Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

Doesn't lpcm support up to 8 channels. We were talking 7.1.

Ray

I think you may have your concepts a bit off. LPCM doesn't "support" anything. It is the decompressed audio signal that comes from a source device to an AVR or TV. LPCM can be sent in any number of channels.

Dolby Digtal, DTS, and all their variants are the compressed or coded audio signals that are sent from a source device and must be decoded, usually at an AVR but sometimes at a media streamer and blu-ray player depending on their features. I believe those codecs support up to 7.1 channels; however, I only think you can get up to 5.1 DD or DTS on a TOSlink fiberoptic audio connection. The HD audio codecs up to 7.1 can only be carried over HDMI due to the higher bandwidth required.

7.1 is really 8 discrete channels. The 8th channel is the subwoofer channel so it is called ".1" because it is not a full range channel. If someone is referring to 8 channels, they are probably referring to 7.1 audio.

The ability to support HD audio and 7.1 channels is a function of your hardware, not whether it is LPCM or coded.
Panda84 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post

I think you may have your concepts a bit off. LPCM doesn't "support" anything. It is the decompressed audio signal that comes from a source device to an AVR or TV. LPCM can be sent in any number of channels.

Dolby Digtal, DTS, and all their variants are the compressed or coded audio signals that are sent from a source device and must be decoded, usually at an AVR but sometimes at a media streamer and blu-ray player depending on their features. I believe those codecs support up to 7.1 channels; however, I only think you can get up to 5.1 DD or DTS on a TOSlink fiberoptic audio connection. The HD audio codecs up to 7.1 can only be carried over HDMI due to the higher bandwidth required.

7.1 is really 8 discrete channels. The 8th channel is the subwoofer channel so it is called ".1" because it is not a full range channel. If someone is referring to 8 channels, they are probably referring to 7.1 audio.

The ability to support HD audio and 7.1 channels is a function of your hardware, not whether it is LPCM or coded.

Well said! But bottom line is WDTV HD HUB, LIVE AND LIVE PLUS can only pass through or transcode/lpcm etc core 5.1 and is not capable of dealing with DTSH MASTER 5.1 or 7.1 HD audio, whatsoever, like neo 550, or popcorn hour or Boxee does!

If it does then I am n dark. lol
Panda84 likes this.
post #63 of 77 Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog100 View Post

HTPC's are a lot of work to build, are costly, and require frequent software maintenance. A network media player is easy, cheap, and firmware updates show up automatically.

They need not be a lot of work. My Shuttle XS35GT V2 was trivial. I added a laptop drive, ram, attached to my TV and installed windows 7. It's been running for quite some some with no maintenance at all. The total cost was around $300 and it's far better than most media players. My Mac Mini has been running for a year with no maintenance, except when I upgraded the OS recently. It cost more of course but it has other functions.

Since Blu-ray disks are not cheap the cost of any reasonable video collection is far greater than the cost of the hardware. I don't quite understand how people can be trying to pay nothing for the hardware but won't thing twice of paying thousands for the content. That presumably is why people don't mind paying for a Dune or PCH-C200 or a Boxee Box.

The very best playback program is in my opinion XBMC or variations of that. You get that with a Boxee Box but no other media player unless you get into the jail breaking game and install Plex on an ATV2 or XBMC on an ATV1 with a Crystal HD card. The rest of the media players are for the most part uninteresting until you use some kind of jukebox and those are harder to maintain than a Shuttle or Mac Mini.

philip
Panda84 likes this.
post #64 of 77 Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Has anyone actually been able to launch Plex on a w7 machine? Thxs
Panda84 likes this.
post #65 of 77 Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM

I just installed Plex on my Win 7_64 machine and it installed fine.
I however did not realize that it is not DLNA compliant so you have to have a device running their app, either an iphone or android device or one of the new LG machines. So can't speak to its functionality ther than taht after I installed the google chrome frame in IE I was able to add things to it.

Anyone have any experience with Plex? I like others here am trying to come to some sort of solution for streaming Music, Video, and photos to android devices and HT.

