*Official* WD TV Live Hub Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This model hasn't been officially announced yet, but the device already appears to be uPnP certified (certification date is Sep 7, 2010). So, the official information available so far is here:

http://upnp.org/product/561

Quote:
WD TV Live Hub Media Center is a high-definition network media player with a 2.5” HDD built-in and with Gig-Ethernet functionality that is designed to satisfy the needs of users who wish to have the freedom of moving their content via network, and also to enjoy content streamed from the internet. Furthermore, with the built-in content services and HDD, user can download premium content directly into the media center without going through a PC.||||With its build-in high definition user interface, the network media center allows user to quickly navigate and playback media content that is stored in its embedded HDD, USB mass storage devices, or Internet on to a television. With the networking support, user can now drag and drop content from a computer to the embedded HDD. Also, Internet content from service providers such as Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Live365, Facebook, and Flickr, etc. can be streamed to the end user. The network media center attaches to an entertainment center through a variety of audio/video interfaces and supports playback of all the major audio, image, and video file formats. It supports high-definition video playback up to 1080p through the HDMI video output

Looks like this is going to be one of the first media players with a GbE port. We will probably get to know further details soon.

Let us use this thread to discuss what can be expected from this player, your feedback for WD, and of course, how you would want it to be evaluated.

Edits:

1. Google search yields a BestBuy link (Seems to have been pulled down as of Oct 15, 5:12 PM PST)

Picture:

2. Description for the CA $230 model:

Quote:
Load up the high-capacity drive with all your media to create your own personal media jukebox. With just a few clicks, you can play your home movies, share vacation slideshows, and play your music on the big screen and sound system in your living room.

* Access popular Internet content from the comfort of your living room via wired network connection
* Full HD 1080p video playback makes this Hub the perfect partner for your compatible HDTV
* Use the programmable remote control to make your entertainment choices using animated navigation menus
* Play almost any type of media file; the WD TV Live Hub supports a wide variety of the most popular file formats including HD camcorder video formats (no need to spend time transcoding)
* Store all your media on the 1TB hard drive, and the Live Hub finds and categorizes it all and displays it in one easy-to-view menu system
* Copy, move or delete files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, your camcorder, or a camera to the Live Hub built-in drive using the on-screen menus
* Stream any file on the WD TV Live Hub media center to a WD TV Live Plus or WD TV Live media player or any DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc player, or game console
* Powerful enough to handle multiple streams so you can stream a movie in one room, while viewing photos on your TV upstairs
* Cool, quiet and ultra-compact design
* Supports a wireless network connection to your home network with an optional USB wireless adapter (sold separately)
* HDMI 1.4, composite video and component video output
* An optical audio output sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

* Reserved for official spec list *

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 07:15 PM

Liked: 10
Hi.

1st time poster, long time lurker.

I managed to pick one of these up today. It's now been pulled from the BestBuy.ca website, but I had a printout of the page to show the blue shirt. It was in their computers, and they had 2 in the back.

The manual lists http://products.wdc.com/WDTVLiveHub as the main website.

I'll post more once I've played with it.

-Dave
post #4 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks nice

Did you go out to Best Buy after seeing my first post here?

Fan seems to be a new addition compared to the WDTV / Live / Live Plus, but, with a 1 TB hard drive inside, I guess they couldn't avoid it.

Btw, if the internal HD is really 2.5" only, then it has got to be the Scorpio Blue. The drive itself is around $120 here in the US. Considering the cost of the unit, I don't think one can hold hope for Blu-Ray ISO or full HD audio bitstreaming (why HDMI 1.4, though?) I am curious about the internal chipset also, since Sigma doesn't have a HDMI 1.4 chip yet... and Realtek doesn't have one either AFAIK...

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #5 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 08:38 PM

Quick summary:

1.has played every media I've thrown at it tonight, mkv, .ts, .ts (HD), avi, iso.
2a. media can be loaded to the unit over the network, you give the unit a network name (WDTVLiveHub) is the default. You can copy to it while it plays media.
2b. You can copy off of a network share to the internal HDD via the main interface, but then you can't do anything till it's done.
3. DLNA media server on/off
4. itunes server on/off
5. network share server on/off
6. proxy
7. customize remote settings for A-D, 0-9 on the remote
8. sync from USB storage
9. sync from network shared folder
10. firmware version 2.01.05

services:
1. accuweather.com
2. blockbuster on demand
3. facebook
4. flickr
5. live365.com
6. mediafly
7. netflix
8. pandora
9. youtube

misc:
component video output to 1080i/60Hz
HDMI output to 1080p/60Hz
audio output: stereo/digital pass-through/digital pass-through through optical only
allows selection of user interface themes, only ships with one (mochi)
can change user interface background images, can use your own.
can set your own images as the screen saver

1TB internal drive, formatted NTFS to 930.44GB

All in all, I'm very impressed, I think my PS3 will now be regulated to BD and DVD only.

Now, can anyone tell me how to set the WD units to auto-play the next file in a directory when it finishes the current file?

-Dave
post #6 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Did you go out to Best Buy after seeing my first post here?

