post #271 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Jones View Post

Wow! Thanks for such a quick reply! Hopefully someone can offer thoughts on why I'm having difficulty with this issue. I KNOW others are using many external drives without issue. I just cannot figure out why I'm unable to do so.
But to expand on my second question, are there any advantages to the C200 vs. the A200 other than more room for internal drives? I guess what I'm asking, is the C200 more robust/more "user friendly" than the A200?

No real difference. The big advantage was supposed to be the C-200 supported full BD menus whereas the A200 did not, but now it appears that the A200 supports as well. Otherwise, you are dealing with the same hardware, fw, etc... so there is nothing more or less user friendly as the experience is the same. With the C-200 since it is RF if you want to use with a universal remote you will need to purchase an IR receive in place.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Damian, that is very helpful.

Carl Jones
post #273 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Damian, that is very helpful.

No problem. I was supposed to drive down to DE this weekend to visit the in-laws but was able to get out of it. This is my way of giving back, helping folks from DE

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny Well, when/if your in town, let me know, we can get a cup of coffee together, there are a few of us from DE on the forum, perhaps I can get them to join us.

Carl Jones
post #275 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Funny Well, when/if your in town, let me know, we can get a cup of coffee together, there are a few of us from DE on the forum, perhaps I can get them to join us.

Thanks, good to know. I have actually been able to work down visits to the in laws now to 1-2 times a year (Claymont, right outside of Wilmington). UD grad here so spent plenty of years roaming DE

Cheers,
Damian

post #276 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

All the same chipset.

PCH A200/210 - about $100+ less then C200, room for one internal drive, no lcd screen, IR Remote, Open Ecosystem

A200 has a rather nosiy fan that A210 does not. PCH actually sells a kit to convert A200 to A210 using a fanless heat sink. I don't think the fan in A200 has much cooling effect but it is there.
post #277 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog View Post

A200 has a rather nosiy fan that A210 does not. PCH actually sells a kit to convert A200 to A210 using a fanless heat sink. I don't think the fan in A200 has much cooling effect but it is there.

Correct, at this point though unless the A200 is on sale you might as well get the A210. I actually have the A200 and purchased a modded case. I kept the fan in but the case absorbed much of the noise.

Cheers,
Damian

post #278 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Correct, at this point though unless the A200 is on sale you might as well get the A210. I actually have the A200 and purchased a modded case. I kept the fan in but the case absorbed much of the noise.

Well, Amazon sells A200 for around $149(Amazon's price changes all the time, I got it for $138). You have to buy A210 direct from PCH for $199(+tax if you are in the tax happy state) so the price difference is quite a bit... BTW, NTV550 does not even has a heatsink, just air vent....May be I will try to drill a few holes on the A200's soap box too.
post #279 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog View Post

Well, Amazon sells A200 for around $149(Amazon's price changes all the time, I got it for $138). You have to buy A210 direct from PCH for $199(+tax if you are in the tax happy state) so the price difference is quite a bit... BTW, NTV550 does not even has a heatsink, just air vent....May be I will try to drill a few holes on the A200's soap box too.

Yeah, that is a significant price drop. I know a bunch of people on the NMT forums were drilling holes into the A200 case to allow for better airflow. The only vents on the A200 are on the side and bottom I believe which is rather dumb since we all know hot air rises.

Cheers,
Damian

post #280 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Asked this earlier, but never got a response AFAIK...
Can someone confirm that the A200 and or the A210 has a fixed output setting option for HDMI at 1080p at 30fps?

My LCD TV has issues with 23.976hz recorded content played back at 23.976 fps, but it's fine with 23.976hz content played back at 30fps over HDMI. So any media player I invest in has to be able to force output to 1080p @ 30fps via HDMI. My old PCH A100 actually supports this setting, but it's getting a little long in the tooth and I'd like to upgrade as long as I can get something that supports 1080p @ 30fps via HDMI.

Thanks,

Rob

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #281 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had never even considered streamers before. Windows Media Extenders, yes but. I was always been chasing the dream that the HTPC offers of complete integretation and seamless playback, one device, on remote, anywhere in the house. What I have found it it is damned nigh impossible to ever get beyond the compromises one piece of software or hardware makes in the stack. Biggest problem with the PC beside the hassles is that the video is just okay even with renderers like madvr.

