post #1651 of 2247 Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE21286 View Post

So having some problem with my new WD TV Live Media Hub around an external USB hard drive

FYI - I've upgraded to the newest firmware.

The USB hard drive was plugged in and worked fine. I tried to eject the hard drive from the system, but it froze (basically it showed a loop signal that continued to loop for hours and was still doing so when I woke in the morning).

I unplugged the hard drive and turned off the machine.

I plugged my hard drive into my computer and it asked to scan for errors. I declined as this is a large hard drive (2TB) and I did not want to do so.

I added a couple new files and plugged the hard drive back into the WDTV Live Media Hub and it was now not recognized.

Looking around the internet I"m seeing that this is a common issue? That I HAVE to eject the hard drive in order for it to be plugged in successfully again after removal? The problem is the device wouldn't let me do so :?

I'm currently scanning the hard drive (on my PC), but it's gonna take foooooorever. This is what was recommended on another forum post I saw.

Thoughts/Advice?

Did you unplug the power cord to the Hub besides just turning it off? If you suspect something was corrupt you can delete the .wd_tv folder (**EDIT** Make a backup of this folder first just in case) in your external hard drive and then hook it back up to the Hub. Of course the Hub will have to REcompile the media library but at least it will give you a clean fresh start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2247 Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Liked: 10
FYI

After running the scan (not the full sector one) on my USB external HDD the WD TV Live Media Hub recognized it again.
post #1653 of 2247 Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE21286 View Post

I don't know if that's really a bad idea ("that" being not doing the hard drive scan)

I forego the scan all the time on multiple SD/MicroSD/HDDs etc. and have never had a problem as a result.

That just means you have been lucky, not that it isn't necessary.
post #1654 of 2247 Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just got my Hub today and was wondering the best way to connect to WHS? Seems like when I connect to my server I get all shares not just the Video or Music shares, etc.

Also, in my reading, it sounds like an older firmware used to return to the last folder. With 3.00.28 it goes to the root each time. Can that be changed?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #1655 of 2247 Old 12-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubut View Post

That just means you have been lucky, not that it isn't necessary.

Hundreds of times consecutively? Not sure if that's luck.

Any way thanks for your help everyone. This thread is great.
post #1656 of 2247 Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Sorry if I might be off topic but,
Has anyone here tried playing bluray 3d iso files (framepacked on external hard drive) on this with success?
post #1657 of 2247 Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imwatchinu View Post

Sorry if I might be off topic but,
Has anyone here tried playing bluray 3d iso files (framepacked on external hard drive) on this with success?

Yes. I have. They will not play. To the best of my knowledge, there are no media players that will play 3d in frame packed format.
post #1658 of 2247 Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the response, I just bought the WDTV live and it did not work on my 3D iso's, I thought I was doing something wrong or maybe I needed the WD media hub. Thank you for confirming, saved me a trip back and forth to BB.
post #1659 of 2247 Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Hi. I just bought WD TV Live Hub and had a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to on WD's site or manual, if anyone can help, please!

1. Is it possible to watch something off a USB drive or external HD without syncing it over to the WD TV's HD?

2. Is it possible to watch or do something on the WD TV while it's syncing?

3. Is it possible to manually start a sync? My WD TV was on screensaver one time and I plugged in a USB drive. I pressed the OK button on the remote and it cancelled sync, so I had to reconnect the USB.

4. Is there a way to delete subtitle files (.srt) in the WD TV, or do I have to go on a computer?

5. Is there a way to create new folders and rename things in the WD TV or do I have to do that on a computer?

6. Lastly, how do you organize and name your folders for WD TV? I know this seems like a weird question, I'm looking for a good system to organize my stuff and was wondering if anyone's using a more effective or organized way. Just looking for some new ideas, by any chance.

Any answers would be much appreciated. Thank you!
post #1660 of 2247 Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 AM

After awhile of messing around, I accidentally found out how for #1. Apparently the other drives are hidden until you press, I think the red B button when you're in one of the main folders before going into the internal HD (video for example).
post #1661 of 2247 Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xise View Post

Hi. I just bought WD TV Live Hub and had a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to on WD's site or manual, if anyone can help, please!

