*Official* Popcorn Hour PCH-C200 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 561 Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, how does the new GUI look/act compared to having 3rd party software installed?
I am a sucker for a good nice looking GUI. How is the scraping feature?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 561 Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post

Thinking of getting one of these.

Super excited about the new interface, two questions

1. does it do anything for tv shows? or has anyone heard of them adding this feature?

2. for movies with odd names, can you add the imdb to the name of the file etc to make it easy to scrape?

sorry theres a third.

3. How many externals will this support? untill I build a server I am using a 4 drive Probox with 4 2tb drives for my files over one usb cable.
Wondering if it will recognize all three?

Shawn

1. Yes, TV Shows is supported

2. Yes. Many people still use YAMJ and I believe there is a tool to convert your YAMJ files to the NMJ UI

3. Honestly never used an external drive with the PCH but from what I have read I do believe it will easily support your setup.

You can see a good startup guide on using NMJ here - http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25554

It should be mentioned though that NMJ is not quite there yet, it is definitely a start in the right direction but much work needed to really get it to a user friendly UI

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #93 of 561 Old 12-06-2010, 06:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

It should be mentioned though that NMJ is not quite there yet, it is definitely a start in the right direction but much work needed to really get it to a user friendly UI

dbone, what would you recommend then?
post #94 of 561 Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post

dbone, what would you recommend then?

I still use Aeon + YAMH (I documented here)

Even if you want to use NMJ it is still worth setting up YAMJ simply because you can always fall back to your YAMJ jukebox if you don't like NMJ. Also, the YAMJ jukebox can easily be transitioned over to NMJ which should help reduce some of the startup time/maintenance. I believe as well that NMJ will use local art if available (so local art I have gathered for YAMJ). I actually need to try rebuilding the NMJ jukebox as some corruption I had with metadata was causing issues).

For both my C-200 and A-200 YAMJ + Aeon is still the UI we use. There is an All In One package that incorporates many of the mods I wrote about (here)

Cheers,
Damian

post #95 of 561 Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ordered an A-210 to use as a secondary player with my Boxee Box. There are just some videos Boxee won't play (or do so properly) yet. The automatic scraping by Boxee is decent, but I have many home (camcorder) files, TV shows not at IMDb, and other custom videos, so thinking of using YANFOE along with YAMJ w/AEON.

Damain, would you recommend following your old YAMJ/AEON guide at MediaSmartServer or the all-in-one package you just linked to?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #96 of 561 Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Ordered an A-210 to use as a secondary player with my Boxee Box. There are just some videos Boxee won't play (or do so properly) yet. The automatic scraping by Boxee is decent, but I have many home (camcorder) files, TV shows not at IMDb, and other custom videos, so thinking of using YANFOE along with YAMJ w/AEON.

Damain, would you recommend following your old YAMJ/AEON guide or the all-in-one package you just linked to?

Well, if you just want to use YAMJ without AEON then my guide explains the basics on how to set up. If you were looking to use AEON I would use the All-in-one package as it simplifies manually of the manual processed I had documented. I actually tried setting up the All-in-one package but have had issues with (nothing major, but text in the details page is black making it nearly impossible to read), so I may reviert to my old YAMJ/Aeon jukebox for the time being.

Cheers,
Damian

post #97 of 561 Old 12-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback Damian, I really didn't know about YAMJ.
post #98 of 561 Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Liked: 12
Been reading about the C200 and it's starting to sound like the device I want. That being said, one of my stumbling blocks has been the poor handling of music playback on most streamers.

Does the NMJ or some third party software give you the ability to queue up songs? IE you can select a song while one is currently playing and it's added to a queue to play after the current selection is finished.
post #99 of 561 Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Damain, would you recommend following your old YAMJ/AEON guide at MediaSmartServer or the all-in-one package you just linked to?

You know, I am on my 3rd Boxee Box though I have yet to take it out of the shrink warp. I just can't face it until they fix it a bit more. Moreover, I started playing with Plex on my Mini ( they are coming out with a Windows version fairly soon) and their Media Server. That thing just works and one can access any video in your collection from an iPad or iPhone and soon the ATV. The A210 has been bought as a gift, but it is very tempting to simply get another one for one of our TV's instead of the BBox. I am not convinced that TV via a browser is all that great.

I don't want to be too harsh on Boxee, but like GoogleTV the time may be too soon for something like that. In addition severe bandwidth caps are coming to an increasing number of Canadians which makes having a web player less than useful.

