*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would say you are in the perfect position to test both of them and give an honest review.

FWIW I am happy with the Hub. Only issue I have is related to the names of images being duplicates from the site that supplies the artwork and such. Rewind is slower than I would like, even on x16, but that is not a big deal.

My home theater, 16 years and growing in the making (bought the main 5.5's new in 1995)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
I would say you are in the perfect position to test both of them and give an honest review.

FWIW I am happy with the Hub. Only issue I have is related to the names of images being duplicates from the site that supplies the artwork and such. Rewind is slower than I would like, even on x16, but that is not a big deal.
Do you stream from a network drive? The impression I had is that you have to decide where your files are. If they are on a network drive then you can't scrape from the internal drive and vice versa. Is that the case?

Are both component and hdmi outputs active?

philip
post #813 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM

You can play media from both the internal drive, network share, or DLNA server. The media library works on both. I do not use component output, only HDMI.

My home theater, 16 years and growing in the making (bought the main 5.5's new in 1995)
post #814 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does the hub support NFS?

If so, can you buy a hub without a hard drive? What is the chipset in it?

I use my Dune Prime as my primary player, but thinking of getting a different player for my bedroom to really just play around with. I already torched my Xtreamer with lighter fluid and don't use my PC A200 much anymore. Hate that menu system.
post #815 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess I'll answer my own question.

Does not support NFS. Bummer, since the Ethernet really only goes up to 12MB/sec max. VERY lame for something called a NAS. Actually a joke. The chipset is Sigma 8654AD. Unfortunately it doesn't even support blu-ray ISO. I guess I'm just so used to the Dune supporting and having everything it makes other devices seem not worth looking into. I guess another Dune may be my only choice.
post #816 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE
You can play media from both the internal drive, network share, or DLNA server. The media library works on both. I do not use component output, only HDMI.
So you can add several sources and it will get metadata from imdb or wherever for all of them? Does it store the metadata ( movie posters and descriptions, tv descriptions, etc ...) on the local drive or on the drive where the files are residing? Sounds pretty good if it can scrape in a flexible way. If you browse using cover art does the GUI slow down a lot?

Philip
post #817 of 2252 Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 PM

Opentoe,

Nowhere on the box or in the manual does it call itself a NAS.

The HUB also plays bluray ISOs just fine, just not menus yet.

Hal90002010 Conquerer of the Great Barrier
post #818 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 PM

I picked up the WD TV Live hub a few weeks ago. Connected it to my HP Home Server by way of a share (asked for a username and password). Everything worked great, and I was able to scrape DVD cover art for my movie collection. I applied the last firmware update, and I believe since then something has changed. I can not longer see my HP Home server as a share, just as a Media Server. It still plays my content fine, but I can no longer see any of the cover art I had painstakingly configured! In fact, my options button on the remote doesn't do anything when I highlight one of my movies. It used to give me a number of options.

I've tried a factory reset, but for the life of me I can't get my HP home server to show up as a Network Share. My computer shows up though. How the heck do I get this working again?

-Mike
post #819 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdd1 View Post

I picked up the WD TV Live hub a few weeks ago. Connected it to my HP Home Server by way of a share (asked for a username and password). Everything worked great, and I was able to scrape DVD cover art for my movie collection. I applied the last firmware update, and I believe since then something has changed. I can not longer see my HP Home server as a share, just as a Media Server. It still plays my content fine, but I can no longer see any of the cover art I had painstakingly configured! In fact, my options button on the remote doesn't do anything when I highlight one of my movies. It used to give me a number of options.

I've tried a factory reset, but for the life of me I can't get my HP home server to show up as a Network Share. My computer shows up though. How the heck do I get this working again?

-Mike

Roll it back to the prior release of firmware. There's instructions in the WD knowledge base to tell you how,
post #820 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 03:57 PM

Any idea where those instructions are? I grabbed a copy of the 2.02.16 software from another site, but the unit doesn't recognize it, or does but won't offer to "upgrade" because it's an older release? How do I get around that?

-Mike
post #821 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdd1 View Post

Any idea where those instructions are? I grabbed a copy of the 2.02.16 software from another site, but the unit doesn't recognize it, or does but won't offer to "upgrade" because it's an older release? How do I get around that?

-Mike

Oops, I went looking.. Turns out the instructions are only for the live or live plus.
post #822 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 06:41 PM

mdd1,
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....p?p_faqid=5800
Here is the instructions for the live and the plus.

Works the same way with the hub.

Do not see a preset rollback firmware download for the hub yet.

post #823 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Would someone please comment on the fan noise, if any, that comes from the unit? How does it compare with the noise from the fan in the Boxee Box? Thank you.

Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneniamat View Post

There is noticeable fan noise. I can't compare to boxee though.

Mine has been completely and totally silent unless you put your ear against the fan (so far, about 2 months).
post #824 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

My Boxee Box fan is a 1970's Cadillac Rattle-Trap compared to the Hub...
post #825 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Are you sure about this? I tested out with a few M2TS files myself, and only the core DTS track (and not the master audio) is bitstreamed out (on both Live and LiveHub). So, we do get the audio, but not the DTS-HD MSTR display on the AVR.

On the improvements side, TrueHD in MKV now bitstreams. Earlier only TrueHD in M2TS was supported (in Live and Live+).

