*Official* MyMovies For Dune Thread - Page 33 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #961 of 983 Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I have been very happy with 10Muse. Yes, you need an iPad but its so much better than anything else.
Roger. Yeah, I have a wand remote system and on-screen navigation 55 titles per page. Still don't like iPad controls. Fortunately I don't have any issues with MM and my Dune performance wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 983 Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Roger. Yeah, I have a wand remote system and on-screen navigation 55 titles per page. Still don't like iPad controls. Fortunately I don't have any issues with MM and my Dune performance wise.
I didn't have performance issues with the Dune with MM... it was the collection manager that has grown to be so bloated it is completely unmanageable. It literally takes 20-minutes to load. No joke. And that's on a i7-4700 system with 16GB RAM.
post #963 of 983 Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
I didn't have performance issues with the Dune with MM... it was the collection manager that has grown to be so bloated it is completely unmanageable. It literally takes 20-minutes to load. No joke. And that's on a i7-4700 system with 16GB RAM.
Wow, long time. I couldn't stand that. 12 sec for my more modest collection. I'm still running v4 tough.
post #964 of 983 Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have left 1200 titles. Load times seems fine with my Dune. 10-15. seconds at most. MKV titles even faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #965 of 983 Old 02-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Hes' talking about how long it takes Collection Manager to load. Not the Dune. I think.
post #966 of 983 Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that's been pretty fast too. No complaint either way

post #967 of 983 Old 02-23-2015, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
I have left 1200 titles. Load times seems fine with my Dune. 10-15. seconds at most. MKV titles even faster

From the last 6 or so posts, I don't think people understand what's being said here.

MM + Dune means that when you use the Dune player, you are NOT running MM software in any way. MM creates a file structure, that you then place on the Dune, for the Dune to read. Therefore there is no reference to MM performance when using Dune.

However MM collection manager itself becomes slower with lots of titles.

I can also see how MM server would need a good amount of hardware, and therefore cooling, and therefore noise, and would not run as a living room streamer.

A MM client might be able to run on a lower spec machine in your living room, never tried, as Kodi/XBMC is really good.
post #968 of 983 Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcndave View Post
From the last 6 or so posts, I don't think people understand what's being said here.

MM + Dune means that when you use the Dune player, you are NOT running MM software in any way. MM creates a file structure, that you then place on the Dune, for the Dune to read. Therefore there is no reference to MM performance when using Dune.

However MM collection manager itself becomes slower with lots of titles.

I can also see how MM server would need a good amount of hardware, and therefore cooling, and therefore noise, and would not run as a living room streamer.

A MM client might be able to run on a lower spec machine in your living room, never tried, as Kodi/XBMC is really good.
Well, depending on your use case. For me, I use MM for IOS which allows be to browse, select titles and play directly to the Dune. Not much different than having a front end on your PC which is basically giving you a front end presentation to view your collection. Playback is handled third party.

Last edited by adidino; 02-23-2015 at 05:12 AM.
post #969 of 983 Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I have been very happy with 10Muse. Yes, you need an iPad but its so much better than anything else.
And you can still use the Dune export feature if you don't want to use an iPad, although I believe 10Muse is no longer developing that function. I set up a Dune for my Dad and I use the 10Muse Dune export or his jukebox.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #970 of 983 Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

10muse looks interesting. Can you change views or is it fixed? Tiled view of your collection would be nice to have.
post #971 of 983 Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 27
After being invested in MM for about 6 years, it's hard to jump ship. The collection management is a big laggy at times. But only when I'm searching for cover art. @dbone , the cover art you posted on your site (zappiti) looks nice. I use those same folder icons with my wdtv. Of course they are just folder.jpgs stored in the root of my network shares.

Right now when I want to browse my collection, I take out the iPad MM app and then I can sort, filer (offline/online), catagory, etc. Then fire up my wdtv to play the movie. Looking forward to having this functionality on the Dune and not having to whip out the iPad.
post #972 of 983 Old 02-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

wow. 10muse looks pretty sick! I LOVE that trailer fetching feature! It doesn't work like MM sql server? Man, I wish I didn't just entirely redo my MM setup!
post #973 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
10muse looks interesting. Can you change views or is it fixed? Tiled view of your collection would be nice to have.
According to the update on mediaserver.net, yes, there is a "movie wall" view.
post #974 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

With Zappiti and 10muse, Is it fairly automatic? Right now with MM, I rip the movie to the folder, MM automatically picks up the movie, assigns the metadata. When I launch the wdtv player it displays the new movie, since it scans the mapped network drive. I would imagine this would work similarly with my dune that is en route, at least I hope so. But now I'm looking at zappiti/10muse.
post #975 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If you are using the export feature you get a fixed Movie Wall view. As I mentioned, the developers don't really maintain the export jukebox anymore. It still works perfectly fine for my Dad's needs, just not something to use if you had a lot of changes to request. Their focus is really solely on the iPad app which has very little interest for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
With Zappiti and 10muse, Is it fairly automatic? Right now with MM, I rip the movie to the folder, MM automatically picks up the movie, assigns the metadata. When I launch the wdtv player it displays the new movie, since it scans the mapped network drive. I would imagine this would work similarly with my dune that is en route, at least I hope so. But now I'm looking at zappiti/10muse.
Yes and no. This is where it will get a little confusing:

10Muse - you must update on your PC manually and export (to dropbox if using your iPad or network if using the Dune jukebox mode).

