Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muchie View Post

Hello everyone ..

I have a newbie question .

I have 400 movies in mp4 format with AAC 5.1 audio .I currently have the 1st generation WD player using my TV speakers. I want to upgrade to the Live HUB and purchase a home Theatre system . Will i get surround sound from live hub with files mentioned above ? If not what and how do i convert to a compatible file.Based on what i read in other forum they suggested Mkv with AC3 , not sure how to do that or if that will even work . Thanks in advance
]

Your MP4's will be fine. TV Speakers are dirty. Do like me, WD TV Hub Audio passthrough via HDMI into a top line Receiver (don't skimp) (love my Onkyo), Floor Speakers/Sub and Kick Azz Center (love my DefTechs), and Surround Speakers (5.1 or 7.1 maybe). I have never been happier. Beg borrow or steal, just do it. I can feel movies now as I watch them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2252 Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooning Mike View Post

Okay lots of posts and I read a bunch. Just need to know from owners of media players. Which is the best one ? Like the way the WD media live hub plus looks. Is there a 2tb version ?. Some people say yes and there is a few post that say no. I can't find any info saying for sure on the web.
I'm using my ps3 right now to play content but don't like the fact that I can't open other files unless it is all grouped together ie: music. It has to be all in one folder I can't have sub folders saying Rock, Pop, Country, etc.
Thanks for any replies.

Mike

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
post #1083 of 2252 Old 02-15-2011, 05:01 AM

Would it be just as good or better to get a network receiver, such as the Yamaha RXA1000, or or the WD TV Live Hub Media Center with a non network a/v receiver such as the Yamaha RXA800?
Thanks.
post #1084 of 2252 Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooning Mike View Post

Okay lots of posts and I read a bunch. Just need to know from owners of media players. Which is the best one ? Like the way the WD media live hub plus looks. Is there a 2tb version ?. Some people say yes and there is a few post that say no. I can't find any info saying for sure on the web.
I'm using my ps3 right now to play content but don't like the fact that I can't open other files unless it is all grouped together ie: music. It has to be all in one folder I can't have sub folders saying Rock, Pop, Country, etc.
Thanks for any replies.

Mike

You can also check the list from ReviewHorizon
reviewhorizon.com/2011/01/best-media-streamers-players-2011-%e2%80%93-top-10/

It has many details about codecs supported, streaming services, etc
post #1085 of 2252 Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0966 View Post

Your MP4's will be fine. TV Speakers are dirty. Do like me, WD TV Hub Audio passthrough via HDMI into a top line Receiver (don't skimp) (love my Onkyo), Floor Speakers/Sub and Kick Azz Center (love my DefTechs), and Surround Speakers (5.1 or 7.1 maybe). I have never been happier. Beg borrow or steal, just do it. I can feel movies now as I watch them.

thanks for response , i will take your advise.
post #1086 of 2252 Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdie View Post

I've been looking into media player for the past year now and I still haven't decided which one to buy.

I've looked at the Popbox, Boxee Box, Netgear NeoTV 550, WDTV Live Hub, Popcorn Hour A-210 and more recently the AC Ryan Fluxx which comes out in March.

Now, I don't really like ordering electronic stuff online. The hassle of returning it if it doesn't work etc... Hey, I live on a Island and P&P costs a small fortune!

Anyway, a local shop is selling the WDTV Live HUB and I like the UI alot and I wanted to know your opinion on the box.

I have many Xvid/Divx, MKV, DVD ISO, M2TS & TS files. Will the WDTV Live HUB handle all well?

I don't have an amplifier so the sound will be coming out of my LCD. Does it handle audio in movies well? Will not supporting DTS-HD MA Pass be a problem for me or is that mainly for people who have a amplifier.

Does the WDTV Live HUB handles MKV header compression and 23.976fps well? Does it "work well" with external harddrives? For sync and extra storage.

Thanks and Sorry for all these novice questions. I apreciate it!!!

