Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I sm sure you can hold on for 3 - 4 days. The PR and offiicial details for the US market are going to come out early next week. (Can't give out much beyond that because the NDA hasn't lifted yet)

Thanks for the hints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Wouldnt that just be the WDTV Live Plus? That is unless you are talking about the upgraded UI....

If I didn't need an HD inside (don't want to deal with streaming) then I would get the Live Plus.
post #123 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandolph View Post

No luck with DTS-MA I'm afraid.

That's no good!
post #124 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Hello.

I'm trying to decide between the live hub and boxee box.

Will i be able to access the internal drive AND any other usb drives attached to the live hub from my laptop through the network? will they show as regular drives in my network?

From what i understand, the key selling points for the live hub over the boxee box is that it doubles as a media server and it has Gigabit Ethernet. so, will i be able to transfer files from my PC to the live hub and any USB drive attached to it? and does this mean that the live hub can stream to pcs on the network?

What are the key differences between the live hub and boxee box?

i basically need it to:

1. play almost anything i throw at it.
2. does not require me to keep a PC on while playing/streaming, or force me to connect my pc to the unit to add files to my collection.

thanks..
post #125 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 PM

missing why released already in Canada but not down south
post #126 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by das75 View Post

missing why released already in Canada but not down south

Basically BestBuy.ca messed up and released inventory to shelves ahead of schedule. BestBuy US seems to be obeying WD's request to release the units on the proper date

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #127 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamano View Post

Hello.
What are the key differences between the live hub and boxee box?

Live Hub has an internal HD and Boxee doesn't. That's the reason I'm going for Live Hub. You don't have to worry about streaming through network because you keep all files stores on the internal HD. And yes, the internal drive for the Hub shows up as a device on your network so you can copy and paste files on your PC to the Hub. You can also do this directly with the Hub interface as I understand it.

Both will play basically anything, so it really comes down to whether or not you want to stream your media or you want to keep it local. Though the Live can also stream, and probably even better if you are using Gigabit. So if you have your external drive as a shared device on the network, then yes you can stream from it with the Hub.
post #128 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

Live Hub has an internal HD and Boxee doesn't. That's the reason I'm going for Live Hub. You don't have to worry about streaming through network because you keep all files stores on the internal HD. And yes, the internal drive for the Hub shows up as a device on your network so you can copy and paste files on your PC to the Hub. You can also do this directly with the Hub interface as I understand it.

Both will play basically anything, so it really comes down to whether or not you want to stream your media or you want to keep it local. Though the Live can also stream, and probably even better if you are using Gigabit. So if you have your external drive as a shared device on the network, then yes you can stream from it with the Hub.

except hd audio, and bd iso i guess
post #129 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Why would you not be able to transfer via USB? Don't think that would be a problem.

I'll never understand why anyone uses an internal drive or USB connection when there is an Ethernet support. That was the whole idea of adding Ethernet, so it would become 'part' of your network and everything shares. Since my media player has network shares consisting of multiple terabytes of media I can say I have an internal drive of 10 terabytes in my media player!
post #130 of 2252 Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme View Post

I was really hoping the next WDTV box was going to support bluray isos/folders and HD audio but I guess I'm going to have to settle for the Dune H1 player as well.

The Dune players right now are the best media players on the market. Full Blu-ray menu support, SMB and NFS network capability, a chipset powerful enough to play 1080P HD content through a network share. I'd like to see this WD TV Live do that even with it's GB port.
post #131 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 AM

i have a wd WDBACB0010HBK player...when it is connected directly to my tv, it plays no audio. i have tried to connect it using the optical and the audio, vidio (white, red, yellow) cables but still not audio, only video. can someone help point me in the right direction so I can hear the audio from my media player? thanks!
post #132 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:

But if im going to stream from my network, will i need an additional WHS/NAS? thats why i asked if the live hub will work as a Media server for the whole network and allow any pc on the network at access/play files stored on the internal drive and USB ports on the live hub.
post #133 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked45 View Post

i have a wd WDBACB0010HBK player...when it is connected directly to my tv, it plays no audio. i have tried to connect it using the optical and the audio, vidio (white, red, yellow) cables but still not audio, only video. can someone help point me in the right direction so I can hear the audio from my media player? thanks!

WElll since thats the WD Elements Play not the Live Hub most people here would probably not answer.......The most likely reason is that the audio files you are playing are DTS and the WD Elements Play\\your TV dont have DTS decoders. Youll need to either re-encode the files, get a receiver that does the decoding, or use a file that has a non DTS track.
post #134 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

The Dune players right now are the best media players on the market. Full Blu-ray menu support, SMB and NFS network capability, a chipset powerful enough to play 1080P HD content through a network share. I'd like to see this WD TV Live do that even with it's GB port.

I would imagine that the Hub would have no problem streaming 1080p through the ethernet port.

Quote:

But if im going to stream from my network, will i need an additional WHS/NAS? thats why i asked if the live hub will work as a Media server for the whole network and allow any pc on the network at access/play files stored on the internal drive and USB ports on the live hub.