I have a DVDO DUO so I would love native format. This is something that Sage HD300 has and it even properly sends the color space. I have not seen PopCorn Hour or the Dunes or any other streamer but the video is very nice out of the HD300 itself but looks fantastic when outputting native through the DUO. This is video on par with best disc players. I'll be darned if I can get close to this with HTPC output. I have a Ceton card so I am in HTPC land regardless, but for movie playback the output of the HD300 opened my eyes. I take it the PopCorns won't output native or set the color space automatically?

What got me fooling around with tje Sage HD300 was their recent aquisition by Google. He had stopped a Sage implementation because before the buyout. Whe we both got into the Cetons, the lack of DRM support in Sage was just one more you can't get there from here. It seems every ecosystem is only capable of handling a piece. My brother has a coupleof the HD300s. The problem with the Sage besides being a dead product is that it doesn't support DVD from folder structure.. I haven't tried BD that way but I assume that is also true. I think it does when running the HD300s as client to the Sage Server..

Anyway sorry for the ramble.. what is the story with native resolution output? If not on PopCorn is it available on anything besides the late lamented Sage streamers?

Just another blank signature.
post #282 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
The PCH products don't have native resolution output capability but they will output 1080P24 when the disc has it and then switch back to 1080P60 other wise. The RGB output of the C200 into my DUO looked superb after I had it professionally calibrated last year. I want to get it calibrated again this year for my Boxee Box. But I might try it myself since the DUO has an auto calibrate function with the right software. That is what my calibrator from Avical used last year with my DUO. What used to take hours was done in a fraction of the time.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #283 of 561 Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The PCH products don't have native resolution output capability but they will output 1080P24 when the disc has it and then switch back to 1080P60 other wise. The RGB output of the C200 into my DUO looked superb after I had it professionally calibrated last year. I want to get it calibrated again this year for my Boxee Box. But I might try it myself since the DUO has an auto calibrate function with the right software. That is what my calibrator from Avical used last year with my DUO. What used to take hours was done in a fraction of the time.

Calibration is something I have done manually with the Duo many times, pain in the but.. but with a big Mits lamp based rear projector you need automation. The lamp is undersized for the task, so you run it in bright and 200 hours later you can see, the colors shift.

I have a Chroma 5 but will look at the new i Display3 supposed to be very fast and reads very low, excellent for automated calibration...

The HD300 has native output as I mentioned. Not that there seems to be anything wrong with the deinterlacing or scaling it does, looks far better than the HTPC. I am big on music and concert video and a lot of it is older 480i film and video that is pretty poor, so I would really like full control.. If the Popcorn Hour players output looks as good the HD300 I don't much care.

The nice thing about the HD300 was the GUI would be at 1080P or whatever but the media playback could be 480i, some of this older stuff has bad flags and mixed video and film so if the deinterlacer gets confused or doesn't resolve the conflict between the flag and the actual cadence it looks bad. The DUO is not perfect at cadence detectin but darned good. It can use Prep to re-deintelace... it just can't take 1080P that was scaled up from 480i with bad deinterlacing and fix it.

Probably only the Sage guys would have been sophisticated enough to understand that some people would want the video untouched.

Just another blank signature.
post #284 of 561 Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It's in their FAQ.

Gary J

post #285 of 561 Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

It's in their FAQ.

Could you be a little more vague? There's over 190 topic entries on that wiki page....

I've browsed the wiki before- the only thing I see even remotely related to output support is this page http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi...ex.php/TV_Mode and that page states "The TV modes vary by NMT and depend on hardware such as VGA output etc. Those currently accessible on the A100 from the Audio/Video setup screen are listed below:" so it's not for the newer versions of the popcornhour devices. I have the A100 and know what modes it supports- I don't have an A200/210 so I don't have any idea what modes it supports.

Do you have an A200 or A210?
It would have taken less time to press the 3 buttons on your remote to provide an actual answer then posting a less than helpful wiki link that has over 190 vague topic entries on it.