No, actually. I'm traveling for the next month or so and wanted to take media with me. My old MediaGate MG35 seems to be getting bigger and heavier, and the HDD smaller and smaller, so last week I picked up a WDTV Live+ and a 1TB Passport. I filled the Passport, so I was looking at getting another 1TB Passport. I saw the LiveHub on BB.ca, so I went to check it out after work. Sometime between when I saw it on BB and when I went to the store after work, they had removed it from the website.

I was wondering what was going on as I could not find anything on the interweb about the LiveHub, not even on WD's websites.

I'll be returning the Live+ next week, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Btw, if the internal HD is really 2.5" only, then it has got to be the Scorpio Blue. The drive itself is around $120 here in the US. Considering the cost of the unit, I don't think one can hold hope for Blu-Ray ISO or full HD audio bitstreaming

The size of the LiveHub chassis would not fit a 3.5HDD, and the weight certainly isn't there, even if it was a slim 3.5" drive.

The LiveHub with the internal 1TB HDD is cheaper than a Live+ and a 1TB Passport. It's a potent unit at it's price point.

I don't have any BD ISOs, or I'd try to play them.

Something I didn't note before: the WDTV Live Hub can share media to the Live+, both the internal HDD and USB devices that are plugged into it.
You can even have both units play the same file at the same time.

-Dave
post #7 of 2252 Old 10-15-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Specs are just OK (Was expecting support for 3D playback & HD audio passthrough initially, given the advertisement of HDMI 1.4).

Any idea about the internal chipset?

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
post #8 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 01:16 AM

@mrdavet

If possible, could you kindly post some UI pics please : )

Is the UI quick?

Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 07:31 AM

some UI pics:

The LiveHub as a "media library" feature (which you can turn off) which catalogs your media to speed up the UI. With the feature turned off, I have no speed issues with operation over a media share.

There are 4 media/folder display options, selectable via a button on the remote. I prefer the one shown above. Two of the other display options are shown in the photos on the box. I'm new to the WDTV world, so my media folders aren't stocked with preview photos, so maybe the other display options would look better if I had the folder photos.

I like how the case has screw slots on the bottom for mounting on a wall or to the back of a TV/monitor.

As another side note, when the unit is powered off via the remote, you still have access over the network to the internal HDD and attached USB drives.

-Dave
post #10 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Out of curiosity, what version of firmware SHIPPED on the unit?

I notice that it says FIRMWARE AVAILABLE? Did you update it? What version is the new version?
post #11 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 AM

With so many features, it would be helpful to also note what it CAN'T do, so please share thoughts on this as they occur.

For instance, last night I determined I'd missed an earlier episode of a new TV series I'm recording. I went to the network's website, found the full episode, and watched it streaming. It's simply a website using Flash.

From what I gather, this could NOT be done via WD's device, correct? (But unfortunate because lots of good video is presented this way, not through one of the officially supported video sites.) The streamed 1 hour TV show could not be downloaded, just watched (yes, there are hack tools to download, I'm focusing on what a normal user can do.)

It would be ideal (and seems like a notable omission) for WD to ALSO support the video output of a connected PC, and/or to provide an embedded browser to view any arbitrary website. Lacking that, I'm thinking a PC with HDMI is a much more useful tool.

Am I overlooking anything?
post #12 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wow.. this looks awesome.. I really regret ordering a Sony SMP N100, this looks hands down way better due to the internal drive. Does it come with wireless? Is there a built in browser? How's the remote?

Edit: I see that it does support wireless but you have to buy a USB dongle, I hope that finding one that is compatible isn't going to be a problem.

Do you guys know how much it will cost in the US and when it will be released?

I have to decide by Monday whether to return my Sony SMP. I was thinking about getting a Fusion HD and buying a SATA drive to go in it, but this seems to be able to do everything the Fusion does and it has a drive already. Very interested now..
post #13 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavet View Post

media can be loaded to the unit over the network, you give the unit a network name (WDTVLiveHub) is the default. You can copy to it while it plays media.

This can be done wirelessly too I assume? Have you tried the unit in wireless mode yet? I wouldn't be using wires. If I can just copy media files through the network and play them directly on the unit.. that would really be amazing.
post #14 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Wow! Looks really good! Many thanks for the pics!!!

Is it possible to see the movies that you have stored on the HDD via cover art/movie posters?

Is it possible to create new folders?

Thanks again!!!
post #15 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 12:18 PM

This article http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/10/1/wd-...b-be-released/

says that there will be 2 versions. 1tb and 2tb, it also says that there will be USB3 support and built in wireless N and web browser capability. It also says it's schedule to be released late Nov. Although the accuracy of this can be questioned since the specs have already been posted and there's no internal wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawktv View Post

With so many features, it would be helpful to also note what it CAN'T do, so please share thoughts on this as they occur.

For instance, last night I determined I'd missed an earlier episode of a new TV series I'm recording. I went to the network's website, found the full episode, and watched it streaming. It's simply a website using Flash.

From what I gather, this could NOT be done via WD's device, correct?

