Blu-Ray Support in Media Streamers - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What Blu-Ray features would you like in your media streamer?
Need support for external BR drives, AACS protected and non-AACS BDs / ISOs / folder structures. 0 0%
Need support for AACS protected and non-AACS ISOs / folder structures (no need for BR drive support) 0 0%
Need support for full BR experience on non-AACS (only) ISO / folder structure etc. 0 0%
Need support for BR-ISOs / folder structures with ability to choose playlist (libbluray experience) 0 0%
No need for BR ISO support (BD-Lite is enough) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On Nov 1, 2010, the Netgear NTV 550 quietly dropped support for external BR drives in its marketing material. The response to this got me thinking about what the market really wants. In this context, what category would you like your streamer to fall under in the following options (assume that BDA licensing would increase the cost of the unit by around $30).

1. Need media streamer to support external BR drives for full BR experience with AACS protected BDs and ISOs.

2. Need media streamer to support AACS protected ISOs (no need for BR drive support)

3. Need media streamer to support full BR experience on non-AACS protected ISO

4. Need media streamer to play back BR ISOs with ability to choose playlist (libbluray experience similar to what is happening with Boxee Box)

5. No need for BR ISO support (BD-Lite is enough)

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
#3, but i would pay ~$30 to $50 more for #1.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Good poll. Voted #4, but I'd be fine with #5 as well. I assume you meant to say BR ISO support w/o menus (BD-lite).

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10
post #5 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Voted for #4.

As was asked on twitter, do you have a sense of what the full bd license is going for these days, is $30 just a guess?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #6 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 375
We're surely not believing this thread is "what the market wants" are we?

This group of folks is a subset of a subset.

Even here, I doubt the bulk of people want menus, trailers, etc. They are just irritating (at least to me) and certainly not worth paying money for. Adding external drives seems to defeat much of the purpose of these devices -- or at least make them clunky.

I voted, but to clarify, if I had an .iso file, I'd like the player to just play the movie. If I had folders, I'd like the player to just play the movie. I don't want to project my feelings on all of you -- or certainly not the whole market -- but I actually believe that's the most popular desire:

However the file was "ripped", play the movie.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Voted for #4.

As was asked on twitter, do you have a sense of what the full bd license is going for these days, is $30 just a guess?

$30 is just a guess, assuming that the company already has DTS and Dolby licenses in place. Let me try to find out more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

We're surely not believing this thread is "what the market wants" are we?

This group of folks is a subset of a subset.

Even here, I doubt the bulk of people want menus, trailers, etc. They are just irritating (at least to me) and certainly not worth paying money for. Adding external drives seems to defeat much of the purpose of these devices -- or at least make them clunky.

I voted, but to clarify, if I had an .iso file, I'd like the player to just play the movie. If I had folders, I'd like the player to just play the movie. I don't want to project my feelings on all of you -- or certainly not the whole market -- but I actually believe that's the most popular desire:

However the file was "ripped", play the movie.

I know AVSForums is a gathering place for a select group of consumers and their opinion will, in no way, reflect the needs and wants of the market as a whole.

That said, it will be an interesting observation as to what this select group feels. In most cases, if a feature is not interesting to the 'select group', you can safely infer that the market is not interested in the feature. On the other hand, if a feature is important for the 'select group', the market would probably be at least a little bit interested in the feature. So, my main aim in putting out this poll was to find out whether external BR drive is an important feature for the 'select group' or not. If it is not , then Netgear could be right in getting rid of that feature (current poll results point to the contrary, though).

Personally, I would be fine with #3 (playing back non-AACS ISOs / Blu-Ray folder structures). AACS support always has DRM nonsense like Cinavia hanging around like the sword of Damocles, and I personally despise such consumer annoyances.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I could only choose one, but the first two options would be my choice since my c200 gives me those options right now.

I don't use it with an external BD drive very often, but I will on occasion and it's nice to have that option. Especially since I'd rather use my C200 for disc playback than my PS3 or LG BD390.

although unless I leave one of my USB BD ROM drives in that room, it is not as convenient.

EDIT: crap! i just realized that option one does apply to me but I chose option 2 by mistake thinking I needed both option 1 and 2.
doH!!

