*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2247 Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So what is the convention for storing movies to have a nice view of metadata? Naming convention on a file? My old HTPC kicked ass with MediaBrowser. Put a folder on the drive like this "Movie Name (year)" and it would find it. Using that same structure, I get nothing until I drill down to the actual video file, select the option to download content info, and then put the name of the movie in there (file names are crap as of now... may have to rename). Am I supposed to just dump all the video files in one directory?

And what about TV shows and seasons? Doesn't seem to get anything with the one or two I tried. Coming from HTPC, this is definitly lacking the wow-factor of automagically downloaded and rendered cover art and synopsis data.

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis05 View Post

There are 1 TB based media player/streamers in market around $129.

Such as?
post #453 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis05 View Post

There are 1 TB based media player/streamers in market around $129.

I guess all cars and houses should sell at the same price too.
post #454 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

So what is the convention for storing movies to have a nice view of metadata? Naming convention on a file? My old HTPC kicked ass with MediaBrowser. Put a folder on the drive like this "Movie Name (year)" and it would find it. Using that same structure, I get nothing until I drill down to the actual video file, select the option to download content info, and then put the name of the movie in there (file names are crap as of now... may have to rename). Am I supposed to just dump all the video files in one directory?

And what about TV shows and seasons? Doesn't seem to get anything with the one or two I tried. Coming from HTPC, this is definitly lacking the wow-factor of automagically downloaded and rendered cover art and synopsis data.

No, the folder structure has nothing to do with metadata. It does not matter if there is one folder or 40. It DOES only use the filename as a search key, though, regardless of the folder name.
post #455 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Liked: 10
I have the Media Hub in my basement and a pc up stairs connected wireless n and this morning I ripped DVD using DVD Fab which I have done before . On my Z drive I can see my rip but when I went to play it back it wasn't there on my Media Hub any ideas ?
post #456 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf View Post

I have the Media Hub in my basement and a pc up stairs connected wireless n and this morning I ripped DVD using DVD Fab which I have done before . On my Z drive I can see my rip but when I went to play it back it wasn't there on my Media Hub any ideas ?

You need to go into the media library setting and turn it off and then back on. It will re-index your media library and it will show up. This is actually one of the things that bugs me about the Hub.
post #457 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchambers View Post

Thanks for the info! I'll try hooking the HDMI into my pj and see what happens as well as trying a few different HDMI cables and then I'll see how component works. Everything else worked great, it was just when I tried to stream from Netflix.

Anyone know when PlayOn will be fixed. It finds it as a media server but doesn't list anything. If I can get Hulu on this thing then I'm definitely getting rid of cable.

Another thing, has anyone hooked up a usb DVD drive and gotten it to work?

Thanks!

J

Using component cable worked great for netflix. Didn't get a chance to see how the hdmi worked on my pj. Has PlayOn worked at all on this? I've read PlayOn works with the Plus as well as it having Netflix so if the Hub doesn't get fixed soon, then I'll just return it and get the Plus.
post #458 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the tip , while I waited I made copy of the file renamed it and it there . One more thing last night rip some CD's and they showed up without any fuss ?
post #459 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
PlayOn works for me. Make sure that you're under Files not Videos. I remember that only Files worked for me.
post #460 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

PlayOn works for me. Make sure that you're under Files not Videos. I remember that only Files worked for me.

Ahhh... sweet! Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out tonight.

J
post #461 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf View Post

Thanks for the tip , while I waited I made copy of the file renamed it and it there . One more thing last night rip some CD's and they showed up without any fuss ?

Seems the hub is Fussy on this aspect. I've sat there and added folder and file jpgs (for thumbnails) and watched MOST of them pop up, right on the screen, without having to do ANY type of refresh, within 2 or 3 seconds.

But others: Won't update at all unless it refreshes the media library manually.

Odd.
post #462 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 PM

When you connect to a Network Share how do you REFRESH it so you can see new content???

Also of note: the HUB supports 'Header Removal' or 'Header Compression' or whatever the f** you want to call it. WOOT!!!