1. Is it possible to watch something off a USB drive or external HD without syncing it over to the WD TV's HD?

2. Is it possible to watch or do something on the WD TV while it's syncing?

3. Is it possible to manually start a sync? My WD TV was on screensaver one time and I plugged in a USB drive. I pressed the OK button on the remote and it cancelled sync, so I had to reconnect the USB.

4. Is there a way to delete subtitle files (.srt) in the WD TV, or do I have to go on a computer?

5. Is there a way to create new folders and rename things in the WD TV or do I have to do that on a computer?

6. Lastly, how do you organize and name your folders for WD TV? I know this seems like a weird question, I'm looking for a good system to organize my stuff and was wondering if anyone's using a more effective or organized way. Just looking for some new ideas, by any chance.

Any answers would be much appreciated. Thank you!

1) Yes.
2) In general, yes.
3) I'm not sure.
4) No. They're not displayed in the UI, so you need to use a computer.
5) No. You must use a computer.
6) I group by MOVIES and TV SHOWS.
Then for TV Shows, each SERIES gets its own folder.
Then for each SERIES, each SEASON gets its own folder.
All episodes of one season are in that folder.
post #1662 of 2247 Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 AM

Just set this up tonight but one question i got. On my computer i got a folder called movies and a file called tv shows. Its the only two folders i wish to share. They are on the same drive. When i go to video I want only those two folders to show up not all the other folders on the drive to show up too. I got this for my parents so i want accessing the media to be as simple as possible. Right now when i click on video from the menu i see C, E, F, and public share. I guess its trying to share the entire computer Hmm not sure how to set this up the way i want.
post #1663 of 2247 Old 12-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus305 View Post

Just set this up tonight but one question i got. On my computer i got a folder called movies and a file called tv shows. Its the only two folders i wish to share. They are on the same drive. When i go to video I want only those two folders to show up not all the other folders on the drive to show up too. I got this for my parents so i want accessing the media to be as simple as possible. Right now when i click on video from the menu i see C, E, F, and public share. I guess its trying to share the entire computer Hmm not sure how to set this up the way i want.

If you manually go to the folders (like you have been) and add them to the favorites is the easiest work around that I have been able to find. To get to favorites just push the down arrow from the main menu. It's a bit of a cludge but still better than having to wade through all the other folders and what not.
post #1664 of 2247 Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

If you manually go to the folders (like you have been) and add them to the favorites is the easiest work around that I have been able to find. To get to favorites just push the down arrow from the main menu. It's a bit of a cludge but still better than having to wade through all the other folders and what not.

thanks for the help that should help out. One other question my hdd i got is almost filled up so i need to start another movies folder on another hdd. Can i make it so both movie folders from two hdd's appear to be just one folder on wdtv?
post #1665 of 2247 Old 12-11-2011, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the help that should help out. One other question my hdd i got is almost filled up so i need to start another movies folder on another hdd. Can i make it so both movie folders from two hdd's appear to be just one folder on wdtv?

No. That is something that would have to occur at the storage device.
post #1666 of 2247 Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately no. What WDTV calls a "library" is little more than some pictures and plot associated with the movie files. An actual "library" should be an aggregate of several different locations showing up as only one. I don't know why they don't let us assign our own folders to the "video" part of the menu. Definitely a short coming
post #1667 of 2247 Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

Unfortunately no. What WDTV calls a "library" is little more than some pictures and plot associated with the movie files. An actual "library" should be an aggregate of several different locations showing up as only one. I don't know why they don't let us assign our own folders to the "video" part of the menu. Definitely a short coming

Is there any way in windows to make a folder that is made up of different folders from different drives? I guess thats the only think i could think of as a way around it.
post #1668 of 2247 Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I solved that problem by installing 3 TB. WD my book external drive to the usb1 on my media hub,and transferring the MOVIES folder from hub's internal drive to it. On hub's drive I have only TV folder. This way for now I have 3TB. for the movies and 1TB. for TV shows. The root menu will look like this:
WDTVLiveHub
My_Book
By selecting the Hub you get TV ,and My_Book ,the movies.
post #1669 of 2247 Old 12-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Is there any way in windows to make a folder that is made up of different folders from different drives? I guess thats the only think i could think of as a way around it.

