Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2247 Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpcgeek View Post

Thats not the point. He is already using PS3 Media Server on a PC. He doesn't want another software solution, he had hoped the Hub would handle the problem.

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

The hub's media server won't serve iso files. Thank DLNA for that.

Lesson learned here: should have researched what DLNA did/meant first, huh?

I can still hope for one solution though. I'm still trying to get a 1:1 size/quality "rip" (is it still a RIP if you don't lower quality?) of the DVDs. If I can do this, I still have most of my desired effects:
1) no loss in quality
2) one file to 'browse' (e.g. like the ISO file gave me)
3) menu support (lost if I don't do the ISO, I think).

If only the PS3 or Xbox360 would play ISO's....since they play VOB's (well, I know the PS3 does, not technically sure on the Xbox360, never tried).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwolf_ia View Post

Okay, just picked up this gizmo based on the great reviews, being able to "play everything thrown at it," and having a built in media player to stream your content to other devices.

I am so far disappointed. Last week, in anticipation of the device, I ripped 29 of my wife's workout DVDs to ISO format so we can stream them to a busted PS3 in one room, whilst leaving the WDTVLiveHub in the living room.

The WDTVLiveHub plays every one of them just fine. It doesn't stream a single one. It doesn't stream MKV file to PS3 either. Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

Your wife has 29 workout DVD's?
post #1173 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0966 View Post

Your wife has 29 workout DVD's?

If you'll reread my post, I said I ripped "29 of my wife's workout DVDs.
She has more, lots more.

This is just half of the first shelf of her 4 shelf media case (bookcase? What do you call a bookcase designed to hold DVDs?).
http://kfq.org/images/workout_dvds.jpg

She really likes The Firm and works out to at least 4 of those every week. She also tosses in some other stuff as well. I keep telling her she needs to just go to a gym & start doing the courses for them as she knows all of the routines nearly by heart now (she's been doing them for years).
post #1174 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just a quick jump-in for the discussion on the Hub -> PS3.

The Twonky server built in to the Hub is NOT a TRANSCODING server.

In other words, it will STREAM just about ANYTHING (not ISO), but the receiver must support the media type.

In fact, the Twonky will STREAM files that the Hub itself can't play.

ISOs are not supported because that requires two-way interaction between the server and the renderer to control navigation, and that's not part of the DLNA specification.

You can probably Re-Rip the DVDs (or just use the ISOs you made) into a format the PS3 will play. Often that only entails ripping the VOBs apart into stand-alone files, and then converting the VOB to its native MPEG2 format. I'm pretty sure the PS3 will play that.
post #1175 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 AM

The problem I've run into with trying to rip them is that the wife isn't happy with any video degradation. Thus, I was hoping (and well thinking) the Hub would stream the ISO files.

Since hard drive space is cheap (I've spent $329 buying a 3GB drive before...) now, I'm looking at methods to rip the content while preserving quality.

She may lose menu functionality this way, but I think she will be able to live with that.

Is the native MPEG2 format the same quality (hence, the native...)?
post #1176 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Is your PS3 wired or wireless? Reason I ask is because you could buy a media player that will play iso's off the network via SMB and completely bypass the Twonky media server. There are many cheap media players that will let you do this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1177 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 AM

It's wired, but your suggestion is why I purchased the hardware media player (WDTV Live Hub): to avoid using a software solution on my computer.
post #1178 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM

@wildwolf_ia I was reading your post, and i had an idea i didn't see it mentioned about your wife and ripping the workout dvds. I know you mentioned that she doesn't want to degrade the quality of the video.

I was curious on how you are ripping them it sounded like you were just doing strait ISO rip.

Have you thought about looking into the dvdfab software? I been using it to back up my blu-rays for my media server. It splits up all the titles so you can select which ones you would like to rip. and it is a direct video copy as in quality. You might have to rename the files but you can rip to .avi or .mkv it might help solve your problem and make the wife happy.
post #1179 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The problem I've run into with trying to rip them is that the wife isn't happy with any video degradation. Thus, I was hoping (and well thinking) the Hub would stream the ISO files.

