Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys a few questions. Would really appreciate some answers from those who have played with it long enough.

1) How does it output 23.976? Does it play as is or @ 50/60p? Any judder?

2) Can you use VPN? I remember reading somewhere that, unlike the computer versions, there is a VPN configuration in settings itself!

3) Could someone PLEASE have a look at the power supply and tell me if it's 100-240V & 50/60Hz?

And last question. I currently have the WDTV Live and use it with Playon? I've already put it up for sale so I can have the Boxee. Bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Lucky you. Mine doesn't.

I'll need to go through and look closer then. i went through and had it identify around 25 titles but I never looked at those again. Only the two BD ISos I changed that were working since I had gone to them multiple times after the reboot for BD ISo playback.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #543 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaj View Post

Guys a few questions. Would really appreciate some answers from those who have played with it long enough.

2) Can you use VPN? I remember reading somewhere that, unlike the computer versions, there is a VPN configuration in settings itself!

3) Could someone PLEASE have a look at the power supply and tell me if it's 100-240V & 50/60Hz?

And last question. I currently have the WDTV Live and use it with Playon? I've already put it up for sale so I can have the Boxee. Bad idea?

2. It has a setting for PPTP VPN only. I have not played with this.

3. Yes.
post #544 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

2. It has a setting for PPTP VPN only. I have not played with this.

3. Yes.

2. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

3. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Thanks jmpage but how about 1? I know the WDTV Live outputs at 24/23.976p. My TV verifies that.
post #545 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

3. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Thanks jmpage but how about 1? I know the WDTV Live outputs at 24/23.976p. My TV verifies that.

I don't have a 23.976 TV to test with for item 1.
post #546 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:

1. It appears to output 24p fine. My TV will switch to 24hz when playing content, however I have noticed a bug with this. If you are watching 24p and pull up a menu, the TV switches to 60hz until the menu items are gone offscreen, then it reverts to 24p. This has to be a bug.

2. I have not used it, but yes there is a VPN configuration section.
post #547 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps View Post

1. It appears to output 24p fine. My TV will switch to 24hz when playing content, however I have noticed a bug with this. If you are watching 24p and pull up a menu, the TV switches to 60hz until the menu items are gone offscreen, then it reverts to 24p. This has to be a bug.

2. I have not used it, but yes there is a VPN configuration section.

When I tried the 24P playback, it had issues if I resumed titles but was fine if i started the title from the beginning. I disabled the option so it stays on 1080P60 output. Although I could enable 1080P24 output full time and it was fine when set that way.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #548 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I don't have a 23.976 TV to test with for item 1.

Oh ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps View Post

I hope someone has mentioned this to Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When I tried the 24P playback, it had issues if I resumed titles but was fine if i started the title from the beginning. I disabled the option so it stays on 1080P60 output. Although I could enable 1080P24 output full time and it was fine when set that way.

Awesome!

Thanks guys for all your help.
post #549 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

So I'll ask again... when it fires up Fancast how does it know you are an XFinity subscriber? Simply because you are on a Comcast internet connection? It doesn't seem to actually sync with my Xfinity account, so a ton of content that I can see on the actual XFInity web page isn't present in the Box menu.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #550 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

So I'll ask again... when it fires up Fancast how does it know you are an XFinity subscriber? Simply because you are on a Comcast internet connection? It doesn't seem to actually sync with my Xfinity account, so a ton of content that I can see on the actual XFInity web page isn't present in the Box menu.

Fancast doesnt require a comcast account (as far as I can tell). As far as I can tell Fancast has a "free" offering which is what Boxee is using, which is probably why your missing the specific things youd see on the website if you logged in. This is just a guess though.
post #551 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ok... so is there a way to use the full XFinity site? App or something? I can use the browser if I have to but god is it awful

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #552 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick question, does anyone have a hard drive connected directly to the Boxee Box? If so are you experiencing the same stuttering issues with MKV and AVI files? I see most of the posts here are related to networked content and not directly connected content, I am wondering if there is a difference between the two.
post #553 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Ok... so is there a way to use the full XFinity site? App or something? I can use the browser if I have to but god is it awful

As far as I know there is no Xfinity app as of yet. I think I saw a request in the Application section of the Boxee forums, you may want to take a look there.
post #554 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Just a quick question, does anyone have a hard drive connected directly to the Boxee Box? If so are you experiencing the same stuttering issues with MKV and AVI files? I see most of the posts here are related to networked content and not directly connected content, I am wondering if there is a difference between the two.

Eli has already said that it's not a network issue with the buffer/stutter going on.
post #555 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 AM

Has anyone faced an issue with subtitles being NOT displayed even when the Boxee software in PC shows the subtitles in laptop. My laptop is not a regular HD resolution screen, therefore shows the black band on the top and bottom of the screen and the subtitles on the bottom black band.
When i see the movie through boxee box, there is no black band in the TV and also no subtitles are NOT shown. Any work around for this? Can i chose the position of the subtitle?
post #556 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I am loading a HD up with stuff and will test that later...