Zappiti - I think newer versions of Zappiti might update automatically (they have server/cloud version that I haven't had a chance to test much), but for the purpose of the Dune Smarts you need to update manually on your PC. This is how I do it, and for me it works easily so I am fine with. This also allows me to update as necessary. With MyMovies for the Dune, I believe you can set it up to automatically export your jukebox on a certain schedule. The problem with that, if you add new content to your server you will have to wait until the schedule comes up for everything to update, otherwise you still need to update manually.

Cheers,
Damian

post #976 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
If you are using the export feature you get a fixed Movie Wall view. As I mentioned, the developers don't really maintain the export jukebox anymore. It still works perfectly fine for my Dad's needs, just not something to use if you had a lot of changes to request. Their focus is really solely on the iPad app which has very little interest for me.

Yes and no. This is where it will get a little confusing:

10Muse - you must update on your PC manually and export (to dropbox if using your iPad or network if using the Dune jukebox mode).

Zappiti - I think newer versions of Zappiti might update automatically (they have server/cloud version that I haven't had a chance to test much), but for the purpose of the Dune Smarts you need to update manually on your PC. This is how I do it, and for me it works easily so I am fine with. This also allows me to update as necessary. With MyMovies for the Dune, I believe you can set it up to automatically export your jukebox on a certain schedule. The problem with that, if you add new content to your server you will have to wait until the schedule comes up for everything to update, otherwise you still need to update manually.
Thanks dbone. So, let's stick with MM for now. Instead of the Dune connecting to my network shares and seeing the content available, it seems like it doesn't fetch anything. It just looks at the index file sent to it by MM. If MM doesn't send the updated file (manually or scheduled) then I won't see the new movies.

Does this sound correct? I apologize if I am repeating myself, I have to change the way I have been accustomed to doing thing with the WDTV.
post #977 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks dbone. So, let's stick with MM for now. Instead of the Dune connecting to my network shares and seeing the content available, it seems like it doesn't fetch anything. It just looks at the index file sent to it by MM. If MM doesn't send the updated file (manually or scheduled) then I won't see the new movies.

Does this sound correct? I apologize if I am repeating myself, I have to change the way I have been accustomed to doing thing with the WDTV.
Yes, that is what I meant when I referred to the jukeboxes as static. All the Dune is doing is displaying images generated by the jukebox program. If you add a new movie to your Network, it won't appear on the Dune via MM until MyMovies gets updated (whether manually or automatically based on some predefined schedule).

Cheers,
Damian

post #978 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Yes, that is what I meant when I referred to the jukeboxes as static. All the Dune is doing is displaying images generated by the jukebox program. If you add a new movie to your Network, it won't appear on the Dune via MM until MyMovies gets updated (whether manually or automatically based on some predefined schedule).
I gotcha now. thanks! And yet another question. You wrote in your dune review about forced subs:

-mkv w/ forced subtitles – the Smart D1 does not respect the forced subtitle flag (FAIL)
-Forced Subtitles in a BluRay Structure – played without issue (PASS)

Am I reading this correctly? the dune doesn't respect the forced subs flag (only for mkv files?)
It will for BR structure, meaning full disc, main movie, ISO, BDMV?

I know I got a lot of questions.
post #979 of 983 Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I gotcha now. thanks! And yet another question. You wrote in your dune review about forced subs:

-mkv w/ forced subtitles – the Smart D1 does not respect the forced subtitle flag (FAIL)
-Forced Subtitles in a BluRay Structure – played without issue (PASS)

Am I reading this correctly? the dune doesn't respect the forced subs flag (only for mkv files?)
It will for BR structure, meaning full disc, main movie, ISO, BDMV?

I know I got a lot of questions.
The Dunes don't support forced subs natively in mkv. However, a user (ScottJ here) created a patch that makes this work. So to answer your question, the Dune Smart supports forced subs in BR structure natively and mkv with the patch.

I will give you a pas on all the questions since you are a Long Islander

Cheers,
Damian

post #980 of 983 Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Is 10muse free if I don't want to use the iPad app? I can't seem to find this on their site.
post #981 of 983 Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is 10muse free if I don't want to use the iPad app? I can't seem to find this on their site.
http://www.10muse.net/downloads.html

Cheers,
Damian

post #982 of 983 Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

yes, I know the exe is free but I remember reading that you would need a licsence. or it might be limited to just one view or something. Maybe that was Zappiti. I'll try it out anyway.
post #983 of 983 Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
yes, I know the exe is free but I remember reading that you would need a licsence. or it might be limited to just one view or something. Maybe that was Zappiti. I'll try it out anyway.
You have to pay for the iPad app. The dune jukebox is free.
johnBlanker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page