Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #9271 of 9720 Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I love boxes box but there are two things that suck
1) no amazon on demand
2) no ir remote that works reasonably well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9720 Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

No, because my primary use is streaming full bitrate MKV files created from original BD discs. From my last look into Plex it was not really the right solution for that kind of thing.

With XBMC and the right video card I can stream full 1080P at 23.976 with HD audio and get extremely good performance. I stream everything from a Synology NAS as I don't want to invest in another server.

That's my main problem with Plex as well.

I picked up a Mac Mini for some short-term contracting work, but when it's done with that it's my new HTPC. If you boot to Windows, you can bitstream the HD audio codecs without issue. So I'm off to a HTPC with XBMC as well.

Still love Spotify on Boxee, though. That'll ensure it has a place in the entertainment center for a while to come.
post #9273 of 9720 Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Interesting article on missing remote:

http://www.missingremote.com/news/20...t-200000-units

Quote:

I was a bit surprised when D-Link announced their new MovieNite media streamer the other day. After all, doesn't D-Link sell the Boxee Box? At $200, the Boxee Box is obviously targeted at a different market than the $50 MovieNite, but I would have expected D-Link to work with the Boxee team on producing a more limited version of the Boxee Box for introductory price points. However, a recent tweet from Boxee reveals one possible reason why D-Link may not have felt much incentive to build out the Boxee brand for new devices and markets. At the moment, Boxee is only reporting about 200,000 Boxee Box users. Undoubtedly some percentage of Boxee Box users are not going online and thus are not being included in Boxee's count of users, but it is unlikely that this constitutes a particularly large percentage, which means that D-Link and Boxee have only sold in the neighborhood of 200,000 Boxee Box units. The media streamer market has proven to be a tough nut to crack, but at 200,000 units, the Boxee Box is still going to be way down the list. Making the possible sales numbers even more disheartening is the acknowledgement that the defunct Boxee for PC software is evidently rocking 10 times as many users as the Boxee Box that the Boxee team has decided to concentrate all of its attention on.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #9274 of 9720 Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Making the possible sales numbers even more disheartening is the acknowledgement that the defunct Boxee for PC software is evidently rocking 10 times as many users as the Boxee Box that the Boxee team has decided to concentrate all of its attention on.

Maybe that's because it works a lot better than the Boxee itself?
post #9275 of 9720 Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Maybe that's because it works a lot better than the Boxee itself?

I'll take the Boxee Box version over the Pc version any day. Although I do have it on most of my PCs.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9276 of 9720 Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post

Avner did last week in a fireside chat see boxee web site. He indicated that the
HD Audio fix would not be comming.

Intel never delivered the updated SDK with the fix,and he didn't think they would.

Buz

I can't find this latest fireside chat. Can anyone point me to it. All I can find is the video from February.
post #9277 of 9720 Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 12
post #9278 of 9720 Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

http://www.spreecast.com/events/boxeechat

Thanks!
post #9279 of 9720 Old 04-21-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Guys,
I have my BB set for daily scan my shared network movies file. I had 747 movies yesterday. Today, it only shows 547. Nothing changes on my movies file. Manually rescan did not help. Any idea on what I need to do to get the 200 movies back? Thanks.
post #9280 of 9720 Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Guys,
I have my BB set for daily scan my shared network movies file. I had 747 movies yesterday. Today, it only shows 547. Nothing changes on my movies file. Manually rescan did not help. Any idea on what I need to do to get the 200 movies back? Thanks.

Did you try rebooting? I have not encountered this before with any of my boxes. Even if one of the shares isn't accessible on the network, the boxes still show a correct count of all my titles. And most of my shares are set for hourly scanning.

post #9281 of 9720 Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I did reboot but did not help. Is there an advantage of an hourly scan over daily? Also I leave my BB on all the time and it usually freeze the next day that requires a reboot. Do you guys have this same problem? Thanks.
post #9282 of 9720 Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I did reboot but did not help. Is there an advantage of an hourly scan over daily? Also I leave my BB on all the time and it usually freeze the next day that requires a reboot. Do you guys have this same problem? Thanks.

I don't leave any of my boxes on. I only turn them on when I'm ready to use them. Although once they are on I won't turn them off for several hours.

I use hourly scanning for the shares that I add content to regularly. I use daily scan for my shares that I rarely add content to or don't plan on adding any more content. I leave them on daily in case I do change something in a folder like cover art or an NFO. If I only had it on scan once then I would probably forget to scan it after I make some changes.

post #9283 of 9720 Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I do not leave mine on, I turn it off following every use. I find leaving it on is hit or miss as far as having trouble so to be sure I just turn it off. I have noticed that I lose previously identified files on occasion but never as many as 200. I believe the loss follows scans so I only rescan manually when I feel the need to do so. Generally if I happen to add one or two new movies I just manually identify them at that time. I think you need to delete the data base and do a fresh scan and after that I would recommend against scanning too often and see if the problem of losing movie persists. I know it's supposed to occur in the background but that has not always been the case for me.
post #9284 of 9720 Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink View Post

Generally if I happen to add one or two new movies I just manually identify them at that time.

