Boxee Box Owner's Thread - Reviews, tips, tricks, bugs and feature requests - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I set mine up a little while ago. It updated quickly. Within 3 minutes or so it had downloaded and installed the update. I'm on version 1.0.1.16125 and it says there are no updates available.

I have not been able to play any BD ISOs. It always says "Playback Error...The media source or file is not accessible"

I know the files are fine since my C200 and PopBoxes have zero issues with them. This is from a network share, I have not tried it with a local drive yet.

I did try the DTS-MA MKV of Avatar I made and the Boxee Box had no problems playing it over my network. It played it flawlessly.

I also tried the Bird Bitrate test files over my network and it had no problems until the 70Mb/s bitrate files which is great since no BD can even be close to that bitrate.

I tried a couple of DVD ISOs and it played those fine but with a couple of quirks in the menus.
It did a supeb job with HDTV recorded MPEG2 content. I don't think I've ever had a device that could scan and play over the network so quickly for that content.

As far as the Fan, I can easily hear it, but in my main viewing area that is not an issue. I might have a problem if it were in my bedroom, but I am also more sensitive to fan noise than most people. In a quiet room I could easily hear the fan from twelve feet away, but I doubt your average person would be able to hear it at that distance.

How well is the scraper working out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

mine played 1080p mkvs just fine. when i try to play a bdiso it just says cant play it. doesn't give me a menu of files to play. i have like 500 bdisos. it did play my captain N dvd with menus just find though.

I got it to play my Leon bluray it seemed to play fine. It was an .ISO. The rest of my ISOs give an access error. I think they have a bug.
post #183 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbacklund View Post

How well is the scraper working out for you?

I've only done a test folder with pictures. That was fine. I still need do a test video folder.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #184 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know where to change the output video format? I forget the exact terms for this setting, but I'd like it to be 16-235, which will match all of my other components and TV. Right now, the blacks are very washed out.

Mine is still scanning my media. I'm hoping things will get better when that's done. Now, when going into Movies from the main screen, I see none of mine, and 1000's of movies I don't care about. Also, under files, it seems you have just a regular file browser for Music and Picture? I'm in utter disbelief if that's really the case. Again, hopefully some of the functionality changes when everything is discovered.
post #185 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Do Blu-Ray M2TS files contain all the audio & subtitles? As in, if I rip out the m2ts files from my blu-ray ISOs, will it play the movie just fine with subtitles and multiple audio tracks?
post #186 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Maybe you can just put on the first post in huge letters, THERE IS NO FULL BD MENU SUPPORT WITH BOXEE BOX, IF YOU WANT THIS FEATURE LOOK AT ANOTHER PLAYER (I.E. DUNE, C200, etc...)

Done!
post #187 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post

Not everyone agrees that it wasn't broken unfortunately. I miss the old UI as well but the new does address some issues so I guess it's the trade-off they decided to make...

The old UI was a little weird at first but I came to like the shortcuts. I'm sure I will learn to like the UI but its weird how they buried music.

I always like the XBMC Skins that let you define what items showed up the home menu. There are some many different use models, it was nice to be able to customize the home screen for what U want to do.

But this is just the beginning. UI problem I can deal with for a while. for mainstream america to embrace this thing it needs to have reliable online content and lan content. The first seems to be sorely lacking but I have not tried the VUDU app yet. I am hoping they continue their agressive work and iron out the bugs.

I was giddy when I saw the DTS-MA light on my onkyo turn on though.....

subtitles seems to be working well for my BD rips

haven't tried forced yet

gotta run and take care of real world stuff.

Sean

Sean
post #188 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 AM

That really is the case as I was blown away by the same as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Anyone know where to change the output video format? I forget the exact terms for this setting, but I'd like it to be 16-235, which will match all of my other components and TV. Right now, the blacks are very washed out.

Mine is still scanning my media. I'm hoping things will get better when that's done. Now, when going into Movies from the main screen, I see none of mine, and 1000's of movies I don't care about. Also, under files, it seems you have just a regular file browser for Music and Picture? I'm in utter disbelief if that's really the case. Again, hopefully some of the functionality changes when everything is discovered.

post #189 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post

Do Blu-Ray M2TS files contain all the audio & subtitles? As in, if I rip out the m2ts files from my blu-ray ISOs, will it play the movie just fine with subtitles and multiple audio tracks?