Gee, talk about pulling teeth to get a simple easy to get answer from someone who owns the hardware

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #286 of 561 Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Could you be a little more vague? There's over 190 topic entries on that wiki page....

It would have taken less time to press the 3 buttons on your remote to provide .....

Gee, talk about pulling teeth to get a simple easy to get answer from someone who owns the hardware

You can always call PCH directly and post the answer here.
post #287 of 561 Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

I've browsed the wiki before- the only thing I see even remotely related to output support is this page http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi...ex.php/TV_Mode and that page states "The TV modes vary by NMT and depend on hardware such as VGA output etc. Those currently accessible on the A100 from the Audio/Video setup screen are listed below:" so it's not for the newer versions of the popcornhour devices. I have the A100 and know what modes it supports- I don't have an A200/210 so I don't have any idea what modes it supports.

It would have taken less time to press the 3 buttons on your remote to provide an actual answer then posting a less than helpful wiki link that has over 190 vague topic entries on it.

My brother is sleeping right now and he has the PCH-A200 in his room... I'll find out for you tomorrow and report back here?

Cheers!

Cameron
post #288 of 561 Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

My brother is sleeping right now and he has the PCH-A200 in his room... I'll find out for you tomorrow and report back here?

Thank you!

post #289 of 561 Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone receive a power supply from syabas? I got one yesterday for some reason. I didn't order it. Was there a recall or something for the power supplies.
The only device I have that it would fit in is my C200.

post #290 of 561 Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Anyone receive a power supply from syabas? I got one yesterday for some reason. I didn't order it. Was there a recall or something for the power supplies.
The only device I have that it would fit in is my C200.

I haven't received one, nor did I hear anything about a recall. Is the power supply in the C200 a proprietary one?

Philip
post #291 of 561 Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

I haven't received one, nor did I hear anything about a recall. Is the power supply in the C200 a proprietary one?

Philip

I have no idea. I'm just assuming is is a PS for my C200 since that is the only device I have from Syabas that it would fit in. It is long and narrow and I don't remember what it looked like inside my C200 since I haven't opened it up since I first got it when I put a hard drive in there.

post #292 of 561 Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Replayrob...

here are my testing results with my brother's PCH-A200:

HDMI Cable: 8 feet High Speed HDMI with Ethernet (HDMI 1.4a licensed and certified by HDMI Licensing LLC).
Popcorn Hour A-200
Another Media Player Brand for comparison

First hooked it up to my ASUS 1080 24inch PC Monitor with a HDMI 1.4a cable:

I saw 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60... but I did not saw the out put settings you wanted to see 1080p30.

I also hooked up another media player I have in the house hold and I got the same results = no 1080p30.

Then I connected the PCH-A200 to my living room 52inch Philips LCD HDTV 240Hz and got these results for output settings:

PCH-A200: 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60

Other Media Player: 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p60

Then I took both media players to my office and tested it on a 40inch Toshiba LCD HDTV 60Hz and got these results:

Other Media Player: 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60

Based on the testing with the three 1080p capable monitor this is what I concluded:

1. Unless your HDTV can support 1080p30 - it would not matter if a media player can transmit it via HDMI, because the HDMI cable and your player would be able to detect if that option is available for the HDTV or HD Monitor... i.e the ASUS did not allow both media players to transmit 1080p30... if the HDMI Cable is certified and compliant, it should be able to assist detecting what the media players' resolution output (assuming the media players HDMI ports are compliant too) and the HDTV's or HD Monitor's resolution compatibilities/features.

2. The other two HDTVs can support 1080p30 - but that option was not available for output for the PCH-A200... my other media player however was able to transmit 1080p30 to the Philips and Toshiba. From this I concluded that the PCH-A200 does not have the option to choose 1080p30 for output to HDTVs that support 1080p30... (Correct me if I am wrong if anyone else got a different result).

