Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

ok, let's go on here as this is the official topic wink.gif

1. normally to change a path, you just need to pick one file and change the path for this one, then MM will ask you if you want to change it for every files with the same path, so you don't need to go through all of them one by one and change it manually.
2. if you've got "storage_name" while your files are in your NAS, then the path are not correctly set up. Go to the dune configuration in MM, select your path (after you changed it to UNC of course. See #1 for that), it should be marked with the red cross, clikc "configure path" just under, select SMB or NFS for files in your NAS and fill in the fields for username and password. Once done the mark should be green. Run a full export.
3. remember that SMB can cause the double smb access bug if your files and index are on the same share. Solution : use a nfs shorcut on the dune for the index and smb for path files in MM, or simply export the index to a local drive attached to the dune and use whatever you want for you files.

Ok, per my previous post, I've been trying to follow your advice here. The problem I am finding is that I cannot for the life of me get MM to prompt me to change the path for all files on the same path. I *have* seen this once before, but I'm stumped on how to trigger it, and am not sure if it's user error or an MM bug. I've tried manually changing the path from E:\VIDEO\* to \\PANDORA\VIDEO\* to no effect. I've also tried browsing to select the file, but it retains the E:\ pointer. I've removed an entire show from MM and then readded it as an online series, and still have it using the direct drive.

Any suggestions on how to:

1. Get MM to prompt me to match the new UNC path?
or
2. Manually edit some files to force this?

Also, appreciate feedback if this is a bug I should report, or expected behavior. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
When you tried to change your path, you did it through the "network" part of windows explorer or trying to type it manually ?

Never had to do it, so I can't say exactly what triggers it...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

When you tried to change your path, you did it through the "network" part of windows explorer or trying to type it manually ?

Never had to do it, so I can't say exactly what triggers it...

So, seem to have mostly solved the problem and wanted to close out to share with folks.

You were correct, I was accidentally adding the files through the "drive" part of windows explorer, and not by scrolling down just a bit more and expanding the "network" part of the tree. If I add from there, the UNC path does come through. And even more importantly, when I rebuild the index, the file launches!

That said, I *still* cannot trigger MM to offer to update all of my TV show paths. So, it appears I will have to delete and re-add every series by hand to get this to work. If anyone knows if this is a bug, or if there's a way to force MM to sync to a path I'd appreciate it! But for now, it appears I'm on a decent glide path.

Thank you very much for all of your help!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post

That said, I *still* cannot trigger MM to offer to update all of my TV show paths. So, it appears I will have to delete and re-add every series by hand to get this to work. If anyone knows if this is a bug, or if there's a way to force MM to sync to a path I'd appreciate it! But for now, it appears I'm on a decent glide path.
!

It might offer to move them only if it cannot find them in the old location. Maybe rename the directory (or change the drive letter?) they are in and then re-add one of them?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i must be stupid or something. i can't figure out how to set anything up with my movies and my dune hd max.

i read the documentation, but it's confusing and seems outdated.

can someone give me the idiots explanation for setting this up? i got as far as having my movies scan a folder and read all my movies.

now what am i supposed to do?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch View Post

can someone give me the idiots explanation for setting this up? i got as far as having my movies scan a folder and read all my movies.

now what am i supposed to do?

Next set up the Path Configuration.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quick Question:

I'm using Zappiti/yaDIS on my Dune Smart D1 right now and having a lot of problems so I'm looking at MyMovies as an alternate. I basically have one PC where the media is stored which is networked with my Dune and MyMovies will only be running on the Dune (Not an htpc or something). I'm a little confused whether or not MyMovies is "free". I don't need any fancy added features --- just the barebones which allows me to see my Media with posters & movie details. So do I have to pay anything to get these basic features? What am I missing without purchasing?

Thanks.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Mymovies is free but with some paying options. The only one you need would be to have the fanart for dune which cost 500 points for 720p and 1200 for 1080p. You can buy points or receive points when contributing data to their movie database (check their website to know more about that).

FYI I would only recommend MM if you want to use the iPad app, the dune Ui is similar to zappiti (yadis is much better IMO) but with some missing functionalities in the tv series part (no access to tv series, it's mixed with movies) as well as a very ugly default look and feel (you can tweak it bu it's a bit complicated).