From the limited reports it seems that it plays M2TS and MKV files just fine. I will have a unit later today to play with and will do a more comprehensive video review which will be added to the first post in the thread.

The topic of how best to rip your BD ISO files is a complicated one (due to multiple audio tracks, forced subtitles, multiple film versions, etc), and is probably best discussed in another thread (and there are MANY that have discussed this already).
post #190 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Hi Everyone,

In order to help solving any issues please make sure you post them on our support forum so we can fix them. I will not comment on specific bugs/help requests since we need to properly track these issues.

Some general issues I've seen:
- The new UI - some like it, some don't.
- No TrueHD - We're looking into it. Does 7.1 pcm works?
- BD ISOs and folders - When browsing (the PLAY button appear) there is a button on the right called "browse". Pressing this button will show a list of all titles available. If you just press play we will play the longest one. Using this menu you can also browse to a specific file inside the folders (not with ISOs)
- File Browser - The file browser will let you access any file on the network/USB (including movies ofc)
Regarding constant re-buffering, we're looking into it. I don't think this a network issue (e.g. your network is fine...)
- Key shortcuts - we've removed them since we now need all keyboard keys to go to the search option.

Eli.
post #191 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemory View Post

Hi Everyone,

In order to help solving any issues please make sure you post them on our support forum so we can fix them. I will not comment on specific bugs/help requests since we need to properly track these issues.

- BD ISOs and folders - When browsing (the PLAY button appear) there is a button on the right called "browse". Pressing this button will show a list of all titles available. If you just press play we will play the longest one.
Regarding constant re-buffering, we're looking into it. I don't think this a network issue (e.g. your network is fine...)

Eli.

Eli,

Tack on write access to smb shares via Boxee Box, I'll post in support forums as well.

Thanks.
post #192 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemory View Post

Hi Everyone,

- BD ISOs and folders - When browsing (the PLAY button appear) there is a button on the right called "browse". Pressing this button will show a list of all titles available. If you just press play we will play the longest one.

Eli.

Eli,

Thanks so much for posting and responding to the rabid AVS geeks. Can you post a direct link to the forum in question so that issues can be reported by members in the correct place?
post #193 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Not to answer for Eli, but this is where the support link takes you when logged in at boxee.tv.

http://boxee.zendesk.com/home

EDIT: Ticket for the SMB issues in case anyone else is having trouble: http://boxee.zendesk.com/requests/19110
post #194 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Now, when going into Movies from the main screen, I see none of mine, and 1000's of movies I don't care about.

Yes, they will show up -- I have the movie "21" and when I sort Movies / All by AtoZ, 24 is the fourth one listed.

Quote:
Also, under files, it seems you have just a regular file browser for Music and Picture? I'm in utter disbelief if that's really the case. Again, hopefully some of the functionality changes when everything is discovered.

That's not quite right. Files / Music gives you the choice of Albums and Artists -- both of those gives you thumbnails and it works about the same as it did in beta software -- but perhaps it's not done scanning your music files.
post #195 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati. View Post

Not to answer for Eli, but this is where the support link takes you when logged in at boxee.tv.

http://boxee.zendesk.com/home

Found this as well, where you can submit tickets:

http://boxee.zendesk.com/requests/new
post #196 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I see people having trouble with BD ISO, but has anybody tried playing from BDMV folder? Eli hinted at it above, so it sounds like it's supported. Can you just play from the top folder?

All my movies are ripped to BDMV. I know it's not as compact as ISO, but my A200 plays them fine.

I'm curious how BB handles them because I need another media player in the house.
post #197 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slates View Post

Found this as well, where you can submit tickets:

http://boxee.zendesk.com/requests/new

I think they must make tickets visible without login so that everyone can follow up on what issues are being resolved. If not, have something like WD is doing by inviting ideas and then mods can indicate status of that request / request for bug fix.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #198 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Liked: 11
i cant connect to my movie share or tv share from my WHS. its says disconnected. but the share info is there, but it just says disconnected.

what to do?
post #199 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried something simple, like playing "House" from Fox/Hulu? Is it blocked? If not how does it look/sound?
post #200 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shftup View Post

i cant connect to my movie share or tv share from my WHS. its says disconnected. but the share info is there, but it just says disconnected.
what to do?