The A210 is one of the top media players in my opinion.

Philip
post #100 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
You know, I am on my 3rd Boxee Box though I have yet to take it out of the shrink warp. I just can't face it until they fix it a bit more. Moreover, I started playing with Plex on my Mini ( they are coming out with a Windows version fairly soon) and their Media Server. That thing just works and one can access any video in your collection from an iPad or iPhone and soon the ATV. The A210 has been bought as a gift, but it is very tempting to simply get another one for one of our TV's instead of the BBox. I am not convinced that TV via a browser is all that great.

I don't want to be too harsh on Boxee, but like GoogleTV the time may be too soon for something like that. In addition severe bandwidth caps are coming to an increasing number of Canadians which makes having a web player less than useful.

The A210 is one of the top media players in my opinion.

Philip
How do you compare the Boxee Box to the A210? Local content picture quality and codecs. I'm not too bothered with apps (ok, maybe just one!) and browsers just local content playing correctly! For example, in the last two years that I've had the PS3 it's played every Xvid/Divx. Do both players play MKV & Mpeg-2 TS files correctly? I understand BB has it's problems.

The reason I still haven't opted for the PCH is because of BB app Navi-X! It's brilliant!

Thanks for you help!
post #101 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The reason I still haven't opted for the PCH is because of BB app Navi-X! It's brilliant!
I've tried it out and see you can access some network (ABC, CBS, etc.) content, but what makes it brilliant? Can you elaborate...thanks.

For local media playback, right now the A200/210 and C200 are more solid than Boxee Box.

post #102 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I've tried it out and see you can access some network (ABC, CBS, etc.) content, but what makes it brilliant? Can you elaborate...thanks.

For local media playback, right now the A200/210 and C200 are more solid than Boxee Box.

Many thanks!

I just think it's a great app.

I'll give BB till the end of the year. If the issues continue, A210 is on my shopping list.

Thanks again.
post #103 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but why is it a great app? I'm trying to understand what it offers (stuff I may be missing out on; only tried a few networks like ABC, MTV, etc. in it to play online videos).

post #104 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Are you trying to catch me out?

Have a look and see, you'll be surprised!
post #105 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I see what you mean... looking at this thread on Boxee's forum.

post #106 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM

: )
post #107 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Read through the that a bit but was unable to find out how to set the region for the blue ray DVD player I installed from LG .
post #108 of 561 Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I still use Aeon + YAMH (I documented here)

Even if you want to use NMJ it is still worth setting up YAMJ simply because you can always fall back to your YAMJ jukebox if you don't like NMJ. Also, the YAMJ jukebox can easily be transitioned over to NMJ which should help reduce some of the startup time/maintenance. I believe as well that NMJ will use local art if available (so local art I have gathered for YAMJ). I actually need to try rebuilding the NMJ jukebox as some corruption I had with metadata was causing issues).

For both my C-200 and A-200 YAMJ + Aeon is still the UI we use. There is an All In One package that incorporates many of the mods I wrote about (here)
So thats your guide? I dont own a popcorn yet but want one. and like that look. is doing that install fairly easy?

Thanks
post #109 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Hello, all.

I've searched and searched for an answer - can anyone tell me if this is possible:

I have a PCH-200 with 3 x 2TB external HDDs attached to it. The PCH is hardwired to my router. The router is then hardwired to a switch in the bedroom, and I have another ethernet cable running from switch to a Boxee Box.

Is it possible for me to watch content on HDDs connected to my PCH in my living room on my bedroom TV through the Boxee Box? I feel like it ought to be possible, but I just know know how to make the Boxee Box see the content on those hard drives, or the PCH itself for that matter.

Please help...

Thanks in advance.
post #110 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanwarz View Post
Read through the that a bit but was unable to find out how to set the region for the blue ray DVD player I installed from LG .
slow + 1663 to set the Bluray region, slow + 1683 to set the DVD region.

There's also an app to erase the number of changes you've made, so it's practically region free, if that's of interest for you. You'll need RPC1/2 on the drive to make it DVD region free, however for Blurays you'll only need the app.
post #111 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post

So thats your guide? I dont own a popcorn yet but want one. and like that look. is doing that install fairly easy?

Thanks

Fairly easy to set up. The Sabish All in One package makes things much easier to set up. Probably the biggest challenge is (a) making sure your media is labeled correctly and (b) making sure you set up your video paths correctly for YAMJ

Cheers,
Damian

post #112 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaXIthR View Post

Hello, all.

