*Official* Popcorn Hour PCH-C200 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 561 Old 02-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can't speak to the external drives, but the LiteOn iHOS104 is quiet. (Of course, you could put it in an enclosure, if you need to.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 561 Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

yes you can connect a USB BD rom drive to the C200 to play BDs(or even DVDs)
I have several BD rom drives that I put in Vantec USB enclosures.

I have one connected to my C200 for the rare occassion I want to watch an actual disc. I have a PS3 in that room too, but my c200 is the preferred way that I watch a disc.

Thanks for this info but I was wondering for a200 or a210!
post #183 of 561 Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

yes you can connect a USB BD rom drive to the C200 to play BDs(or even DVDs)
I have several BD rom drives that I put in Vantec USB enclosures.

I have one connected to my C200 for the rare occassion I want to watch an actual disc. I have a PS3 in that room too, but my c200 is the preferred way that I watch a disc.

Hey aaronwt, I was checking out your setup and noticed a DVDO VP50pro. Are you still using it? If so I wonder if you might do a little test for me. I know you have the C200 but do you have a Dune player? Either way, I'm curious if you might be able to confirm some information on the scaler info screen. Let me know if you still use it.

Thanks!
post #184 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
first impressions. Its huge compared to most of my new streamers but it has room for HD and BD drives inside.

Overall build quality seems OK but nothing spectacular...

Updated the firmware.......

tried to play a Movie (.ts) played for 5 seconds and then hung solid

reboot that movie played fine.

after testing 5-10 movies all audio stopped working and had to reboot.

tested some more movies managed to hang it again. rebooted, same movie played fine.

Overall, hanging the box solid 3 times in 2 hours trying to play .ts rips seemed excesive for a box thats been out this long.

Also, the C-200 has problems streaming content from my ReadyNAS which the A-110 does not have. no idea what the issue is there but it keeps prompting me for user/password saying login is needed when no other device on my network has this issue and guest access is certainly enabled. Had to use NFS to get anything at all to play of that NAS but the performance is poor and no HD files play without constant stuttering. The A-110 talking to the same server has no such issues...

so much for progress. not giving up yet, but a little more underwhelmed than I expected.

Sean
post #185 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Will there be replacement on q1 with new sigma chip?
post #186 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 AM

Liked: 10
Which year?
post #187 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
don't blame the C-200 for your network problems.
post #188 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

don't blame the C-200 for your network problems.

I agree with Gary. I got 3 NAS Devices 250 Feet away (Garage) from the C-200 and it plays everything flawless.
post #189 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer View Post
which year?
post #190 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Hey aaronwt, I was checking out your setup and noticed a DVDO VP50pro. Are you still using it? If so I wonder if you might do a little test for me. I know you have the C200 but do you have a Dune player? Either way, I'm curious if you might be able to confirm some information on the scaler info screen. Let me know if you still use it.

Thanks!

That page is almost three years old now. I think I've changed out almost every component now including my speakers. One day I need to update it. I upgraded to the DVDO DUO when it was first available. Then my VP50pro sat around for a long time and when I finally sold my VP50 pro just a couple of weeks later DVDO started doing an even trade for the DUO.

The DUO shows the same info or more than the VP50pro

I tried out the Dune players in late 2009 along with the C200. I sold my Dunes and kept my C200. Although I'm mainly using my Boxee Boxes right now for my BD ISO playback and using my C200 when I want Full BD menu playback.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #191 of 561 Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

That page is almost three years old now. I think I've changed out almost every component now including my speakers. One day I need to update it. I upgraded to the DVDO DUO when it was first available. Then my VP50pro sat around for a long time and when I finally sold my VP50 pro just a couple of weeks later DVDO started doing an even trade for the DUO.

The DUO shows the same info or more than the VP50pro

I tried out the Dune players in late 2009 along with the C200. I sold my Dunes and kept my C200. Although I'm mainly using my Boxee Boxes right now for my BD ISO playback and using my C200 when I want Full BD menu playback.

Yeah, I tried a DUO and had to return it because I needed the custom framerate stuff for my CRT projector. You are correct, the DUO does have an equally detailed if not more so information screen and that is precisely what my question is about. With the C200 playing a BD-ISO (full disc rip) what does your DUO report for colorspace from the C200? Not what the DUO is sending to your display but what the C200 is sending to the DUO.

Thanks!
post #192 of 561 Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 AM

I've tried searching the thread but couldn't find the exact answer so hopefully someone can help.

How many internal hard drives can the c-200 hold? I thought it was 2 but I'm not sure. And exactly which type of hard drives can be used in it? I'm not real familiar with computers so bear with me.

Thanks
post #193 of 561 Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

You can fit a 3.5" hard drive and a 2.5" if you so desire.