What are you problems with yadis/zappiti ? I think you should try to solve it.

But of course you can still test MM, even without the fanarts, just to give you an idea.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Mymovies is free but with some paying options. The only one you need would be to have the fanart for dune which cost 500 points for 720p and 1200 for 1080p. You can buy points or receive points when contributing data to their movie database (check their website to know more about that).

FYI I would only recommend MM if you want to use the iPad app, the dune Ui is similar to zappiti (yadis is much better IMO) but with some missing functionalities in the tv series part (no access to tv series, it's mixed with movies) as well as a very ugly default look and feel (you can tweak it bu it's a bit complicated).

What are you problems with yadis/zappiti ? I think you should try to solve it.

But of course you can still test MM, even without the fanarts, just to give you an idea.

Eric,

Thanks for the detailed response; I appreciate it.

Not having fanart would be a buzzkill, so I'm not sure about that - also the tv series being mixed in with the movies. Quite honestly my interest in MyMovies has only been sparked by a recent turn of events with Zappiti/yaDIS on my Dune and my inability to solve them. I was actually quite happy with either.

This may be outside the bounds of this particular thread but let me give you the info on my issues, and perhaps you can help (we'll need to possibly take it out of this thread).

Zappiti
I've had this since the day I bought my Dune Smart D1 a couple years ago. I have PC which holds all the media (MKV, M2TS, BD ISO, DVD ISO, Movies & TV Shows). Dune is networked with the PC and streams media off of it. Everything had been running smooth flawlessly. Then one day, I updated Zappiti to the latest version - got the License and everything in place -- and something bizarre started happening after that. Zappiti will play some videos but not all!! Nothing happens when you click on the detail page for those videos it choose not to play. I have not been able to determine any pattern whatsoever for this. These are videos that Zappiti USED to play just fine before the updates. Dune Smart D1 via it's Network Browser still plays these videos. And these are videos in the SAME folder as other videos Zappiti continues to play. Same extensions, same codecs, same everything -- but just RANDOMLY, Zappiti will play some movies and not others. It's truly baffling!! I have no idea how to resolve this. I have tried uninstalling Zappiti completely - Index, Program and all. But the issue persists.

yaDIS
There's a couple of issues. It won't play any of my BD ISO's. It plays all videos just fine except my BD ISO's. Nothing happens when I try to play a BD ISO. Secondly, there's some image files or text files that appear right where the movies or tv shows do -- I have never been able to get rid of them. My only other complaint is with TV Series -- when scraping and all, I don't have any way of going into the Seasons and seeing individual episodes to configure. They shpow up fine on Dune, but I can't see any way of configuring them in the Editor in the software.

Personally I still prefer Zappiti --- if only I could get it to play all the videos again like it used to. I just don't know what's wrong.

Thanks.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Old 05-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm using MM and a pair of Dune D1's. My indexes are stored on the Dunes. All has been working fine. Today I was filling with a TV series title's files, updated my index and went to check it on Dune #2. When attempting accessing ay video, any title, I get an error:

failed to open URL: SMB://SERVER/Movies/TitleFolder/etc.

If I attempt to access the same movie via the Dune's network browser, I get to it fine. I navigate to it, press enter, I get a brief "connecting" message, then the video.

Not sure what to check or how to fix. Suggestions to troubleshoot/fix?

EDIT: Note that there is no userID and password in the URL. I think it used to be, definitely not now. Can't figure out where to set it. Running current beta FW.

EDIT2: I got the userid and password into the URL by editing it in colleciton management options (and verified it was correct), then completely rebuilidng the index. Still no go. Get the same error:
failed to open URL: SMB://myusername:mypasswd@SERVER/Movies/TitleFolder/etc.

frown.gif
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Update:

I wiped the MyMovies folders off of both Dunes, wiped it off it's default folder on the server, rebuilt the index, copied to both dunes. Dune #2 still will not play a movie from inside MM, gives the failed SMB URL error. Dune #1, with the same index loaded, accesses and plays media from the MyMovies interface without issue.

By sleeping a title's metadata screen/Popup Menu/Information, I see the URLs are the same on both Dunes.

I tried a cold reboot of Dune #2, still won't open the SMB URL in MM. It will open the media from the network browser.

