Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Did a quick search on XBMC's forum and found someone built a patch to enable hd audio; pretty cool. Wonder if it's as easy as it looks? ... meaning install XBMC, then this patch.

Instead of building a PC, I'd rather buy pre-built, hopefully around $400. Anyone know if the Lenovo Q180 has the right hardware for this? It has nice form factor. What about this Gateway? There's also the Xtreamer Ultra2 coming out, but I'm wary of Xtreamer.

That's the patch I'm running and it's outstanding, working great.

I just can't bring myself to buy an off the shelf $400 PC to run XBMC on. Reason being that they are almost all built with crappy parts in a crappy enclosure and have loud fans.

My setup is almost completely silent, has a great CPU and video card and even has an infrared sensor inside of the chassis for full Harmony remote integration.

If Apple does what I think they're going to do later this year I will likely put an AppleTV on my main TV for axillary content and the Boxees will all be retired to secondary rooms of the house for watching offline content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think the Boxee Box is pretty solid right now. I don't use HD audio so that one pain point does not affect me. What does suck however, and this is true of almost all streaming devices, is the inability to play Hi10P media. Even XBMC can't help you there unless you do some hacks in Windows platform. I would prefer an XBMC platform that runs on a small appliance like Openelec but unfortunately the tradeoff is customization. So far, nobody can get it all right.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

If Apple does what I think they're going to do later this year I will likely put an AppleTV on my main TV...

Hmm, what might that be. You're obviously not referring to ATV3.
Quote:

My setup is almost completely silent, has a great CPU and video card and even has an infrared sensor inside of the chassis for full Harmony remote integration.

Mind sharing your build? I've never built a PC, but maybe should give it a try. I have BB and PCH A-300 for my dedicated HT, but a XBMC box w/hd audio would let me get rid of both there.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, what might that be. You're obviously not referring to ATV3.

Mind sharing your build? I've never built a PC, but maybe should give it a try. I have BB and PCH A-300 for my dedicated HT, but a XBMC box w/hd audio would let me get rid of both there.

Wesena ITX-7 case + PicoPSU + Intel 2100 + ATI Radeon 6450. That about covers the major stuff.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'm starting to look through here.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I would take Eskro's advice with a grain of salt as his focus is far more on getting the cheapest solution possible than on getting a quiet, elegant solution.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I am waiting for the day where you just settle on one device and be happy

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish for that too Damian, but each solution has pros/cons and I want it all , plus I love playing with new toys (who doesn't?)!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidera View Post

You can power on & off with the included remote. (Power on=menu. Power off =Menu button to home screen, select power, choose shutdown).

If you install an USB IR receiver, you can power off via any universal remote (MCE compatible). You CANNOT power on via IR.

Thanks.

Kocl
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I am waiting for the day where you just settle on one device and be happy

Is that even possible? There will always be a device that does certain things better. So I figure I will always need multiple boxes.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-16-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Is that even possible? There will always be a device that does certain things better. So I figure I will always need multiple boxes.

Yeah, that was my point. I don't think there will ever be a box that will make us 100% happy, i was just busting Brajesh's chops

Cheers,
Damian

Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually pretty happy now with these boxes: PCH A-300 w/YAMJ+Eversion for my main home theater (for 2D) and HD900B (exclusively for 3D). Then, Boxee Box-es for wife and kids (just easy w/a nice UI for them), and jailbroken ATV2 for the fun of it.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I would take Eskro's advice with a grain of salt as his focus is far more on getting the cheapest solution possible than on getting a quiet, elegant solution.

nor has he built those systems. They are paper specced. you know all too well the perils of paper specs from your experience.

last time I knew you were running intel graphics after bad experience with ATI and Nvidia. Now your back on ATI? details please....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

with the HD audio patch I discovered that I would get audio dropouts every couple of minutes when I used both XBMC sync options (sync to source and sync to display). This was the 'trick' that had let me use the Intel graphics to get perfect 24P output... so I was left with the choice of taking dropped video frames or having audio drops.

I installed a Radeon 6450 and it is able to get perfect 24P playback capability with only the "sync to display" option set. I get no frame drops during a 2+ hour movie and I get perfect HD audio with no dropouts. For the $45 I paid for the card it was not a hard decision to make.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a audio lover and I just bought the SONOS Connect to test it.

How is the Boxee nowadays? is it better now?

Does boxee stream internet radio, play music, just like the Sonos?
Can the Boxee easily replace the Sonos according to my needs?

The reason why I'm testing the Sonos Connect is:

- Sonos connect is connected to my receiver so that I can rear to musics wirelessly.
- I have the control on my hands using Sonos app provided to my Android phone.
- I need to stream whatever music is on my network to my Stereo system. That is my goal.

Pros: Good product, quality, easy to use.
Cons: Price $399. It has to be wired to the Router or spend an extra $59 and buy the Sonos Bridge to make it wireless.

About Boxee:
- I've checked Boxee website and there is a App that you can actually control your Boxee as well. Not only control it but type using a virtual keyboard.
- It can stream music. Not sure if it does stream internet radio (free one)

Pros: Price $189, very good price comparing to my Sonos. I know they are different products. TV, Shows, etc...
Cons: ?, Interface? Let me know...

Any thoughts??

TIA!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Sonos is a very high end audio streaming device that is extremely good at what it does (streaming music).

The Boxee is a do-it-all media player that can play all sorts of media files, with Boxee there is far more emphasis on video playback and organization than on audio. Boxee audio playback/control is very cryptic and limited. You also need to have your TV turned on to really "control" it as there is no app for Boxee that will let you search on an artist, playlist, album, etc, and play it back.

