Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Oh boy. Does this have the samba bug that plagues other boxes? The one where MS Live Essentials breaks Samba clients?

Does this issue have a fix? Can someone provide link or help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoneternal View Post

Eli quick question. Every file I play locally has subtitles enabled by default. This poses a problem as I have to go into the menu and uncheck "Enable Subtitles" every time I play the movie to stop it from displaying the caption. I noticed that with this option disabled the forced subs still work in movies like Iron Man 2 (Beginning of Movie when Ivan and father talk for reference), but when I play The Karate Kid (17 mins in when the kids are fighting on the play ground) and the kids are speaking chinese the forced subs do not work unless I reenable the subtitles. I tested both movies as MKV and M2TS with forced subs built in. The ironic thing is that the M2TS files of these two movies play fine with forced subs on my PC with Boxee App, but on the Boxee Box the forced subs are non existent on the the Karate Kid.

Are subtitles suppose to be forced regardless if the the "Enable Subtitles" option is active?

Another issue I found is when selecting subtitles the system selects the last one first. For instance, it will default to 3/3 instead of 1/3 subtitles.

I would like to request that the "Enable Subtitles" option be a global option that cascades to all files so I do not have to keep disabling it everytime I try to play a file.

Also, I am sure a lot of people would agree, but I would love to see my local movie files underneath the movie header first, instead of having to dig down an additional level to get to them.

Another suggestion would be to allow users to select which screen they would like displayed first when first turning on the Boxee. Like instead of the Home screen being default I may want my movies to be the default home screen.

you do realize that the forced subtitles in iron man 2 are actually burnt into the video.
post #363 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

I'm assuming this Avatar MKV is from a Blu-ray source. Can you confirm that the forced subtitles not only displayed correctly, but also disappeared in a timely manner? On XBMC, there is (was?) a bug where the subtitles stayed on the screen too long.

Currently the Boxee Box will play any subtitle automatically which is probably why he says it is working.

I have tested with numerous titles both MKV and ISO and subtitles always come on automatically forced or otherwise. We need an option that says "default subtitles not on" for all titles.
post #364 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Currently the Boxee Box will play any subtitle automatically which is probably why he says it is working.

I have tested with numerous titles both MKV and ISO and subtitles always come on automatically forced or otherwise. We need an option that says "default subtitles not on" for all titles.

yet another option from XBMC they decided to remove.

I can see removing it but leaving it as the default is weird. I can't think of any device I have bought in the last 20 years that defaults to subtitles being on.

Sean
post #365 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Boxflop? At least when it comes to local playback

and maybe in the near fututre for online content the bloxee box
post #366 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Anybody had any luck getting any changes made in the Identify section to stick? Dawn of the Dead scrapes as the 2004 version. When I go to identify and select the 1978 version then click done, it still shows up as the 2004 version.

post #367 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Anybody had any luck getting any changes made in the Identify section to stick? Dawn of the Dead scrapes as the 2004 version. When I go to identify and select the 1978 version then click done, it still shows up as the 2004 version.

I have not seen that issue but I have a number of files that fail to show up in the library even after rescanning.
post #368 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 PM

I'm initially impressed with the UI and ease of setup. This box almost hits the mark at release. So close.

Here are issues I've encountered thus far:

1. (Defaults) Subs are always on at start - Have to manually disable.

2. (Performance) Video buffering every few minutes - I've tested 3x .m2ts videos and all suffer from roughly the same frequency of buffering. Connected (wired) to a Synology 1010+ in a raid-5 configuration through a Gb 'prosumer' grade switch. There's plenty of throughput to spare. First thought it was related to background scraping, but that has completed and the problem persists. See MediaInfo dump, below, for more detail regarding one of the buffering videos.

3. (UI) Poor layout of local videos, buried.

4. (Performance) Slow loading of thumbnails - I believe they are stored locally? The load times are unacceptable.

5. (UI) Missing alpha index/shortcut for large movie list - Have to scroll down list of 500+ videos to find what I want.

Good product with lots of potential!

MediaInfo output for bolt.m2ts

General
ID/String : 1
CompleteName : \\\\ds1010\\video\\movies\\bolt\\Bolt.M2TS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
FileSize/String : 18.1 GiB
Duration/String : 1h 36mn
OverallBitRate/String : 26.9 Mbps
OverallBitRate_Maximum/String : 35.5 Mbps
Video
ID/String : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : High@L4.1
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frames
CodecID : 27
BitRate_Mode/String : Variable
BitRate/String : 24.3 Mbps
BitRate_Maximum/String : 34.0 Mbps
Width/String : 1 920 pixels
Height/String : 1 080 pixels
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9
FrameRate/String : 23.976 fps
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.490
StreamSize/String : 16.4 GiB (90%)
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
Audio
ID/String : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format_Profile : ES
CodecID : 130
BitRate_Mode/String : Constant
BitRate/String : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 6 channels
ChannelPositions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 24 bits
StreamSize/String : 1.02 GiB (6%)
Language/String : English
Text
ID/String : 4608 (0x1200)
Format : PGS
CodecID : 144
Language/String : English
post #369 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Does the filename include the year? Dawn.of.the.Dead.1978 -- that often sorts out duplicate title types of situations.
post #370 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM

There's a lot of gloom and doom in this thread.

