Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post

Do the M2TS files also present a problem? I though it was BD ISO or BD structure only, I'm wondering if M2TS/TS single files also have this issue. I always remux BDs to a single TS file keeping only 1 video and audio tracks.

I only have 3 M2TS files to test. All 3 played fine over WIFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsabrewulf View Post

What im asking is CAN this be fixed with updates? or is the issue in the hardware. I dont mind waiting for software updates I just dont want to buy this now and few months down the line there's a new revision of the hardware

Yes it is all firmware and software stuff but intel might have to help with sone of the fixes.
post #903 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Yes it is all firmware and software stuff but intel might have to help with sone of the fixes.

Dolby Digital True HD not bitstreaming is an Intel bug correct?
post #904 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM

After rooting the box and take a look at keyboard.xml I found out that you can bring back the old advanced codec info by using the USB keyboard and press LeftAlt-I during fullscreen playback..

Code:
CodecInfo
The filesystem is mounted as read-only so I could not modify the file..
post #905 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:05 AM

I owned a PCH A-110 for 2 years and I`ll say it played everything I threw at it for the most part. Let`s be realistic though. It had several issues that had to be fixed out of the gate.

MKV`s being a big problem on some of the early firmware, where you would get a black screen, or after playing an MKV once, you couldnt play others until you did had to shut it down, by pressing power off, then your delete key twice and hope it would power off. Then don`t forget to power it on by unplugging it and plugging it back in, because....they didn`t put a full power on feature on the device. Sometimes I`d play an MKV, get a black screen and the PCH would do a full reboot. I would get the same behavior when playing ISO`s.

Then there is the aspect of the GUI that was never once changed by PCH DEVs. Solely relying on the generous and talented community to do their work for them...even though mostly everyone complained how plain the UI was.

People talking about needing gigabit missing on Boxee puzzles me. The highest I ever saw the bandwidth go on DD-WRT while streaming was 5mbps.

The Popcorn Hour A-110 which was a great device had a lot of problems out of the gate as well. It was highly praised and anticipated before launch....just saying.

Don`t believe me.....look at all the fixes they pushed out 3 months after launch! - http://www.popcornhour.com/download/...ware-A110.html

I can`t speak for other units, as I`ve only tried PCH and Boxee, so far Boxee has been a similar experience as the A-110 launch, with similar complaints.

With Boxee Devs & Staff being quite visible, I expect changes to come much faster than what I experienced with the A-110.

I`ve found DVD`s ripped to MKV by the software MakeMKV all play with stutter and make playing any form of video after that unplayable unless a reboot takes place

If anybody wants to confirm this, a free download is available here - http://makemkv.com/
post #906 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoihazard View Post

I`ve found DVD`s ripped to MKV by the software MakeMKV all play with stutter and make playing any form of video after that unplayable unless a reboot takes place

If anybody wants to confirm this, a free download is available here - http://makemkv.com/

I cant speak for DVD but I used makemkv to convert previously stuttering and buffering BD-ISO's to mkv and they all play smoothly with HD audio enabled.
post #907 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I owned a PCH A-110 for 2 years and I`ll say it played everything I threw at it for the most part. Let`s be realistic though. It had several issues that had to be fixed out of the gate.

MKV`s being a big problem on some of the early firmware, where you would get a black screen, or after playing an MKV once, you couldnt play others until you did had to shut it down, by pressing power off, then your delete key twice and hope it would power off. Then don`t forget to power it on by unplugging it and plugging it back in, because....they didn`t put a full power on feature on the device. Sometimes I`d play an MKV, get a black screen and the PCH would do a full reboot. I would get the same behavior when playing ISO`s.

Then there is the aspect of the GUI that was never once changed by PCH DEVs. Solely relying on the generous and talented community to do their work for them...even though mostly everyone complained how plain the UI was.

People talking about needing gigabit missing on Boxee puzzles me. The highest I ever saw the bandwidth go on DD-WRT while streaming was 5mbps.

The Popcorn Hour A-110 which was a great device had a lot of problems out of the gate as well. It was highly praised and anticipated before launch....just saying.

Don`t believe me.....look at all the fixes they pushed out 3 months after launch! - http://www.popcornhour.com/download/...ware-A110.html

I can`t speak for other units, as I`ve only tried PCH and Boxee, so far Boxee has been a similar experience as the A-110 launch, with similar complaints.