It could be very possible to do this on the WD Hub. The box says Adobe Flash Lite so there could very well be support for streaming videos from a browser. Only someone that has the unit already can confirm this though.
post #16 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Dave, thanks for the great info and pics. Can you test the following...
- HD audio bitstream (WD TV Live bitstreams TrueHD, but not DTS-HD MA)
- Support for MKV chapters

Does it have a web browser? Can you access Hulu? (Worth a try)

Is it Netflix 2.0 or the old UI?

How is the movie jukebox or scraping?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #17 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Does it do better displaying subtitles than the WDTV Live did? In otherwords, multiple simultaneous subtitle tracks and positioning?

And more importantly, does the network sharing behave with PCs that have Windows Live Essentials 2011 installed? WLE2011 breaks network shares on the WDTV Live completely.
post #18 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Dave, you now have your 15 minutes of fame, courtesy of Engadget .

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #19 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 08:14 PM

I scanned the QR code from the photos with my iPhone -- this product is so new, the URL isn't even live yet.
post #20 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Hey wow, look at me...

so a bit more time playing with the thing.
I upgraded the firmware, but my home city no longer comes up in the AccuWeather thing. Also, it no longer displays the temperature with the time in the top right corner. Pity, I liked that.

I noticed no other major changes. Firmware is now 2.02.15.

To answer some questions:
There is no wireless included with this unit.
There is no web browser, just the 'services' listed before.
Netflix: I'm in Canuck-land, Netflix is new here, and apparently CDN-Netflix hasn't been enabled on WD devices.
I haven't found a way to create folders from within the WDTV.

For a bunch of the other stuff, I only have limited MKV files, and nothing with HD-Audio.

When playing files, there is an option button on the remote. For most files, it's just Play mode / Audio / Zoom & Pan / Delete.
There are more options for MKV:

With cover art in the folder, things look pretty good:

-Dave
post #21 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 08:40 PM
jcc
AVS Special Member

The problem I have with these media drives is that they have USB to use as masters but not slaves. That means I'm stuck using the network to transfer files. This can take way too long especially that first time when you need to dump .5tb or more onto the new drive.

Why is it so difficult for them to put in a USB slave jack?

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #22 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the awesome info, I registered 30 seconds ago so I could post.

This looks like the perfect combination of awesome-ness, but I'm either gonna need that wireless built-in/dongle or a bridge.

Couple questions:

Can it download torrents directly, like a ReadyNas?

Does it separate videos into TV Shows/Movies?

How does it get the album artwork?

Have you tried the iTunes server functionality?

Can you play files stored on the device on your computer?

Thanks!
post #23 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Yep!

I've been a member here for almost 10 years.. but never would have known without Engadget. Awesome purchase Dave.. I'm very interested in how satisfied you are with the overall experience. Glad to hear it plays everything you've thrown at it so far!

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

post #24 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

This article http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/10/1/wd-...b-be-released/

says that there will be 2 versions. 1tb and 2tb, it also says that there will be USB3 support and built in wireless N and web browser capability. It also says it's schedule to be released late Nov. Although the accuracy of this can be questioned since the specs have already been posted and there's no internal wireless.

I'm probably going to wait on later revisions. I'd definitely want the wifi-N & browser capability as this is being hooked up to the bedroom tv and I'm not planning on running any extra ethernet cable in my home. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess USB 3.0 would be helpful also when transferring up to 2TB's of data to the internal HDD.

Those added features might bring this 1TB unit to a $299 price point though..

Getting into PS3 territory!

Probably $399 for the 2TB version.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

post #25 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can you test Bluray isos? I'm guessing it doesn't do menus? Let me know please!
post #26 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavet View Post

Now, can anyone tell me how to set the WD units to auto-play the next file in a directory when it finishes the current file?

Press Play on the folder not the file and it will continue to play everything in that folder.
post #27 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Blu Ray ISOs and HD audio out in some way would make this a contender.

My HTPC Build.
post #28 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM

I wonder why the box says Adobe Flash lite, and yet there's no browser. Maybe they plan on adding the browser later? hmm.

So do you guys think that it's worth the $230 price tag?

Maybe, just maybe, on Black Friday the price will go down to $200. Just speculating. I've never actually shopped on Black Friday I might consider waiting until then to buy this since the money I save can go to buying a wireless dongle, given that this doesn't have internal wireless :/

And also hopefully by then there will be more reviews.
post #29 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post

So do you guys think that it's worth the $230 price tag?

For me I am comparing this to a Dune Smart H1/D1/B1. The Smarts look to be 25 or so bucks more but it seem slike you get alot more for the money.

Of course the the only Smart you can buy now is the H1.

My HTPC Build.
post #30 of 2252 Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post

For me I am comparing this to a Dune Smart H1/D1/B1. The Smarts look to be 25 or so bucks more but it seem slike you get alot more for the money.

Of course the the only Smart you can buy now is the H1.

Do those Dune units come with 1 TB hard drives?

I think the features on this will be very similar to Live+ . After all, the cost of this unit is just slightly less than Live+ + 1TB 2.5" hard drive. Let us not have too much expectation

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor,
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page