Advertisement

post #152 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

To play my MKV movies which are recorded on DVD data discs.

Honestly that is a waste and defeats the purpose of a media server...I have a linux box which also serves media (naslite-m2).

IMHO optical media is too slow and a waste of time now with hard drives so cheap. I just serve my mkvs...
post #153 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 05:48 AM

I can verify that the fan never shuts off unless you physically power the whole unit down via the button on the front. The fan is not noisy...hopefully it will not breakdown (i.e., get very loud over time)

would like to take this thing apart ;-)
post #154 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Very happy with WDTV, had first generation, but got tired of "sneaker" transfer. I almost purchased the Live plus as my replacement until I read about this. If I only had a TV that did DLNA. I guess I;ll be buying the Live Plus after all. :-) for my upstairs.

I did have a problem seeing the Hub's HDD on my network and I could access my PC's drive from the Hub. I resolved this after reading the manual.

In Explorer

\\\\wdtvlivehub

Then map each drive as a network drive.
Services work fine such as Weather, YouTube and radio stations and I can access the Hub via my browse.

Weather found Halifax, NS after extensive seaching on their site.

Wow! Canada had a release before the US.
post #155 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhz.hrm View Post

Wow! Canada had a release before the US.

Umm...Just in case you did not know WD is using y'all as the guinea pigs.....

LOL...........
post #156 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior King View Post

LOL...........

And I'm one of them! I'm testing it now! Works fine.
post #157 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey View Post

How does the PQ compare to that of a Bluray player?
post #158 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey View Post

We all down here eagerly await y'alls opinions and comments after some time with the player.

As of know my mind was made up to acquire one of the Dune smart series player, the D1, but alas here comes a curve ball from WD. I really don't know how long i can wait for HDI to get them out. This has gone from a waiting game to a crying game.

Regards
post #159 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

We all down here eagerly await y'alls opinions and comments after some time with the player.

As of know my mind was made up to acquire one of the Dune smart series player, the D1, but alas here comes a curve ball from WD. I really don't know how long i can wait for HDI to get them out. This has gone from a waiting game to a crying game.

Regards

In the US, the NTV 550 from Netgear appears to be a better bet at a lower price point compared to anything from HDI. The WD offering doesn't have Blu-Ray license or pass through for DTS-HD.. The advantage, of course, is the built in media server and hard disk.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #160 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

In the US, the NTV 550 from Netgear appears to be a better bet at a lower price point compared to anything from HDI. The WD offering doesn't have Blu-Ray license or pass through for DTS-HD.. The advantage, of course, is the built in media server and hard disk.

I briefly look at the NTV 550 but never really done any research. I will have to go and check out the official thread. BTW does it support zappiti or my movies.
post #161 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

I wonder why the box says Adobe Flash lite, and yet there's no browser. Maybe they plan on adding the browser later? hmm.

So do you guys think that it's worth the $230 price tag?

Yes, especially since it includes the HD, has Netflix and other services and is supported by a large company. This seems far more interesting than the WD Live and Live Plus which were pretty nice themselves. The form factor is more appealing to me. The fan is unfortunate, but perhaps it is quiet?

philip
post #162 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL...........

Heh ... we are used to it...

philip
post #163 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I briefly look at the NTV 550 but never really done any research. I will have to go and check out the official thread. BTW does it support zappiti or my movies.

It has its own scraping / coverart program for the PC. More details in the official thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Yes, especially since it includes the HD, has Netflix and other services and is supported by a large company. This seems far more interesting than the WD Live and Live Plus which were pretty nice themselves. The form factor is more appealing to me. The fan is unfortunate, but perhaps it is quiet?

philip

The fan is very quiet (much more silent compared to the 25 dB measured on some ASRock HTPCs), and it is also facing downwards (the unit is a bit raised due to the bush standings). So, you almost never hear the fan.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #164 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2. Description for the CA $230 model:

It's $220 at Best Buy in Canada. That's a pretty good price, especially with the 1TB hard drive. Interesting player.

philip
post #165 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

It's $220 at Best Buy in Canada. That's a pretty good price, especially with the 1TB hard drive. Interesting player.

philip

Yes, there was a price drop... and the US price is even lower

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #166 of 2252 Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

What's a blu-ray license? Does that mean you can hook up an external bluray drive and play disks off of it?

As for DTS-HD, well I guess I'll have to upgrade my speaker system sometime to take advantage of that lol. I have a cheap chinese stereo receiver that powers two 12'' speakers. Eventually though, I'd love to get a decent audio system. How much would that run with a receiver and speakers?

Quote:

Yes, there was a price drop... and the US price is even lower

Nice to hear. Any word on if they are including a 2TB option as well? Curious how much that will cost if it's still in the running. Would definitely consider it if it's less than 300. Would be even better if WD just had a SATA bay, but that would mean that you could purchase a non-WD drive
post #167 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's a blu-ray license? Does that mean you can hook up an external bluray drive and play disks off of it?

Yes, that is possible. Of more interest is the fact that a Blu-Ray license would enable full Blu-Ray ISO with menu playback. There is always the problem that such a player would need to implement Cinavia, but that is a story for another day.

Quote:
As for DTS-HD, well I guess I'll have to upgrade my speaker system sometime to take advantage of that lol. I have a cheap chinese stereo receiver that powers two 12'' speakers. Eventually though, I'd love to get a decent audio system. How much would that run with a receiver and speakers?

My Onkyo 606 + 5.1 speakers from Boston Acoustics (pretty good for entry level) with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming capability was purchased for $500 two years back.