A 2.5" is the size typically found in laptops and a 3.5" is the size found in external hard drives or in tower computers. The type of bare drives are SATA.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #194 of 561 Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Well, after a month from my initial discussion with Syabas I received a "new" motherboard for my second C-200. I installed it and so far it's been flawless.

I put "new" in quotes, because the board I got back wasn't brand new. Remanufactured, I guess. (It was dusty.) I reminded myself that it was going in a case and I'd never see it again.

Now that I have both of my C-200's running smoothly, I cant wait to try the new Flash Lite skin.

Since my A-110 won't support it I'll put a hard drive in it and use it in the bedroom (with a subset of my movie collection.) I don't have Ethernet up there anyway. Yet.
post #195 of 561 Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

Well, after a month from my initial discussion with Syabas I received a "new" motherboard for my second C-200. I installed it and so far it's been flawless.

I put "new" in quotes, because the board I got back wasn't brand new. Remanufactured, I guess. (It was dusty.) I reminded myself that it was going in a case and I'd never see it again.

Now that I have both of my C-200's running smoothly, I cant wait to try the new Flash Lite skin.

Since my A-110 won't support it I'll put a hard drive in it and use it in the bedroom (with a subset of my movie collection.) I don't have Ethernet up there anyway. Yet.

The flash lite skin works well, I have had it running for a few weeks now for testing, much prefer it over the aeon HTML jukebox

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #196 of 561 Old 03-04-2011, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

The flash lite skin works well, I have had it running for a few weeks now for testing, much prefer it over the aeon HTML jukebox

I will be getting my a-210 in the next week.. Supposedly. Which skin has the fastest performance? To get the fastest response times, Should I load all the HTML and index files on flash drive plugged into the a-210 or leave on my nas?
post #197 of 561 Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I will be getting my a-210 in the next week.. Supposedly. Which skin has the fastest performance? To get the fastest response times, Should I load all the HTML and index files on flash drive plugged into the a-210 or leave on my nas?

I would assume the absolute fastest time would be storing the jukebox on an internal/attached usb drive. However TBH I have no way to confirm this as I always have my jukeboxes stored on my network (just easier to manage and allows multiple devices to access)

Cheers,
Damian

post #198 of 561 Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had the C200 for about a month now and very little time to play with it although I have watched over 10 movies on it so far.

Just solved my biggest issue where the C200 does not talk to my netgear readyNAS over SMB using guest mode. PCH A-110, Boxee, NeoTV550, and all my XBMC rigs have this problem. the problem is that it keeps asking for username password and wont accept guest no password. Searching on the readyNAS forums indicated that someone had to use the sharename for the username and now it works. Something is obviously weird with the C200 SMB support that does not exist on all the steamers mentioned. Glad this issue is resolved.

I have managed to crash the C200 2-3 times and needed to reboot. so in that respect its on par with the A-110.

The other big problem I keep having is that after a while audio stops working (no audio at all) and the only solution is to reboot. this issue does also not happen on the A-110.

They did seem to fix the HDMI handshaking issue that has plauged my A-110 and Onkyo 876 combo when switching back from24P to 60P when a movie completes. yeah.

on to jukeboxes...

already used YAMJ and my biggest gripe with it is lack of mutliple server support. I tried oversight and honestly dont know what all the excitement is about.

Its not scraping details like actor and director at all for me and I dont even get plots. that said, its a nice concept but needs work.

yesterday I updated to the latest firmware was has lots of bug fixes for NMJ and so far I am pretty impressed. Not sure if this NMJ will unify shares from different servers into a single library like oversight will.

Overall NMJ is not as pretty as YAMJ/AEON but I find the fluidity of the interface very good. it works more effectively for me than oversight.

Sean
post #199 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my Popcorn A-210 in the mail yesterday and ATTEMPTED to set it up last night. WOW do those instructions SUCK. My main thing I was trying to do was give it access to my network Share location to see my movies, which is password and user name protected. I went into Network Share section under setup and typed in my IP Address for my server, but every time I clicked save, it said bad IP address.

Is there better documentation on how to set this thing up? I would think there would be a UI for browsing to the folder then ask me to enter username and password for accessing like on my WD Live.

Please help.
post #200 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I got my Popcorn A-210 in the mail yesterday and ATTEMPTED to set it up last night. WOW do those instructions SUCK. My main thing I was trying to do was give it access to my network Share location to see my movies, which is password and user name protected. I went into Network Share section under setup and typed in my IP Address for my server, but every time I clicked save, it said bad IP address.

Is there better documentation on how to set this thing up? I would think there would be a UI for browsing to the folder then ask me to enter username and password for accessing like on my WD Live.

Please help.