Ferdie

Anyone? Thanks in advance!
post #1087 of 2252 Old 02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Well, I would first start by reading the thread. Most of your questions are answered.

The Hub does NOT support DTS-HD MA.

It has no problem with MKV Header compression.
It works with External HDs and does do Sync, but "Works Well" is entirely subjective.
post #1088 of 2252 Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolarrow View Post

Would it be just as good or better to get a network receiver, such as the Yamaha RXA1000, or or the WD TV Live Hub Media Center with a non network a/v receiver such as the Yamaha RXA800?
Thanks.

Anyone?
post #1089 of 2252 Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolarrow
Anyone?
I have an onkyo 807 and the live hub. Both have Internet radio and will play music off of a local server. I think the interface sucks for both of them though. I end up using windows "play to" function to stream my music to both of them If the price difference between the two receivers is the price of the hub I would get the hub since it allows for alot more options ie. video and picture streaming.
post #1090 of 2252 Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Your question is a bit vague and hard to answer -

It appears from your phrasing of the question, that you may think that because the RXA1000 has a network adapter it can be used in lieu of the WD Hub and get the same results as having the Hub. This may or may not be the case - It all depends on what you are trying to do.....

With the RXA1000 the network adapter allows you to access audio content ONLY- i.e. internet radio to listen to the music stream and the ability to listen to local network music files (MP3 WMA AAC Etc). The RXA800 can not do this so you would need an additional piece of hardware - be it the WDHub or other adapter.

If however, in addition to audio, you want to stream video and pictures through either receiver you will need the WD Hub (or similar device) for both the RXA1000 and the RXA800.
post #1091 of 2252 Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolarrow View Post

Anyone?

Go for the RX-A2000 with the HQV Vida Video Processor!
post #1092 of 2252 Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Hey guys..

Hope this is not a dumb question lol.( making the upgrade To WD HUB)

I currently have the 1st generation wd player using custom firmware from romanstechhelp.blogspot.com. I am currently using moviesheets and thumbnail from tvvixx . If i dump all the movie currently on external harddrive to wd hub internal drive will my moviesheets still work or will i have to redo them ?

thanks in advance.
post #1093 of 2252 Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchie View Post

Hey guys..

Hope this is not a dumb question lol.( making the upgrade To WD HUB)

I currently have the 1st generation wd player using custom firmware from romanstechhelp.blogspot.com. I am currently using moviesheets and thumbnail from tvvixx . If i dump all the movie currently on external harddrive to wd hub internal drive will my moviesheets still work or will i have to redo them ?

thanks in advance.

"Movie Sheets" are not on ANY WD Products, and no "Custom Firmware" is available for the Live Hub.

The Hub has its own GALLERY VIEW with a similar look and feel to Movie Sheets, but the content is stored in XML, not static JPG files.

There are some THEMES available that integrate the Movie Sheets into the Hub UI, but whether or not you'll have to "Re Do" them? I don't know...
post #1094 of 2252 Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Can you attach an external HD? What is the limit (e.g., 2 x 2 TB)? Is it transparent so that you can store movies, photos and music on either the internal or external drive and the Live Hub just thinks of it as one big storage space? I would like to add drives to total about 3 TB.
post #1095 of 2252 Old 02-18-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

2x2TB is the limit right now, but 2xANYTHING is WD's intent. They disabled >2TB for the time being because it was causing filesystem corruption, and they're still working on a fix.

Yes, it's transparent; it will appear as one big mass of files if that's what you wish, or you can view them by drive.
post #1096 of 2252 Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Good news for Canadians. 50$ off Dell special +free shipping on the Hub.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...ynote_irrank=0

on Dell site search key word WD Hub.
post #1097 of 2252 Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
cmf

Quote:

Absolutely. Our setup is similar -- Onkyo + DefTech center, fronts & rears -- but one component I think has added as much to our movies (and music, for that matter) as anything is a proper sub. We got the baby SVS (PB10-NSD), as we have a small viewing area, but it totally transforms movies sonically. Now, we *feel* thunder and explosions as much as we hear them, just like in a full-size theater...it's really amazing, and, given all the other expenses associated with a home theater, well worth a few hundred bucks.
post #1098 of 2252 Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post