So I just figured I'd come in and say that I am loving my Boxee. It's replacing a WD TV Live and it blows that thing out of the water. I watched a 1080p video (.mkv) over my network with ZERO issues. All my media was identified without any hesitation. Granted, I've titled the files exactly how Boxee recommends.

My only complaint would be the subtitles thing that people are referencing. I would like to be able to always have them turned off. Why would they assume people would want subtitles more than not?

I don't mind the new interface. I didn't use the beta a whole lot so the change doesn't bug me.

Anyways, to any lurkers, I am not having any problems and I am loving my boxee!
post #371 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

yet another option from XBMC they decided to remove.

I can see removing it but leaving it as the default is weird. I can't think of any device I have bought in the last 20 years that defaults to subtitles being on.

Sean

Please just go away. Your XBMC comments are becoming extremely tiresome. If you have a handful of HTPC's, then go use those and leave the rest of us alone. Your constant trolling of this thread is annoying, unnecessary, and you are adding nothing to this discussion. THIS IS NOT XBMC. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT.
post #372 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Subtitles are on by default, you can turn them off by going to settings in the top left from the home screen and it's under video. At work now so I can't remember the exact menu, but the settings while viewing a movie will only change that movie.
post #373 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
I am still testing, but have played about 30 mins of each of the followings:
1-43GB blu ray iso
6-30-36GB bly ray m2ts files
4-mkv (10-22GB) files

All with no stuttering from my WHS over a Dlink green switch. The only time the cpu slows down is when playing high bit rate vids and scraping.

I plan to watch several large files in full length over the weekend. I believe that boxee will have several firmware revisions......Seems Eli and the team are hard at work!! Thanks boxee team
post #374 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am experiencing periodic audio mute of dts-ma being bitstreamed to my avr. It lasts only a fraction of a second but occurs at a certain interval so definitely appears to be a bug.
post #375 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post

My only complaint would be the subtitles thing that people are referencing. I would like to be able to always have them turned off. Why would they assume people would want subtitles more than not?

Because that's how most of the world wants it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs25 View Post

Subtitles are on by default, you can turn them off by going to settings in the top left from the home screen and it's under video. At work now so I can't remember the exact menu, but the settings while viewing a movie will only change that movie.

So you are saying it already has this ability, people just haven't figured it out? The trick is to change the setting when no movie is running?

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #376 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

If this holds true then its much like the WDTV when it got a subtitle fix. The subs were on by default, but you could turn the auto subs off and just select the one you wanted while the movie was playing.
post #377 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM

shftup, I'm glad to hear you're having no stuttering/buffering issues. Would you mind posting a MediaInfo dump for one of your .m2ts files to compare?

Thanks
post #378 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

yep

Last questions: who beta tested the box version of v1.0? How many people did so? How long was it tested?
post #379 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh. How the hell do you share files? Keeps asking for stupid username and password. How can something so simple be such a chore? God damn.
post #380 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

If this holds true then its much like the WDTV when it got a subtitle fix. The subs were on by default, but you could turn the auto subs off and just select the one you wanted while the movie was playing.

It appears that is the way it works. Once I disabled subtitles they were off with the exception of the forced titles in Avatar. My daughter was watching Toy Story with no subtitles when I left for work. It was the same when I originally downloaded the beta some months ago.
post #381 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2guy View Post

shftup, I'm glad to hear you're having no stuttering/buffering issues. Would you mind posting a MediaInfo dump for one of your .m2ts files to compare?

Thanks

iron man 2
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 20.9 GiB
Duration : 2h 4mn
Overall bit rate : 24.0 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : VC-1
Format profile : AP@L3
Codec ID : 234
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

Audio #1
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format profile : MA
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 134
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits

Audio #2
ID : 4353 (0x1101)
Format profile : MA
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 134
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits

Text #1
ID : 4608 (0x1200)
Codec ID : 144

Text #2
ID : 4609 (0x1201)
Codec ID : 144
post #382 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemory View Post

Hi jmpage2,

Comments:

- I believe forced PGS is working. Can you verify this again please?
- BD ISO (when working ) does offer the playlist choice. Just use the browse button on the right, and you can select the playlist you want or browse the files. If you don't select anything then we will play the longest one.
- Does anyone experience DVD ISO stuttering? Please let me know.
- As far as I remember, I never said we will have full BD menus. Was it mentioned anywhere?

Eli.

Forced is not working, I have verified this with several MKVs that include both a forced and non forced track (Kill Bill) as well as an MKV that only contains a forced sub track (Iron Man 1).