"The Matroska specification allows for a form of compression called Header Removal, that before recently was rarely encountered. The WDTV Live players do not yet support this form of compression, and may not give an error if it's encountered.

Recent versions (Version 4.1.0, July 1, 2010 and later) of the popular MKVMerge tool (which is used to create many MKV files) turn this feature ON by default on audio and certain video tracks."
post #463 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

MocoMan: The QUICKEST way to do a refresh is to shut it off then turn it back on (as in HARD power down by holding the power switch 3s or longer.)
Another way is to go into Settings and turn MEDIA LIBRARY OFF, then turn it back on.

Either way, the next time you visit your network share, it will re-compile the media library.
post #464 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM

I downloaded a few movies on the internal drive, when I go to USB it brings up my Toshiba but only the 3 movies that I downloaded come up. I called tech support and they where no help. I have an older WD that connects with the Toshiba with no problems.
post #465 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

joez: A couple of possibilities: The media library needs refreshing (see a few posts up for how) or the file extension isn't supported on the hub. Give us more info.
post #466 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM

gday guys just wondering if the wd hub syncs with i tunes and displays cover art with out to much probs or can you store itunes library on the unit ,i am thinking of getting rid of my 160 apple tv for one of these but love the way the apple tv shows of the music library, any help would be awsome thank !
post #467 of 2247 Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 PM

some food for thought regarding metadata and the thumbnail images:

I turned the media-library feature off because it was not re-scanning my network shares, so new files were not showing up.

I then started adding thumbnails for all of my media on the attached USB drive.
The Hub generates a cache of images in the root of the USB drive as a hidden folder called ".wd_tv"

When I went to change or fix images, the Hub did not update the thumbs.
I deleted the hidden folder, then navigated back in with the Hub, and it still had the original thumbnails.

I deleted the hidden folder a second time and did a forced-hard reboot (unplugged), then the Hub updated my thumbnails as it rescanned.

The moral: it creates a cache on the USB drive and stores it in internal memory.

-Dave
post #468 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 AM

Does not Not Play back 3D BD ISO in 3D only 2D.

I have hooked up to 3DTV and there is no HDMI 1.4 handshake.

The Player says that it can't play menus and will play main movie. Sadly its 2D not 3D. Bummer

Also the MetaData is abust for me.

I though that you could create Aggregated Libraries from NAS or Files Stored another network share on another PC and then it would pull in Meta Data from the net...like Boxee/XMBC or Media Browser. Not the Case.

Appears Library is only for Local or USB Drives. And you have to manually add your own file images.

Big Let Down.

Other than Bigger Remote....A Little Nicer Interface, 1 TB Drive, Blockbuster, Accuweather, Facebook, and Twonky Media Server I see little benefit over the Live Plus I just replaced.

Other Things to consider:
1) it never really Shuts Down. Even in Off...NIC is stil active, and HDD & Fan are spinning.
2)Can NOT be used as Local SLAve USB drive...
3) No cabgle included....unlike previous units this has full size composite and component jacks instead of previous mini outputs which came with supply cable packs. So now you get not a single cable gratis.
4) More things to fail both the Player or Drive in One Box.
5) Where is Hulu Plus?
6) Why can't the Live Plus be upgraded to this Mochii Firmware/Interface?

On positive Side it doe shave Twonky Media Server Built in.

Based upon the fact that Media Library only works on Local/USB Drives....and HDMI 1.4 3D support is not implemented, This is a total Failure for My uses.

Back to Best Buy I must go.....
post #469 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 AM

I'm ripping my DVD's to my Media Hub with wireless n and when I playback my video it is either pixelated and/or has audio drops do you guys think it is my wireless network ?
post #470 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulloren View Post

1) it never really Shuts Down. Even in Off...NIC is stil active, and HDD & Fan are spinning.

This is actually sort of good, because the unit can act as a low power NAS. Files can still be transferred back and forth even when the unit is powered off.

Quote:

Based upon the fact that Media Library only works on Local/USB Drives....and HDMI 1.4 3D support is not implemented, This is a total Failure for My uses.