I've searched and searched for an answer - can anyone tell me if this is possible:

I have a PCH-200 with 3 x 2TB external HDDs attached to it. The PCH is hardwired to my router. The router is then hardwired to a switch in the bedroom, and I have another ethernet cable running from switch to a Boxee Box.

Is it possible for me to watch content on HDDs connected to my PCH in my living room on my bedroom TV through the Boxee Box? I feel like it ought to be possible, but I just know know how to make the Boxee Box see the content on those hard drives, or the PCH itself for that matter.

Please help...

Thanks in advance.

Yes. The PCH can act as the server to the Boxee Box. You can just add those as sources in the BBox. In the PCH you should check that the NMT server app is running.Go to preferences, etc ....

Philip
post #113 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdie View Post

How do you compare the Boxee Box to the A210? Local content picture quality and codecs. I'm not too bothered with apps (ok, maybe just one!) and browsers just local content playing correctly! For example, in the last two years that I've had the PS3 it's played every Xvid/Divx. Do both players play MKV & Mpeg-2 TS files correctly? I understand BB has it's problems.

Thanks for you help!

Well for local content, the PCH is far better. It's had time to become stable. Also the A210 is fanless which is a sore point with me as I can't stand most fans and the BBox has one that is borderline acceptable.

The A210 will play more files and certainly anything your excellent PS3 can. Mkv plays of course as that is the defacto standard for these types of players, unfortunately

The BBox has been getting upgrades and they will get it right. I have a backup in that I can run Boxee from my Mini and that is pretty nice (and quiet).

The BBox is different than the c200 as it mixes the web with local stuff. The remote is less than stellar so that browsing is painful with the BBox.

Navi-X is the big question. Of course we are now moving to the shady side of things, but overlooking that it certainly delivers an incredible amount of content. The content is organized in a confusing way, but I haven't tried it enough to really figure it out.

For users outside the US VPN solutions are hampered by the BBox not supporting OpenVPN and in any case tacking on another $100/year for the BBox is of questionable value.

Anyway, I currently regard the BBox as a thing to tinker with. It does not compare favourably with the A210/C200 in my opinion. That is especially true if you already have cable or OTA TV.

The interface on the C200 with Oversight, NMJ(getting there) and YAMJ is more than enough for a very nice experience.

Philip
post #114 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well for local content, the PCH is far better. It's had time to become stable. Also the A210 is fanless which is a sore point with me as I can't stand most fans and the BBox has one that is borderline acceptable.

I think the concern with a fan as well is that with any fan (especially cheap ones these players use) there is always a chance that what you thought was a quiet fan becomes a loud fan over time. I had this happen with the Xtreamer

Cheers,
Damian

post #115 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the concern with a fan as well is that with any fan (especially cheap ones these players use) there is always a chance that what you thought was a quiet fan becomes a loud fan over time. I had this happen with the Xtreamer

Yes, this is my nightmare scenario which is why keeping the BBox or not has become a ridiculously hard decision for something that costs less than my Harmony remote...

To be frank I think this player is mediocre at best, but it has some crazy potential appeal that just keeps me hanging on. I even bought a Lenovo Multimedia remote ( pretty neat remote with a keyboard) for the BBox even though I may yet not keep that player ( but will the remote).

Philip
post #116 of 561 Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Yes. The PCH can act as the server to the Boxee Box. You can just add those as sources in the BBox. In the PCH you should check that the NMT server app is running.Go to preferences, etc ....

Philip

Thank you very much, sir. I knew it should have been possible theoretically. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.
post #117 of 561 Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks all!! My priority is local content so I think PCH wins hands down!!

Have to forget about Navi-x
post #118 of 561 Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 752
The boxee Box and the C200 are a good combination for me. the C200 for when I need to the full disc experience(or for those titles that don't work properly with BD lite)

Although if the Boxee Box added full BD menu support, I would probably not use my C200 very much any more.
That isn't going to happen so my c200 won't be going anywhere anytime soon. unless a new model comes out with the newer and faster Sigma chipset. Then I would sell my c200 and upgrade to the replacement.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #119 of 561 Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone used the C-200 with several external USB drives behind a powered USB hub? Do the C-200 recognize those drives? Thanks!

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2525P, SS-250P, MPS-2510P, S-150P
post #120 of 561 Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version