In all cases if I turn off the normal subtitle feature then forced subs do not play automatically.

The desired behavior is that subs are normally disabled for titles unless the user enables the subs for a particular title... with the exception of subtitles marked forced which get shown automatically.

Also I have observed a serious crash bug with THD, and I also get intermittent audio dropout of DTS-MA bitstream.

Please let us know what the plan is. I have friends who have me evaluating for them and at this point I can't recommend Boxee since it will not play their local BD rips.

Thanks.
post #383 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM

I have very mixed feelings about the boxee box so far.....

1. Interface is good at face value...untill you want to get to your local files.
They need an icon for Local Movies - Online Movies. Local TV Shows - Online TV Shows. music and photos.

2. Old beta interface was much better. Slow at loading covers.

3. Remote is the best and the worst. I can't count on my hand how many times i used it upside down. It feels the same.

4.Video quality is ok. C-200's picture just looks better. If i had a gun to my head i would keep the c-200 no question about it right now. Boxee box will go the the bedroom for now. But give it a couple of months and i think it could be great.
post #384 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Last questions: who beta tested the box version of v1.0? How many people did so? How long was it tested?

I don't think anyone here will be able to give you that info. Even if a beta tester was here they may not even have the full information.

Also no matter how much beta.testing was done once it gets unleased there will almost always be issues as kits just impossible to test the many different.files, setups, ect that are out there in the wild.

Unlike other companies/players at least Boxee listens to its customers/fans and implements what it can. Give it some time and they'll work out the kinks soon enough.
post #385 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Sounds like my first impressions are similar to everyone else:

My TrueHD test video doesn't stream TrueHD, but DTS MA works fine.

Indexing, scanning, and identifying is *slow*. There's no way you'd want to have to go through this every time you turn the box on. Full power down when not in use to conserve energy is just not an option until this data is stored locally. This is particularly true since Boxee chokes on higher bitrate movies while scanning.

I've found the operation of the "Back" button extremely frustrating. Sometimes it goes back to your last page... sometimes it brings up the drop-down menu... and it will never take you back to the home screen even if that was your last page. For example, move around the pages of the weather app, then try to get back to your Home screen. Have fun with that.

I hate that Movies go to only online movies, while local movies (and music/photos for that matter) are hidden under Files. I'd like to put Music, Photos, and Local Movies up on the home screen, and I'd readily trade away streamed movies to get it. Maybe that'll change if it integrates with Netflix/Vudu, but for now having Movies on the home screen is a waste.

I won't go into the positives because they've been covered in depth. I haven't had any of the file format issues you guys have, it's done quite well. I'm overall happy, but there's a huge amount of room for improvement, especially with the UI. I miss the beta UI.
post #386 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

Because that's how most of the world wants it?

So you are saying it already has this ability, people just haven't figured it out? The trick is to change the setting when no movie is running?

Yes its from the main settings menu under media I believe. I will look when I get home.
post #387 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

So far I've had only two or three titles I've tried have had the sub titles come up when they should not have. I have no idea if Avatar came up because of that or not. It could be.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #388 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Maybe that is why I had no issues? I never saw any subtitle problems this afternoon. It was only this evening after I had to do a hard reboot when it froze on a black screen that I even saw any subtitles other than with my Avatar MKV.

LED DLP

post #389 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohlman View Post

I have very mixed feelings about the boxee box so far.....

1. Interface is good at face value...untill you want to get to your local files.
They need an icon for Local Movies - Online Movies. Local TV Shows - Online TV Shows. music and photos.

2. Old beta interface was much better. Slow at loading covers.

3. Remote is the best and the worst. I can't count on my hand how many times i used it upside down. It feels the same.

4.Video quality is ok. C-200's picture just looks better. If i had a gun to my head i would keep the c-200 no question about it right now. Boxee box will go the the bedroom for now. But give it a couple of months and i think it could be great.

The video quality seems the same or similar to me. I had my TV professionally calibrated fairly recently to my C200 and since that outputs RGB and the Boxee does too I just changed a couple of settings to match what is on my C200 input.

Although I was only going by a couple of BD titles I could play. I could not play any of my familiar test patterns since the Boxee Box will not play my BD ISOs of my test BDs.

Right now the C200 is easily better than the BB for playback of BD ISOs. The C200 plays them flawlessly and bitstreams the HBR codecs with no issues. Plus the new NMT Jukebox is nice too.
But the BB does scrape the content much, much faster than the C200 and is better with the aggregated online content.

And it's really only the first or second day of release. With a worldwide release imminent, they seem to really be on top of things so hopefully they get most of these initial issues solved pretty quickly.

LED DLP

post #390 of 9720 Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Mine is on it's way. I took for granted that local scraping was optional but reading these posts I'm not sure. I have a large library on my NAS and I prefer scrolling through titles in a directory view list. Is this possible?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page