I rebooted and rescan one more time then i had to leave the house. When i got back, all my movies are back. Weird! I will set it to never scan and scan it manually when adding new movie(s).
So if you add one or two movies daily or weekly, where do you manually scan it? In the movie, the button on top right? Or in file menu/rescan? Not understand about your 'manually identify them at that time' statement. Thanks.
Also, when you turn the BB on after off, do you loose some movies? Like i asked earlier, i have my BB on all time and have it scan daily to find out i loose 200 identified movies the next day. Thanks again.
post #9285 of 9720 Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I rebooted and rescan one more time then i had to leave the house. When i got back, all my movies are back. Weird! I will set it to never scan and scan it manually when adding new movie(s).
So if you add one or two movies daily or weekly, where do you manually scan it? In the movie, the button on top right? Or in file menu/rescan? Not understand about your 'manually identify them at that time' statement. Thanks.
Also, when you turn the BB on after off, do you loose some movies? Like i asked earlier, i have my BB on all time and have it scan daily to find out i loose 200 identified movies the next day. Thanks again.

Glad to hear they are back. To manually scan you need to use the 'File' menu to browse to the new movie's location. Once you select it from the list you can click on it and then either play it or left click over to a menu option that will let you identify the movie. A box comes up and most of the time the movie name is filled in already, but if the movie is in a Blu-Ray style folder you have to type it in. Then right click over to the search (I think that's what it's called) and it will search for the movie and come back with a list of names with dates. Choose the right one and click on it and it will integrate the movie metadata into your movie data base with the thumbnail and info there when you use the 'Movie' menu. You can use this to correct mis-identified movies too.

I don't lose movies turning the box all the way off but when you boot back up and then choose the movie menu, depending on the size of your library, it can take awhile to regather the thumbnails maybe 30 seconds or 1 minute. The actual movie data stays intact until you delete it. I think just the cover art has to be retrieved each time you boot up. If you use nfo files and folder.jpg it probably goes faster but I haven't done that yet and don't really know how well they work.
post #9286 of 9720 Old 04-22-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink View Post

Glad to hear they are back. To manually scan you need to use the 'File' menu to browse to the new movie's location. Once you select it from the list you can click on it and then either play it or left click over to a menu option that will let you identify the movie. A box comes up and most of the time the movie name is filled in already, but if the movie is in a Blu-Ray style folder you have to type it in. Then right click over to the search (I think that's what it's called) and it will search for the movie and come back with a list of names with dates. Choose the right one and click on it and it will integrate the movie metadata into your movie data base with the thumbnail and info there when you use the 'Movie' menu. You can use this to correct mis-identified movies too.

I don't lose movies turning the box all the way off but when you boot back up and then choose the movie menu, depending on the size of your library, it can take awhile to regather the thumbnails maybe 30 seconds or 1 minute. The actual movie data stays intact until you delete it. I think just the cover art has to be retrieved each time you boot up. If you use nfo files and folder.jpg it probably goes faster but I haven't done that yet and don't really know how well they work.

I use my own cover art and NFOs that were created with Ember. Most of my cover art is cached so it shows up quickly. I have over 1100 pieces of cover art in the movie section. Even when my servers are off and there is no way to access the cover art, the Boxee Boxes will still show the vast majority of my cover art. For the ones it doesn't show, there is just a gray rectangle where the cover art would be.

post #9287 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 AM

I've created a petition for Intel to release updated SDK so Boxee can resolve outstanding issues. However I'm unable to post URLs until I've posted at least three posts.
post #9288 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM

An updated SDK from Intel is required so Boxee can fix the following issues:
  • HD Audio drop out
  • newer version of flash
  • 3TB drive support
  • Non-US Netflix apps
post #9289 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 AM

A lot of signatures will undoubtedly be required to hopefully make this happen. There are over 200,000 boxee box users.
post #9290 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
I'm not the originating author of this petition or post. All credit goes to innovativevsregressive for his post at http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.ph...304#post270304. Please take the time to sign this petition if you would like to see Netflix in the UK, 3tb+ HDD support, HD audio dropouts fixed, or any SDK25 related issues fixed.

The stickied boxee forum thread can be found at http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=61451

The Petition can be found at http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...0-chipset.html

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _______________________________

innovativevsregressive

Just created a petition for Intel to release the new SDK that is "active but awaiting approval"

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...0-chipset.html

Please sign and let Intel know about it.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/intelsmarttv
Twitter: @intelsmarttv

Thank you
post #9291 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM

post #9292 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfodiz View Post

I'm not the originating author of this petition or post. All credit goes to innovativevsregressive for his post at http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.ph...304#post270304. Please take the time to sign this petition if you would like to see Netflix in the UK, 3tb+ HDD support, HD audio dropouts fixed, or any SDK25 related issues fixed.

The stickied boxee forum thread can be found at http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=61451

innovativevsregressive

Just created a petition for Intel to release the new SDK that is "active but awaiting approval"

Please sign and let Intel know about it.

Thank you

Ah, just beat me to it.

Thank you.
post #9293 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Signed. Only 74 signatures so far. Kinda low. When did the petition start?
post #9294 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Signed. Only 74 signatures so far. Kinda low. When did the petition start?

Late last night. If you know of any other sites to post this petition link on please do so as we need all the signatures we can get.
post #9295 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM

84 as of now. Not too bad for such a short period but we need a lot more. If you haven't signed I urge you to do so, its easy and only takes a few moments.
post #9296 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Just signed as #96. I just want the HD audio issue fixed.
post #9297 of 9720 Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
#108 signed
post #9298 of 9720 Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionvsreality View Post

Please sign the petition at

Thread for petition on Boxee forums:

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=61451

Petition signed. Spread the word guys.

post #9299 of 9720 Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Could anyone check whether the Boxee can play video from this website?

http://www.vtc.com.vn

My sincere thanks,
post #9300 of 9720 Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

"Intel never delivered the updated SDK with the fix,and he didn't think they would."

That makes no sense to me, how can Intel just refuse to do that? Is it because Boxee wont pay or what? They should sue them.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page