*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > *Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread
pm123's Avatar pm123 09:33 AM 01-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDef View Post

Question Two:
There seems to be a missing feature in the music playback UI. I had hoped to use this as a way to play my own music easily over the network. For single folder/albums this is not a problem. I select the first track of that folder and press play . . .

But I REALLY want to be able to queue up entire albums in advance - according to my mood that day - and have it play them all in the order I queued them. So far I can only find a queuing command that works on individual music tracks (Highlight the track, press Options and select Queue.)

This. Does. Not. Work. for albums . . . bleah!

Anyone know of a method I missed? Or a tweak that can enable this? Or am I out of luck?

When browsing the folders, instead of Select to view the folder contents, press Play. It will play the entire contents of the highlighted folder.

NetDef's Avatar NetDef 11:04 AM 01-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm123 View Post

When browsing the folders, instead of Select to view the folder contents, press Play. It will play the entire contents of the highlighted folder.

That part works very well, but the missing part (I think?) is that I want to queue up several random music folders for continuous playback. Short of creating play-lists in advance on my PC and copying them to the music share, I can't figure out a solution.

It will let me queue individual music tracks, but not the folders . . .

While I am on the topic, gapless playback would also be nice.
kingpcgeek's Avatar kingpcgeek 12:09 PM 01-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDef View Post

That part works very well, but the missing part (I think?) is that I want to queue up several random music folders for continuous playback. Short of creating play-lists in advance on my PC and copying them to the music share, I can't figure out a solution.

It will let me queue individual music tracks, but not the folders . . .

While I am on the topic, gapless playback would also be nice.

One solution if you have Windows 7 is use the Play To feature. You choose what ever songs or playlist you want on the PC/laptop and then choose Play To the WD. To me that is one of the killer features that helped me choose between the WD Hub box over the Boxee Box I have been testing.
Smitty2k1's Avatar Smitty2k1 06:39 PM 01-11-2011
I'm buying a 32" LED LCD for my small bedroom. It's going to be wall mounted and I want to buy a media streamer/extender/player to wall mount with it.

The WDTV Live Hub seems great. However, I don't really need the internal storage. Is there a model without a hard drive?

Can I simply buy it, and remove the hard drive to either sell or use in another computer where it would be more useful?

Can I use a wireless USB receiver to stream over my wireless network or do I have to use hard wired ethernet.

Since my needs are pretty simple (really just play any sort of media off of my server) does anyone else have any other suggestions? The internet just really seems to be in love with their Live Hub so I thought I would start here

EDIT: I should note that I'm going to have a 720p tv and playing sound through it's built in speakers, so HD sound pass through isn't a necessity to me.
NetDef's Avatar NetDef 06:56 PM 01-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
The WDTV Live Hub seems great. However, I don't really need the internal storage. Is there a model without a hard drive?
The Live Hub comes with HDD, but the drive-less "WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player" might fit your needs.

Quote:
Can I simply buy it, and remove the hard drive to either sell or use in another computer where it would be more useful?
It appears that the Live Hub uses that HDD for part of it's functionality beyond simple media storage . . . might be wrong but I would guess you need to leave it intact.

Quote:
Can I use a wireless USB receiver to stream over my wireless network or do I have to use hard wired ethernet.
Yes. The Wi-Fi dongle is sold separately, and the Live Hub (and the Live Plus HD) supports some third party adapters.
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 07:38 PM 01-11-2011
I have not tried it myself. But over on the COMMUNITY FORUM, there are people that have removed the HD with no ill effects (or at least that they found.) The HUB now stores a lot of its data on the NAS that hosts the files, so it seems that it may not be necessary.

I don't think I'd recommend selling it; it would be WITHOUT WARRANTY (i'm sure WD tracks the serial numbers and would know that it was built into a Hub, not a retail drive.)

The Live/Live+/Hub support ONLY third-party adapters; meaning they do NOT sell their own.
98_1LE's Avatar 98_1LE 09:24 PM 01-11-2011
Interesting. I formatted the drive on mine and cleared the library the other night, then rebuilt the media library. I hadn't looked until just now, but there is nothing on the drive at all. I may try to use the drive in my NAS.
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 09:30 PM 01-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
Interesting. I formatted the drive on mine and cleared the library the other night, then rebuilt the media library. I hadn't looked until just now, but there is nothing on the drive at all. I may try to use the drive in my NAS.
It's a 2.5" drive though. I'm not sure I could use it in mine.
kingpcgeek's Avatar kingpcgeek 06:46 AM 01-12-2011
Quote:
I tried several usb wireless adapters and by far the best performing one I found was THIS ONE at Newegg.
kingpcgeek's Avatar kingpcgeek 09:17 AM 01-12-2011
The Hub is now in stock at Amazon. Unfortunately the same price as BB. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GK0GKO/...7380_pe_vfe_t1
Spiff69's Avatar Spiff69 12:30 AM 01-13-2011
Have any of you guys used the Netgear 550 and can compare it to the WD Live Hub? I bought the 550 and while I like it, it seems a bit buggy with some freezing problems. I am wondering if the WD unit is any better since WD has been making these units for a while...
originalsnuffy's Avatar originalsnuffy 04:11 PM 01-13-2011
A few usage questions, thanks,

I thought I had this unit somewhat figured out (to the level that I wanted) but a recent firmware updates seems to have changed things.