Since hard drive space is cheap (I've spent $329 buying a 3GB drive before...) now, I'm looking at methods to rip the content while preserving quality.

She may lose menu functionality this way, but I think she will be able to live with that.

Is the native MPEG2 format the same quality (hence, the native...)?

You sound like me a couple of years ago. I first bought a blu-ray changer, but didnt like the speed or the fact that I could not watch the blu-rays on different displays throughout the house. I hung in there, using it for about a year but got fed up and made a change.

I now have all by blu-rays burned to a WHS with attached storage.. gives me about 16TB of storage, but with duplication that is about half. I dont care about BD navigation for most part but do care about video and audio quality. I use makemkv to rip by blu-rays to the server, then access it from anywhere in the house. With my process, the audio and video are not compressed.. quality is the same as the source. I have a WD Live Hub and a Popcorn Hour A-210 (brand new, had for a day) and can now watch all my movies on both TVs.. even same movie at same time on two different TVs.

Looking back on it, I probably should have built an unRaid server to maximize storage, but what I have works and was very simple to setup.
Depending on your storage requirements you may want to investigate a more permanent storage solution.
post #1180 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

You sound like me a couple of years ago. I first bought a blu-ray changer, but didnt like the speed or the fact that I could not watch the blu-rays on different displays throughout the house. I hung in there, using it for about a year but got fed up and made a change.

I now have all by blu-rays burned to a WHS with attached storage.. gives me about 16TB of storage, but with duplication that is about half. I dont care about BD navigation for most part but do care about video and audio quality.
Looking back on it, I probably should have built an unRaid server to maximize storage, but what I have works and was very simple to setup.
Depending on your storage requirements you may want to investigate a more permanent storage solution.

I remember when i made the switch also, best thing i did in the house. I built an un-raided server at about 5tb now. I usually do a x264 encode and keep the uncompressed audio.
post #1181 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Ripping them doesn't necessarily mean reducing quality. You can rip a DVD to MPEG without changing ANYTHING in the stream itself. (except removing additional soundtracks and subtitles, perhaps.)
post #1182 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM

WDFan, can you suggest applications and/or settings to do so?

Every time I try to move the file from the DVD to the hard drive in a single file format, there's been a lose of video quality.

For what it's worth, these workout DVDs are mostly (if not all?) done with only stereo audio, too. I don't even have to worry about 5.1 audio.
post #1183 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 AM

@wildwolf_ia Dvdfab works well use it to rip blu-rays untouched. It also does dvds
post #1184 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Ahh, DVDFab, yet another product I must purchase to get enough time to figure out how to get it to work.
post #1185 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Ahh, DVDFab, yet another product I must purchase to get enough time to figure out how to get it to work.

Might also want to look at MakeMKV at www.makemkv.com. Nice thing about this software is free(beta version) and simple to use. The only limitation is that is will only output as an MKV file, so if that is deal breaker, then this is not the right software for you.
post #1186 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM

That's a deal breaker.

I need: free, rip to lossless video format that PS3 will read so the WDTV Live Hub can stream to it.
post #1187 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Is there a free way to do that though? Anydvd HD, makemkv and dvdfab all cost money. Can you stream mkv to a PS3? If so, you can use some of the above (Anydvd HD breaks encryption and you can use Clown_bd & mkvmerge - both free - to create mkvs) to create mkv's but you will likely lose chapter and menu support.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1188 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM

I don't know if there's a free way or a paid way, yet.

I spent $127 on Xilisoft products, but had issues (Symantec flagged two products as possible viruses, never could make a loss less extraction). They were kind enough to grant me a refund.

DVDFab says they won't grant a refund: it's shareware. Try it and if I like it, buy it. I've tried it, but didn't have enough time (full time busy) in the 30-day trial to determine if (though some say yes) it can and if so, how, to make the loss less extraction.

