This model hasn't been officially announced yet, but the device already appears to be uPnP certified (certification date is Sep 7, 2010). So, the official information available so far is here:http://upnp.org/product/561
WD TV Live Hub Media Center is a high-definition network media player with a 2.5” HDD built-in and with Gig-Ethernet functionality that is designed to satisfy the needs of users who wish to have the freedom of moving their content via network, and also to enjoy content streamed from the internet. Furthermore, with the built-in content services and HDD, user can download premium content directly into the media center without going through a PC.||||With its build-in high definition user interface, the network media center allows user to quickly navigate and playback media content that is stored in its embedded HDD, USB mass storage devices, or Internet on to a television. With the networking support, user can now drag and drop content from a computer to the embedded HDD. Also, Internet content from service providers such as Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Live365, Facebook, and Flickr, etc. can be streamed to the end user. The network media center attaches to an entertainment center through a variety of audio/video interfaces and supports playback of all the major audio, image, and video file formats. It supports high-definition video playback up to 1080p through the HDMI video output
Looks like this is going to be one of the first media players with a GbE port. We will probably get to know further details soon.
Let us use this thread to discuss what can be expected from this player, your feedback for WD, and of course, how you would want it to be evaluated.
1. Google search yields a BestBuy link
(Seems to have been pulled down as of Oct 15, 5:12 PM PST)
2. Description for the CA $230 model:
Load up the high-capacity drive with all your media to create your own personal media jukebox. With just a few clicks, you can play your home movies, share vacation slideshows, and play your music on the big screen and sound system in your living room.
* Access popular Internet content from the comfort of your living room via wired network connection
* Full HD 1080p video playback makes this Hub the perfect partner for your compatible HDTV
* Use the programmable remote control to make your entertainment choices using animated navigation menus
* Play almost any type of media file; the WD TV Live Hub supports a wide variety of the most popular file formats including HD camcorder video formats (no need to spend time transcoding)
* Store all your media on the 1TB hard drive, and the Live Hub finds and categorizes it all and displays it in one easy-to-view menu system
* Copy, move or delete files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, your camcorder, or a camera to the Live Hub built-in drive using the on-screen menus
* Stream any file on the WD TV Live Hub media center to a WD TV Live Plus or WD TV Live media player or any DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc player, or game console
* Powerful enough to handle multiple streams so you can stream a movie in one room, while viewing photos on your TV upstairs
* Cool, quiet and ultra-compact design
* Supports a wireless network connection to your home network with an optional USB wireless adapter (sold separately)
* HDMI 1.4, composite video and component video output
* An optical audio output sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surround sound experience