMI sources to my processor without problems, but I don't very much experience with HDMI yet. I have tried a couple different cables and HDMI ports. I have also tried all the display options in the Roku.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
-Stephen
post #114 of 646 Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenF View Post

I'd appreciate some help with a problem I'm having with a Roku XD I just got. I'm having trouble with the HDMI connection. My setup has the Roku connected to a NAD T175 processor via HDMI which connects to a 480p InFocus projector via component video.

When I first plug in the Roku, I get video that says the Roku is starting and then it says it's loading the homescreen. When it gets done with the loading screen, the HDMI video signal goes away, but I still have audio over HDMI. I can get video over the composite video out.

I have connected a few other HDMI sources to my processor without problems, but I don't very much experience with HDMI yet. I have tried a couple different cables and HDMI ports. I have also tried all the display options in the Roku.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
-Stephen

I am having similar issues.My XDS is connected via HDMI/DVI connector. When I first installed, ROKU box would reset every time i went to use the box. This occurred every time after Roku box was idle for a few hours. Emailed Roku costumer support, and they told me to reset the box and redo set up. Followed their instructions, and no picture appears at launch, but i do hear the sounds of the icons and cursor movements. When I unplug, and then re-plug HDMI picture is back. But then, box resets again. Not sure what to do at this point. Was thinking of returning the box and perhaps waiting to see some Boxee Box reviews before I commit to Roku.
post #115 of 646 Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM

Well, I took my Roku XD back to BB for them to test out. It did the same thing on the test system. They said the Roku must be bad and gave me another one. I brought it home and it did the same thing (video on startup, no video when the home screen was loaded)! Then I realized I could temporarily connect it directly to my projector via HDMI. The video worked! I did some more digging on Roku's site and came across this:

Quote:

If you see a blue or green screen, try this:

On both your Roku player and your TV or receiver, unplug each end of the connectors and plug them back in again, pushing them firmly, all the way in. Try viewing the video again. Sometimes, the blue or green screens are the result of a loose connector.

If you continue to see only a blue or green screen, your TV or receiver may not support HDCP (a copy-protect method) over HDMI. This is generally true for older TV models that have early HDMI implementations that do not follow current standards. Try connecting your player with another cable, such as a component cable.

I don't see blue or green screens, but this just sounds like a lack of a signal to me. I know I don't have cable connection problems, so that leaves the HDCP issue. My projector is a bit older than my processor, so it seems odd that the HDMI would be of a newer standard on the projector. It also seems odd that BB's test system had the same problem.

So, I'm wondering if HDCP HDMI has a problem going through HDMI switches. I don't know for sure that BB's rig used an HDMI switch, but it seems likely.

Does anyone have a successful Roku HDMI connection through a receiver or switch before it gets to the TV? If so, what are the details of you setup?

HDMI seems like the worst thing to happen to the AV world since DRM. Thanks for any help,
-Stephen
post #116 of 646 Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 PM

I found a little more info that *might* explain my problem. I read elsewhere on AVS that you can't input HDCP encoded HDMI and output component video. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. I say "might" because I'm still curious about BB's test rig and why it didn't work.

I don't have a long enough HDMI cable to try Roku > HDMI > Processor > HDMI > Projector to know for sure if this solves the problem. I need to find someone with a small HDMI TV I can borrow...

-Stephen

[update: I just tested Roku > HDMI > Processor > Composite > Projector and that didn't work. I don't know whether it should or not, but I only read about it not working on component video so I thought I'd give it a shot.]
post #117 of 646 Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenF View Post
I found a little more info that *might* explain my problem. I read elsewhere on AVS that you can't input HDCP encoded HDMI and output component video. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. I say "might" because I'm still curious about BB's test rig and why it didn't work.

I don't have a long enough HDMI cable to try Roku > HDMI > Processor > HDMI > Projector to know for sure if this solves the problem. I need to find someone with a small HDMI TV I can borrow...

-Stephen

[update: I just tested Roku > HDMI > Processor > Composite > Projector and that didn't work. I don't know whether it should or not, but I only read about it not working on component video so I thought I'd give it a shot.]
I have the Roku XD connected HDMI>Onkyo 1008>Epson HC720/LCD without any problems.

I know my AVR won't take an HDMI input and output it over analoge.

You are probably having an HDCP issue. I think you might either need to get something like an HDfury2 or just get a long HDMI cable to connect to your PJ.

post #118 of 646 Old 11-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've noticed this as well, as have many other people. I have an older HD unit that came with the original remote, and it has MUCH better range and sensitivity. The new buttons on the new remote are a nice addition, but overall, I think it was a step backwards when it comes to general usability. The older remote had bigger buttons which were easier to use, and it had more of a solid "feel" to it in general. I've actually switched back to using the old remote on my XDS in the living room, and use the new remote on my older HD in the bedroom since it gets much less use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
In my case, I don't even have the Roku facing me, but the remote works just fine even when not holding it pointed towards the box (which is turned sideways right now anyway).
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to get my IR hooked up to it sooner rather than later. It's starting to annoy me and my wife.

At least, so far that is the only bad thing I can say about this device (other than that I can't stream local media.)

post #119 of 646 Old 11-13-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone having complaints about the remote control, is it a remote problem or a receiver problem?

IE, when a person learns in the controls to a proper universal remote, is it still finicky, or does the problem go away?

-Suntan
post #120 of 646 Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I couldn't find a thread about the original Roku boxes so I'll just post a quick question here. I'm on my 2nd roku XR that has stopped connecting to the network (both wired and wireless). This is the 2nd box that will hang at "connecting to local network" and not go anywhere from there. I'm sending this one back as well under warranty and hopefully will get one that will work for another 3 months. When the roku works it works well but it seems to die every 3-6 months with moderate usage. Seriously, this is going to be my 3rd box..we'll see how long this one lasts.

Anyone else have issues with their XR? I've read up on a few issues on the official Roku support forums so it seems like others have had this issue as well.

I'm also thinking of purchasing a new Roku for my in-laws but am weary at this point. Meh..it's only $60 now which is half of what I paid for my XR so I'll probably go for it anyway.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page