With Boxee Devs & Staff being quite visible, I expect changes to come much faster than what I experienced with the A-110.

I don't think anyone has argued that other players have not had issues out of the gate (the PCH C200 being well documented as well). But does that mean the consumer should just expect the device to not work as promised? Isn't it time we as a community hold these guys up to higher standards? Also, none of the PCH products had quite the fanfare as the Boxee Box, which is why I think a lot of people were hoping things would be in working order right out of the gate. I am not saying the problems cannot be fixed and lets hope that the Boxee team's involvement here is a sign things will get fixed. But that also begs the question, what exactly were they testing prior to release? Why did they do a UI change at release instead of going with the UI everyone was testing? Why were no units made available to reviewers such as Anandtech beforehand which could have brought up the issues before release?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #908 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello696 View Post

Dolby Digital True HD not bitstreaming is an Intel bug correct?

Thats what has been said yes.....
post #909 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I don't think anyone has argued that other players have not had issues out of the gate (the PCH C200 being well documented as well). But does that mean the consumer should just expect the device to not work as promised? Isn't it time we as a community hold these guys up to higher standards? Also, none of the PCH products had quite the fanfare as the Boxee Box, which is why I think a lot of people were hoping things would be in working order right out of the gate. I am not saying the problems cannot be fixed and lets hope that the Boxee team's involvement here is a sign things will get fixed. But that also begs the question, what exactly were they testing prior to release? Why did they do a UI change at release instead of going with the UI everyone was testing? Why were no units made available to reviewers such as Anandtech beforehand which could have brought up the issues before release?

I agree with you on all points. Maybe it's a human "techie geek" condition that we want to have the cool stuff now and don't want to wait. The vendors know this and push something out for fear of another vendor beating them to sales, marketplace. They are aware of the bugs and know they can get them fixed in a reasonable amount of time and hope backlash won't be to great.
I think it was you who said in an earlier post that we seem to accept or expect these units will come out not delivering on go-live but don't want to believe it. I sure as hell would expect when I bought my 2K Samsung everything would work as advertised....and it did except for some DNLA flakiness.

I agree totally about the UI switch. That to me made no sense. You have all these people testing the "BETA" software only to throw them a massive curveball the day after they get the unit. I for one didn't like the original Boxee UI when I tried it. I only came back to checking it out when the "Whitley" UI was introduced. I really liked it, and was stoked this was going to be on the Boxee Box. I learned my way around it, then after the FW update...I'm like WTF?.....I don't mind the new UI, but dislike the local content hidden away. If they can either find a happy medium between the two or have an option to use the old skin....that may be problematic for developing though....I would guess?

I think it would be more beneficial to have these companies contact hardcore AVS enthusiasts and make them sign a NDA to run the unit through the ringer with different content. They could easily avoid a gong show on release if they have all the knowledge ahead of time.
post #910 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I think it would be more beneficial to have these companies contact hardcore AVS enthusiasts and make them sign a NDA to run the unit through the ringer with different content. They could easily avoid a gong show on release if they have all the knowledge ahead of time.

I do like this idea, I mean after all, we are now beta testers, why not beat us to the bunch and avoid the bad press

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #911 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

Avner Ronen Tweeted about the GUI/Local content - there 'might' be a slight change

What might? the tweet I saw said it would be changed - or 'fixed' was the word i think.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #912 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Ein
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Crazy? Why? The PopBoxes, Dunes, C200, and A200 have zero issues streaming a high bitrate BD ISO with a 100Mb/s interface. With my gigabit backbone I can stream three High bitrate BD ISOs concurrently to those devices from my WHS or INTEL NAS with zero issues.

I have no problem watching full stream BD on my $100 WDTV Live either.
post #913 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I do like this idea, I mean after all, we are now beta testers, why not beat us to the bunch and avoid the bad press

We offered to do this right after IDF, but they didn't take us up. In fact, we don't even publish reviews before giving the manufacturer a chance to explain / fix the issues (all under NDA). I am not really happy with Boxee for messing up two things:

(a) Doing beta testing like what Netgear is doing right now for NTV 550,
(b) Offering review units ahead of time (to get feedback and a chance to act on it)

Maybe Eli can give us some insight into what really happened inside Boxee (but, I am sure he has quite a number of technical issues to fix first).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #914 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MKV`s being a big problem on some of the early firmware, where you would get a black screen, or after playing an MKV once, you couldnt play others until you did had to shut it down, by pressing power off, then your delete key twice and hope it would power off. .....