I'm not sure since I don't have one yet, but I think this will work for you. I do remember someone saying that the internal drive for the WD does show up on the network, so you will be able to access it on your PCs. As for USB drives connected to the Bub, I'm not sure about that... someone who has the drive can verify.
post #135 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Bought it last night at BestBuy. Yes, I am in Canada.

As soon as it found a network, it went out and updated its firmware. In my case, this was fine. Weather still finds my city (Saskatoon) but it took it a long time, and it really seemed to indicate that it wasn't going to find it, until I finished typing in the whole name, then clicked go. My weather is working fine, and I have time and temperature up in the corner of the display.

Seems to be doing a good job of mounting my network shares. Still parsing my music... Also had it parsing my photos, but I seem to have lost them when I redid the network addressing.

Speaking of network, it doesn't seem to use DHCP. You can set it to Auto, and it seems to pick an unused network address. I ended up going to Manual, and setting it to match an ip address I have reserved in my router.

All video has played perfectly, no problems. Really happy. Fast forward and backward (x2, x4 x8 x16) work fine. There is also a jump-to-time function, which is slightly clunky to use but better than nothing. My old XBox XBMC with sideways to jump a minute (right is forward, left is backward), and up/down to jump 10 minutes (up is forward, down is back) is still my favourite UI for doing this. Can't believe no-one else has duplicated it.

I have also moved stuff to it so that it can start sharing the serving load. It is now serving some of my BBC documentaries back up to my XBox (OLD one). Seems to work well as a NAS. Samba shares just appear as available on Windows7 and my old Xbox.

Still can't log on to it via the web interface. It wants a password, won't accept blank, and I can't find where to set it in the UI. Anyone got a hint.

So far, I am thrilled. Nice BIG step forward from my WD TV which I have been using since they first appeared. Glad I waited, and very glad I chose the Hub instead of the WD TV Live Plus.

Glad to see that MrDavet has all ready put up a bunch of photos so that I am no longer obligated to do so. I try to avoid being on the bleeding edge, but this was cheap and I stumbled on to it at the perfect time.
post #136 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Any word on what chip is inside the Hub yet?
post #137 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM

USER MANUAL!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705046.pdf

Hal90002010 Conquerer of the Great Barrier
post #138 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 03:33 PM

from user manual

Note: For a list of tested, compatible wireless USB adapters, see Article #5688 in our knowledge base
at http://support.wdc.com.

nothing there yet..anyone find it?
post #139 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 PM

I have one...great!!!

now for me I am movie only no subs english only. So perfect for me..nice GUI

two things:

1. No power switch..always on
2. WD engineers are still baked about one thing...next on remote is not next chapter!!! Common WD get it together on this part.

rest is great!!!
post #140 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 03:45 PM

My Airlink 101 Model AWLL6075 USB wireless n adapter works perfectly!!!
post #141 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Any word on what chip is inside the Hub yet?

I am guessing same sigma chipset as in wd tv live
post #142 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 04:15 PM

No power switch? I just took a look at the manual and there is a power button on the front, bottom left of the device.

Press the power button to power down the media center.
-The internal drive is put in sleep mode and other devices
can still access it.
- Press and hold for five seconds to completely shut down
the device and make the internal drive inaccessible.

BTW, where'd you pick it up? BB.ca or elsewhere?
post #143 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 04:21 PM

I took a quick look at the manual. looks like you can indeed access the internal HD through the network and upload/download files.

ron, can you please try accessing USB drives attached to the live hub from your pc on the network? im wondering how will they show up? different drives? or one single shared device?
post #144 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:

No power switch? I just took a look at the manual and there is a power button on the front, bottom left of the device.

Press the power button to power down the media center.
-The internal drive is put in sleep mode and other devices
can still access it.
- Press and hold for five seconds to completely shut down
the device and make the internal drive inaccessible.

BTW, where'd you pick it up? BB.ca or elsewhere?

I figured it was not really working as the fan still runs...never shuts off. Maybe I will let it try this overnight to see in morning if fan still running; guess fan will always run unless turn it ALL off. got at bb canada tons there
post #145 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:

I took a quick look at the manual. looks like you can indeed access the internal HD through the network and upload/download files.

ron, can you please try accessing USB drives attached to the live hub from your pc on the network? im wondering how will they show up? different drives? or one single shared device?

different drives...you can access the hub from your local pc as well..just http to the wdtv hub's ip address and you can run some basic settings
post #146 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Can you connect an external DVD drive to this unit and play DVD data discs?
post #147 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM

no..why would you want to?
post #148 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post

no..why would you want to?

To play my MKV movies which are recorded on DVD data discs.
post #149 of 2252 Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenLong View Post

Still can't log on to it via the web interface. It wants a password, won't accept blank, and I can't find where to set it in the UI. Anyone got a hint.

try admin
post #150 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

I am guessing same sigma chipset as in wd tv live

SMP8656 or SMP8646?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List