Sean
post #557 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eli has already said that it's not a network issue with the buffer/stutter going on.

OK cool, I jsut wanted to see if anyone has tried a direct connection to see if there is any actual difference. I have a number of MKV\\AVIs but none in Hd audio due to my old receiver. I', wondering if Id still see the stuttering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattanbd View Post

Has anyone faced an issue with subtitles being NOT displayed even when the Boxee software in PC shows the subtitles in laptop. My laptop is not a regular HD resolution screen, therefore shows the black band on the top and bottom of the screen and the subtitles on the bottom black band.
When i see the movie through boxee box, there is no black band in the TV and also no subtitles are NOT shown. Any work around for this? Can i chose the position of the subtitle?

Is your TV in any type of zoom mode? Sounds almost like your TV has some overscan issues OR is using a setting that is zooming the picture.
post #558 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

I am loading a HD up with stuff and will test that later...

Sean

Thanks
post #559 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

What format are your subtitles, I am pretty sure the idx subtitles in mkvs don't work on the boxee box

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #560 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is an entire section in the settings that lets you change subtitle font, position, etc.

What you are describing though is that you have a file in which the subs are burned in or it has some offset, etc, in the sub file trying to control where it is positioned.

What is the media info output from the file?
post #561 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

I have a 2TB HD attached, I do not see any stuttering issue if played normally. but if you FF, then sometimes the screen locks up and i had to do hard reboot couple of times.
post #562 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

What format are your subtitles, I am pretty sure the idx subtitles in mkvs don't work on the boxee box

Yes, I can confirm that idx subs in MKV is not working, at least not if the subs in question are 1080 resolution.
post #563 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:

There is an entire section in the settings that lets you change subtitle font, position, etc.

What you are describing though is that you have a file in which the subs are burned in or it has some offset, etc, in the sub file trying to control where it is positioned.

What is the media info output from the file?

It is not a burned in subtitle for sure. and i could not find any settings for position, just for color, font & char set.
I do not know regarding the SUB controlling where to position itself. how can i figure that out? any pointer?
post #564 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is not a burned in subtitle for sure. and i could not find any settings for position, just for color, font & char set.
I do not know regarding the SUB controlling where to position itself. how can i figure that out? any pointer?

The first question is what kind of file you are dealing with and what format is the subtitle? Is the subtitle an SRT/IDX subtitle or a PGS subtitle? What is the container of the file (MKV, ISO, M2TS, etc).

That's the immediate stuff anybody would need to know to help you. If you can run the file through media info and get the output that would be even better.
post #565 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Yes, I can confirm that idx subs in MKV is not working, at least not if the subs in question are 1080 resolution.

I think then it is idx in general because any that I have in my working directory are only 480p (my 1080 idx are only in my test suite which I didn't go through yet)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #566 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I am sorry, i do not have the information now, once i get home, i will check and update. Was IDX/SUB support not something Boxee promised?
It plays fine in my laptop boxee software though.
post #567 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Coming from XBMC on the AppleTV with a CrystalHD card installed:

Pros:
  • BD ISO support is great
  • True 23.97Hz playback is awesome
  • DTS-MA and TrueHD (Coming soon) bitstreaming is phenomenal
  • Online service (Vevo, Vudu, Netflix, Hulu+, Comedy Central) support is non-existent in XBMC, so any level of support in Boxee is great.

Cons:
  • BD (and DVD) ISO issues
  • General video stuttering
  • No IR (Sucks for Harmony users)
  • No local storage for scrapped information (This is UNACCEPTABLE)

One thing is that all the cons can be resolved through regular software updates, even the IR support can be added through a driver and we will just provide an MCE IR receiver.

The database should be cached locally, this works 100% fine in XBMC, not sure why it was stripped out. Either allow storage on a SD Card, a USB Thumbdrive, or on the network.

XBMC is I think 90%/10% split for local/online content concentration, Boxee seems to be doing 30%/70%. Which is fine by default I guess, but I *SHOULD* be able to place an icon on the home screen to go straight to my local content.

I think XBMC on the Boxee Box would eliminate all of our issues, but we'd lose all the online video support, which is a large portion of my decision to buy this thing.
post #568 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just posted this on the boxee forum - figured i'd throw it over here as well:

1.78:1 content showing as stretched 2.35:1 content on my tv. boxee video settings are normal or full or whatever is default. this does not happen on everything only some things. changing the video settings available while the file is playing does not fix it. tv settings have not changed between files.

two identical streams (but not streaming, just destroyed video, side by side in the 16:9 screen of my tv. the background is from the same feed but a few seconds earlier, it is frozen. this will happen every 5 seconds or so then revert back to full screen but still unwatchable due to stuttering.

fwiw the majority of my files are handbrake encoded h.264 .mkv's from sd dvd sources. nothing out of the ordinary. wired connection to my router streaming from my wired to my router server. i use this same connection, cable and setup on other machines without issue.
post #569 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
I've lurked here for a few years and have always been amused at how incredibly anal some people are here. Some folks will never be satisfied with something no matter what.

