post #451 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

You can flag movies as watched in CM (Personal Data or whatever it's called). I don't think the flag is set automatically by the Dune. In any case, it's not exposed in the interface, AFAIK. (Not to hijack the thread, but XBMC does both--automagically.)

I go back and forth between HTPCs and appliances like the Dune. PCs are so much more flexible and powerful, and can be made to do really cool things--if you've got the patience. I got fed up with DirectShow filter hell about a year-and-a-half ago and used the Dune pretty much full time. It just works. But 3-6 months ago, as the collection got harder to manage, I revisited XBMC, which can now use a central SQL database for all XBMC installations in the house. A huge benefit! And it doesn't slow down like CM. And Smart Playlists can access all metadata on-the-fly from the main screen, e.g., list all movies with John Wayne and a Russian soundtrack.

Lately, CM seems to have mind of its own. For example, I change local movie titles to match sort titles or add the years to the titles to distinguish versions, and CM will randomly revert them--just some, not all.

I found a way to segregate unwatched in Zappiti, but it's high maintenance.

Maybe I could get you to show me XBMC one day. We are close enough . My immediate concerns about it are it's playback engine. How close it gets to source direct, and how nicely it plays with my HTPC hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Well, last night I went to watch a freshly ripped movie "Due Date". Dune wouldn't play it. Says "loading", display goes to 00:00:00 and sits there. Gave up, switched to HTPC and played from there. Played instantly and without error. When the movies was over, the Dune was still hung. Had to power cycle it to clear. .

I sure wish Kalidescape didn't have their "vault" and proprietary storage. They could make a boatload from all the frustrated HTPC/Dune/Sage/etc users. Oh well...
post #453 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I found a way to segregate unwatched in Zappiti, but it's high maintenance.

Maybe I could get you to show me XBMC one day. We are close enough . My immediate concerns about it are it's playback engine. How close it gets to source direct, and how nicely it plays with my HTPC hardware.

Keep in mind right now you cannot bitstream HD Audio with XBMC, you need to instead use a 3rd party player (which comes with its own list of instabilities).

With Due Date was it a full rip or a main movie rip?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #454 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Keep in mind right now you cannot bitstream HD Audio with XBMC, you need to instead use a 3rd party player (which comes with its own list of instabilities).

With Due Date was it a full rip or a main movie rip?

Ahhh Was too good to be true

Due Date was a rip via MM drop-and-rip. I have MM set to produce iso, but AnyDVD is set to remove trailers. I launched via Zappiti on the Dune.
post #455 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ahhh Was too good to be true

Due Date was a rip via MM drop-and-rip. I have MM set to produce iso, but AnyDVD is set to remove trailers. I launched via Zappiti on the Dune.

Sounds like issues with BD Live most likely. I know the Dune folks mentioned they are looking to implement BD Lite which may help. Basically with BD Lite the Dune would just go and play the main movie without trying to access all the full disc features (thus avoiding your issue). I only rip the main movie though so I never have issues

Cheers,
Damian

post #456 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Maybe that's it. I do have AnyDVD set to disable it FWIW. My AnyDVD settings look like this:
LL
post #457 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

A little OT, but as it appears to be the casue of some of the playback issues I'm having, I went to the WHS server console (real console, not remote) and noticed the AnyDVD settings were back to the default. Not set to strip the junk. Not sure what causes them to get lost. MM services are runing as the local system account, I'm not sure if the AnyDVD settings are a per user setting or not either. I did find the setting different if I log on as a user or as administrator, so I'm assuming its a per user setting. Wonder how to set the settings and make them stick for local system account?
post #458 of 953 Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A little tip for those of you with a small, fast, SSD as your boot drive, but you want your my movies program AND data files to reside on a different drive.

Stop all My Movies services using task manager
move the my movies directory structure under c:\\ProgramData to the drive you want
create a symbolic link in the original location pointing to the new, example
in the c:\\ProgramData directory do the following
mklink /d "My Movies" "d:\\ProgramData\\My Movies"

The last step is to reinstall the hidden share for d:\\ProgramData\\My Movies\\FileStorage

The share name should be MyMoviesFileStorage$

This saved me nearly 1.8GB of storage on my SSD boot drive and countless reads/writes.
post #459 of 953 Old 06-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Great tip. Didn't know you could do a sim link in windows.
post #460 of 953 Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Great tip. Didn't know you could do a sim link in windows.
I think Microsoft calls em shortcuts.
post #461 of 953 Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule View Post
I think Microsoft calls em shortcuts.
A symbolic link is a pointer that works at the file-system level as opposed to a shortcut, which is a pointer designed to work within explorer.exe. Since a symbolic link is essentially grafted to the file system, it doesn't have a footprint, so to speak, whereas a shortcut is an actual file on the hard disk
post #462 of 953 Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I could get you to show me XBMC one day. We are close enough .