Hate to say it, try power cycling the Box. I've got multiple shares, all from WHS and they're working. I did get the "all disconnected" once today and that's when the Box thought it wasn't on the network for some reason. So I suppose you could also try Settings > Network and poke around there to see if setting/resetting the config brings them online...
post #201 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

I see people having trouble with BD ISO, but has anybody tried playing from BDMV folder? Eli hinted at it above, so it sounds like it's supported. Can you just play from the top folder?

All my movies are ripped to BDMV. I know it's not as compact as ISO, but my A200 plays them fine.

I'm curious how BB handles them because I need another media player in the house.

Hi ejhuzy,

Yes we support BDMV folders, just play them from the top folders.

Eli.
post #202 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger6696 View Post

Has anyone tried something simple, like playing "House" from Fox/Hulu? Is it blocked? If not how does it look/sound?

Hulu sources are no longer showing up. When available, the Fancast ones are and these work fine (though you have to manually put into fullscreen mode ) Boxee tries to help with the fullscreen bit and puts the mouse cursor close to where it thinks the online video fullscreen link is.

When I go to hulu.com via the browser and login (I have a Hulu+ account) I can play videos but they're limited to 480p -- this was NOT the case during the past week (yes, I was a Box beta tester) -- I was getting 720p and it was GREAT. Today, not so much so, Boxee, hurry up and bring on the real Hulu+ stuff.
post #203 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Has anyone tested out forced subtitles embedded in an MKV file (e.g., Avatar)?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #204 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 PM

What about the STUTTERING issues associated with AVI files? I mean I have a WD LIVE PLUS box that works 100% with the BOXEE BOX over half my files play but at like 20fps! Is this able to be fixed?
post #205 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Ok. After letting all of my media scrape, I am still getting rebuffering on my BD folder movies. It's not constant, but its enough that it makes me want to break something. So here's my complaints thus far with the box:

1. Re-buffering. Please, figure this out ASAP as it distracts from the experience immensely. I am using a LAN connection, the movies I am watching are BD folders from a Samba share. I had zero problems with a Mac Mini using XBMC/Boxee 0.9 or a PopBox.

2. Ability to specify which "Shows" or "Movies" we see by just clicking the top level. I want to click and see my media, not all media by default. This should be an option. Yes I know I can delve a bit to get my media, but a configurable option makes it easier and customizable for people.

Aside from those two issues, everything else has been fine thus far.
post #206 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post

When I go to hulu.com via the browser and login (I have a Hulu+ account) I can play videos

Should have also mentioned, I can go to fox.com and play videos there too..
post #207 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eli - it appears my box is bricked. first the video froze while playing a file over my network, had to power cycle, then i lost all video from any source and did a factory reset - after the reset i was unable to connect to boxee servers to dl the 1.0 update (which is forced obviously). twice i've reset the box and it just sits at the download screen, stuck. i just uplugged my network cable and attempted to connect wirelessly which also froze the box.

any ideas?
post #208 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps View Post

2. Ability to specify which "Shows" or "Movies" we see by just clicking the top level. I want to click and see my media, not all media by default. This should be an option. Yes I know I can delve a bit to get my media, but a configurable option makes it easier and customizable for people.

Agreed, I think this is a great feature request (and you're not the first to suggest it today )
post #209 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyevin View Post

Eli - it appears my box is bricked. first the video froze while playing a file over my network, had to power cycle, then i lost all video from any source and did a factory reset - after the reset i was unable to connect to boxee servers to dl the 1.0 update (which is forced obviously). twice i've reset the box and it just sits at the download screen, stuck. i just uplugged my network cable and attempted to connect wirelessly which also froze the box.

any ideas?

You have one option which is boot off usb if Boxee releases USB firmware image. How long are you waiting for download to finish ? I would let go an hour and see if it does anything ..
post #210 of 9708 Old 11-11-2010, 12:35 PM

I would return it as defective.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page