To get media information...which button do I press on the remote? Is it a soft button that needs to be programmed?

To get back to the DVD menu without going back to the beginning of the DVD stored on the drive, which button do I use? Do I need to program this?

Anybody get Orb access to work on this device?

Thanks.
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 05:34 PM 01-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

A few usage questions, thanks,

I thought I had this unit somewhat figured out (to the level that I wanted) but a recent firmware updates seems to have changed things.

To get media information...which button do I press on the remote? Is it a soft button that needs to be programmed?

To get back to the DVD menu without going back to the beginning of the DVD stored on the drive, which button do I use? Do I need to program this?

Anybody get Orb access to work on this device?

Thanks.

There's never been a button press on the remote to get media info. That's done via the Hub's Menus. When you've selected a movie file, press the OPTION button, and select "Get Content Info" from the menu.

To get the DVD Menu to come up while the movie is playing, press the OPTION button and select "MENU."

None of this has changed since day one, so firmware updates are blameless with those two things...
jon0966's Avatar jon0966 03:30 AM 01-16-2011
Just setup my WD Live TV Hub today and watched Avatar and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Both great movies, imo.

Just a few thoughts.

The Good - Awesome picture quality. Navigation is straightforward, theme is fantastic. Price is good (1TB included).

The Bad - The Time is off by 1 hour. I was surprised to see that daylight savings is a manual on / off setting versus a time zone table / daylight savings table and the rest handled by NTP.

The Really Ugly - Wow. Scraping (thumbnail / media info) support is just bad. There is not enough logic and I am constantly having to manually search by altering the search pattern, one file at a time.

Would love to see iheartradio.com included as a service. Not sure yet if it is a keeper or not. The automatic firmware updates are nice.
kingpcgeek's Avatar kingpcgeek 08:43 AM 01-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0966 View Post

J
The Really Ugly - Wow. Scraping (thumbnail / media info) support is just bad. There is not enough logic and I am constantly having to manually search by altering the search pattern, one file at a time.

Its all in the file name. The.Good.Bad.And.The.Ugly is the format I use since that is what the Boxee Box used in the failed experiment.
jerome8283's Avatar jerome8283 11:43 AM 01-16-2011
I have a small collection of movies on my USB WD My Book, mostly .MKV. Can these files be copied to the hub internal 1 TB drive over the network without having to connect the USB device directly to the hub?
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 12:23 PM 01-16-2011
Over the network is the only way to do it unless you use a USB stick. Be patient though as it may take a while.
jon0966's Avatar jon0966 01:08 PM 01-16-2011
The really ugly - Adding new content to network shares is cached and does not display until you restart the device. I can't find a way for the WD Live TV Hub to refresh the network shares at all. For example, if I have two videos in \\\\server\\video\\ and restart the WD, those two videos will be displayed as ready to view. If I add two more they will not display. If I delete those first two videos, then the WD Live TV Hub will attempt to play those.
98_1LE's Avatar 98_1LE 01:23 PM 01-16-2011
Turning off the Media Library and turning it back on forces an inventory and the new media will show up. The alternative is it doing the inventory every time you power it on which would be time consuming.
jon0966's Avatar jon0966 01:50 PM 01-16-2011
Quote:

Turning off the Media Library and turning it back on forces an inventory and the new media will show up. The alternative is it doing the inventory every time you power it on which would be time consuming.

If the picture quality wasn't so wonderful I would return it.

I would have preferred a refresh function that doesn't involve going into setup.

Streaming isn't too bad. Some 1080p mkv's were a bit choppy, but everything lower in resolution is perfect.
tate16t's Avatar tate16t 02:02 PM 01-16-2011
Quote:

If the picture quality wasn't so wonderful I would return it.

I would have preferred a refresh function that doesn't involve going into setup.

Streaming isn't too bad. Some 1080p mkv's were a bit choppy, but everything lower in resolution is perfect.

Why would one bother streaming when the device has a local 1 TB drive?
98_1LE's Avatar 98_1LE 02:12 PM 01-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tate16t View Post

Why would one bother streaming when the device has a local 1 TB drive?