Sure. It's easy.

auto: If you watch a movie (not sure how much), XBMC will set the watched flag automatically.

manual: If you select a movie in any list and access the context menu*, you can set or clear Mark as Watched manually.

*keyboard: c; mouse: right-click; remote: whatever button you like

Quote:
My immediate concerns about it are it's playback engine. How close it gets to source direct, and how nicely it plays with my HTPC hardware.

Bitstreaming of compressed HD audio should be in the next release. (It already does DD, DTS and PCM.)

Video is another matter: so far XBMC does DXVA (and/or Crystal HD) and auto-adjusts framerate (and may control luma levels); the rest is up to your video driver.

Actually this concern has me currently revisiting DS filters, specifically LAV Splitter, LAV Filter and LAVCUVID. Until XBMC supports this stuff natively, I was thinking about using MPC-HC as the video player within XBMC. Sort of kludgy, I know. . . . but I did this before XBMC supported Blu-ray.

=================

Just so I'm not completely off-topic, does anyone know whether Dune might add Source Direct in a future firmware? It's the only major feature still lacking (as distinct from bugs).
DViCo managed to do it (sort of) in late firmware for the TViX M-6500A (8635), so it is possible on Sigma SoCs.
post #463 of 953 Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

I asked them at cedia and they said they were looking into it. But I got the distinct impression it was not high on any priority list. Also voted on their feature request thing but don't think it got a lot of attention there either.
post #464 of 953 Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 PM

ok so I'm a dunce.... Can't get anything to work.

Trying to get a Dune HD D1 to work with my movies.

Do I want to get a usb flash drive to store the index on? How do I format it correctly for the dune?

Once I do that how do I get the index to go on the dune? I have tried putting the flash drive that I have now in the computer that the mymovies collection manager is running on, tried accessing it across the network from my laptop..

no matter what I do when I go to try and configure the paths for the folders of movies it tells me that I have to directly hook the drive to the dune.

WHat the heck am I doing wrong?
post #465 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreb View Post

no matter what I do when I go to try and configure the paths for the folders of movies it tells me that I have to directly hook the drive to the dune.

WHat the heck am I doing wrong?

When you point MM to your movies, use the network path instead of a drive letter. Like //server/sharepath/movie/movie.iso instead of D:\\movie\\movie.iso
post #466 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

When you point MM to your movies, use the network path instead of a drive letter. Like //server/sharepath/movie/movie.iso instead of D:\\movie\\movie.iso

Now are you talking about when I rip the movies to the comupter or when I set up the meta-data for the dune?

When I try and configure the paths in the setup for the metadata it won't give me the option of anything other than directly having the share connected to the dune. From the instructions it looks like I should have a couple of radio button options that I don't have on the tab (no SMB or UPNP)
post #467 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now are you talking about when I rip the movies to the comupter or when I set up the meta-data for the dune?

When I try and configure the paths in the setup for the metadata it won't give me the option of anything other than directly having the share connected to the dune. From the instructions it looks like I should have a couple of radio button options that I don't have on the tab (no SMB or UPNP)

For each movie in MM, click the little disc button to bring up the list of discs. Then click something else (sorry, I don't have it in front of me right now) to tell MM where this movie is. There, you should use the network path.
post #468 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:

For each movie in MM, click the little disc button to bring up the list of discs. Then click something else (sorry, I don't have it in front of me right now) to tell MM where this movie is. There, you should use the network path.

oh shoot... that's going to take some time to correct. Already have 160+ movies ripped all using local structure.

is there an easier way?
post #469 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh shoot... that's going to take some time to correct. Already have 160+ movies ripped all using local structure.

is there an easier way?

Iirc when you update one of them, MM will ask if you want to update all of them.
post #470 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Iirc when you update one of them, MM will ask if you want to update all of them.

I wish that was the case. I must be doing something wrong becasue it is only letting me update one at a time then it has to save it and is going very slow.

Is there another spot to change it? I am going into each movie and clicking on the little disc in the center of the page that gives me the path to the movie.
post #471 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish that was the case. I must be doing something wrong becasue it is only letting me update one at a time then it has to save it and is going very slow.

Is there another spot to change it? I am going into each movie and clicking on the little disc in the center of the page that gives me the path to the movie.

