Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4801 of 9720 Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmelody View Post

Hey jmpage-- could you write a bit about your Boxee + Synology experience? Strongly considering going there myself. Perhaps here or the Synology review thread is appropriate?

Hi Modestmelody,

There is a good discussion over at the Boxee forum from users who use various Synology set ups.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.ph...light=synology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 9720 Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You should be able to rent 3D content from VUDU. But since it's not HDMI 1.4 it should only be side by side HD so the resolution is less.(there is also a top/bottom 3D but I don't think VUDU uses that.) I've seen top/bottom and side by side from Comcast on my borthers Sony 3D LCD set with the shutter glasses and it actually looked pretty good. So I would expect the 3D from VUDU to look even better. One day I might try it on my old LED DLP set, but I first need an adapter to convert the other 3D formats to the checkerboard 3D format that the DLP set needs.

This is good to know. I do have a PS3 as well, so I could try the new Vudu app over there, maybe it will give me a better 3D experience. Maybe I could do a compare and contrast!

I also look forward to firing up Gran Turismo 5.
post #4803 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

This is good to know. I do have a PS3 as well, so I could try the new Vudu app over there, maybe it will give me a better 3D experience. Maybe I could do a compare and contrast!

I think VUDU's 3D is always Side-by-side, no matter if you'r using the BB or the PS3, so there should be no difference between the two.
post #4804 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post

How boxee get photo of the music artist?
In my case it can push some artists ex: Celine Dion.

The mp3 tags are not well readead too.

Can someone help?

Kocl
post #4805 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 AM

So , now that the latest fw was not that succesfull (dts ma,true hd,power down from remote), is there any estimation date for the next one?
post #4806 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post

I think VUDU's 3D is always Side-by-side, no matter if you'r using the BB or the PS3, so there should be no difference between the two.

I need to read up on 3D tech, because I obviously have no real clue. I don't even know what all this "side-by-side" stuff means.
post #4807 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post

So , now that the latest fw was not that succesfull (dts ma,true hd,power down from remote), is there any estimation date for the next one?

What problem are you having powering down from the remote?
post #4808 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I need to read up on 3D tech, because I obviously have no real clue. I don't even know what all this "side-by-side" stuff means.

3D is confusing, so if we a/v techies don't fully get it, imagine the masses that studios/manufacturers want to push 3D onto.

From what I understand, there are three formats: side-by-side, top-bottom, and sequential. The last one is full resolution 1080p Blu-ray standard 3D. Boxee Box supports the first two types, but resolution is reduced by half to each eye (left/right side or top/bottom), with the resulting displayed image is full size. However, you've sacrified half the resolution to get there. A full resolution 3D Blu-ray player however uses sequential to preserve full 1080p for left and right eye, same as the source.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4809 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

What is it you would like to know? Works great? Answer = yes!

Well, generally most of the grumbling I've read about the BB is around a few points: 1) Remote RF instead of IR (I don't care); 2) Netflix/Vudu (it's coming); 3)Various local playback issues with codecs (seems to be limited to particular files and codecs and since I'm only about to rip my DVDs and Blurays I can build my collection around the best formats for compatibility); and 4) Problems connected to network shares and finding files.

It's really the last one that concerns me as this is the major reason for the BB in my view-- it's the best interface by far for getting high quality, local files on to my tv with the least hassel. If that's not true, I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge. I like a lot of the other features of the BB but local media is first and foremost, Netflix a close second, and everything else is gravy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoihazard View Post

Hi Modestmelody,

There is a good discussion over at the Boxee forum from users who use various Synology set ups.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.ph...light=synology

Thanks. This was useful and encouraging.
post #4810 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Well, generally most of the grumbling I've read about the BB is around a few points: 1) Remote RF instead of IR (I don't care); 2) Netflix/Vudu (it's coming); 3)Various local playback issues with codecs (seems to be limited to particular files and codecs and since I'm only about to rip my DVDs and Blurays I can build my collection around the best formats for compatibility); and 4) Problems connected to network shares and finding files.

It's really the last one that concerns me as this is the major reason for the BB in my view-- it's the best interface by far for getting high quality, local files on to my tv with the least hassel. If that's not true, I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge. I like a lot of the other features of the BB but local media is first and foremost, Netflix a close second, and everything else is gravy.

BluRay and DVDs are fine. Much of the codec issue resolves around lesser known codecs (such as used by various camcorders, questionable encodes, etc...).