1. If they have more than 1 TB of media
2. If they want a system capable of playing different movies in different rooms concurrently.
3. Fault tolerant storage (loss of one disk does not result in loss of data).
jon0966's Avatar jon0966 02:38 PM 01-16-2011
Quote:

1. If they have more than 1 TB of media
2. If they want a system capable of playing different movies in different rooms concurrently.
3. Fault tolerant storage (loss of one disk does not result in loss of data).

Thank you, and all the above.
tate16t's Avatar tate16t 02:41 PM 01-16-2011
Quote:

Thank you, and all the above.

Ditto...all makes perfect sense now..
Smitty2k1's Avatar Smitty2k1 04:56 PM 01-16-2011
If I already have local metadata for movies (created by Media Center Master) will the hub display it or is there a proprietary filesystem for the hubs cache of info.

Also, how well does it handle metadata for TV series ripped to individual eppisodes?
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 07:56 PM 01-16-2011
Quote:

If I already have local metadata for movies (created by Media Center Master) will the hub display it or is there a proprietary filesystem for the hubs cache of info.

Also, how well does it handle metadata for TV series ripped to individual eppisodes?

I don't know much about media center master, but the hub is almost totally compatible with the XBMC NFO format, save for one XML tag that needs to be renamed.

It won't do TV show information at all, but you can add it yourself with XML files.
tim1_2's Avatar tim1_2 05:44 AM 01-17-2011
So I’ve recently run into a problem with my hub. Whenever I click “Options” on a movie to use the “Get Content Info” feature, it’s not there! No option to get the media data. This was working for me not too long ago. I had “Media Library” turned off, and thought maybe that was the problem, so I turned it back on, but it just constantly says “Compiling Media Library”. I left the hub on for over 12 hours, and it just continually tried to compile the media library. I’m not sure what to do now? I only have about 10 movies on the hub itself, and the media library it has access to on my computer is probably about 1000 songs and 30 movies. I’ve read elsewhere that it could be a problem with filenames, where they aren’t in a format that the hub recognizes, and this could cause it to compile the library forever?

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
wayneniamat's Avatar wayneniamat 10:47 AM 01-17-2011
Quote:

The really ugly - Adding new content to network shares is cached and does not display until you restart the device. I can't find a way for the WD Live TV Hub to refresh the network shares at all. For example, if I have two videos in \\\\server\\video\\ and restart the WD, those two videos will be displayed as ready to view. If I add two more they will not display. If I delete those first two videos, then the WD Live TV Hub will attempt to play those.

I use network share to view video residing on three tera drives via my pogoplug enabled seagate dockstar. I copy alot of large files and folders constantly from my pc to the nas drives and no rebooting is required to see the files through network share. They are immediately available. This capability must be a function of your network devices and settings.

My observations:

Now that I've progressed past 4.5GB and 9GB dvds to 20-50GB blu-ray disks via net/network I've noticed that I can't access BD menus at all with the hub. I have to browse the BD folders to find the playable files.

For those of you running older hdmi receivers like me, when it comes to hd audio even if the Hub says DTSHDMA my receiver lights up for DTS. My PS3 allowed me to choose between bitstream and pcm but the hub doesn't. That said if I try to play the same file on the PS3 it might only offer me 2 channel audio half the time.

I imagined having one player for all digital media but that doesn't seem possible, at the HUB price-point anyway. I use the HUB for MKV, M2TS, AVI and MP4; a PS3 for M2TS, it won't play MKV and ISO and an OPPO BDP80 for ANY disc but it can barely play an MKV.

Building/buying a home theater PC with remote control operation might be the simplest solution. Picking the components and software for perfect playback might not be so simple. I'm watching a friend configure his htpc, he returned his HUB cause of the lack of BD menu capability.

Stop suggesting the WDLIVETV/plus as an alternative. I was able to watch movies with the HUB that only stuttered across the non-gigabit ethernet of the LIVETV. The minimum standard should be gigabit ethernet for a media streamer if you're planning on watching anything larger than those 700MB avi files from 5 years ago. Later.
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 10:53 AM 01-17-2011
My Dune D1's play full bit rate blurays over the network perfectly and they are not gigabit. If your network is functioning correctly, 100mb/s is more than enough for streaming bluray. The Hub played my bluray iso's but just played the main movie and not the menu. The Dunes, Popcorn Hours and the Netgear (not sure about the Boxee) will play bluray's with full menu support.
WDFan1970's Avatar WDFan1970 12:30 PM 01-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans
My Dune D1's play full bit rate blurays over the network perfectly and they are not gigabit. If your network is functioning correctly, 100mb/s is more than enough for streaming bluray. The Hub played my bluray iso's but just played the main movie and not the menu. The Dunes, Popcorn Hours and the Netgear (not sure about the Boxee) will play bluray's with full menu support.
Yeah, I agree... A 100meg interface on a streamer is quite capable... The Boxee Box does NOT support BD menus.
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop