*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How does the PQ compare to that of previous WD players and Bluray players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

How does the PQ compare to that of previous WD players and Bluray players?

PQ is same as / slightly better than previous WD players.

As for comparing with Blu-Ray players, it depends on the model. You should get similar PQ as what you get from the sub - $200 players. On the other hand, if you go for the $499 BR players, they have dedicated video processors which will obviously give better PQ.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #183 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

PQ is same as / slightly better than previous WD players.

As for comparing with Blu-Ray players, it depends on the model. You should get similar PQ as what you get from the sub - $200 players. On the other hand, if you go for the $499 BR players, they have dedicated video processors which will obviously give better PQ.

How about PQ comparison with PS3?
post #184 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post

How about PQ comparison with PS3?

Well, I will ask one of my colleagues who has a PS3 to run the HQV benchmarks, but my guess is that PS3 quality could be better just because it has more circuitry to perform post-decoded video processing compared to the Sigma decoder (Whether PS3 firmware makes use of those features or not, I don't know).

Ganesh T S
post #185 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Are you sure about this? I tested out with a few M2TS files myself, and only the core DTS track (and not the master audio) is bitstreamed out (on both Live and LiveHub). So, we do get the audio, but not the DTS-HD MSTR display on the AVR.

On the improvements side, TrueHD in MKV now bitstreams. Earlier only TrueHD in M2TS was supported (in Live and Live+).

Sorry for the confusion of my earlier post. The WDTV Live bitstreams the core DTS when the audio track (m2ts or ISO format) is in DTS HD-MA format. Some posts seem to have implied you get no audio bitstreamed out when there is a only a DTS HD-MA track.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #186 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I will ask one of my colleagues who has a PS3 to run the HQV benchmarks, but my guess is that PS3 quality could be better just because it has more circuitry to perform post-decoded video processing compared to the Sigma decoder (Whether PS3 firmware makes use of those features or not, I don't know).

Would be interesting to know which Sigma chip. Also, since you are performing testing and analysis, could you check if you can connect an external USB DVD drive to play DVDs and data discs?
post #187 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
In response to your transfer speed question, I get 10.5MBps on my network to the WDTV. Afaik, the WDTV live hub is connected at 1gbps, because the light on the switch is green (as opposed to being red for 100mbps). The machine that is sourcing the material can transfer to another machine on the gbe lan @ 100+MBps.
post #188 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalinferno View Post

In response to your transfer speed question, I get 10.5MBps on my network to the WDTV. Afaik, the WDTV live hub is connected at 1gbps, because the light on the switch is green (as opposed to being red for 100mbps). The machine that is sourcing the material can transfer to another machine on the gbe lan @ 100+MBps.

Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I am seeing in my testbed also.

Shouldn't a GbE NIC support much higher transfer rates? I am going to ask WD about this.....

Ganesh T S
post #189 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Are you sure about this? I tested out with a few M2TS files myself, and only the core DTS track (and not the master audio) is bitstreamed out (on both Live and LiveHub). So, we do get the audio, but not the DTS-HD MSTR display on the AVR.

On the improvements side, TrueHD in MKV now bitstreams. Earlier only TrueHD in M2TS was supported (in Live and Live+).

are we talking abt core 1536mbps? Unfortunately there is no way to see bit rate displayed on WDTV LIVE
post #190 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

are we talking abt core 1536mbps? Unfortunately there is no way to see bit rate displayed on WDTV LIVE

No, bit rate is not the problem here. The issue is that DTS-HD has a core track of just DTS, and WDTV Live (+,Hub) just bitstreams that core out. So, we get only DTS displayed on the AVR instead of DTS-HD MSTR.

Btw, the bitrate is 1536 Kbps

Ganesh T S
post #191 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WD has a webpage linked from Google (don't know how Google found it, because I don't know what links to it)

but:

500GB, 750GB and 1TB are the only sizes on the record. No 1.5TB or 2TB exists, despite what the "WD Beta Tester" said.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...d=1010&lang=en
post #192 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmarc View Post

Very cool. I just bought one of those for $10 last week from Meritline.

This unit has peaked my interest. Any opinions between the WDTV Live Hub and the Nixeus Fusion HD? There are a lot of similar features after reading all the posts. I'm just currently doing research for my next media player purchase

For around the same price, the WDTV Live Hub already comes with 1TB. Whereas the Nixeus Fusion HD can handle a 3.5" 2TB HDD.

The reason why I'll go with the Hub instead of the Fusion is because the Hub has component and I need that. That and the Netflix support, though I do hear that they are working to get Netflix on the Fusion. It's certainly a great player and their company is small and very reachable. Release updates very often. The option to insert your own drive is great. The negative about the Hub is that the drive is built in, so if it dies you're kind of screwed in that regard. Fusion also has built in wifi which is nice. If you don't care about Netflix and don't need component, then I would go with the Fusion most definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavet View Post

I'm assuming that the HDD inside is the 1tb WD 2.5" blue using a standard SATA interface. I'm sure somebody will show us how to connect a 2+TB 3.5" drive, though it obviously won't fit inside the current Hub chassis.

-Dave

They could've just made the unit a little bigger and put 3.5'' drives inside. A 2TB option would've been nice. 2.5 inchers are slower and most expensive than 3.5, so I really don't understand WD's choice here.
post #193 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Sorry to ask the obvious but what is the official release date in the US?

