Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #151 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post

Acording to the other thread, it will suport BD-ISO, but no menus. Once you "play the ISO", you will be presented with a simple list of titles and you choose which one you want to play.

Title #1 - 1h40m30s
Title #2 - 5min30s
and so on...

unfortunately thats not how it works. It just seems to pick something and start playing. Maybe there is a way to select something but i have not figured it out.

I upgraded a couple of times this morning and the box seems happy it has the latest software.

There is some other issues with BD Iso I am seeing on 1.0.x

Clash of the Titans

BD ISO - selects the main movies and the plays and then re-buffers and plays abd then rebuffers on and on

the main movie ripped as a .ts file plays fine with no stuttering and rebuffering.

Everything is Gig-E switched and to test the bandwidth on the server I started copy the same file as it was playing and it managed to acheiver 45 Mega BYTES per second while the movie is playing. network or NAS performance should not be the issue.

Elise any recommendations on a syslog daemon to use on windows 7?

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

eli,

Can you clarify on the issues reported in the above review?

Are these issues present in the v1.0 firmware that is slated to appear today?

Yes they appear to be.

TryeHD is coming out as PCM

Something is flaky with DVD ISO playback and BD iso playback

Sean
post #153 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post

Did it actually stream the FULL DTS-MA? Or just the DTS 5.1 "Core?"

And, how are you determining this? Meaning, does your AVR actually say it's receiving DTS-MA?

I'll repeat what I said. DTS-MA is bitstreaming. NOT DTS.

Sean
post #154 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shftup View Post

did anyone have success playing blu ray folder/iso with menu support?

Not a supported feature on Boxee Box.
post #155 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

So Music and Pictures are still buried in the Files section in 1.0?

Yes I really can't say I liked the old interface as much as XBMC and the new 1.0 interface is worse IMO

Sean
post #156 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post

Yeah, that's not right I've sent along a little email, we'll see if they clear it up quickly

I had the same problem for a while this morning but somehow it resolved itself.

Sean
post #157 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2nd factory reset and 4th or 5th power cycle - still can't get it to dl the update, just sits there. lan port shows green connection light but no amber activity light. cable is good and internet connection is solid.

heading to lunch, i'll let it sit while i'm gone and see what happens over the next hour or so.
post #158 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW: something else that I am not liking is the XBMC keystroke maps have been turned off.

i and o for info on the file and video codecs etc during playback were available on .9 and removed in 1.0

Does anyone I know can I ftp into this thing and tweak the keymap.xml file?

Sean
post #159 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Could it be blocked by a firewall or something?
post #160 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

BTW: something else that I am not liking is the XBMC keystroke maps have been turned off.

i and o for info on the file and video codecs etc during playback were available on .9 and removed in 1.0

Does anyone I know can I ftp into this thing and tweak the keymap.xml file?

Sean

Haven't heard about anyway to access the file system yet

Can't recall if Settings > System > Advance > Debug Level > DEBUG gives you the info you want but you can try that.
post #161 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Just got my Box today updated it twices as there was a new update I found today under settings. and got it setup initially here

HAVE TO SAY IM NOT IMPRESSED in fact I am a bit pissed off about a few things maybe you have an answer I dunno if not its going BACK ASAP!

The Biggest Problem I have is that the movies playing back from PC shares STUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!! not all of them MKV's work fine but any 720p AVI files I have are glorified slideshows. Something the WD LIVE PLUS had ZERO problems with.

I do not want to have a USB hooked to the BOXEE I like to have all my media on windows 7 shares plus I have 2 TB drives in a raid for backup.

Secondly I hate that I can not easiy get to the APPS I want as favorites I have to dig through levels to get them to launch and No VUDDU right now either says it's coming WTF!

I hoep someone has a fix for my stutter issues but if not I would not recommend buying this right now as 50% of my library is in 720p avi format.
post #162 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI: Music playback works OK some disapointments there....

Mikdrop visualization is not there. WTF?

all audio seems to being converted to 48Khz sampling rate. 44.1Khz and 96Khz are all being re-sampled and output. That most like means my 24bit files are being dithered to 16 bits as well. Need to investigate more.

BD ISO playback is definetely hosed. tried about 8 isos now. They all stutter. play the same m2ts outside the BD ISO wrapper and it works fine.

all in all its not great and not awful. far more useful than the GTV out of the box fo sure.

Sean
post #163 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post

Haven't heard about anyway to access the file system yet

Can't recall if Settings > System > Advance > Debug Level > DEBUG gives you the info you want but you can try that.

Debug doesn't give you near the amount of info 'i' did. Although, I'm sure as the online manual is fleshed out we'll find what we need.

I also can't seem to get write access to the smb shared drive attached via usb.
post #164 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
The DVD and BD ISO file troubles are concerning. I will update this on the first post list of issues until we can get a response from someone at Boxee on if they know about these problems and if and when they will be fixed.

I agree that from the screenshots the old interface actually looked better than the new one appears to look. I can't understand why they would go and "fix" something that wasn't broken to begin with, all they will do is alienate customers who have already played with the Boxee beta on their PC or Mac.
post #165 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The DVD and BD ISO file troubles are concerning. I will update this on the first post list of issues until we can get a response from someone at Boxee on if they know about these problems and if and when they will be fixed.

I agree that from the screenshots the old interface actually looked better than the new one appears to look. I can't understand why they would go and "fix" something that wasn't broken to begin with, all they will do is alienate customers who have already played with the Boxee beta on their PC or Mac.

I'll be holding off on buying this until this is fixed. I need full Blu-Ray menu support from a ISO.
post #166 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post

I'll be holding off on buying this until this is fixed. I need full Blu-Ray menu support from a ISO.