Did you try browsing to your share (should be via Workgroup in the Network Setup section)

Cheers,
Damian

post #201 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Did you try browsing to your share (should be via Workgroup in the Network Setup section)

I believe I tried looking all around for some browse feature, but could not find anything like that. I remember there was an option to click by server //SPANKY (being my WHS) but when I clicked the option it came back with message like "No data found" or something like that. I kept expecting it to say, please enter account info or something to allow me to access the share.

can you let me know what exactly I should be selecting to get to the Workgroups in Network Setup section? I will try later tonight.
post #202 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Please help.

Look at your other (duplicate) post; I gave you some more info. Try not to post the same thing in two different threads, too - it just makes answering the questions harder IMO.
post #203 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wasn't there a new firmware update for the C200 recently?

LED DLP

post #204 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes March 11th.....

another bug I have observed which does not exist on the A-110 is that the "workgroup" SMB browse aspect will randomly disapear (Literally the menu option disapears and all I get is NFS). sometimes rebooting this will fix it but often not. The C-200 says there are no SMB servers on my network here when in fact there are 9.

directly typing the hostname or ip address into the network share setup works fine but for some reason browsing is very intermittent on the C-200 while it works fine on the A-110.

Sean
post #205 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Yes March 11th.....

another bug I have observed which does not exist on the A-110 is that the "workgroup" SMB browse aspect will randomly disapear (Literally the menu option disapears and all I get is NFS). sometimes rebooting this will fix it but often not. The C-200 says there are no SMB servers on my network here when in fact there are 9.

directly typing the hostname or ip address into the network share setup works fine but for some reason browsing is very intermittent on the C-200 while it works fine on the A-110.

Sean

Is this is a problem with the new firmware? I've never seen it on the previous firmwares.

LED DLP

post #206 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post

Look at your other (duplicate) post; I gave you some more info. Try not to post the same thing in two different threads, too - it just makes answering the questions harder IMO.

I saw.thank you. It was a bad Ethernet cable causing the problems. Fixed and up and going.
post #207 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this is a problem with the new firmware? I've never seen it on the previous firmwares.

Yes it has existed on all 3 firmwares I have had on the C-200.

Overall other than being faster GUI and playing BD-ISO and better MKV support which are improvements over the A-110. The A-110 is a more stable and robust device.

Update: NMJ finished scanning my main media library not just one server I have that has nothing but BD rips on it. Took almost 2 days (extremely slow). XBMC will do this in 3 hours.

The issue I am having now is when I open hit the blue button for videos it just sits there and says verifying database. Lets see if it finishes verifying by morning.

Anyone here actually use NMJ?

Sean
post #208 of 561 Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I tried oversight and honestly dont know what all the excitement is about.

Its not scraping details like actor and director at all for me and I dont even get plots. that said, its a nice concept but needs work.

[ ]

Overall NMJ is not as pretty as YAMJ/AEON but I find the fluidity of the interface very good. it works more effectively for me than oversight.

Sean

Hmm ... which version of Oversight are you using? I gets plots, directors, and actors. There is a new version in testing that will vastly improve foreign film scraping, but the current one v2.0 r1426 works fine with imdb provided you set the scraping imdb_source to mobile.

Oversight has watch folders which are very handy for monitoring collections that change rapidly like TV recordings. That is a big deal for me at any rate. Noone else seems to do it right. It also sorts posters by the age you added them to the collection and does it right. Apart from Plex, it certainly is scraping better than say XBMC. Don't know about YAMJ.

I haven't tried NMJ much. Sounds like it is getting better though. When it first came out I had trouble with the notion of telling it exclude various collections.

The scraping thing is interesting. I used to think XBMC was the way to go. I am not so sure any more. Plex's Media Server is far better from a metadata point of view. I can also see the point of YAMJ type programs which allow you to centralize things. I guess it's a matter of taste.

One thing, I recently looked at a few shows with my C200 ( had been playing with XBMC related things on different units) and the picture quality was truly nice. Colours were great. Remote has nice options. It's even better than I recall

philip
post #209 of 561 Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes it has existed on all 3 firmwares I have had on the C-200.

Overall other than being faster GUI and playing BD-ISO and better MKV support which are improvements over the A-110. The A-110 is a more stable and robust device.

Update: NMJ finished scanning my main media library not just one server I have that has nothing but BD rips on it. Took almost 2 days (extremely slow). XBMC will do this in 3 hours.

The issue I am having now is when I open hit the blue button for videos it just sits there and says verifying database. Lets see if it finishes verifying by morning.

Anyone here actually use NMJ?

Sean

I've been using NMJ since they made it available. It is slow with intial scan, and I also had that issue once with the verifying database. I needed to delete the file it creates to solve the problem and then it rescanned and I have not seen the problem since. But this is also with the last firmware. I need to update to the new firmware if I remember when i get home tonight.

LED DLP

post #210 of 561 Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Crap!! I forgot to load the firmware again.

LED DLP

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Popcorn Hour C 200 Networked Media Tank Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page