*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > *Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread
mzaur's Avatar mzaur 09:54 PM 11-02-2010
That's odd. Isn't it the same chipset and everything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

csrini1's Avatar csrini1 10:12 PM 11-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

That's odd. Isn't it the same chipset and everything?

you beat me to the question. That's exactly what i was thinking, same chipset in both plus and hub.
jakmal's Avatar jakmal 10:15 PM 11-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

you beat me to the question. That's exactly what i was thinking, same chipset in both plus and hub.

It is quite possible that there is a firmware fix in the Hub to better detect the EDID information from the OP's display compared to what was in the Live+. The colour space output may be different or something to that effect. It would be interesting to know what are the 'Video Output Settings' that the OP has? Maybe it is set on Auto ...?
mzaur's Avatar mzaur 05:28 AM 11-03-2010
Can anyone else confirm that the Hub has better PQ than the Live+ ?
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 07:13 AM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinat420 View Post

I was not able to get the wdtv hub display on my computer monitor with a dvi output...even though i had a hdmi to dvdi cable...

Since i am using a projector in my bedroom which has no network cable i was simply trying to get my movie collection on the internal drive...

I was trying to get into the configuation menu that you access from here:

http://192.168.0.5/index.php

and amazingly it asks me for a password.

I could not find a password in any of the documentation and when i called tech support at wd they were clueless.

Pretty frustrating...i decided to order a wirless n access point for 70 bucks to try to alleviate this problem...so then i can connect to the network from my bedroom... i have no idea if this is going to work.

I think you are confused. There's no webserver at http://[hub IP]/admin.php.

The WebUI screen begins at http://[hub ip]/ ... WITHOUT any document name.

The password is listed on page 71 of the manual.

... and how are you connecting to it if you have no network cable, and no wireless?

...To get movies on the internal drive WITHOUT a network, you're going to need to transfer them from an EXTERNAL drive plugged into the USB port.
hal90002010's Avatar hal90002010 01:20 PM 11-03-2010
Yes I absolutely can confirm the Hub has a 66% better picture than the live.

you betcha.

(subjective and hdtv dependent)
DevonS's Avatar DevonS 03:19 PM 11-03-2010
Sounds like this may be perfect for me. I just spent a few bucks getting my old-ish PC set up with Win7 and Media Center. Used it for a few months and now the damn thing won't boot up. So I need storage and a player. This will fit the bill. For now the lack of bitstreaming is a non-issue. I'm not ripping my collection of BD any time soon, so this is mostly for torrented TV shows and kids movies and such. If I can recover my CD collection from the Win7 piece-of-sh!t, I'll throw them on there too. Anyone used this for CD media yet? Does it get the cool cover-art for this too?
zoro's Avatar zoro 03:34 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal90002010 View Post

you betcha.

Thanks ! Can we have Damian to comment please?
mzaur's Avatar mzaur 05:02 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal90002010 View Post

you betcha.

66% eh? thanks for the accurate measurement

I'm going to BB to pick one up tonight.
epayne11's Avatar epayne11 06:49 PM 11-03-2010
Is there any way to combine network shares into one media library on the Hub?

I am a long time user of Media Browser on my HTPC, My movie content is on several drives and shares on the network. Media Browser does a nice job of configureing multiple share locations into what appears to just be one library in Media Browser.

So under a "Movies" folder\\section inside of Media Browser where I see all 400+ of my movies, it actually is combining all 6 shares I have on the network.

On the hub I see the list of 6 share on my network, problem is when I rip a new movie I put them in different shares for different reasons. When I am on the hub, I have to remember which share the new dvd rip is. Go through and searching each share is a little slow.

Does this make sense?

Thanks guys.
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 08:02 PM 11-03-2010
Unfortunately, epayne, that's not possible. That's a great idea though, since the hub KNOWS where everything is (from the Media Library), it OUGHT to be able to do it... Go bug WD, cuz I want that, too.
candre23's Avatar candre23 08:09 PM 11-03-2010
FYI - the live hub cannot handle the S-MPEG 4 v2 video codec. It's a bit of an obscure codec, but it's what all my old MST3K episodes (from the digital archive project) are encoded in. Not a deal breaker or anything, but worth noting.
jakmal's Avatar jakmal 08:11 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post
FYI - the live hub cannot handle the S-MPEG 4 v2 video codec. It's a bit of an obscure codec, but it's what all my old MST3K episodes (from the digital archive project) are encoded in. Not a deal breaker or anything, but worth noting.
Can you upload and link us to a sample video? 2 min clip would be great!
zoro's Avatar zoro 08:25 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post
Hi Ganesh,

as you were the one to review this da first thing and live [plus too.

can you verify Hub having 60% advantage in video/pq over live or live plus please?
jakmal's Avatar jakmal 08:33 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Hi Ganesh,

as you were the one to review this da first thing and live [plus too.

can you verify Hub having 60% advantage in video/pq over live or live plus please?

zoro, The Live+ was reviewed by my colleague, Cameron. I don't have access to that unit and Cameron doesn't have access to the Live Hub. So, we are unable to confirm the perceived picture quality betterment. That said, I do have access to the original Live, and I have to say that the Live Hub does seem to provide a more pleasing picture on the same display (but I haven't done a side by side comparison).