That a good idea! I haven't tried it using windows library shares but it should work. I have ended up just living with using favorites set up on an external hard drive just so I dont have to wonder whether my computer is on. Plus the built in media server on the hub serves video and music to everything else in the house.

Once I set up a home server it will make life alot easier
post #1670 of 2247 Old 12-13-2011, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For anyone that has an external hard drive connected to their hub, I received my 2 TB WD Elements drive, is there anything I need to do to it before I start moving over media as far as formatting or anything?
post #1671 of 2247 Old 12-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Is it possible to login to Youtube on the Youtube Leanback app?
post #1672 of 2247 Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

For anyone that has an external hard drive connected to their hub, I received my 2 TB WD Elements drive, is there anything I need to do to it before I start moving over media as far as formatting or anything?

Yes you will need to format it NTFS using your PC. The Hub may be able to do that, but I always use a PC.
post #1673 of 2247 Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post

Yes you will need to format it NTFS using your PC. The Hub may be able to do that, but I always use a PC.

Well, here is another dumb question then......I already transferred about 1 TB of media to the drive and didn't format it. So, what is the downside of benefits of formatting to NTFS?
post #1674 of 2247 Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

Well, here is another dumb question then......I already transferred about 1 TB of media to the drive and didn't format it. So, what is the downside of benefits of formatting to NTFS?

It must have come pre-formatted then. However, if it is FAT32 (not likely) you will run into file size limits. You can plug it into your PC and look at the drive properties (right click on My Computer if running Windows and look at file system) and it will tell you how it is formatted.

Also by reformatting the drive you get rid of the extra WD software that is on the drive. However, since you have data on it already, it is not worth the trouble.
post #1675 of 2247 Old 12-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

External hard drives almost always come preformatted with NTFS, unless they're marked as intended for iMac.

The WD 2TB Elements is most definitely preformatted NTFS, so you have nothing to worry about...
post #1676 of 2247 Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 PM

Hi guys, i just have a couple question, i'm on the borderline of buying this unit, as it seems to have everything i need. I mainly want to use it as a NAS but also connected to a TV to play the video files i have.

1) Once i connect it to the network, it can act as a DLNA server right? I plan to use my xbox360 which is connected to another TV to play movies off this device. Most of my movies are divx codecs, so to my understanding it should work right?

2) i read through the reviews and it seems that the transfer over network is slow, but how slow is it? For individual movies/shows i'd still like to be able to transfer over the network. Of course the initial transfer i will use an external HD

3) Can multiple devices be playing contents off of it over the network at the same time? (using the DLNA functionality)

4) How good is it to be used to store photos/music etc? I dont need to see them or play it on the TV, but accessing them through the network on any connected PC or ipad should be no problem right?

5) Is content management mostly done through PC or directly on the box??

thanks guys!
isaac
post #1677 of 2247 Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

1) Yes.
2) Most people get between 8 and 10 megabytes per second via wired networking.
3) Depends on the media being played.
4) ??
5) I find it most convenient to do it via PC.
post #1678 of 2247 Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Hello guys,

I have a question about the WDTV Live with the latest firmware.

Does it support 3TB NTFS formatted USB 3.0 external hard drives (All my MKV 1080p movies are two of those Seagate Goflex 3 TB drives) ? My research showed that many of the streamers do not have this support and won't detect external drives above 2TB.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Hemanth
post #1679 of 2247 Old 12-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post

Hello guys,

I have a question about the WDTV Live with the latest firmware.

Does it support 3TB NTFS formatted USB 3.0 external hard drives (All my MKV 1080p movies are two of those Seagate Goflex 3 TB drives) ? My research showed that many of the streamers do not have this support and won't detect external drives above 2TB.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Hemanth

I have a 3 tb WD Elements connected to my hub. Its only usb2 though. Works fine. The only thing is that it takes a little longer for the Hub to power up because it waits for the Elements drive to spin up.

drkashner
post #1680 of 2247 Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkashner View Post

I have a 3 tb WD Elements connected to my hub. Its only usb2 though. Works fine. The only thing is that it takes a little longer for the Hub to power up because it waits for the Elements drive to spin up.

Thanks mate. My research yesterday indicated that they are not supported in WDTV or NeoTV550. May be a firmware update added the support?

Btw. Is it NTFS formatted?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page