Quote:
Nice to hear. Any word on if they are including a 2TB option as well? Curious how much that will cost if it's still in the running. Would definitely consider it if it's less than 300. Would be even better if WD just had a SATA bay, but that would mean that you could purchase a non-WD drive

No 2 TB option.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #168 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I doubt 1.5TB and 2.0TB will happen any time soon (if ever), considering such drives don't even exist yet.
post #169 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

I doubt 1.5TB and 2.0TB will happen any time soon (if ever), considering such drives don't even exist yet.

They already have 3TB drives out

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=866

And if you go to Amazon and type in 2TB drive, you'll see plenty of internal and external options. Same with 3TB.
They aren't cheap, but they certainly exist.
post #170 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

They already have 3TB drives out

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=866

And if you go to Amazon and type in 2TB drive, you'll see plenty of internal and external options. Same with 3TB.
They aren't cheap, but they certainly exist.

I thought the same thing, until I figured out WDFan must have meant 2.5" drives not the 3.5". I believe the LiveHub uses a 2.5" drive.
post #171 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post

My Airlink 101 Model AWLL6075 USB wireless n adapter works perfectly!!!

Very cool. I just bought one of those for $10 last week from Meritline.

This unit has peaked my interest. Any opinions between the WDTV Live Hub and the Nixeus Fusion HD? There are a lot of similar features after reading all the posts. I'm just currently doing research for my next media player purchase

For around the same price, the WDTV Live Hub already comes with 1TB. Whereas the Nixeus Fusion HD can handle a 3.5" 2TB HDD.
post #172 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Based on the progress that's been made with custom firmware for other WDTV products, I'm sure we'll see a number of hacks for the Hub, once it finally hits mainstream markets.

I'm assuming that the HDD inside is the 1tb WD 2.5" blue using a standard SATA interface. I'm sure somebody will show us how to connect a 2+TB 3.5" drive, though it obviously won't fit inside the current Hub chassis.

I'm glad to see the manual finally online. Smartphone and web-browser remote control. Nice. How long till somebody makes and iphone/touch app?

-Dave
post #173 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Do you have some information on the file transfer speeds you are getting for transfer from your computer to the LiveHub hard disk? (Also, details of your network -- whether it is GbE connected to a GbE router etc. would be helpful). I am trying to determine whether something is wrong with my review unit, or is everyone experiencing the same speeds in transfer...

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #174 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yes, that is possible. Of more interest is the fact that a Blu-Ray license would enable full Blu-Ray ISO with menu playback. There is always the problem that such a player would need to implement Cinavia, but that is a story for another day.

My Onkyo 606 + 5.1 speakers from Boston Acoustics (pretty good for entry level) with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming capability was purchased for $500 two years back.

No 2 TB option.

Well! I see you much knowledgeable here

please advise when will we see those here in bay area? and if you will be reviewing one soon?
post #175 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

please advise when will we see those here in bay area? and if you will be reviewing one soon?

I have been playing with the review unit over the weekend. NDA lifting / official PR release will be sometime this week, so you can definitely get your hands on one before this weekend.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #176 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I have been playing with the review unit over the weekend. NDA lifting / official PR release will be sometime this week, so you can definitely get your hands on one before this weekend.

fantastic!

Btw is chip set any different from plus or reg WDTV LIVE? and how?
post #177 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yeah, sorry... The box obviously must have a 2.5" drive in order for it to fit in such a small package. Nothing bigger than a 1TB drive exists today in the 2.5" space.

I would imagine a 2TB or 3TB 3.5" or even an eSata would be simple enough, unless WD does something in the BIOS to make sure only the "official" drives boot, by checking the Drive ID or Fingerprint or whatever...
post #178 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

fantastic!

Btw is chip set any different from plus or reg WDTV LIVE? and how?

Not yet opened up the case (I am yet to take the product shots), but some files which didn't play properly on the Live+ (standard H264 actually) also show the same symptom on the Live Hub. My suspicion is that the decoder is still Sigma, but there must be some extra components on the board for the GbE functionality.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #179 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Corrected - I've seen several references in this thread that the WDTV Live Hub doesn't pass DTS HD-MA. It should at least bitstream the core DTS out when there is a DTS HD-MA track. I have ripped quite a few of my Blu-rays with DTS HD-MA audio tracks and they bitstream as Core DTS just fine from my WDTV Live to my AVR (where they are decoded). The original (first generation unit introduced two years ago) WDTV did not support the DTS HD formats however and you would get no audio out when a only a DTS HD-MA audio track was present.

A Question for the new WDTV Live Hub owners - has anyone tried or investigated if it is compatible with the new 3TB USB external hard drives?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #180 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I've seen several references in this thread that the WDTV Live Hub doesn't pass DTS HD-MA. If this is true (which I question) it would be a step backwards since the "WDTV Live" does bitstream DTS HD-MA if you rip the Blu-ray keeping its native m2ts file format. I have ripped quite a few of my Blu-rays with DTS HD-MA audio tracks and they bitstream just fine from my WDTV Live to my AVR (where they are decoded). The original (first generation unit introduced two years ago) WDTV did not support the DTS HD formats however.

Are you sure about this? I tested out with a few M2TS files myself, and only the core DTS track (and not the master audio) is bitstreamed out (on both Live and LiveHub). So, we do get the audio, but not the DTS-HD MSTR display on the AVR.

On the improvements side, TrueHD in MKV now bitstreams. Earlier only TrueHD in M2TS was supported (in Live and Live+).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page