If it works, I'm sure I'll find it necessary to purchase their "buy everything & the kitchen sink lifetime" package...but I have no way to determine if it works. Kind of in a catch 22, no?
post #1189 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I use (a purchased copy, have to support the people making the tools) MAKEMKV for most rips. But if I need it in another format such as for an iPad I use the PAVTube products.

TiVo Elite, TiVo 4, Four TiVo Minis, TiVo Stream, Roku 3, Google Chromecast, Cox Cable, Sonos
post #1190 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

DVDFab says they won't grant a refund: it's shareware. Try it and if I like it, buy it. I've tried it, but didn't have enough time (full time busy) in the 30-day trial to determine if (though some say yes) it can and if so, how, to make the loss less extraction.

If it works, I'm sure I'll find it necessary to purchase their "buy everything & the kitchen sink lifetime" package...but I have no way to determine if it works. Kind of in a catch 22, no?

I do use dvdfab, and in your ripping options it has video pass though so it does do losless rips. I've used it for years. I like xillsoft but only the video converter.
post #1191 of 2247 Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Okay. I purchased DVDFab.

As far as the video pass through, are you referring to DVD Ripper and choosing to rip to VOB as that option?
post #1192 of 2247 Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 AM

@wildwolf_ia if you look under "Dvd ripper" you should see options for "to mkv" which if you select the "profile" "mkv.remux" it will do the video pass though automaticallyso you will have the same quality.
post #1193 of 2247 Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 AM

DVDFab is great software. Good purchase.
post #1194 of 2247 Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM

I hope so...because I bought the "get everything lifetime" deal for quite a bit of scratch.
post #1195 of 2247 Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

@wildwolf_ai trust me it is, and totally worth it. I don't use anything else for ripping.
post #1196 of 2247 Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 AM

I was curious which upnp software you guys are using on your media server, I was using media tomb but I feel like I want to change the upnp software
post #1197 of 2247 Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 AM

I have got a quick question. I keep on looking into several diffrent units. Popcorn A210 - Dune D1 etc but keep coming back to this one. My only issue with this is the 1TB drive. This is going to be for my family room TV. 56" DLP so I may just rip all my kids movies to 720 to save on space but if I rip to 1080 I will blow through this drive quickly.

So My question is If I attach an external hard drive can I have that as the default drive all the time? What I want is simple interface that my kids can use. I do not want them to have to go and select a drive to view their movies. I like this overall interface much better then the A210 or the Dune but they have internal storage so we would not have to pick and choose the drives.
post #1198 of 2247 Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2416 View Post

I have got a quick question. I keep on looking into several diffrent units. Popcorn A210 - Dune D1 etc but keep coming back to this one. My only issue with this is the 1TB drive. This is going to be for my family room TV. 56" DLP so I may just rip all my kids movies to 720 to save on space but if I rip to 1080 I will blow through this drive quickly.

So My question is If I attach an external hard drive can I have that as the default drive all the time? What I want is simple interface that my kids can use. I do not want them to have to go and select a drive to view their movies. I like this overall interface much better then the A210 or the Dune but they have internal storage so we would not have to pick and choose the drives.

Yes, you can do that.
post #1199 of 2247 Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2416 View Post

I also would Suggest maybe looking into building a media server or getting a nas server in the near/far future. also you can encode the rips at a lower bitrate which might on size and also pull the hd-audio can help too.
post #1200 of 2247 Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenstylus1 View Post

I also would Suggest maybe looking into building a media server or getting a nas server in the near/far future. also you can encode the rips at a lower bitrate which might on size and also pull the hd-audio can help too.

Yeah I thought about going that route but this is just for my living room TV and all my kids movies. I use a 7000ES in my theater which does a great job of managing my Blu-Rays with great picture (eventhough the interface is junk) and not sure if I want to stream video. I was planning on stripping out the HD audio and just copying over the main movie using DVDFAB. Any ideas on how large a move rip would be?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page