There is no media streamer in the market currently capable of 3D Blu-Ray backup. Good luck finding one that is not a a HTPC (If you want a readymade solution, look at something like the ASRock Vision 3D HTPC. It has proper 3D Blu-Ray ISO support, but it is going to cost you $999, the price you have to pay for being an early adopter! Otherwise, you can always build a HTPC for around $400 - $500 and put in a nV GT 430 or 450, though I suspect it will never reach the form factor of the Vision 3D HTPC).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #471 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I though that you could create Aggregated Libraries from NAS or Files Stored another network share on another PC and then it would pull in Meta Data from the net...like Boxee/XMBC or Media Browser. Not the Case.

Appears Library is only for Local or USB Drives. And you have to manually add your own file images.

Big Let Down.

Other than Bigger Remote....A Little Nicer Interface, 1 TB Drive, Blockbuster, Accuweather, Facebook, and Twonky Media Server I see little benefit over the Live Plus I just replaced.

2)Can NOT be used as Local SLAve USB drive...
3) No cabgle included....unlike previous units this has full size composite and component jacks instead of previous mini outputs which came with supply cable packs. So now you get not a single cable gratis.
4) More things to fail both the Player or Drive in One Box.
5) Where is Hulu Plus?
6) Why can't the Live Plus be upgraded to this Mochii Firmware/Interface?

On positive Side it doe shave Twonky Media Server Built in.

Back to Best Buy I must go.....

On the Metadata library: It absolutely DOES form a library for all NAS devices, as well as USB and internal storage. It's not a CONSOLIDATED library for everything, there's one library per server.

You don't have to manually add images, either. For supported file types, it can fetch images and metadata from internet sources.

1) It's not supposed to shut down, unless you want it to. If you want it COMPLETELY off, as the manual instructs, you hold the power button down for 3 seconds or longer.
3) Previous units use proprietary jacks. Without including cables, it would have been useless.
6) Large dependence on local storage. Doesn't exist on other units.
post #472 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 AM

I was ready to pull the trigger and purchase the WD Live TV Hub, but now not so sure now that the Boxee Box D-Link is out. I know the boxee will cost more when I pair it with an external drive, but which one has better performance and overall features?
post #473 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Thank you WDFan1970 it working know
post #474 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

This is actually sort of good, because the unit can act as a low power NAS. Files can still be transferred back and forth even when the unit is powered off.

There is no media streamer in the market currently capable of 3D Blu-Ray backup. Good luck finding one that is not a a HTPC (If you want a readymade solution, look at something like the ASRock Vision 3D HTPC. It has proper 3D Blu-Ray ISO support, but it is going to cost you $999, the price you have to pay for being an early adopter! Otherwise, you can always build a HTPC for around $400 - $500 and put in a nV GT 430 or 450, though I suspect it will never reach the form factor of the Vision 3D HTPC).

Jakmal,

Thanks already have HTpc with 3D capability. I was looking for the small form factor.

I guess my point is what good is advertising HDMI 1.4 if it doesn't support 3D Blu Ray ISO. Also does this 1.4 version support Ethernet over HDMI?

If no to both...then why boast about HDMI 1.4?

And yes, after I posted I realized that it is on all times because it acts as a NAS.

Regarding Value- How Much is the Cheapest 1TB NAS with Twonkey Media Server one could get?

So still trying to determine how good of a value is This Hub at $199 vs the $99 Live Plus along with 1TB NAS.
post #475 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jakmal,

Thanks already have HTpc with 3D capability. I was looking for the small form factor.

The Vision 3D has a mini-ITX form factor, and as far as footprint goes, it is approximately same as the WDTV Live Hub (height is more, though).

Quote:
I guess my point is what good is advertising HDMI 1.4 if it doesn't support 3D Blu Ray ISO. Also does this 1.4 version support Ethernet over HDMI?

If no to both...then why boast about HDMI 1.4?