If Netflix is towards the top of your list why not wait until the end of the month before you decide whether or not to purchase the BB. Supposedly Netflix will arrive on the BB by month end, but always better to wait and confirm

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4811 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post

Here, with footage from a standard Panasonic Lumix GH1, audio/video sync seems fine. But with footage from the same GH1 but with hacked firmware to increase the bit rate, there's about a one-second difference in audio and video.

Yeah.. my Lumix is a DMC-ZS3.. the MTS files which I guess uses the AVCHD lite format.. used to be out of synch by about 3 seconds.. now appear out of synch by about 1-2 seconds.. If I convert them to mpg via Handbrake.. they are in synch.

The OPPO 93 I tested played them fine.. :-(

The BB is so close now to being perfect for me.. just this one issue (and local info data for fitness/home movies, and full IR remote support (via dongle)) and we are there!!

PS - Wifey is digging NAVI-X! And now pretty much navigates the BB no issues... she loves it!!
post #4812 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMan69 View Post

Yeah.. my Lumix is a DMC-ZS3.. the MTS files which I guess uses the AVCHD lite format.. used to be out of synch by about 3 seconds.. now appear out of synch by about 1-2 seconds.. If I convert them to mpg via Handbrake.. they are in synch.

The OPPO 93 I tested played them fine.. :-(

The BB is so close now to being perfect for me.. just this one issue (and local info data for fitness/home movies, and full IR remote support (via dongle)) and we are there!!

PS - Wifey is digging NAVI-X! And now pretty much navigates the BB no issues... she loves it!!

One other issue I have with the box is related to home movies as well. The box can't seem to play the HD video we have from our Panasonic Lumix point and shoot. The video is in a .MOV container, but from what I've been able to gather the video is Motion JPEG, which the box can't handle because it's an old format or something. What happens with me is the audio plays fine for the first 3-4 seconds but then cuts out completely. Oh well.
post #4813 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

I use my Boxee Box almost exclusively for play back of my local DVD and BD content. I rip my BD discs to MKV files using ClownBD+MKVMerge. I just rip the DVD ISOs using Clone DVD and the main movie option.

90% of everything I care about is working fine. The outstanding items for me are the lackluster IR integration using 3rd party USB receivers, and the HD audio issues (which I don't really notice any more because I simply turned off DTS-MA until they fix it). PCM output of THD for me has been fine.

With my WHS box I would experience the occasional playback problem caused by one of MS various services getting in the way of reliable streaming... but, in fairness I had these problems with other media players too.

With the Synology, streaming is rock solid now. The Synology CPU rarely gets over even 15% occupancy and I can pull data down at a solid 55-60MB/s 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

I would say, that for the uses you've listed, you should get the Boxee Box. Vudu is really really cool, and I am far more confident now that Netflix is coming.

If you order it now from Amazon you would have until nearly the end of February to return it if you were not impressed with it, but I think you will be quite happy, it is, in my humble opinion turning into the best streamer on the market in just a matter of a few months.
post #4814 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One other issue I have with the box is related to home movies as well. The box can't seem to play the HD video we have from our Panasonic Lumix point and shoot. The video is in a .MOV container, but from what I've been able to gather the video is Motion JPEG, which the box can't handle because it's an old format or something. What happens with me is the audio plays fine for the first 3-4 seconds but then cuts out completely. Oh well.

Check your camera's settings as Panasonic (at least for models in the last few years) supports recording to AVCHD as well (.mts format). It's actually better quality IMHO than MJPEG.

I've had no issues playing most (90%) of my hi-def home video files on my Boxee Box, from a variety of cameras/camcorders: Panasonic ZS3 & now ZS7 (.mts files), Canon S95 (.mov), Sony HX5V (.mts), Sony HC3 (.mpg) and HC5 (.mts).

Where I encounter issues with Boxee is for H.264 (AVC, MPEG4) home videos I edited using H264TS_Cutter, VideoRedo H.264 or similar. Boxee seems to have stutter, break-up or freezing issues at edit points. My Popcorn Hour A210's playback is very smooth in comparison. What seems to help Boxee's playback (if you need to edit your home videos) is to first join .mts files using tsMuxeR's (freeware) join feature, then use VideoRedo H.264 to edit. I was editing first, then joining, which may not be good. For .mov files, use QuickTime Pro to edit; it's wonderfully easy and the resulting edited file plays very smoothly.

post #4815 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Check your camera's settings as Panasonic (at least for models in the last few years) supports recording to AVCHD as well (.mts format). It's actually better quality IMHO than MJPEG.