What makes me laugh is people complaining about the scraping and it missing a few movies here and there.

This is what I had to do with my Popcorn Hour A-110. Right out of the gate the UI was as generic as they come. In 2 years PCH didn't do one attempt at updating the UI. Instead they left it up to their user community do all the work and various nice UI's. How lazy is that?

Then to actually get the pretty UI you'd have to do the following.

-Make sure all your movies and folders were labeled the same or have an NFO file in the folder
- Hook up a laptop with the included USB cable
- Install a Extfs driver to have your laptop recognize the drive your media was on, which was pretty hit and miss on Windows 7 x64
- Install YAMJ and configure mappings etc
-Run YAMJ which would take about 2 hours to scrape around 450 movies
-Go back and fix some of the movies YAMJ didn't recognize, then re-run YAMJ
-Always remember to safely eject USB, otherwise Linux file system could become unreadable
-If that happened, download UBUNTU live CD, boot from laptop, and do a FSCHK on the said drive and pray to god your movie library is still readable.
-I think that about "covers" it....pun intended

I love the subtitle download!...brilliant.
Was watching "If I should fall from grace" The Shayne MacGowan story and the wife couldn't understand what the hell he was saying :-).....so I selected the CC icon and it downloads the subs instantly....I thought that was really cool. A great thing as well, is if it does get your movie, tv show wrong, you can select identify and it gives you a list of possible IMDB titles to choose from, another excellent feature!

My experience on Boxee Box at first was damned annoying. The original UI seemed snappy, but quite flakey. I downloaded build 1.0.1.16125 and it was working fine, then I got an update message that a new FW was available - V 1.0.1.16126 - I grabbed that and that's when all my problems started and I think in general affected most other people. I kept on getting a message to download the same firmware I already had, and it only gave you an option to update or see more info. No way to escape. After hearing other peoples issues, the suggestion was to do a factory reset, which I did. I was again prompted to update to v.1.0.1.16125 (the original 1.0 FW) and almost all the problems I had with stuttering are gone. I only get that on a a few MKV files, which could be crappy rips. I had similar problems with some MKV's on my PCH.

One major issue is when the MKV files start to stutter or as another user said "starts playing like a slideshow" it then causes Boxee to not be able to play video again properly until a reboot. Audio is unaffected, but I get some kind of overlay with two miniature slideshows at the top of my TV. I can reproduce this bug every time.

I can now play any HD Mp4, M2ts, most MKV's and most AVI's. There is a problem with some AVI's that play with constant stutter (Planet of the apes) rip....I'll try and get the file info posted. Most other AVI's I have play fine. I remember reading on the Boxee Forum about some AVI's using some specific type of encoding that was giving the "Boxee Software" the same problem. Perhaps this has carried over the Boxee Box?

The online content is hit and miss. Some good quality, some really bad. The Comedy Network in Canada, now has Conan streaming on their website and the quality is excellent...whereas they also stream The Daily Show which is 4x3 and full of artifacts.

Some of the apps are really cool and work well.
The wireless works really well for me, If it doesn't for others, check for firmware updates. DD-WRT gave me problems streaming, so reverted the OEM firmware.
There appears to be a Boxee Box bug in the way the WIFI network sections shows signal strength.
My WIFI shows one bar whereas my neighbors shows full strength, when I look on my notebook at the same locale of the Boxee Box, Mine shows 4 out 5 bars and the neighbors with 1.

I wasn't too jazzed about the UI overhaul after playing with the software version for the last month and familiarizing myself with it. Only to have a completely different UI upon go-live. It just needs to be tweeked. I don't like how they've put files as your local content. I'd prefer if you could select to show local/provisioned or combined in a future build.

All in all I'm fairly happy and I know the bugs will get sorted out down the road.

For any Canadians out there wanting to watch Netflix. You can download the trial of PlayOn and use UPNP to stream Netflix through the Boxee Box from a laptop/PC. If you've got more than one PC, you can time it so you get at least 30 days of PlayOn for free.
I checked out Terminator 2 through PlayOn and it's really smooth in HD "wireless" When I tried PlayOn through Boxee Software it get jerky in landscape pans or major action scenes....so this is a bonus. This bodes well for when the actual Netflix App is released.

Hope this helps some people.

FYI - From one of the Boxee Forum Mods "We had issues last night with the FW but it has been fixed ..please update to the latest version 1.0.1.16125 and should solve all your issues"
post #570 of 9720 Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a 2TB HD attached, I do not see any stuttering issue if played normally. but if you FF, then sometimes the screen locks up and i had to do hard reboot couple of times.

are you playing bd isos with dts-hd and truhd or just bd iso's with dts track only or plain old dvd isos??
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page