Another problem appears to be that people think their files are all "correct" files, but that in fact some software generate files which don't quite follow the standards. So when a hardware manufacturer says it plays this kind of file, it does play that kind of file - but not the ones which deviate from the standards - then they have to code special exceptions to get that work because people think all files are the same.

But I guess the fact the CEO has been using his weekend answering tweets on twitter suggests that they care about fixing this quickly.

If a carpenter makes a door he should get money every time someone uses it - he's also an "artist".
post #915 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ein View Post

I have no problem watching full stream BD on my $100 WDTV Live either.

If only it passed the HD audio on to my receiver...
post #916 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSlow View Post

If only it passed the HD audio on to my receiver...

Mine does WDLIVE PLUS 5.1 and DTS
post #917 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Looks like Boxee Box power consumption is more efficient then we thought (20W):

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22177

Code:
Running a US Boxee Box on firmware v .9.21.14131 with no hard drive plugged in
Off: 0w
Standby: 12w
Idle: 13w
Playing networked 1080p h.264: 11w
post #918 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post

Mine does WDLIVE PLUS 5.1 and DTS

Neither of those are HD Audio, which is the lacking feature OldSlow was referring to. Dolby TrueHD, DTS MA, are what he's looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostXtreme View Post

Looks like Boxee Box power consumption is more efficient then we thought (20W):

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22177

Code:
Running a US Boxee Box on firmware v .9.21.14131 with no hard drive plugged in
Off: 0w
Standby: 12w
Idle: 13w
Playing networked 1080p h.264: 11w

I saw that. These numbers align closely with what someone earlier in this thread posted in the 12-15W range. I was surprised by the 1080p number.

I've just been leaving mine idle, so I guess I may switch to using standby for the minor savings.
post #919 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

I swear-every time a new gadget comes out and it uses a fan for cooling all people do is complain about how noisy it is. And no-don't want to trade. LOL!!

There is a reason they complain. It makes no sense to have a high-end setup which uses high quality video and audio components only to have the experience ruined by what amounts to a window air conditioner sitting under the TV. It is possible to have video components that use fans without ruining the experience. But you don't skimp on the quality of the fan and you make sure that it will not be distracting. There are enough people who have commented on the fan now in both positive and negative ways. That means the quality control isn't there. Given that you have this running 24/7 you really don't want a cheap part that will only get louder over time. In any case, I will be returning mine and probably won't bother with the other one that arrives tomorrow. Maybe the next iteration of the unit will be passively cooled, as they had originally planned.

Perhaps in the US there might be a reason to put up with the noise, given the streaming capabilities of the unit, but in Canada I can't see a case for it.

Philip
post #920 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arswhat View Post

But I guess the fact the CEO has been using his weekend answering tweets on twitter suggests that they care about fixing this quickly.

I don't think he has any choice really, as he must see that the prospect of all that development money going down the drain real fast , in this business you usually only get a 4-5 week window (even less in the Xmas season) to fix a repuation , before another new box hits the market "that just works" right out of the box - there are players that have been released this year in the same price range as Boxee , that do exactly this , so it can be done if care is taken.Usually, these are firms that do not create hype in advance and often slip under the radar..

All these players are under some stage of development , but there is a HUGE difference between a box being released with all the advertised features working (and then others being added in the coming months) , and one that does not do what it says on the box (on day of release) , and then the company has to play catch-up for the next few months fixing issues.

post #921 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think it's strange that the Boxee Box has no problem playing my high bitrate files but stutters when I play DVD rips. I wonder if the Intel chipset is having trouble with DVD progressive flags and deinterlacing?

post #922 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
Unfortunately the software industry has a common practice of "sell and repent". This is a practice for businesses of all sizes. I hope reviews don't hold back on their criticism. At this point, all we can do is hope for quick fixes else return the units and express our anger.

No company has ever launched a media player that has worked according to specs. I hope Netgear customers will escape the fate of others.

I have to give credit to Dune for being the first to get their product performing according to high level specs. It took months to get it right but they handily beat out the competition. I say Dune deserves to be named Media Player Product of the Year while Boxee gets the goatsee award.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #923 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

No company has ever launched a media player that has worked according to specs. I hope Netgear customers will escape the fate of others.