Absolutely. Our setup is similar -- Onkyo + DefTech center, fronts & rears -- but one component I think has added as much to our movies (and music, for that matter) as anything is a proper sub. We got the baby SVS (PB10-NSD), as we have a small viewing area, but it totally transforms movies sonically. Now, we *feel* thunder and explosions as much as we hear them, just like in a full-size theater...it's really amazing, and, given all the other expenses associated with a home theater, well worth a few hundred bucks.

I've put some thought into that, but my BP7004's for front and CLR2300 center all have powered subs and to me personally sound great. And if I went with a sub would probably lean toward a Supercube I, which would run me over $1k. Right now I am 5.1 and considering sometime this year adding two more rear surrounds.

If the WD Live Hub could update network shared content instead of having to reboot it, I would be totally pleased.
post #1099 of 2252 Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

2x2TB is the limit right now, but 2xANYTHING is WD's intent. They disabled >2TB for the time being because it was causing filesystem corruption, and they're still working on a fix.

Yes, it's transparent; it will appear as one big mass of files if that's what you wish, or you can view them by drive.

Excellent. That should be enough room for the time being. Are there any particular brands that work well with the Live Hub?
post #1100 of 2252 Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:

If the WD Live Hub could update network shared content instead of having to reboot it, I would be totally pleased.

That's an issue with the "Media Library Compilation" feature.

I turned it off, and it updates my network shares on each folder access.
Home/Setup/System/Media Library/Off.

-Dave
post #1101 of 2252 Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Does the external harddrives work the same way the internal works? With the "Get Content Info"/movie covers?
post #1102 of 2252 Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Does the external harddrives work the same way the internal works? With the "Get Content Info"/movie covers?

Yep
post #1103 of 2252 Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Another question, does it play .TS files ok? I've recorded alot of stuff on my FTA Satellite Receiver and wanted to know if it plays ok on the HUB.
post #1104 of 2252 Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Another question, does it play .TS files ok? I've recorded alot of stuff on my FTA Satellite Receiver and wanted to know if it plays ok on the HUB.

One of the main reasons I bought the hub! I've had no problems here at all.

I record a lot of stuff from satellite as well with the Hauppauge HD PVR and I record most all as TS.
post #1105 of 2252 Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisn View Post

One of the main reasons I bought the hub! I've had no problems here at all.

I record a lot of stuff from satellite as well with the Hauppauge HD PVR and I record most all as TS.

Many thanks!!
post #1106 of 2252 Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisn View Post

Me, too. Interesting point - I also have a Dune Duo in the rack with my Hub. The Dune will not fast reverse (rewind) on TS files. Push the rewind button and it fast forwards. Push the fast forward button and it fast forwards. Not so on the Hub - works fine.
post #1107 of 2252 Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post

I am really happy that my mp4 with aac will play 5.1 surround .. will research different speakers options .. looking to purchase really soon. I was actually expecting to hear that its not possible based on what i read on different forum so i am pleasantly surprised.
Final question you guys absolutely sure this will work right?

thanks again..
post #1108 of 2252 Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavet View Post
That's an issue with the "Media Library Compilation" feature.

I turned it off, and it updates my network shares on each folder access.
Home/Setup/System/Media Library/Off.

-Dave
That's awesome, thank you! You rock! I've asked around and even opened a support case. Thank you.
post #1109 of 2252 Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:

.ts no problem.
post #1110 of 2252 Old 02-26-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have seen some posts about the WD live hub being able to use the XBMC .nfo files but it seems unclear how it works. I am currently using XBMC on an original Apple TV and have created .nfo and art files with Media Center Master. I want to use the live hub as a portable player and copy content (that was organized for XBMC) to the device. Will the live hub be able to use the .nfo and art files instead of re-scraping everything? Any other info regarding how the live hub works vs. XBMC would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Jay
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page