I don't think this is ever coming to Boxee Box. They have only stated the BD-lite support is coming (and it is currently implemented).

If you want full menu support, your options are the PCH-200, the Dune series, or the NTV550 from Netgear.
post #167 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post

BD menu support is not something they can fix. It's a licensed feature and although they have said they are looking into possibly adding it, I don't think it's going to be added anytime soon.
post #168 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I will add the movie scrapers are quite hosed.

.9 scaper found 458 movies and only shows 62 in the library view
1.0 scraper find 458 movies and shows 64 missing information but I only see 197 movies. WHere are the other 200 movies?

Sean
post #169 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM

This is a huge disappointment to say the least as I had high hopes and both of mine are going back ASAP. My PCH C200 wipes the floor with the BB. All my media is stored on a ReadyNAS Pro over Gb network and everly file I have thrown at the BB has failed miserable, 720p MKVs stutter and buffer horrible, 1080p forget it and the BB reboots. This box is a far cry from Boxee I ran on my laptop before I made the decision to purchase the BB. What the hell happened here?
post #170 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Not everyone agrees that it wasn't broken unfortunately. I miss the old UI as well but the new does address some issues so I guess it's the trade-off they decided to make...
post #171 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The FEW MKV's I have are playing fine. m2ts files fine. DVD ISO not so much. BD ISO is broken.

I am wondering why the DVD issues. I am seeing issues with improperly rendering menu's on titles I have tested with XBMC extensively and never had issues. Evidently boxee box is not up to xbmc standards for DVD Playback at this time. that should be easy to get corrected.

Sean
post #172 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

I will add the movie scrapers are quite hosed.

.9 scaper found 458 movies and only shows 62 in the library view
1.0 scraper find 458 movies and shows 64 missing information but I only see 197 movies. WHere are the other 200 movies?

Sean

If we only have access to the filesystem, we can tell by looking at the debug log what happened. For now, all you can do is wait for Eli.
post #173 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Boxee needs to start responding to the problems with at least a rough idea of when some of these more basic things are going to be fixed, or they will have a lot of returns and risk a lot of bad reviews on Amazon.

I can understand that their hand was probably forced... D-Link sunk a lot of money into the hardware and probably had a drop dead date of November so they could capture the holiday sales, but none of that matters if the software is not up to snuff and people will return the unit in large numbers.
post #174 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_2k View Post

Maybe I can replace my (possibly defective) noisy fan now!

Whoa, big heatsink in there too!

The problem is finding a quiet replacement 30mm fan.
post #175 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM

These problems don't sound isolated to a couple boxes and I'm beginning to worry. My BB is arriving today and I was really looking forward to finally having a player with a great UI along with comprehensive playback functionality. I'll hold onto mine for a couple weeks and see what gets sorted out, but this doesn't sound like a product that was fully ready for release. Flashbacks of the Popbox...
post #176 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
mine played 1080p mkvs just fine. when i try to play a bdiso it just says cant play it. doesn't give me a menu of files to play. i have like 500 bdisos. it did play my captain N dvd with menus just find though.
post #177 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post

These problems don't sound isolated to a couple boxes and I'm beginning to worry. My BB is arriving today and I was really looking forward to finally having a player with a great UI along with comprehensive playback functionality. I'll hold onto mine for a couple weeks and see what gets sorted out, but this doesn't sound like a product that was fully ready for release. Flashbacks of the Popbox...

I would say if can be played on XBMC, then it should play in Boxee Box currently or later on down the road ...

Please don't compare Popbox to Boxee Box, we aren't getting bricked units here after firmware update ..
post #178 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

mine played 1080p mkvs just fine. when i try to play a bdiso it just says cant play it. doesn't give me a menu of files to play. i have like 500 bdisos. it did play my captain N dvd with menus just find though.

I have all my Blu-Rays as .ISO. If I rip them to MKV will it maintain the same quality audio/video & subtitles? Is there a preferred method in doing so?
post #179 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 603
I set mine up a little while ago. It updated quickly. Within 3 minutes or so it had downloaded and installed the update. I'm on version 1.0.1.16125 and it says there are no updates available.

I have not been able to play any BD ISOs. It always says "Playback Error...The media source or file is not accessible"

I know the files are fine since my C200 and PopBoxes have zero issues with them. This is from a network share, I have not tried it with a local drive yet.

I did try the DTS-MA MKV of Avatar I made and the Boxee Box had no problems playing it over my network. It played it flawlessly.

I also tried the Bird Bitrate test files over my network and it had no problems until the 70Mb/s bitrate files which is great since no BD can even be close to that bitrate.

I tried a couple of DVD ISOs and it played those fine but with a couple of quirks in the menus.
It did a supeb job with HDTV recorded MPEG2 content. I don't think I've ever had a device that could scan and play over the network so quickly for that content.

As far as the Fan, I can easily hear it, but in my main viewing area that is not an issue. I might have a problem if it were in my bedroom, but I am also more sensitive to fan noise than most people. In a quiet room I could easily hear the fan from twelve feet away, but I doubt your average person would be able to hear it at that distance.

Also I tried to use the VUDU application but it said that it was coming soon. I was hoping to watch a VUDU HDX movie today with it.

I also tried some audio test files, and like other people, the Dolby True HD files came out as PCM. 7.1 DTS-HD MA was fine. And I need to find my DD+ and DTS-HD test files to check.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #180 of 9715 Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

BD menu support is not something they can fix. It's a licensed feature and although they have said they are looking into possibly adding it, I don't think it's going to be added anytime soon.

Maybe you can just put on the first post in huge letters, THERE IS NO FULL BD MENU SUPPORT WITH BOXEE BOX, IF YOU WANT THIS FEATURE LOOK AT ANOTHER PLAYER (I.E. DUNE, C200, etc...)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page