I haven't seen anything about this leaked on the usual tech blogs.
post #194 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinten View Post

Sorry to ask the obvious but what is the official release date in the US?

I haven't seen anything about this leaked on the usual tech blogs.

Because the reputed sites which have got the info are under NDA

All I can say is that you will get it this week.

Ganesh T S
post #195 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 02:19 PM

Everybody likes a stealth launch a la Apple but I am not sure that this device and WD qualify for such an approach, especially when your major retail partner is BBY.

I like the device from what I read but a little more info before retail availability would be nice. No black turtleneck sweater approach required...

Thanks for the info.
post #196 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 04:16 PM

If netflix streams well on this I will be sold. I have been waiting for something with this feature set.
post #197 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplusc View Post

If netflix streams well on this I will be sold. I have been waiting for something with this feature set.

Yes, Netflix streams very well. Absolutely no issues, and you can search and add movies from within the box (no need to queue up on the PC)

Ganesh T S
post #198 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM

I have been playing with the box since Friday. (purchased BB Dartmouth Crossing, NS).

Big plus I find for the WDTV Live Hub over the Live Plus in addition to being a media server/with1 TB storage is the remote. The first generation wdtv the remote is to small and fast forwarding was a pain to use. As mentioned in an early message, up to 16x fast froward and one can forward to a "time" in the video.

Using Cat5 no problem going from my PC to see the WDTVLiveHub, However. for the WDTVLiveHub to see my PC I had to change the WDTV default WORKGROUP from WORKGROUP to match my network Msxxxxx (case sensitive) and activate Network DDE and Network DDE DSDM from Administrative Tools, Services (using XP). Of course folders on my PC need to be shared.
post #199 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Forgive me for my total newby questions but this is a new world to me....

Since this is a media server as well as a media player, will I be able to stream files from it to an Oppo BD83 that is also hard wired into my network?

Similar to the above, would I be able to stream to a different media player (non WD) also on my network?

If I have a NAS in my network, would this be used to serve files to say the Oppo?

How would I back up the files on this?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #200 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

What? Only 10 with a GB NIC? Even my old P4 computer can transfer 4x that! Very lame and makes me really wonder how they are even supporting GB port when Sigma doesn't even support it officially.
post #201 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM

Well its definately a GbE port (it connects at Gb to my switch). But I get 10.5MB to it... thats big B, or ~84Mbps. Not sure why.
post #202 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Well its definately a GbE port (it connects at Gb to my switch). But I get 10.5MB to it... thats big B, or ~84Mbps. Not sure why.

Could be just a firmware issue. They'll probably fix it with an update. You should call support though and see what they say, though the product isn't even officially out yet lol.
post #203 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

Could be just a firmware issue. They'll probably fix it with an update. You should call support though and see what they say, though the product isn't even officially out yet lol.

Nope Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is the maximum capability of the unit. Better than the standard 100 Mbps ports which give only 6 - 7 MB/s, but not as high as what GbE led us to believe

Ganesh T S
post #204 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

They could've just made the unit a little bigger and put 3.5'' drives inside. A 2TB option would've been nice. 2.5 inchers are slower and most expensive than 3.5, so I really don't understand WD's choice here.

A 2.5" drive is absolutely the right choice. 3.5" drives are the past, generate more heat and have no advantages other than current pricing over a smaller drive. Things are moving away from physical drives altogether.

philip
post #205 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason you get that or perhaps 20MB/s tops is the limitation of the cpu. You will never get 70MB/s.

philip
post #206 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

What? Only 10 with a GB NIC? Even my old P4 computer can transfer 4x that! Very lame and makes me really wonder how they are even supporting GB port when Sigma doesn't even support it officially.

That's because the P4 was more powerful in that respect. At best you will never get more than 250Mb/s from these media players even if they had Tb/s ports.

philip
post #207 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Netflix streams very well. Absolutely no issues, and you can search and add movies from within the box (no need to queue up on the PC)

Would you know if the player supported Netflix in Canada?

philip
post #208 of 2252 Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not bad. It would be nice to get 50% or perhaps double an increase. You will never get the same performance as a high-end processor. Even a NAS with gigabit networking such as the DNS-323 will not do 20MB/s. A WHS is faster but then you have a stronger processor.

philip
post #209 of 2252 Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 AM

Liked: 27
Here is what i read from an unofficial source:
box has same ram, same chipset, and same amount of nand as live/plus. the only differences are:
- 1TB 2.5" WD scorpio blue sata drive
- rtl gigE chip
- HDMI 1.4

So no surprise with the bad ethernet transfer speeds thanks to the old sigma processor. I wonder what makes it hdmi 1.4 tho. Shouldn't it have to do side by side and frmae packing 3d etc. if it was
post #210 of 2252 Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodkopje View Post

Here is what i read from an unofficial source:
box has same ram, same chipset, and same amount of nand as live/plus. the only differences are:
- 1TB 2.5" WD scorpio blue sata drive
- rtl gigE chip
- HDMI 1.4

So no surprise with the bad ethernet transfer speeds thanks to the old sigma processor. I wonder what makes it hdmi 1.4 tho. Shouldn't it have to do side by side and frmae packing 3d etc. if it was

The unofficial source is correct. I just finished photographing the internals of the unit for my 'official' review. Now, got to get back to my review in time for the NDA lifting

Ganesh T S
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page