I'm stuck.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I tried a cold reboot of Dune #2, still won't open the SMB URL in MM. It will open the media from the network browser.

I'm stuck.

If you're comfortable hacking around, you could probably find more detailed error messages in the log directory (/var/log/run? /tmp/log/run? something like that, I forget).
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Thanks very much Scott. Wouldn't have minded poking in there, but I seem to have fixed it [knocking on wood]

When all else had failed and everything was pointing to the particular dune, I reloaded the older firmware and then it worked. Reverted back to the latest beta, and it still works. So, fixed, for now.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Curious if anyone is using the latest Dune units (no BD menu support) with My Movies? Are they working pretty well together. Most importantly is the My Movies ipad app with the newer Dune devices.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
Old 08-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am using Dune with MyMovies.

I want to create the best browsing experience given the lack of search.

in the /persistfs/main_screen_items I created the following folders:

1. TV/
2. Kids/
3. Films/
4. Home Movies/
5. Photos/
6. Other TV/
7. Browse/
8. Index/

Then for each folder (and sub folders where appropriate), the dune_folder.txt either links to:
i) network folder that contains the stated resource
ii) appropriate place in MyMovies Index
iii) the dune_folder.txt is not a media url, the folder contains sub folders

so for example:

TV just links to media_url = ../8. Index/Categories/TV/ (example of ii)

Whereas Kids contains two folders "Kids TV" and "Kids Movies" (example of iii)

and Home Movies is a link to the NAS NFS share that contains our home movies.
media_url = nfs-udp://192.168.1.206:/volume1/video/4. Home Movies (example of i)

So I end up with this, which is perfect for me.

1. TV/
2. Kids/Movies
2. Kids/TV
3. Films/
4. Home Movies/
5. Photos/
6. Other TV/Documentary
6. Other TV/Music
6. Other TV/Stand-Up
6. Other TV/Sport
7. Browse/NFS Share 1
7. Browse/NFS Share 2
7. Browse/NFS Share 3
8. Index/MyMovies Index
8. Index/All Titles/
8. Index/Alphabetical/
8. Index/Categories/
8. Index/Genres/
8. Index/Running Time/

The 7. Browser folders are for when I want to access files where the MyMovies index is not yet updated, or the disc location was not entered etc...

One problem I have is that if I create this in the /persistfs/main_screen_items folder, it seems to list all shared folders before network shares, and therefore they are in the wrong order.

So I created a folder "Media" and put them all in there. Then I set Media to be auto opened on power up.

If I want to go to USB shares or play a disc, I need to go back to home page using stop button.

I now want to set up rsync from my NAS to copy the Index over, however when I run
rsync rsync://root@192.168.1.7/ from my NAS
i get a new line, no returned values.

I have enabled rsync on the Dune as per ScottJ and so there is no error returned.

On about page 25 of this posting, I notice that it says rsync test will return available storage, however of course not the system storage as the Dune cannot browse that.

That's not correct, as I am able to browse the system storage, and I don't really want to put this in another new partition.

Any ideas how I can rsync from my NAS to the system storage? then I think I will have the whole thing in pretty good and family friendly shape.

Cheers

Dave
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering getting a Dune in the next few months. Simple question: Does MyMovies require each movie to be in an individual folder? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post

I'm considering getting a Dune in the next few months. Simple question: Does MyMovies require each movie to be in an individual folder? Thanks!

Last time I checked, yes.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcndave View Post

I now want to set up rsync from my NAS to copy the Index over, however when I run
rsync rsync://root@192.168.1.7/ from my NAS
i get a new line, no returned values.

I have enabled rsync on the Dune as per ScottJ and so there is no error returned.

On about page 25 of this posting, I notice that it says rsync test will return available storage, however of course not the system storage as the Dune cannot browse that.

That's not correct, as I am able to browse the system storage, and I don't really want to put this in another new partition.

Any ideas how I can rsync from my NAS to the system storage? then I think I will have the whole thing in pretty good and family friendly shape.

Your approach is, shall I say, unique. This isn't really how main_screen_items was intended to be used, though evidently it works.

My rsync makes available the same storage partitions that the Dune's built-in FTP server does. That doesn't include any of system storage.