I've had no issues playing most (90%) of my hi-def home video files on my Boxee Box, from a variety of cameras/camcorders: Panasonic ZS3 & now ZS7 (.mts files), Canon S95 (.mov), Sony HX5V (.mts), Sony HC3 (.mpg) and HC5 (.mts).

Where I encounter issues with Boxee is for H.264 (AVC, MPEG4) home videos I edited using H264TS_Cutter, VideoRedo H.264 or similar. Boxee seems to have stutter, break-up or freezing issues at edit points. My Popcorn Hour A210's playback is very smooth in comparison. What seems to help Boxee's playback (if you need to edit your home videos) is to first join .mts files using tsMuxeR's (freeware) join feature, then use VideoRedo H.264 to edit. I was editing first, then joining, which may not be good. For .mov files, use QuickTime Pro to edit; it's wonderfully easy and the resulting edited file plays very smoothly.

I had looked through my camera's settings, but didn't see anything to change the output format. I'll have to give it another try. Could I conceivable re-encode the video to a different format to get it to work right? It plays just fine on our PC through Picasa.
post #4816 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

You can always re-encode using Handbrake or similar so you end up with a more compliant H.264 (Boxee-friendly) file, but you'll take a small quality hit.

post #4817 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

That might be an option, just a lot of legwork. I do have experience with Handbrake though from my "trying to use my PS3 as a media server" days. I'm glad those are behind me!
post #4818 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

You can always re-encode using Handbrake or similar so you end up with a more compliant H.264 (Boxee-friendly) file, but you'll take a small quality hit.

Yep.. this process is working fine for me.. I just wish I didn't have to do it cause I have tons of files.. yeah I can batch them but still a pain.. (and the very slight PQ hit).
post #4819 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is so much buffering even playing in sd mode, I tried to play trailers and in wired mode(wireless was even worse), there is so much buffering. Forget about hdx and hd.
post #4820 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

BluRay and DVDs are fine. Much of the codec issue resolves around lesser known codecs (such as used by various camcorders, questionable encodes, etc...).

If Netflix is towards the top of your list why not wait until the end of the month before you decide whether or not to purchase the BB. Supposedly Netflix will arrive on the BB by month end, but always better to wait and confirm

DVD movie playback is fine.... DVD menu support has had some serious issues and is still not completely resolved.

Sean
post #4821 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM

hey guys! I have been trying to read through this thread but it is so long!
I've been trying to find something I can use to put all my movies onto my computer and stream to my tv. I was looking at apple tv, but then I found the boxee box. So I downloaded the free software and it is pretty nice. It recognized my movies on my HDD and had information and a nice layout for them! cool!
Anyways, so how are you guys liking the box so far is it worth the 199.99? But what I was wondering for just maybe $100 more you could just build a dedicated HTPC and run the boxee software on it. Is there any reason to use the actual boxee box instead?

My other question is what do you guys use to rip your SD dvds and BDs? Is the program free?
Also can you use dvd menus with this? if so, how? And when I use their subtitle feature which seemed to be awesome it usually is not matched up. Any way to fix this?

Thanks guys!
post #4822 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMan69 View Post

Wifey is digging NAVI-X!

can you explain or link me the benefits of using navi-x? i can't tell from looking at its website. thanks
post #4823 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

There is so much buffering even playing in sd mode, I tried to play trailers and in wired mode(wireless was even worse), there is so much buffering. Forget about hdx and hd.

This sounds like a networks issue IMO. I've played a number of HDX trailers and previews without any issue.
post #4824 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

can you explain or link me the benefits of using navi-x?

Like someone else here warned me, talking about Navi-X is like talking about 'Fight Club'. You're breaking the first rule... . Just Google "Navi-X" and you'll soon know why.

post #4825 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM

I've had my Boxee Box since it was released in November. I've had a few issues, and opened a few tickets. The team has been oustanding in getting the issues resolved.

Despite some frustrations with promises/releases - I've been a happy owner since day 1 and have still recommended it (while being honest about some of the issues others are having even if I am not) to friends.

I do wish they would think of us poor Canadians though. Vudu isn't supported in Canada. Netflix (if it comes at the end of the month) is for US-only. Hulu+ is almost definitely going to be US-only. When asked about Netflix Canada - Avner said it was "to follow soon after the US-release".