Hope this answers your question ReplayRob...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #293 of 561 Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

Hi Replayrob...

here are my testing results with my brother's PCH-A200:

HDMI Cable: 8 feet High Speed HDMI with Ethernet (HDMI 1.4a licensed and certified by HDMI Licensing LLC).
Popcorn Hour A-200
Another Media Player Brand for comparison

First hooked it up to my ASUS 1080 24inch PC Monitor with a HDMI 1.4a cable:

I saw 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60... but I did not saw the out put settings you wanted to see 1080p30.

I also hooked up another media player I have in the house hold and I got the same results = no 1080p30.

Then I connected the PCH-A200 to my living room 52inch Philips LCD HDTV 240Hz and got these results for output settings:

Other Media Player: 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p60

Then I took both media players to my office and tested it on a 40inch Toshiba LCD HDTV 60Hz and got these results:

Other Media Player: 1080i, 1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p60

Based on the testing with the three 1080p capable monitor this is what I concluded:

1. Unless your HDTV can support 1080p30 - it would not matter if a media player can transmit it via HDMI, because the HDMI cable and your player would be able to detect if that option is available for the HDTV or HD Monitor... i.e the ASUS did not allow both media players to transmit 1080p30... if the HDMI Cable is certified and compliant, it should be able to assist detecting what the media players' resolution output (assuming the media players HDMI ports are compliant too) and the HDTV's or HD Monitor's resolution compatibilities/features.

2. The other two HDTVs can support 1080p30 - but that option was not available for output for the PCH-A200... my other media player however was able to transmit 1080p30 to the Philips and Toshiba. From this I concluded that the PCH-A200 does not have the option to choose 1080p30 for output to HDTVs that support 1080p30... (Correct me if I am wrong if anyone else got a different result).

Hope this answers your question ReplayRob...

Wow... thanks sgvroadster!
You certainly went above and beyond in your efforts... I really appreciate it you saved me $200!

My 2010 LG 47" LED TV currently uses 1080p@30Hz with my old Popcornhour A100/110. But based on your testing- it looks like the A200/210 chipset doesn't support 1080p@30Hz even with a compliant TV. Not really surprising as I recall reading on the NMT forum that output was being pared down with less output options on the newer PCH units.

It's disappointing that PCH/Syabas hasn't updated their documentation as to the features of the newer PCH products and we have to rely on other owners to collect information. It looks like the A200/210 is out of the picture now.

So, now more importantly- if you don't mind me asking sgvroadster- what was the "other" media player you tested with that did support 1080p@30Hz on the two TV's? Maybe that player will work for me.

Thanks again... Rob

post #294 of 561 Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks sgvroadster...
Answered via pm

post #295 of 561 Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Bickering removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #296 of 561 Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question about resolution as well. I use MakeMKV to create my blu-ray rips and have my PCH- A210 set to NTSC 1080p24, when I play the files my projector shows the image as 1080p24. However when I leave it on Auto it outputs the file as 1080p60. I know the MKV files are native 1080p24. What setting should I use when I want the native resolution?
post #297 of 561 Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
dont have that problem on my c-200. lemme check my output setting at when I am at home.

Sean
post #298 of 561 Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Syabas have confirmed that this feature is being worked on.

No idea how well it will work or when it will show but hopefully something will start happening in the next round of Beta testing.

If they get that working and sort out the lingering sync problems with PGS subs in mkv it will be job done as far as I'm concerned.
post #299 of 561 Old 07-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post
I have a question about resolution as well. I use MakeMKV to create my blu-ray rips and have my PCH- A210 set to NTSC 1080p24, when I play the files my projector shows the image as 1080p24. However when I leave it on Auto it outputs the file as 1080p60. I know the MKV files are native 1080p24. What setting should I use when I want the native resolution?
Don't use the Auto setting in the resolution drop box. It will just read your display's EDID table and these mostly tell lies. My Pioneer plasma only reports 1080i despite being fully capable of 1080p50/60 and 24.

The correct settings are 1080p60 or 1080p24 in resolution (it shouldn't matter which) and Framerate sync set at NTSC/24p or NTSC/PAL/24p if you have 50Hz content as well.
post #300 of 561 Old 07-01-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer View Post

The correct settings are 1080p60 or 1080p24 in resolution (it shouldn't matter which)
huh? You want 1080p24 if your display can accept it and your source is film-based.

Gary J

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page