Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #9721 of 9735 Old 01-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Unhappy Boxee Box Movie & TV show identification is DEAD as of 1/25

Boxee Box Movie & TV show identification feature is DEAD as of 1/25

It appears that DLink has turned off the servers that served Boxee Boxes search for identifying Movies, TV shows or Music when stored on your attached NAS or some such method you use to serve those modalities for Boxee Box to play from.

We knew this was coming at some point after DLink killed the product 3 or 4 years ago. It is a shame in that Boxee Box is still the King of this fully purposeful media center short of using a big clunky X-Box. CrAppleTV, Roku, ChromeCast, Amazon Fire TV etc can't hold a match to the total versatility that Boxee Box had. Sorry, you can claim all you want about how great others are at doing streaming internet video you pay for or get free, NOTHING was or is as well-rounded versitile at Boxee Box was (like displaying movie or TV Show art, information, ratings, summary, etc).

I remember some big talker on one of these forums claiming that he was copying the Boxee Box servers for the day that DLink shut theirs down, but apparently the big talk is cheap and I've seen nothing mentioned about this is a good 18 months.

It's also a shame that Boxee Hacks+ stopped after the initial release, I think that creative crew could have figured out a way for Boxee Box to access IMDb to do what the DLink servers have quite doing - Identify Movies, TV shows and Music. Or at least find a way we could enter it manually with the RF keypad.

If anyone knows of work-around's please pipe up. I have 3 running Boxee Boxes I covet and would love to keep "active" for our home theater.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9735 Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@jazzdj , you sound like no one will ever talk you out of your BB. I owned one for years until it bite the dust. If how ever you get to the point where you are ready to change please give the Nvidia Shield Android TV a try, I do belive you will not be sorry. It can do everything that BB can do and is more user friendly. You will not regret it.
dan4081 and pittsoccer33 like this.

Nothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right! Sony XBR55X850C Android TV (2015) Nvidia Shield android Tv Bose V35 (I know I know, you guys think Bose suck but I found the forum after I bought it) Ouya, PS4 Pro, PS3, Amazon Fire stick
post #9723 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdj View Post
Boxee Box Movie & TV show identification feature is DEAD as of 1/25

It appears that DLink has turned off the servers that served Boxee Boxes search for identifying Movies, TV shows or Music when stored on your attached NAS or some such method you use to serve those modalities for Boxee Box to play from.

We knew this was coming at some point after DLink killed the product 3 or 4 years ago. It is a shame in that Boxee Box is still the King of this fully purposeful media center short of using a big clunky X-Box. CrAppleTV, Roku, ChromeCast, Amazon Fire TV etc can't hold a match to the total versatility that Boxee Box had. Sorry, you can claim all you want about how great others are at doing streaming internet video you pay for or get free, NOTHING was or is as well-rounded versitile at Boxee Box was (like displaying movie or TV Show art, information, ratings, summary, etc).

I remember some big talker on one of these forums claiming that he was copying the Boxee Box servers for the day that DLink shut theirs down, but apparently the big talk is cheap and I've seen nothing mentioned about this is a good 18 months.

It's also a shame that Boxee Hacks+ stopped after the initial release, I think that creative crew could have figured out a way for Boxee Box to access IMDb to do what the DLink servers have quite doing - Identify Movies, TV shows and Music. Or at least find a way we could enter it manually with the RF keypad.

If anyone knows of work-around's please pipe up. I have 3 running Boxee Boxes I covet and would love to keep "active" for our home theater.
So does that mean my two Boxee's are now just paper weights? If I try and view my TV/Movies from my NAS they won't let me? Or just that you can't add new media?

Either way, that's sort of paper weight territory

post #9724 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
So does that mean my two Boxee's are now just paper weights? If I try and view my TV/Movies from my NAS they won't let me? Or just that you can't add new media?

Either way, that's sort of paper weight territory
you'll still be able view all your content, it just won't identify that content using dlink servers.
you can still use .nfo files to id your stuff, the servers coming down doesn't mean you have no way of getting metadata about your content.

Technics SL-D202 | Sonos Connect | Synology NAS
Outlaw Audio RR2150 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 | Senn HD 598 SE | Senn Momentum | Sonos Play:1
FiiO X3 II | Nexus 5x | Trinity Sabre | Trinity Atlas | Trinity Delta | Fidue A73
post #9725 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
If anyone knows of work-around's please pipe up.
.nfo files.

Technics SL-D202 | Sonos Connect | Synology NAS
Outlaw Audio RR2150 | Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 | Senn HD 598 SE | Senn Momentum | Sonos Play:1
FiiO X3 II | Nexus 5x | Trinity Sabre | Trinity Atlas | Trinity Delta | Fidue A73
post #9726 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartomar2002 View Post
@jazzdj , you sound like no one will ever talk you out of your BB. I owned one for years until it bite the dust. If how ever you get to the point where you are ready to change please give the Nvidia Shield Android TV a try, I do belive you will not be sorry. It can do everything that BB can do and is more user friendly. You will not regret it.
I've read up on the Nvidia and it falls very short of the total capability as a media center that BB was. Nvidia Shield Android TV doesn't "catalog" my NAS server filled with movies, TV shows, Music, etc as BB did until recently. Granted that BB isn't 2K or 4K, but it was able to read nearly every movie, show or music file type you could throw at it from your own NAS and could read from either of 2- USB ports and one SD Card slot which the Nvidia Shield Android TV just lost in it's latest version. BB has a full Keyboard remote on the opposite site of the navigation control side and Nvidia Shield Android TV does not. If I want a "Game Station" the XBox or Playstation far excels over the Nvidia Shield Android TV ..... but I want / need a media "interpreter/player" to my NAS that can also play online material, not a little bit of this and a little bit of that compromise as the Nvidia is as I read about it. If I wanted a pure online server, nothing beats the Ruku, period. Sorry, but the Nvidia Shield Android TV is not a comparable replacement for the Boxee Box. A Raspberry Pi running XBMC Media Center of some flavor, even installing it on BB, is a better solution to BB as it has been left.

Pic - XBMC running on a Boxee Box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxee_box_xbmc-800x600.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1930913  
post #9727 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post
.nfo files.

I've always used .nfo files for ripped movies and TV shows, it's not working with those either.
post #9728 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 11:05 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6416 Post(s)
Liked: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by lartomar2002 View Post
I didn't think the Shield handled ISOs? 99% of the content I used with my three Boxee Boxes was from BD ISOs. Although I haven't used them in a long time. I use my POPCORN Hour C200, A400s, and VTEN most of the time. And occasionally my Netgear media player which has full BD menus like my C200 does.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9729 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I've read up on the Nvidia and it falls very short of the total capability as a media center that BB was. Nvidia Shield Android TV doesn't "catalog" my NAS server filled with movies, TV shows, Music, etc as BB did until recently. Granted that BB isn't 2K or 4K, but it was able to read nearly every movie, show or music file type you could throw at it from your own NAS and could read from either of 2- USB ports and one SD Card slot which the Nvidia Shield Android TV just lost in it's latest version. BB has a full Keyboard remote on the opposite site of the navigation control side and Nvidia Shield Android TV does not. If I want a "Game Station" the XBox or Playstation far excels over the Nvidia Shield Android TV ..... but I want / need a media "interpreter/player" to my NAS that can also play online material, not a little bit of this and a little bit of that compromise as the Nvidia is as I read about it. If I wanted a pure online server, nothing beats the Ruku, period. Sorry, but the Nvidia Shield Android TV is not a comparable replacement for the Boxee Box. A Raspberry Pi running XBMC Media Center of some flavor, even installing it on BB, is a better solution to BB as it has been left.

Pic - XBMC running on a Boxee Box
I think you are missing what the others were trying to get at in their above posts to you.

With the Shield you can also run XBMC (now called Kodi btw) and it will catalog all your media like the BB used to.
The Shield with XBMC (Kodi) will read from your NAS, stream online content from most all providers, and is a more powerful box than your BB was.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #9730 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
I think you are missing what the others were trying to get at in their above posts to you.

With the Shield you can also run XBMC (now called Kodi btw) and it will catalog all your media like the BB used to.

The Shield with XBMC (Kodi) will read from your NAS, stream online content from most all providers, and is a more powerful box than your BB was.

Yeah...the Chromebox I got a couple years ago set up with Kodi is much better than my Boxee was.
post #9731 of 9735 Old 01-30-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
Yeah...the Chromebox I got a couple years ago set up with Kodi is much better than my Boxee was.
Agreed! The chromebox is an excellent Kodi/XBMC box.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #9732 of 9735 Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4810 Post(s)
Liked: 4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I didn't think the Shield handled ISOs? 99% of the content I used with my three Boxee Boxes was from BD ISOs. Although I haven't used them in a long time. I use my POPCORN Hour C200, A400s, and VTEN most of the time. And occasionally my Netgear media player which has full BD menus like my C200 does.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kodi does allow for "some" BR Menu playback via ISO. It's not perfect and still a low priority but for non bdjava movies Ive played menus just fine. If menus don't matter then Kodi will play isos w/o them as well. I retired my A400 and went full time android box with Kodi and have been very happy thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9733 of 9735 Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I believe the BB used a modified form of XBMC back in the day, so using Kodi pretty much gets you everything the BB did.

The menu support for bd-ISO is called "BD Lite" and it attempts to figure out the menu system from the resources on the disc. It works on older discs where the menus were standardized, but more modern discs use heavily customized java menus where it doesn't work anymore. But it can guess the playlist which works a good number of times, unless you're looking at Lionsgate ones with playlist obfuscation that return a million possible playlists, and picking the longest playlist doesn't work anymore.
post #9734 of 9735 Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4810 Post(s)
Liked: 4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I believe the BB used a modified form of XBMC back in the day, so using Kodi pretty much gets you everything the BB did.

The menu support for bd-ISO is called "BD Lite" and it attempts to figure out the menu system from the resources on the disc. It works on older discs where the menus were standardized, but more modern discs use heavily customized java menus where it doesn't work anymore. But it can guess the playlist which works a good number of times, unless you're looking at Lionsgate ones with playlist obfuscation that return a million possible playlists, and picking the longest playlist doesn't work anymore.

They are working on bdjava menus, it's only really a recent addition and the last I saw work was slowly progressing last summer. It might have stalled out however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9735 of 9735 Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The king is dead!

THE KING IS DEAD!

Loved the boxee, was way ahead of it's time and showed so much promise. After loading a punchy NUC with Kodi and Plex to interface with my 60TB media server a few years ago, there was no looking back. Still, the boxee deserves much respect... RIP
aaronwt, jazzdj and makaman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page