It would take some hacks to the rsync source code to make part of system storage show up. And that's more trouble than it's worth, when you could simply partition that device into one partition for system storage and another for this index. Then it would work like any other attached storage and show up in rsync.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:39 PM

ok, can i create a system partition to store my index without changing the storage i have now? (assuming i just add an SSD).

I am not sure that my requirements are so unique.

you can add favourites to the home page, however they are not ordered correctly.

If you only add the index, and auto open it on boot, then you can't get to certain things as fast as you want. Eg having kids, then movies / tv, or the fact that home photos and home camcorder movies are not included in mymovies are all factors.

my most common things are tv, kids tv, kids movies, movies, home movies, photos, sport, documentaries - in that order. and for movies i want all / alphabetical / genre / running time...

but then i also want to group things so that i have only 8 icons on home page, and i want to be able to folder browse all network drives....

It seems all quite sensible to me / and swmbo..... if home page favourites and network shares were all sorted ok, instead of being grouped, then it would be no problem.

anyway, if i can add the ssd with index, so that i can do the rsync, that would be great.

I guess i am too used to rsync on linux boxes where you can access whatever you have the privilege to access...
Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok, can i create a system partition to store my index without changing the storage i have now? (assuming i just add an SSD).

I am not sure that my requirements are so unique.

you can add favourites to the home page, however they are not ordered correctly.

It's not your requirements that are unique, it's your approach of using system storage (via main_screen_items) to do it. An index like this should go on a normal data partition (not system storage) and yes an SSD would work fine for that. The smallest, cheapest one you can find.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

It's not your requirements that are unique, it's your approach of using system storage (via main_screen_items) to do it. An index like this should go on a normal data partition (not system storage) and yes an SSD would work fine for that. The smallest, cheapest one you can find.

Ah, i see, I thought you meant my requirements ;-)

I have a spare 512 Crucial M4 6Gb/s sitting around, so I was ready to go, my question was really whether I would need to reinstall everything from scratch, or if, like a PC, I can just bang it in and it appears...

Actually another thought is that my system storage is on an SD card plugged into a USB adaptor at the back. Slow and liable to getting knocked out. Is there anyway to "move" my system storage so that I don't have to set everything up again?

Many thanks - really helpful stuff here.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, i see, I thought you meant my requirements ;-)

I have a spare 512 Crucial M4 6Gb/s sitting around, so I was ready to go, my question was really whether I would need to reinstall everything from scratch, or if, like a PC, I can just bang it in and it appears...

Actually another thought is that my system storage is on an SD card plugged into a USB adaptor at the back. Slow and liable to getting knocked out. Is there anyway to "move" my system storage so that I don't have to set everything up again?

Many thanks - really helpful stuff here.

Dave

Erasing your system storage is not usually a big deal. Setup parameters and such are stored internally. The only thing on system storage is favorites and blu-ray local storage. Maybe a few more things, I forget. Except for command-line hackery there is no way to migrate system storage to another partition.

If you want to hack it, just make a partition and move everything from system storage to the new partition. Power down, pull out the old system storage device, and power on. I have never tried it but I think it should work.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 AM

Ok, managed to get it done, here is what I did.

I took a copy of /persistfs/main_screen_items and dune_skin to my NAS
I made sure I had my copy of my skin zip file

I removed the USB storage (so I can always add it back to rollback if anything goes wrong)
I then attached the SSD and used dune_service_af_make_sstorage_and_ext3_on_hdd.dsf to partition and format the SSD.

This then rebooted and I had lost the skin, however settings like facebook and chess being removed from front page were still in force.

I then mounted a NAS share, so i have optical,hdd,share on homepage.
I ran my skin zip - which did most stuff, except the default page layouts (which I have set to lists - no right bar) had all reverted for some reason.

There was no main_screen_items as this is created when needed, however I created a folder "media" on the SSD, copied my backup of main screen items into there, set media to "open on power up" and sorted.

So it was actually pretty easy - for those who want to see if they can get it right before investing in SSD.

Now the covert art pages render super fast, like, really instant - it's great.

Thanks again for your help, can i suggest you add the "how to test your dune rsync is repsonding (rsync rsync://root@192.168.1.7/) to your wiki on setting up rsync? I had to come back here to remember what it was.

Cheers, Dave