I also explained the possible cause for a 'better picture quality' in one of my previous posts (EDID detection is good).
mzaur's Avatar mzaur 09:57 PM 11-03-2010
The Hub isn't playing too well with me :/

I'm using this with two TVs. One is a Sony CRT with Component in that does 1080i. The other is a Samsung LCD with HDMI and 1080p. I first put the Hub into the Sony and at first the display was all messed up but it eventually detected everything and output worked fine. I then plugged it into the LCD through HDMI and that worked fine too, but when I plugged it back into the Sony through component, the display is still messed up. I'm guessing the setting is still in 1080p mode or something. I'm getting some picture but it looks like a scrambled cable channel. My TV just isn't supporting the input that it's getting from the Hub. I'm using latest firmware and I tried powering the Hub on and off. Not sure what else to do. I even tried the device reset thing, but it still won't output properly to my CRT HDTV :/

EDIT: I found a solution, but it's annoying. I hope WD releases an update that fixes the video auto detect. Seems that the switch from HDMI back to Component doesn't properly work. What I had to do was plug my CRT in through Composite, go to Video settings, and change it to Component 1080i, then I went back into Component mode and it works fine.

This might be one gripe that I'll have to live with, unless I find other more serious annoyances. The Hub is excellent. The unit itself is very small and seems very well made. Remote is nice too. The UI is what really makes this thing shine. It's very well done. As for file support, I've been playing mkv, xvid, m2s with no issues. 1080p looks great.
candre23's Avatar candre23 10:03 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post
Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?ck7pprx30qo7o7f
mzaur's Avatar mzaur 10:45 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:

LOL what a strange video

Yeah I can confirm it doesn't work on the Hub. Is there a particular advantage that this codec has?

I can also confirm that converting this file to XVID or any other codec is possible with the free Super converter available here http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html (scroll down to bottom)

PM me if you need any help doing that.
jakmal's Avatar jakmal 10:54 PM 11-03-2010
Quote:
Thank you very much! I am considering adding this to our test suite. I will first see how it fares on other media players.
mzaur's Avatar mzaur 11:56 PM 11-03-2010
Ganesh,

In your review you said "The 1 TB internal hard disk is the WD Scorpio Blue. Unfortunately, the unit doesn't seem to be easily user serviceable."

I was thinking...if the internal drive fails after the 1 year warranty, would it be too hard to just buy another one and replace it? Looking at the picture you took of the insides, there are screws that keep the hard drive in place. So I'm curious what you meant by 'easily user serviceable'
jakmal's Avatar jakmal 12:12 AM 11-04-2010
Quote:
Ganesh,

In your review you said "The 1 TB internal hard disk is the WD Scorpio Blue. Unfortunately, the unit doesn't seem to be easily user serviceable."

I was thinking...if the internal drive fails after the 1 year warranty, would it be too hard to just buy another one and replace it? Looking at the picture you took of the insides, there are screws that keep the hard drive in place. So I'm curious what you meant by 'easily user serviceable'
I think in addition to the screws, the SATA connector itself is placed in such a way that taking out the hard disk is not straightforward like what it is with units like the TViX Slim S1 or Micca Slim-HD. Also, WD PR indicated that the hard disk is not user serviceable. Of course, one can always try to change the HD, but I would recommend against it.
Steno's Avatar Steno 08:11 AM 11-04-2010
Anyone knows if it possible to transfer files to the Hub with FTP?
candre23's Avatar candre23 09:16 AM 11-04-2010
Quote:

LOL what a strange video
Is there a particular advantage that this codec has?

It's the opening sequence to one of my favorite shows from the 90s. There is no real benefit to this codec - it's old and inefficient by current standards. At the time these episodes were encoded, divx was very new and xvid did not exist yet (let alone h.264). Still, it is an official MPEG codec variant, so I would have thought it would have been included in the live hub's compatibility list.
Will Munshower's Avatar Will Munshower 09:34 AM 11-04-2010
I just got an email from WD with this link:

http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...catid.13742300

It looks like you can buy directly from WD. I'm not sure if this is old news. If it is, my apologies...
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 01:56 PM 11-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steno View Post

No, it's not.
racemanfl's Avatar racemanfl 05:31 PM 11-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

I just got an email from WD with this link:

http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...catid.13742300

It looks like you can buy directly from WD. I'm not sure if this is old news. If it is, my apologies...

Yea its old
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 06:33 PM 11-04-2010
Anyone else notice this streamer has the Chroma bug where red is distorted? I was comparing its output to the Apple TV and noticed the credits for Mad Men (streamed DVD) looked a lot worse and finally realized it was just the red credits. MAD is in red all distorted and MEN is in black and looks fine.

UPDATE: For some reason the red titles are only goofed up on one episode so it must be the source.
Warrior King's Avatar Warrior King 12:15 AM 11-05-2010
Not sure if this as been posted but it looks like the hub is up on BB US website just ordered one will pick up today......live + is going back.
Digz's Avatar Digz 02:27 AM 11-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steno View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

No, it's not.

How do you transfer files to the Hub drive then ?
candre23's Avatar candre23 07:04 AM 11-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz View Post

How do you transfer files to the Hub drive then ?

It shows up as a standard network share.
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop