Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

My calibrated SXRD TV has a very good picture and I've been pleased with the PQ of the Boxee Box.

What content is looking good to you on your sxrd tv?? regular dvd's or bd iso??
BD qualilty is fine, no issues, we were discussing regular dvd content...
dvd quality is actually bad WHEN compared to PB or the wd tv live plus. But no complains on the bd quality...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Joined and submitted my first bug. Thanks for the link to the Boxee dashboard.

post #993 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

I tried to play with the resolution/settings(I have vizio 60 inch tv)
match screen refresh rate to video.- checked.
480p
720p 50hz
720p
576p
1080i
1080p 50hz
1080p
1080i 50hz

unchecked match screen refresh rate to video
480p
720p 50hz getting no signal
1080i
1080p 50hz not staying going back to 1080i
1080p

when i select dtv on my tv, it always says no signal!!
Never happenned in these 3 1/2 yrs on this tv, I can select tv(sd stuff) i can see some channels, rgb works, hdm1, component all work, just the dtv which i use to see ota channels, only this does not work!!
Not sure what to do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

ok thanks. I spent lot of time today, figuring/correcting hdmi handshake problems. I took out all components connected to tv/receiver and put them back one by one, now i get back my ota hd channels, PB via receiver, BB hooked to hdm2 and some other stuff...

ok, this morning i am back to no signal on all like tv/hdmi1/2/3/4.
I connected BB directly to tv via hdmi and powered both tv and BB, don't see anything. Not sure if BB is causing the hdmi hand shake issues...
will have to test out more after i am back at home in the evening...
post #994 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

but its decoding the trueHd correctly. I a/b'd this title and its working fine. There currently implimentaiton will work fine for most movies but the current implimenation doesn't do higher sampling rates and 24 bit audio based on reports here and a guestimate of the open library that they are using for TrueHD decode.

so clearly bitstream is desirable considering the lack of a full implimentation of TrueHD.

I also tested dolby digital plus and there is 0 support for that. no audio at all......

I expect bugs but when Eli comes here and tells us something is going to work at launch and it becomes very clear they DID NOT test this it certainly diminshes my perception of boxee. I was expecting better and have been sorely let down.

Its still way better than the logitech revue but thats not saying much. If it weren't for amazons return policy I would just send it back and buy another later.

Hi Sean - DD+ should be working (both decoded on the box and bitstreamed) and we tested with that fairly extensively. Can you give me a bit more info on what you are seeing?

Thanks

former engineer @ boxee
post #995 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcello696 View Post

Regarding fan noise:

I power off the BB at night and the past two mornings when I power it on the fan is very loud. If I power off the BB and power it back on the fan is whisper quiet.

Not sure what could be causing this but its a problem.

Observations from the wife and kids after a few days:

Cover art needs to be stored locally. My wife and kids have already become annoyed with not being able to scroll to their favorite tv show and not have the cover art show up. Allow the cover art to be stored offline via USB drive or SD card.

Local content and music needs to available on the home screen. My wife and kids are having a hard time finding locally stored content.

All online content needs to go full screen by default and the mouse pointer does not disappear. When the kids are watching SpongeBob, it starts small and they have no idea how to make it fullscreen. When I am watching something on TwiT, the mouse pointer stays in the center of the screen and does not go away.

I traded emails with Avner over the weekend and I addressed these issues plus all of the already documented bugs that we have discussed on this forum and at the Boxee forum. I told him that if had to write a review today, it would be a C+ at best and in its current state I could not recommend the Boxee Box.

The BB is a great piece of hardware with a lot of potential but the 1.x software has been a step back from what we had with the beta and the current bugs will crush them in the mainstream media and take away all of the momentum they have built.

Great post and you summarize what most of us want fixed quickly. Without Netflix or Hulu, the BB will be dead in the water with the mainstream in its current state. Of all the people I know, perhaps two of them would tolerate the box in its current state, waiting for updates to improve the experience. Everyone else would dump it immediately for a much less expensive WDTV or AppleTV and I would not blame for it. As has been said, Boxee has genuine potential and I'm rooting for them, but technology moves quickly and I won't wait forever.

Boxee should kiss Amazon's feet for offering such a generous holiday return policy. I know many of us would have otherwise boxed them up already.
post #996 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Please go vote for .NFO suppport if you want it.

http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-4303

It only has 9 votes. I know there has to be more people than this that want this feature.
post #997 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmotion View Post

It only has 9 votes. I know there has to be more people than this that want this feature.

Done.

I'd encourage everyone with issues to submit bugs to the Boxee dashboard listed earlier. I submitted my m4v bug and they have already reproduced it on their end. Here's hoping it gets fixed soon.

post #998 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

I know I said that I liked my Boxee Box but I had a lot of issues with-back it went and I replaced it with a PCH A200-must say it does what is needed with less issues than the BB. Seems to me that the A200 is a more mature product than the BB-at least it isn't a Popbox, that thing was a walking disaster. I know its from Sybas but it seems to work for me.
post #999 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Cover art needs to be stored locally. My wife and kids have already become annoyed with not being able to scroll to their favorite tv show and not have the cover art show up. Allow the cover art to be stored offline via USB drive or SD card.

I have probably brought this up a few times but cover art storage should be optioned that includes the network along with a USB device or SD card. Again, this is critical if you have more than one Boxee Box as storing each copy of your cover art on an SD card or USB device is redundant for some of us. Mine resides in each folder where I store my ISO's on my network. Moving it all to each Boxee Box and then maintaining it would be a big pain in the butt.
post #1000 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by tally999 View Post

I have probably brought this up a few times but cover art storage should be optioned that includes the network along with a USB device or SD card. Again, this is critical if you have more than one Boxee Box as storing each copy of your cover art on an SD card or USB device is redundant for some of us. Mine resides in each folder where I store my ISO's on my network. Moving it all to each Boxee Box and then maintaining it would be a big pain in the butt.

Agreed, reading the covers off a network drive plus support for nfo would allow you to maintain one "Boxee" database instead of individual library databases on each box. Probably the best option is that if you set the Boxee Box to gather local metadata/art instead of scraping, and then once done Boxee Box could cache this internally (either SD card, attached thumb drive, etc...) for optimal performance.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #1001 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Maybe you should wait for the professional reviews from Anand, etc, who will run a battery of IQ tests before pronouncing judgement on a product you have not even tried out for yourself.

Frankly your popping in here with the Boxee Box bashing is getting pretty old. Some of us think the IQ of this box is quite good. My calibrated SXRD TV has a very good picture and I've been pleased with the PQ of the Boxee Box.

We already know that this is not the box for you based on your relentless bashing of its lack of source direct and other features that you require.

Good luck with the Netgear, I'm sure it wiill launch with zero issues.

Thank for the heads up on the anand review. I was under the impression their reviews are the usual blah blah. No idea they did tests. Just to make sure we're on the same page here's a link of test results I'm after: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image.../benchmark.gif
and the text that goes with them:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...-.html?start=3
I will not comment on your sxrd or assesment of boxee picture quality. Best of luck with your purchase.

@csrini1
bd quality is always pretty good. The reason for this is that the player doesn't do any deinterlacing/scaling/pulldown/framerate conversion/etc. since the signal is already stored and outputted as 1080p23.976. If you take away any post processing a player costing $100 and one costing 10 times that will have very similar image quality when viewing bd films.
This is not true of concert or documentary blu-rays which are encoded at 1080i. This is where the more expensive players shine and the cheaper ones show how terrible they really are.
Dvds while much lower quality that bds are tremendously difficult for players to get right compared to blu-ray. A player that is outstanding on blu-rays can be terrible on dvds but a player that does dvd well will certainly do blu-ray well.

@anyone complaining about the fan
cheap 30mm high rpm fan + tiny plastic box designed and engineered to be passively cooled, you do the math
post #1002 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Some of you guys are VERY, VERY naive thinking that the Boxee team was unaware that v1.0 is a steaming pile of droppings. The software was rushed out at the 11th hour to meet contractual obligations. How else can you explain the fact that something so obvious like subs being auto-on by default slip through. My wife, who knows nothing about gadgets, asked me after I played the the third test video last week for her why the subs are on in all the videos I play. Really, BB apologists?!?! Come on, this thing was NOT tested one bit and Avner and Co. knew all along there'd be a sheetstorm immediately after release, but he knew there'd be an even bigger sheetstorm if that v1.0 premium content centric crap was not pushed to the boxes by lasted Thursday (i.e., D-Link hit squads would be sent in from mainland China). Like I said in another post, I GUARANTEE you that a lot of this crap will be fixed in an update that will come out at the end of this week -- it has to, otherwise BB will have failed, as the Amazon/B&M return rate will increase exponentially over the next couple of weeks. Of course, this begs the question, what in jeebus' name was Boxee doing the past year?!?!?! Oh yeah, building up hype, and then realizing in the last month that they actually need to build a software product. EPIC FAILURE that can only be rescued if update comes out this week.
post #1003 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmotion View Post

How do you vote? I do not see any obvious way to vote. May be I am missing something?
post #1004 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a931048 View Post

How do you vote? I do not see any obvious way to vote. May be I am missing something?

You'll probably have to create an account and log in to vote.

post #1005 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a931048 View Post

Once you register click on the more actions pull down to select vote.
post #1006 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

Thank for the heads up on the anand review. I was under the impression their reviews are the usual blah blah. No idea they did tests. Just to make sure we're on the same page here's a link of test results I'm after: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image.../benchmark.gif
and the text that goes with them:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...-.html?start=3
I will not comment on your sxrd or assesment of boxee picture quality. Best of luck with your purchase.

Thanks for letting us know what you are expecting in reviews. We already do HQV tests, and to be frank, no media streamer expects to score good in that aspect.

In my opinion, what you are looking for is a Kaleidescape ( http://www.kaleidescape.com/ ) type solution, and they do not come cheap. The media streamer market aims at giving casual users access to their media. Some features required by high end enthusiasts might be present, but they will mostly end up getting disappointed with the product as a whole. They do not expect to compete with the $500 Blu-Ray players, and that is the sort of quality you are expecting. Those players come with dedicated video processors and no NMT / media player has those.

Forgive me for saying so, but any sub $200 solution is NOT going to work out for your requirements. I don't think the Dunes can satisfy you either. Good luck finding some device to fit in with your requirements

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #1007 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

You'll probably have to create an account and log in to vote.

Voted.
post #1008 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by danconti View Post

Hi Sean - DD+ should be working (both decoded on the box and bitstreamed) and we tested with that fairly extensively. Can you give me a bit more info on what you are seeing?

Thanks

When I tried a few DD+ test files last week I had issues too. First I had all the audio options checked. When I would play a DD+ file, I would not get any audio from it. When I unchecked the DD+ option in the settings menu, I would then get a pcm output when I played the DD+ files..
These DD+ files have no issues on my C200 or Popbox media players.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1009 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostXtreme View Post

Play some divx video and mute volume. Can you still hear the fan ?

I actually hear the noise even when the box is in its standby mode. From power up to power down it sounds like that, with no speeding up or down really, which kinda indicates a defective fan to me. Talking on the boxee forums too, and they described it best as a whirring sound.

Apparently you can see cpu and fan speeds at http://boxee-ip:8080, but I haven't tried this yet since I just got to work.
post #1010 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude051 View Post

Apparently you can see cpu and fan speeds at http://boxee-ip:8080, but I haven't tried this yet since I just got to work.

Yup, that works. My Box has been running nothing more than the menus for the past 30 mins and the fan is currently running at 50% and the CPU temp is 50C; the room temperature is 22C.

The Box is sitting on top of my TV stand with the wall about a foot behind it and I can hear it from the couch, which is ~ 11 feet away. It's not so loud that it'd bother me while watching a movie or tv show, but it'll probably irritate me while reading a book. I'll have to power the thing down while doing guitar recordings, as my mics will definitely pick it up.

Jellyfish Video Bitrate Test Fileshttp://www.ScottAllyn.com (ɔısnɯ ʎɯ)

OpenELEC XBMC HTPC (Foxconn nT-A3500 ⚡ 4GB ⚡ 60GB SSD) ♫ Roku 2 XS
Synology DS1010+ NAS (10 TB Raid) ♪ 5x WD RE4GP 2 TB Drives
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500m Reference Panel (ISFccc enabled) ♩ Denon AVR-4311CI Receiver
post #1011 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Topics to Add to first post:

Debug Logs: http://support.boxee.tv/entries/3292...w-do-i-do-that

USB Upgrade: http://support.boxee.tv/entries/3292...w-do-i-do-that

Standby doesn't do anything but turn video off. CPU will be high during GUI browsering but will be low during hardware accelerated video playback in which case the fan shouldn't be as fast.
post #1012 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When I tried a few DD+ test files last week I had issues too. First I had all the audio options checked. When I would play a DD+ file, I would not get any audio from it. When I unchecked the DD+ option in the settings menu, I would then get a pcm output when I played the DD+ files..
These DD+ files have no issues on my C200 or Popbox media players.

Ack. Prior to posting anything about DD+ we actually tested with the DD+ certification suite, in addition to a large collection of test clips we have.

Unchecking the DD+ option in the UI will get you decoded multichannel LPCM (assuming you have LPCM 7.1 checked in the UI still).

With the option checked, no audio.. no DD+ indicator on your receiver? Did you get a warning when enabling the option by any chance, or a dialog when playing back the content? Is this a movie with a DD+ audio track and, if so, what's the container?

If it's a standalone DD+ audio file, what's the extension? And are you getting the visualization?

former engineer @ boxee
post #1013 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danconti View Post

Ack. Prior to posting anything about DD+ we actually tested with the DD+ certification suite, in addition to a large collection of test clips we have.

Unchecking the DD+ option in the UI will get you decoded multichannel LPCM (assuming you have LPCM 7.1 checked in the UI still).

With the option checked, no audio.. no DD+ indicator on your receiver? Did you get a warning when enabling the option by any chance, or a dialog when playing back the content? Is this a movie with a DD+ audio track and, if so, what's the container?

If it's a standalone DD+ audio file, what's the extension? And are you getting the visualization?

I need to look. These are a suite of audio test files I have to test all the codecs. My BD ISOs won't play on the Boxee Box so I still need to make an MKV of one of the test discs with DD+ tracks.

LED DLP
post #1014 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I've been following this thread for a few weeks, not subscribed but checking in about once a day.

Despite all of the problems I'm still interested in Boxee Box, I think I'm irrrationally interested because of the claims of it being a software/firmware driven and supported product whereas other simple NAS boxes with cheap media servers are hardware with simple software.

With that said, I haven't pulled the trigger on Boxee yet and am waiting the storm to see if it gets better, in the meantime I also have my eye on the new Netgear product that claims to do full BD menus.

I assumed all along that neither box will decode DTS-HD/MA or TrueHD and kick it out as LPCM7.1 over HDMI but am reading in this thread that Boxee is currently doing that for TrueHD (because it cannot bitstream it for whatever reason)

Is DTS-HD/MA also decoded to LPCM with Boxee? My receiver does not do DTS-HD and TrueHD decoding so it's important for me to get a streamer that can do the decoding. And just so I don't have to repeat my questions in the Netgear thread, what about the new Netgear box? Decoding to LPCM seems to be a less-advertised issue as everyone seems to focus on whether or not a box can bitstream.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #1015 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Is DTS-HD/MA also decoded to LPCM with Boxee? My receiver does not do DTS-HD and TrueHD decoding so it's important for me to get a streamer that can do the decoding. And just so I don't have to repeat my questions in the Netgear thread, what about the new Netgear box? Decoding to LPCM seems to be a less-advertised issue as everyone seems to focus on whether or not a box can bitstream.

I've tested this and yes the BB will decode DTS-MA and DD True HD and pass it along to your receiver as LPCM
post #1016 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostXtreme View Post

Topics to Add to first post:

Debug Logs: http://support.boxee.tv/entries/3292...w-do-i-do-that

USB Upgrade: http://support.boxee.tv/entries/3292...w-do-i-do-that

Standby doesn't do anything but turn video off. CPU will be high during GUI browsering but will be low during hardware accelerated video playback in which case the fan shouldn't be as fast.

Done, although my participation in the thread might lag soon. My friends who have loaned me boxes want them back and the state of firmware is not quite where it needs to be for me to go out and by some units for myself.

I am going to try to weasel my way into keeping the loaners for another few days to see if we get at least one initial firmware update to correct some of the more glaring problems.
post #1017 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

I've tested this and yes the BB will decode DTS-MA and DD True HD and pass it along to your receiver as LPCM

Thanks for the speedy response, sounds like winner-winner-chicken-dinner if they can just get the bugs out of the system and get the box working correctly.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #1018 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM

The USB Upgrade link in the first post is incorrect. It should be: Here

Jellyfish Video Bitrate Test Fileshttp://www.ScottAllyn.com (ɔısnɯ ʎɯ)

OpenELEC XBMC HTPC (Foxconn nT-A3500 ⚡ 4GB ⚡ 60GB SSD) ♫ Roku 2 XS
Synology DS1010+ NAS (10 TB Raid) ♪ 5x WD RE4GP 2 TB Drives
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500m Reference Panel (ISFccc enabled) ♩ Denon AVR-4311CI Receiver
post #1019 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

what about 96Khz content? The test MKV I made of a Chris Botti BD with 96Khz 7.1 Dolby True HD was output as 48Khz 7.1 PCM.

I haven't looked at any other 96Khz content yet.

LED DLP
post #1020 of 9720 Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

what about 96Khz content? The test MKV I made of a Chris Botti BD with 96Khz 7.1 Dolby True HD was output as 48Khz 7.1 PCM.

I haven't looked at any other 96Khz content yet.

If your receiver reports it supports 96khz PCM then we should be outputting 96khz to it, not 48khz (we support up to 192khz/24 bit LPCM 7.1).

I read somewhere else someone indicated we were downmixing - assuming you have the output set to HDMI and have LPCM 7.1 configured _and_ your receiver is reporting the proper support through EDID info, we should not downmix the truehd stream at all.

former engineer @ boxee
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page