Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #811 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone tell me how to click on hyperlinks in a webpage? nothing i click is working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Finally opened it up. Very nice look, the software is fine, etc ... but the fan is hardly whisper quiet. What were they thinking? This is almost as bad as the Patriot Box Office. There is this constant humming in your head. If fans don't bother you then I suppose this is fine. For a bedroom it would drive you crazy. For a home theatre setup you wouldn't hear it during a bombing scene, but it basically makes the room unbearable to me ( and not just me this time). Perhaps I got a bad fan. I can hear this thing from 12 feet. It's not as bad as the A200's fan, but it's darned close.

I am somewhat sensitive to fans and I suspect this wouldn't bother most people. The noise from the fan is actually louder than the fans in the TV+PVR+ATV-1G+Mac Mini combined. While my PC has a much louder fan this is actually more annoying.

Does it get better with time? Is this a defective fan?

philip
post #813 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattanbd
can anyone tell me how to click on hyperlinks in a webpage? nothing i click is working?
Actually it is pretty easy, walk away from the boxee box and go to a pc

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #814 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd
Finally opened it up. Very nice look, the software is fine, etc ... but the fan is hardly whisper quiet. What were they thinking? This is almost as bad as the Patriot Box Office. There is this constant humming in your head. If fans don't bother you then I suppose this is fine. For a bedroom it would drive you crazy. For a home theatre setup you wouldn't hear it during a bombing scene, but it basically makes the room unbearable to me ( and not just me this time). Perhaps I got a bad fan. I can hear this thing from 12 feet. It's not as bad as the A200's fan, but it's darned close.

I am somewhat sensitive to fans and I suspect this wouldn't bother most people. The noise from the fan is actually louder than the fans in the TV+PVR+ATV-1G+Mac Mini combined. While my PC has a much louder fan this is actually more annoying.

Does it get better with time? Is this a defective fan?

philip
My guess potentially a bad fan. Some people I think who got multiple boxes noted that fan noise varies from box to box. Right now the boxee box is in my bedroom and I cannot hear the fan from my bed (maybe 10-12 ft away)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #815 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
dts-hd lights are finally on my receiver!! , forced subtitles worked on iron man bluray.
Resume is working great. Avatar bd iso stuttering, to an extent there is audio and subtitles moving, but no video.
post #816 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026

I think it's a good suggestion. But has anyone made it work in the boxeebox
post #817 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Damn-I really don't see what all the bs is about. My BB arrived this morning and I've been playing with it for a few hours now and I've been very impressed with it so far. It's played everything I've thrown at it so far-mkvs at level 5.1 with 16 reference frames, dvd isos, bluray m2ts, ass subtitles have worked for me-they look just like the playback on my pc with Boxee software. I was considering a PB A200 but this is the better choice for me. It'll never be connected to the internet-I'm using it for local files off a usb harddrive only. I briefly tried a Popbox-what a joke. Maybe there a minor bugs with the BB but from where I stand it's the best $199 I've spent in a long time. Fan noise? You've gotta be sh**ing me-I have excellent hearing and don't hear anything.
post #818 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
Fan noise? You've gotta be sh**ing me-I have excellent hearing and don't hear anything.
Would you like to trade?

philip
post #819 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mine is dead silent also....

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #820 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 PM

anyone please...

im trying to get seagate goflex external hard drive 3TB to work with boxee to no avail??? connecting via USB directly to the bb

1. should it work, 3tb?

2. is there anything i need to do to get it to recognize? its not coming up under my source folders??

when i plug it in i get a prompt, a star that says disk attached or something. but nothing shows up under local souces?
post #821 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have two I am messing with and they sound completely different. Maybe there are two suppliers for the fan and it's a draw on which one you get.
post #822 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
You haven't lied my friend, and I can install 0.9 or 1.0, hop and back to 0.9 on my revo 3700.

This week end, the Big winners are ...... people who have Boxee installed on ATV and HTPC
post #823 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsccr View Post
anyone please...

im trying to get seagate goflex external hard drive 3TB to work with boxee to no avail??? connecting via USB directly to the bb

1. should it work, 3tb?

2. is there anything i need to do to get it to recognize? its not coming up under my source folders??

when i plug it in i get a prompt, a star that says disk attached or something. but nothing shows up under local souces?

Hi

Did you look at this link?
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/howto/

It s the seagate support website of your drive.
post #824 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm an owner, only my BB is in transit. Honestly, I'm VERY disappointed with the quality of this hardware at lauch. Everyone here sounds like they are beta testings this thing. From what I've read, the software has NO business being at 1.0. I actually called to cancel my order with amazon, but it's already shipped, so I'll try it through the limit of the return policy, but I'm not expecting the quality to be fixed quick enough. I see people asking "when do you think the stuttering problem will be fixed?". Since they knew nothing about it and they STILL have no idea what's wrong, I suspect it will be a while. My needs for this box where slick GUI playback of my SD DVD and HD BD folders/iso LOCAL MEDIA. The internet/browser stuff was gravy. I'm likely to consider a Netgear 550 at this point. Sorry to sound pesimestic, but I'm dissappointed and I haven't even unboxed my BB!
post #825 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didapipo View Post
Hi

Did you look at this link?
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/howto/

