Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a box that does both of these?
I would like to have one box that can. Play a Blu ray on a hard drive on computer
But can also access say a DVR with the CETON cable card in the same computer?
Does this box exist?
If not is there one coming?

Thanks,
Kevin C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nope. At least not without having a PC do a fair amount of transcoding for the Blu ray disks.

The Xbox360 can be an extender that will work with the ceton card. However, it can not play back BR rips without substantial transcoding.

SageTV has hardware extenders that will natively play back BR isos, and work as extenders for DVR activities, but they do not support ceton cablecards. You would have to use an HDPVR 1212 capture device to get cable DVR function.

-Suntan
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response Suntan. That is about what I figured.
Hopefully some company will realize there is a fair amount of demand for a do it all box.
I can't wait to quit paying crazy rental fees on junk boxes from the cable company!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Here's the problem with a do-it-all box: You can't sell it for $200. Look at the retail prices of the Logitech Revue and the Boxee box and understand that they are made with a chipset that is insufficient to allow unfettered browsing and, really, a fully snappy UI. Maybe this changes in the next year or two, but right now, I'd guess your do-it-all box would run $400 at retail. For that much, you can own a computer.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Here's the problem with a do-it-all box: You can't sell it for $200. Look at the retail prices of the Logitech Revue and the Boxee box and understand that they are made with a chipset that is insufficient to allow unfettered browsing and, really, a fully snappy UI. Maybe this changes in the next year or two, but right now, I'd guess your do-it-all box would run $400 at retail. For that much, you can own a computer.
That's not true about the price. At least, not about the price of the extender box.

The Sage Extender has all the hardware required to support what he is asking for (and it costs $150) the only thing Sage doesn't have is Cablecard approval. This isn't a hardware issue, it is a licensing issue.

Further, nothing is stopping Microsoft from releasing a new extender box (to work with their cablecard supporting Media Center) with full local media playback support. They just choose not to.

To the OP, if you want an all-together DVR/BR rip playback setup, I would encourage you to at least look at SageTV with using an HDPVR 1212. Cablecard is *not* the only option.

-Suntan
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page