HDMI licensing authority states that as long as a source can talk to a sink of particular HDMI version, it can claim to be compatible with the sink's version even if it doesn't support all the necessary requirements ('vendors need to support only a subset of features that are necessary in their market' is the exact wording). In the end, it is all marketing talk. It is for us to identify whether it satisfies our requirements or not

Quote:
Regarding Value- How Much is the Cheapest 1TB NAS with Twonkey Media Server one could get?

So still trying to determine how good of a value is This Hub at $199 vs the $99 Live Plus along with 1TB NAS.

For this, I can definitely say that the WDTV Live Hub is a better deal. A 1 TB NAS + Live Plus is not going to be portable, while this one is quite light and can easily be carried around. The '2 component' option will also be costlier, though I don't have any real price information (and actually if you are going for a separate NAS, 1 TB is really a very small amount of storage).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #476 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

On the Metadata library: It absolutely DOES form a library for all NAS devices, as well as USB and internal storage. It's not a CONSOLIDATED library for everything, there's one library per server.

You don't have to manually add images, either. For supported file types, it can fetch images and metadata from internet sources.

1) It's not supposed to shut down, unless you want it to. If you want it COMPLETELY off, as the manual instructs, you hold the power button down for 3 seconds or longer.
3) Previous units use proprietary jacks. Without including cables, it would have been useless.
6) Large dependence on local storage. Doesn't exist on other units.

Regarding the Library. Yes, I now see that it creates separate searchable libraries for each share....and the Meta Data requires you to manually Request Online Data for each file by pressing Options> Get Online Content.

This approach would take one forever if they have Hundreds of Movies, Music, Videos etc. Also it completely fails to get Data for TV shows.

Boxee in this regards is 1000% Times Better: a Single Consolidated Library and once I specify shares to include...it pulls in meta data for everything automatically included episodic TV descriptions( you may have to go back and make some manual fine tunes). In this regards the WDTV Hub fails for me.

Regarding the cables, I would have much preferred the continuation of Mini Connectors for analog.....they possibly could have made the unit even smaller and for travel......to hotels or relatives homes...that may not have HDMI...the mini cables are lot easier to carry around...plus they are included for free.

The one thing I still haven't tested is the Delete option from a Network Share. The Previous Live Plus would only delete from local USB drive.

Anybody try to delete from Network yet?
post #477 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

>>> The one thing I still haven't tested is the Delete option from a Network Share.
>>> The Previous Live Plus would only delete from local USB drive.
>>> Anybody try to delete from Network yet?

It works... I'm pretty sure it works on ALL the Lives. It's been a long time since I tried, though.
post #478 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

For those that care:

The Metadata comes from themoviedb.org

Hmm... so I guess we're only supposed to watch movies with this thing. Sorry folks... delete all your TV series videos.

Spent the better part of 2 evenings selecting each video file and renaming and then "getting content info" wow, that was fun

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #479 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM

WDTV Live HUB as a NAS:
1) No FTP or any kind of Remote Access outside the Local Network.

WDTV LIVE HUB as Local Drive:
1) No Slave USB Support, so if I go over to Aunt Millie, i simply can't plug it into her PC to give here a photo. I would have to carry along a seperate USB drive to copy media to and then copy to here pc or I would have to set it up on her network, provided she had a network.

Online Content:
1)No Hulu Plus: Both Boxee & Roku(Netgear) have announced Hulu Plus
2)No Browser-Google TV & Boxee have Browsers

WIFI:
1) Still Not baked(requires usb dongle) while both Roku & Boxee have wireless N

So I guess in 4 Months from now we will all be upgrading to the WDTV Live Hub Plus to at least get HULU.
post #480 of 2247 Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

Hmm... so I guess we're only supposed to watch movies with this thing. Sorry folks... delete all your TV series videos.

Spent the better part of 2 evenings selecting each video file and renaming and then "getting content info" wow, that was fun

Were you able to get any meta data for TV Shows.

Yes, the Manual Get Content Feature for each file is a total failure. Why the FUGK couldnt it be automated like Boxee/XBMC etc?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page