Maybe if you moved all your movies to a different directory, then when you update one, MM will see that they've all moved and offer to update all of them.

I'm kinda guessing here but it's worth a shot. I don't know of a better way.
post #472 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM

I feel like an idiot.

So I got it to finally see the metadata and I can see a listing of my movies on the screen but...

it won't play them. Comes up with an error like it can't access the folder. I have zero passwords and no firewall at the moment trying to get this working. Have it using my account name which is a admin account.

ARGH

oh and I can't add the shortcut for my movies to the home screen. says something about can't create shortcut.
post #473 of 953 Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM

So the actual error message that i am getting is.

Failed to open URL. Then it list the whole network location of the movie.

Does this have anything to do with how my system is set up it no passwords?
post #474 of 953 Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I feel like an idiot.

So I got it to finally see the metadata and I can see a listing of my movies on the screen but...

it won't play them. Comes up with an error like it can't access the folder. I have zero passwords and no firewall at the moment trying to get this working. Have it using my account name which is a admin account.

ARGH

oh and I can't add the shortcut for my movies to the home screen. says something about can't create shortcut.

You need to have system storage and running a later fw in order to add shortcuts

Quote:

Sounds like your paths are incorrect, can you confirm exactly what they look like in Collection Management

Cheers,
Damian

post #475 of 953 Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

make sure that (assuming media and index are on the same smb server) they're both contained in the same share. i believe thats the error message you get when you attempt to access a second smb share from a single server.

post #476 of 953 Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

You need to have system storage and running a later fw in order to add shortcuts

Sounds like your paths are incorrect, can you confirm exactly what they look like in Collection Management

I'm not in front of my home computer at the moment. but if I remember correctly in collection managment the path looks something like \\\\desktop\\g\
ame of movie

the error that is showing on the dune has something to the effect of smb=Timbre:\\\\desktop\\g\
ame of movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post

make sure that (assuming media and index are on the same smb server) they're both contained in the same share. i believe thats the error message you get when you attempt to access a second smb share from a single server.

the media is on my desktop computer and the index is on a thumb drive in the dune. I suspect it has something to do with the login name and such but don't know why as I have no password requirements on the system
post #477 of 953 Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

the media is on my desktop computer and the index is on a thumb drive in the dune. I suspect it has something to do with the login name and such but don't know why as I have no password requirements on the system

ah, yea, if the index is local then what i said doesn't apply. oh well, it was worth a shot.

post #478 of 953 Old 06-20-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Is anyone having success with TV Shows on the Dune/My Movies. It was sort of working previously. I updated to the latest WHS pre release and noticed that no new tv shows were added to the Dune Index (and even for the tv shows that were already there no episodes were showing). So I decided to delete my My Movies index and rebuild, and now no tv shows at all.

Cheers,
Damian

post #479 of 953 Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 AM

Hello-
I have been using a Dune D1 for a few months now and it is great! I want to purchase a second one for our media room in our home, but had a few questions.
Presently, I am using My Movies and have my Index store on a USB stick inserted within the Dune unit. I am using Windows 7 to manage all of my DVD and Bluray rips with most stored on a RAID NAS setup. Is my only option to have the Index on my PC or can I add a second index to the new Dune? Is there anything I need to consider for either of these scenarios?

As well, I presently do not have a hard wire network run to the room where the new Dune will be located. Is anyone uing a Dune unit wirelessly and if so, how is the streaming? I can manage to run a line if needed, but was just wondering if anyone is using a Dune with a USB wireless adapter.

That is it for now and look forward to your insight.

Cheers.
post #480 of 953 Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraid View Post

Hello-
I have been using a Dune D1 for a few months now and it is great! I want to purchase a second one for our media room in our home, but had a few questions.
Presently, I am using My Movies and have my Index store on a USB stick inserted within the Dune unit. I am using Windows 7 to manage all of my DVD and Bluray rips with most stored on a RAID NAS setup. Is my only option to have the Index on my PC or can I add a second index to the new Dune? Is there anything I need to consider for either of these scenarios?

As well, I presently do not have a hard wire network run to the room where the new Dune will be located. Is anyone uing a Dune unit wirelessly and if so, how is the streaming? I can manage to run a line if needed, but was just wondering if anyone is using a Dune with a USB wireless adapter.

That is it for now and look forward to your insight.

Cheers.

I would think you could just copy the index from the one USB stick to a second USB stick. I keep my index stored on my server so both my Dunes can easily access that way.

As far as wireless, I would highly recommend just going wired and being done with

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page