It s the seagate support website of your drive.
this is of ZERO help. the drive is recognized and works on my computer. boxee is the problem
post #826 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneoctane View Post
I'm an owner, only my BB is in transit. Honestly, I'm VERY disappointed with the quality of this hardware at lauch. Everyone here sounds like they are beta testings this thing. From what I've read, the software has NO business being at 1.0. I actually called to cancel my order with amazon, but it's already shipped, so I'll try it through the limit of the return policy, but I'm not expecting the quality to be fixed quick enough. I see people asking "when do you think the stuttering problem will be fixed?". Since they knew nothing about it and they STILL have no idea what's wrong, I suspect it will be a while. My needs for this box where slick GUI playback of my SD DVD and HD BD folders/iso LOCAL MEDIA. The internet/browser stuff was gravy. I'm likely to consider a Netgear 550 at this point. Sorry to sound pesimestic, but I'm dissappointed and I haven't even unboxed my BB!
I am in the same boat:

04:33:00 AM XXXXXXXX XX US Departure Scan

I will give it a try for 2 or 3 weeks , and it's going to my kids room or back to where it came from ......
post #827 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I posted 3 times. 2 messages were " accepted" and i can see them, and the third one that has the name of alternative choices was nowhere to be found. Not accepted because it has the names of other brands.
Of course not, its not your place to suggest replacements on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
The Walking Dead - 1x01 - Days Gone Bye

Also, I did some testing on movies that were scraped incorrectly. When I used "Identify" to correct it, the correction does stick through power cycles.
Hm, I wonder where it puts that information - in the cloud as others have said? Or locally?

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #828 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
this is of ZERO help. the drive is recognized and works on my computer. boxee is the problem

ok here is some reading for you

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...3948#pid433948

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=111215

I think it has to do with size, but not sure. Good luck.

Edit: look also at this : http://www.neowin.net/news/seagate-t...ater-this-year
post #829 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
dts-hd lights are finally on my receiver!! , forced subtitles worked on iron man bluray.
Resume is working great. Avatar bd iso stuttering, to an extent there is audio and subtitles moving, but no video.
What did u change??? I get no lights and I had to remove all check marks in the audio settings to get the file to work. But if I touch the remote at all I lose the picture and have to restart from the beginning...
post #830 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post
Hm, I wonder where it puts that information - in the cloud as others have said? Or locally?
Locally, I believe.
post #831 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Of course not, its not your place to suggest replacements on their site.

I lost 200$ on a beta product, and as a customer and i can vent and ask explanations
+ 12$ shipping
post #832 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 PM

>>>when i plug it in i get a prompt, a star that says disk attached or something. but nothing shows up under local souces?

>>when i connect it to my windows 7 pc via usb, and share the disk over my network, boxee picks it up no problem, however, plugging it directly into boxee via usb, does not recognize it.

i reformatted it before use to NTFS.
post #833 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
All of my tv series list episodes in reverse order; finale at top, pilot at the bottom. Is there a way to reverse that? I haven't found a sort option menu.
post #834 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
"They are giving a PCI add in card because PC motherboard's can't handle them.
How do you expect PCH/NMT to handle this when the latest PC's can't without a add in card!"

That quote sums it up .
post #835 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyway to turn off non local movies under movies? I don't want to see all that junk. It says 2000 movies when i goto movies, I don't even want internet BS personally. Netflix is what I want, Hulu+ is what I want, but I want to see my local collection of 1000+ movies scraped and thats it.

I love this thing don't get me wrong, i'm staying with it for sure unless I can't turn that junk off. I don't want it showing TV shows or movies that arent in my local collection. If i wanted that junk i'd rip it myself in HD. Does anyone know if they will make it so I can turn it off?
post #836 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

I see avner says

"we're going to try and address the local files accessibility with a quick fix"

In response to someone saying the new menu sucks and local files are hidden. So perhaps something is coming soon.

Quote:
I lost 200$ on a beta product, and as a customer and i can vent and ask explanations
+ 12$ shipping
1. return it and get your money back.
2. Sure ask politely for an explanation, but not to vent or start a riot. It breaks more than it helps.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #837 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post
Anyway to turn off non local movies under movies? I don't want to see all that junk. It says 2000 movies when i goto movies, I don't even want internet BS personally. Netflix is what I want, Hulu+ is what I want, but I want to see my local collection of 1000+ movies scraped and thats it.

I love this thing don't get me wrong, i'm staying with it for sure unless I can't turn that junk off. I don't want it showing TV shows or movies that arent in my local collection. If i wanted that junk i'd rip it myself in HD. Does anyone know if they will make it so I can turn it off?
Vote here:
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=21919

also there is this interesting info about netflix:

Go to http://www.PlayOn.tv and download their their software for the free 14 day trial. Install the software and follow the setup procedure. You might also have to make a change to your Internet Firewall but maybe not.

Go into Boxee under Media Sources and you will see the PlayOn UpnP server. Select it and addit as a media source and your done.

The kicker is it's $39 dollars for a year after the trial runs out but it nice to fall back on if Boxee doesn't come through with the goods.
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22110
post #838 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I see avner says

In response to someone saying the new menu sucks and local files are hidden. So perhaps something is coming soon.

1. return it and get your money back.
2. Sure ask politely for an explanation, but not to vent or start a riot. It breaks more than it helps.
Nobody started a riot, sir. One thing i don't like is censorchip, and i asked politely, and my time is precious , to wait for the box and pack it back and ship it again is a big waste of my time.
The riot is in your own mind sir.
post #839 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=arswhat;19484218]I see avner says

Sure hope they are. I don't like all this overhead. Actually I just started Boxee on my mac mini i use as my main pc to look at what the old interface looked like again. I really really prefer it over the new one. I'm not sure how I couldn't. The old interface to me is perfect. Easy access and vieiwing of my local junk and since all my movies were already scanned in it it looked great. I really hope they can fix this soon. I won't be sending it back because I love and support boxee and been waiting like 2 years for this day. I just want local files not junk.
post #840 of 9720 Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

anyone know the largest size external HDD BB will take?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page