To put it another way, I still have three Squeezeboxes (counterparts to your Sonos) for playback of my audio library, even on systems that have Boxee Boxes on them.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner2k View Post

Hello Everyone,

I'm a audio lover and I just bought the SONOS Connect to test it.

How is the Boxee nowadays? is it better now?

Does boxee stream internet radio, play music, just like the Sonos?
Could I just get a Boxee instead of a Sonos?

The reason why I'm testing the Sonos Connect is:

- Sonos connect is connected to my receiver so that I can rear to musics wirelessly.
- I have the control on my hands using Sonos app provided to my Android phone.
- I need to stream whatever music is on my network to my Stereo system. That is my goal.

Pros: Good product, quality, easy to use.
Cons: Price $399. It has to be wired to the Router or spend an extra $59 and buy the Sonos Bridge to make it wireless.

About Boxee:
- I've checked Boxee website and there is a App that you can actually control your Boxee as well. Not only control it but type using a virtual keyboard.
- It can stream music. Not sure if it does stream internet radio (free one)

Pros: Price $189, very good price comparing to my Sonos. I know they are different products. TV, Shows, etc...
Cons: ?, Interface? Let me know...

Any thoughts??

TIA!!!

It may help to understand if you are actually looking for a media player to handle video playback as well? If all you care about is music playback then honestly there is no reason to get the Boxee Box (or just about any other of these media players) over a dedicated music solution such as Sonos.

Cheers,
Damian

Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Sonos is a very high end audio streaming device that is extremely good at what it does (streaming music).

The Boxee is a do-it-all media player that can play all sorts of media files, with Boxee there is far more emphasis on video playback and organization than on audio. Boxee audio playback/control is very cryptic and limited. You also need to have your TV turned on to really "control" it as there is no app for Boxee that will let you search on an artist, playlist, album, etc, and play it back.

To put it another way, I still have three Squeezeboxes (counterparts to your Sonos) for playback of my audio library, even on systems that have Boxee Boxes on them.

Yeah, I knew I was comparing Apples to Oranges. It would be nice to have a "do-it-all" media player.

One thing you have mentioned is that I won't be able to control the music playlist with the Boxee App (android). Is that right?

You are pretty much suggesting to have a Audio solution such as Sonos/Squeezebox and a video solution = Boxee?

Why did you get the Squeezebox over the SONOS? What made you buy it instead? Any cons on the Sonos box?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

It may help to understand if you are actually looking for a media player to handle video playback as well? If all you care about is music playback then honestly there is no reason to get the Boxee Box (or just about any other of these media players) over a dedicated music solution such as Sonos.

Hello Dbone!

Yes, I'm actually looking for a media player to handle video playback as well.

I've read about the Samsung Smart TV. How is it compared to a Boxee box? Do you know?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You are pretty much suggesting to have a Audio solution such as Sonos/Squeezebox and a video solution = Boxee?

Thanks!

This is what I do. I have Sonos set up at home for music and use my Dunes/PCHs/HTPCs for video

Cheers,
Damian

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I knew I was comparing Apples to Oranges. It would be nice to have a "do-it-all" media player.

One thing you have mentioned is that I won't be able to control the music playlist with the Boxee App (android). Is that right?

Why did you get the Squeezebox over the SONOS? What made you buy it instead? Any cons on the Sonos box?

Thanks!

I picked Squeezebox because at the time I was in the market for an audio streamer (10+ years ago) Sonos did not exist.

If I was picking today it would be a toss-up, but Squeezebox is less expensive, and with the iPeng app for an iPhone or iPad it pretty much has similar capabilities to the Sonos.

Also, I have a Squeezebox Radio to allow playback of my music and for use as an alarm clock in the bedroom and that can be had for about $150.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:

I picked Squeezebox because at the time I was in the market for an audio streamer (10+ years ago) Sonos did not exist.

If I was picking today it would be a toss-up, but Squeezebox is less expensive, and with the iPeng app for an iPhone or iPad it pretty much has similar capabilities to the Sonos.

Also, I have a Squeezebox Radio to allow playback of my music and for use as an alarm clock in the bedroom and that can be had for about $150.

Is this the squeezebox available nowadays?
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...ueezebox-touch
Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I installed a Radeon 6450 and it is able to get perfect 24P playback capability with only the "sync to display" option set. I get no frame drops during a 2+ hour movie and I get perfect HD audio with no dropouts. For the $45 I paid for the card it was not a hard decision to make.

The 6450 and 6450A are the same right? Just looking at the Lenovo Q180 here.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 6450 and 6450A are the same right? Just looking at the Lenovo Q180 here.

Yes, if you wanted an off the shelf unit that would probably fit the bill... although I have no idea how noisy it is and you will need to plug in a USB IR for remote control from a universal.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is this the squeezebox available nowadays?
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...ueezebox-touch

There are several models of Squeezebox currently available... and... we are getting seriously off topic now.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM

This Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 looks nice!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:

There are several models of Squeezebox currently available... and... we are getting seriously off topic now.

That is true... Sorry about that! lol
Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

While playing around last night I noticed that Vudu 3d collection is available on the Boxee Vudu app, has anyone tried it using Boxee?

I don't have my boxee connected to my 3d adapter and its not so easy to reconfigure my setup but, will probably want to get a diiferent hdmi switch if this actually works.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This Lenovo IdeaCentre Q180 looks nice!

It does indeed. Also, it looks like it can play 3D ISO's, either via a BD-ROM version or by just mounting the ISO.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The IdeaCentre Q180 (#31102BU w/4Gbs of DDR3) looks very interesting -- I would like to order one before the $369 promo price expires soon

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with this compact PC as far as it's ability to play BD content without choking (ie... BD ISOs and BD MKVs) - served over a wired Gb network mostly from a WHS and sometimes from a USB HDD connected to a W7 PC on the same wired network

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player