To be fair, Nixeus have come very , very close to this..

post #924 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Playback issues are obviously a big concern, but they need to fix scraping big time (and I don't just mean local file support). I have a folder on my WHS full of TV shows. They are all named according to Boxee standards and, for the most part, scrape perfectly. What I can't figure out is an isolated issue with Top Gear. I have all 15 seasons, named using the same convention, all organized like this: WHS\\TV\\Top Gear\\Season xx\\SxxExx . Boxee perfectly scrapes seasons 1-8 and 14-15, but skips 9-13 completely...these files do not appear in the Top Gear folder nor in the unidentified folder. I can access and play these files just fine from the standard file browser. I've done a factory reset and it still refuses to allocate these files anywhere which makes no logical sense.

Additionally, telling the box to scan is essentially useless as it doesn't seems to do it immediately or sometimes it just doesn't do anything at all. This happened with the PC version as well and I was hoping it would be improved with the hardware box.
post #925 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 02:45 PM

i just did another factory reset and did not update to v1.0. everything i've tried playing from my local network has played without stuttering, dual images or image retention. i'm still getting the occasional blank screen with audio but hitting ffw (one press on the d pad) brings the video up and everything is fine after that. with one exception these are all SD dvd rips - the exception is a 720p file and it played fine for the 15 minutes i watched it.

v0.9 scanned my network much faster than v1.0 ever did and is populating the thumbnails for each movie and tv show much faster. it is still however not picking everything up and showing it in the movies menu even though naming conventions are correct and they are showing up under files.

issues i'm having: none of the online tv shows i've tried watching from the tv shows menu have worked. i get audio but no video.

adjusting volume with the remote works for audio and video apps but doesn't work for files over my network.

this is after roughly an hour of testing. it's not perfect but for now i'm sticking with v0.9 until a new update is pushed out to test. v1.0 is completely unusable for me.
post #926 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

I think it's strange that the Boxee Box has no problem playing my high bitrate files but stutters when I play DVD rips. I wonder if the Intel chipset is having trouble with DVD progressive flags and deinterlacing?

You actually bring up an interesting point here. I've been having constant buffering problems with my local videos, which are in 480i and 1080i format. By "stuttering" do you mean buffering? Or just skipping parts of the video? My videos in progressive format videos seem to play fine, so I wonder if the buffering issue has to do with Boxee performing deinterlacing (although the buffering problem still occurs irrespective of whether I have the box set to 1080i or 720p output).
post #927 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Perhaps in the US there might be a reason to put up with the noise, given the streaming capabilities of the unit, but in Canada I can't see a case for it.

Philip

Sigh.. go to http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php
purchase the $39.99 package
Then use the settings in the VPN portion of the Boxee Box or if you have a router that allows VPN settings like the dlink dir-655 use these settings.

Login to your router, go to Setup, then Manual Internet Connection Setup.
Change Internet Connection to PPTP
Address Mode
: Dynamic
PPTP Server IP Address: you ping the witopia server you want to use and enter the address it gives you. pptp.ewr.witopia.net is new-york, ping it and it will show 70.32.45.253, you would enter that for the IP address.
List of PPTP Witopia servers: http://wiki.personalvpn.net/wiki/Sel...ervice_Gateway

Enter your witopia username and password
Click on Clone PC's Mac Address
For DNS use one of witopia's
Witopia offers the following DNS addresses:

38.119.98.220 (Northern Virginia, USA)
91.216.105.75 (Manchester, GB)
203.131.247.198 (Hong Kong, China)
216.93.191.228 (California, USA)

Reboot the router and you won't have to worry about being in Canada
post #928 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Some of my bd isos say file unavailable when I try to play them? Why? Do I need to do a factory reset? I may want to try the reset and the 0.9 firmware, is it done with the power button on top of the box or on the remote?
post #929 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Ein
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmotoy View Post

Neither of those are HD Audio, which is the lacking feature OldSlow was referring to. Dolby TrueHD, DTS MA, are what he's looking for.

I saw that. These numbers align closely with what someone earlier in this thread posted in the 12-15W range. I was surprised by the 1080p number.

I've just been leaving mine idle, so I guess I may switch to using standby for the minor savings.

I guess dimming the logo while playing saved one watt.
post #930 of 9713 Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Has anyone had success with a USB mouse? I can't get my wireless Microsoft mouse to work (works with all of my computers).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page