Given how wrong Avner's promised timetables have been in the past. When he can't even offer any timeline for Netflix Canada - I don't have much confidence that it will come soon.

I will continue to use Netflix on my Xbox360. Hopefully one day I can use it on the Boxee instead. It would also be great to have Vudu too - but I doubt that will happen. I use the Boxee Box for local content primarily. Occasionally I will watch a Revision3 or TwitTV feed.
post #4826 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Man, youtube is buffering like mad..

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #4827 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm getting 3-4 buffering pauses per preview even when the test says my network should be fast enough
post #4828 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yup-- planning on waiting at least a month because I'll probably be closing on a new place in the next 2-3 weeks. Seems like the basic stuff all works and that's good news for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I use my Boxee Box almost exclusively for play back of my local DVD and BD content. I rip my BD discs to MKV files using ClownBD+MKVMerge. I just rip the DVD ISOs using Clone DVD and the main movie option.

90% of everything I care about is working fine. The outstanding items for me are the lackluster IR integration using 3rd party USB receivers, and the HD audio issues (which I don't really notice any more because I simply turned off DTS-MA until they fix it). PCM output of THD for me has been fine.

With my WHS box I would experience the occasional playback problem caused by one of MS various services getting in the way of reliable streaming... but, in fairness I had these problems with other media players too.

With the Synology, streaming is rock solid now. The Synology CPU rarely gets over even 15% occupancy and I can pull data down at a solid 55-60MB/s 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

I would say, that for the uses you've listed, you should get the Boxee Box. Vudu is really really cool, and I am far more confident now that Netflix is coming.

If you order it now from Amazon you would have until nearly the end of February to return it if you were not impressed with it, but I think you will be quite happy, it is, in my humble opinion turning into the best streamer on the market in just a matter of a few months.

That's what I want to hear.

I think in the end I just have to scrounge the funds for a solid NAS with good backup options and the BB and be done with cable.
post #4829 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe Vudu servers are currently having issues or there are some internet slow downs at the moment. I watched a whole pile of HDX trailers, previews and an entire 2 hour movie in HD the other day and never saw a single buffer of any kind.
post #4830 of 9720 Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post

hey guys! I have been trying to read through this thread but it is so long!
I've been trying to find something I can use to put all my movies onto my computer and stream to my tv. I was looking at apple tv, but then I found the boxee box. So I downloaded the free software and it is pretty nice. It recognized my movies on my HDD and had information and a nice layout for them! cool!
Anyways, so how are you guys liking the box so far is it worth the 199.99? But what I was wondering for just maybe $100 more you could just build a dedicated HTPC and run the boxee software on it. Is there any reason to use the actual boxee box instead?

My other question is what do you guys use to rip your SD dvds and BDs? Is the program free?
Also can you use dvd menus with this? if so, how? And when I use their subtitle feature which seemed to be awesome it usually is not matched up. Any way to fix this?

Thanks guys!

It comes down to how amenable you are to tweaking, hacking and dealing with a full OS installed box in the case of the HTPC.

The advantage of the Boxee is that for the most part you just plug it in and it works. No worrying about OS installation, patches, drivers, configuration settings, etc... not to mention no need to maintain or back it up. Unlike most other streamers you don't need to go in and build special applications and settings files on a central PC to build a library wall view for it. It can aggregate as many sources as you tell it about, scrape the movie/show details and present them to you in a nice library view. For those shows that don't get located properly the Boxee has a very robust file browser that makes finding the show you want to access a snap. With the latest version you can quickly sort the list by date added, etc.

The Boxee also has the advantage of one click premium content, first with Vudu and soon with Netflix and if we are lucky Hulu+ as well this year.

The advantage of an HTPC is that it is completely customizable and can be made to more or less do exactly what you want, it can run XBMC (which is much better for local media playback in my opinion, although no HD audio support as of yet). It has a full blown browser (if you are running it under Windows or Linux) so you can often times access any and all web pages, flash content, etc, without having to worry about interoperability problems.

At the end of the day I don't need to come home from my stressful job and deal with fixing a bunch of broken crap in my home. I turn the Boxee on, and it works. If I need to "wipe" the Boxee settings and reconfigure it, it takes all of five minutes.

I briefly had an ACER 1600 HTPC running the Live version of XBMC and it was a non stop PITA. I don't want to deal with that again. I do understand though that the newest version of XBMC Dharma is quite a bit improved. Still not going there, at least not any time soon.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page