I'm having a problem with the WDTV Live Hub where it stutters on mkv's with a dolby true hd track if they are streamed over the network. If I copy the file to the hub's internal drive, it will play fine. An M2TS version of the same movie will stream fine over the network but the mkv version won't. I've tried streaming from my vista machine and my unraid server. The problem is unrelated to bit rate as very high bitrate movies with DTS HD MA stream fine in mkv, M2TS versions of the same movie stream fine with True HD and they all play fine on my Dune D1. They are streamed over a full gigabit network with the hub, the computer, the Dune and the server all on the same DLink gigabit switch. I've cleared the internal hard drive, reset the unit using a paperclip, let it sit unplugged overnight and still no joy. The problem is only with mkv's with Dolby True HD streamed over the network. Any one have any ideas? If I can't fix this, I'll have to get rid of it and buy a different media player. Movies I've tried so far are Star Trek, Braveheart, Four Christmases (very low bit rate) and Clear and Present Danger. I reripped the movies to M2TS for all of them. The mkv's for all four movies play fine on my Dune but all stutter on my hub (as does any mkv with dolby true hd). The M2TS version of all four play fine on the hub when streamed and the mkv's play fine on the hub if saved on the internal drive.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #826 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 08:57 PM

What software are you using?

post #827 of 2252 Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

I use Clown_bd and mkvmerge to create the mkv's. Mkvmerge version 4.4 but don't think it is related to the header compression b/c DTS MA mkv's stream fine and the files play fine if saved on the internal hard drive.

I should clarify that I'm not looking to discuss whether the Hub bitstreams True HD but rather that my hub stutters on any streamed mkv that contains a Dolby True HD track as one of the sound tracks while the same file would play fine from the internal hard drive. It is not bit rate dependent as the same movie in an M2TS container streams fine and other mkv's with higher bit rates and containing different HD audio codec (LPCM, DTS MA) stream fine. For example, Saving Private Ryan and Pirates of the Caribbean stream perfectly while Four Christmases mkv stutters from the start over the network but plays perfectly from internal hard drive.

post #828 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 AM

So I'm having some problems here. My computer cant find the Hub on the network. The Hub can find my computer, just not my shares. My plan is to transfer my files to the Hub since my wireless isnt good enough for streaming.
When I open the Network tab on my computer I can see:
WDTVLiveHub which directs me to the web browser of WD Hub
Another WDTVLiveHub with a Twonky logo.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
I know that the WD Hub as access to my network, because I can use it to go on the internet with my WIFI dongle.

Everything is enabled regarding share on the Hub.

What to do?
post #829 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Did you use the WD discovery tool and use the map network drive feature?

post #830 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Did you use the WD discovery tool and use the map network drive feature?

I've tried WD Discovery and it cant find the Hub either.

What do you mean by mapping the network drive? I've havent tried this before, so I'm a little new to all of this.
post #831 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 AM

I've now looked under Map Network Drive and the only two things it can find there are my computer and my gfs computer
post #832 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

hmm. if the hub doesn't show up using the wd discovery tool, try disabling the firewall on your pc and rerunning the wd discovery. it should find the hub and then give you an option to map network drive. otherwise, you can go to my network places and see if it shows up there and then map the drive.

post #833 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Problem solved. Tried to change the workgroup on both machines, did a restart and I could now use the WDDisoverytool to map the drive. Thanks for the help
post #834 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Where exactly is the fan on this thing I don't own one yet was thinking end of january but I looked at all the pictures, is it located on the underside of the unit? How many here consider it to be loud? Thanks.
post #835 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
It is on the underside. Cannot hear it from 2-3 feet away. No noiser than the hard drive.
post #836 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM

I was wondering anyone else has had out of sync issues on some mkv files, they are bdrips and have dts audio but the other mkvs i have that have dts are fine anyone any advice?
post #837 of 2252 Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM

I might buy this today but needs some confirmation

does it play 3D bluray iso`s and sbs ?

can I connect it to my toshiba 55inch 3D TV ?

Thanks
post #838 of 2252 Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 AM

Sorry if this has been asked, but is Netflix supported in Canada on this device with a firmware update?

My HT setup updated april 27/09
Click Here
post #839 of 2252 Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwisper View Post

I might buy this today but needs some confirmation

does it play 3D bluray iso`s and sbs ?

can I connect it to my toshiba 55inch 3D TV ?

Thanks

i'm 99% sure it won't play 3-d but you can connect it to your tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierYZ View Post

Sorry if this has been asked, but is Netflix supported in Canada on this device with a firmware update?

not now and probably not in the future. WD released a statement at one point saying they did not advertise the feature for Canada and specifically said it wouldn't work for Canada and were not enthusiastic about it ever working in Canada.

edit: Here is WD's response:
In order to clear up any confusion about Netflix supposedly being available in Canada on the WD TV Live Plus and Live Hub...

* At this time, the WD TV Live Plus and the WD TV Live Hub do not support Netflix in Canada. On both the WD TV Live Plus and the WD TV Live Hub boxes, we clearly state that the Netflix service is available in the United States ONLY.

* We are currently looking into streaming Netflix for Canadian users. However, we do NOT have any timeline as to when, if at all, this will ever happen.

We do apologize for any confusion caused by incorrect information floating around the internet.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-...ada/td-p/59328

post #840 of 2252 Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Is there a way for the WD Hub to display content from all sources (network shares, NAS, etc.) simultaneously so that the source does not have to be selected first? I suspect not, since I see no option in Setup and no mention of it in the user manual. Thanks.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page