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@jakmal, point taken. I'll follow this thread with interest.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Voted # 5 as I think that means just play the movie. There is no doubt a (small) need for Blu-Ray players but there is a far greater need for inexpensive players. A good example of these would be the WD line.

philip
post #11 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Voted #1

Even though most of my media will be streamed from a NAS, I really want the option to play retail BDs occasionally, I really don't want to use my PS3 for that anymore because it's way too noisy. Because I only have room left for 1 more HDMI connection to my TV (without buying new hardware) the NeoTV 550, before the spec change!, would have been the perfect all-in-one device for me! (together with its fanless design, gapless audio playback, on-the-fly playlists etc.)

A real bummer because I was all set for the NTV550!

Now I'll probably start reading up on HDI Dune/Popcorn Hour models and continue searching for the ideal player for my situation. Btw, price has not been the most important factor for me.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You have a PS3, "really" don't want to use it -- by the way, I replaced the power supply in mine with a second-gen power supply and it's just not at all noisy any more -- but you want to spend money on an external USB BluRay drive to plug into your Boxee?

How exactly are you currently ripping content?

post #13 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

You have a PS3, "really" don't want to use it -- by the way, I replaced the power supply in mine with a second-gen power supply and it's just not at all noisy any more -- but you want to spend money on an external USB BluRay drive to plug into your Boxee?

Why is this strange? I was thinking of doing the same thing to avoid my noisy PS3 (slim....I traded in my original one hoping this would be quieter. It is quieter, but not quiet enough).

Wouldn't this be quieter than the fan in the PS3?

To each his own, but I would rather drop $100 for a quiet external drive to attach to the NTV550, which would give me a single unit for all media, rather than go through the hassle of replacing a power supply in the PS3. I'm sure it ends up being cheaper, but not something a lot of people want to do.

Have you used one of these external BD drives? Are they noisy?

edit: after rereading your post, I guess you put a "slim" powersupply in the older PS3. I don't find the noise level of the current slim PS3 acceptable. Noise is such an impossible thing to argue, and what is fine for you is awful for someone else. So....back to the point...I completely think his idea makes sense.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Yes I have a PS3 and it's noisy so I only want to use it for playing games, not for watching movies. And yeah, I was more than happy to spend money on a quiet BD drive and attach it to the NeoTV 550 (before the spec change), however this could also be an eSATA BD drive so why you specifically mention USB is beyond me. Even more strange: why do you talk about a Boxee?!? I'm clearly mentioning the NTV550 (which is the new Netgear's NeoTV 550 mediaplayer).

Lastly, I don't rip BDs that I already have in my collection, why do you want to know?
post #15 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I did not put a "slim" power supply in my PS3. I put in a second generation one. It went from being "noisy as hell" to "not audible 3 feet from the unit".

I am noise sensitive.

post #16 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Surprisingly more ppl than I had anticipated also want external BD support.

By the way rogo, did my reply help you understand and can I still expect an answer to my questions or are you conveniently trying to ignore my post?
post #17 of 18 Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My preference would be the ability to select loading the menus as an option (TV Episodic discs), but to default to main title playback w/o menus.

That or have Sylsoft come out with a Clone BR that gave the ability to logically identify and title streams within a disc structure so that the titles made sense in a BR-Lite listing.

-Suntan
post #18 of 18 Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadView View Post

Yes I have a PS3 and it's noisy so I only want to use it for playing games, not for watching movies. And yeah, I was more than happy to spend money on a quiet BD drive and attach it to the NeoTV 550 (before the spec change), however this could also be an eSATA BD drive so why you specifically mention USB is beyond me. Even more strange: why do you talk about a Boxee?!? I'm clearly mentioning the NTV550 (which is the new Netgear's NeoTV 550 mediaplayer).

Lastly, I don't rip BDs that I already have in my collection, why do you want to know?

So I don't know why I asked you, but now it appears you don't rip BluRay at all, which confuses me all the more. The main purpose of all these streamers -- for me -- is to have a nice set of BluRay-quality movies to choose from. You obviously have a different need. I was probably headed in some mental direction when I asked you the question a few days ago, but it's slipped my mind.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page