Treefrog what made you decide to go with Twonky over say WMP alone?

Thanks.
Panda84 likes this.
post #66 of 77 Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Just thought of one other thing.
Does anyone have any experience using something connected via usb as a mini server. As an example I noticed the Linksys top of the line home Router/Switch the E4200 has what they refer to as a UPnP AV Media server built in. Which I assume will stream anything that the receiver can handle.
TV, smartphone, etc. Any experience streaming Video of of something like this with a USB attached with Video/Audio files on it?

Thanks.
Panda84 likes this.
post #67 of 77 Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM

I need help with DLNA. This is what I am doing. I am trying to use the 'Home Media' stuff on my Dish Hopper. When I go into the Home Media it shows my devices as X-PC:X and X-PC:Y. X and Y are our user account names for windows 7. It also shows the Windows Media Player logo next to each one. When I click on my account and go into it it searches and pulls up nothing. Now I don't expect anyone here to know how to work the Dish Hopper but I have asked Dish in their forums how to work it and they say I need a DLNA server software. According to you guys and everyone else WMP 12 will work. I also had heard that Windows media center will work too. I looked at my windows media center and there is a thing in the settings called extender which is supposedly supposed to be used to stream stuff from WMC to my Hopper BUT when I go to set it up it asks for an 8 digit number which never shows up on my Hopper. So I am not sure how to set it up. Now on the WMP 12 someone in here was saying that you had to have DLNA enabled or get some codecs or something. I need help getting my WMP set up so my Hopper Home Media will find it and use it. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't know much at all about DLNA or Codecs or the like. I just know that codecs are used kinda like a plug in so you can use certain features on your WMP.

Edit: I was also told by the Dish representative that he thought that at one time you had to use a Hopper Internet Connector, even if you use ethernet, and even if you have sling. He didn't know if it still applied now. I don't know what the HIC is and my Hopper is connected to the internet via my router/modem. So I don't think I would need the HIC.
Panda84 likes this.
post #68 of 77 Old 04-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
With the recent release of Mezzmo 3, it seems like a 2-Dog race at this point. If you want a true DLNA compliant media server, then Mezzmo 3 is the way to go. Keep in mind that DLNA standards do introduce limitations like the inability to properly playback .iso files and stream metadata with video files. Mezzmo does have the device profiles for the Dish Hopper and it works flawlessly with my WD Live boxes and as well as anything can with my DirecTV HDDVRs.

The other option is Plex. I have installed and played with it and it seems like a very attractive and functional setup. I'm not sure about how well it functions with your specific devices, though.

You will undoubtedly need something that transcodes on the fly and these 2 seem head and shoulders above the other choices for that. Tversity used to be a good go to for this, but their UI just isn't as friendly and I never was quite comfortable with some of its limitations.
Panda84 likes this.
post #69 of 77 Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post

I however did not realize that it is not DLNA compliant so you have to have a device running their app, either an iphone or android device or one of the new LG machines. So can't speak to its functionality ther than taht after I installed the google chrome frame in IE I was able to add things to it.

Anyone have any experience with Plex? I like others here am trying to come to some sort of solution for streaming Music, Video, and photos to android devices and HT.

Thanks.

Plex does act as a DLNA server. You need to tick off some box in the preferences. You can also install Plex clients on Android and so on if you want to bypass DLNA. I often use ViMu, a DLNA client, on my GTV box to play Plex content.

philip
Panda84 likes this.
post #70 of 77 Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Liked: 13
Sorry to bump an old thread like this, but having recently discovered DLNA in my samsung f6300 series tv, I'll share my 2¢ worth.

For the longest time, I used an older pc (q9550 cpu, 4gb ram, win7 pro) as a htpc. Its link to the network was via gigabit (windows file sharing), plenty of bw and cpu power via vlc for even the largest blu-ray content (40-50 GB files). Recently got the above tv and continued to use this solution with great results.

Playing with some of the smart features, DLNA came to light as a possible solution to eliminate the pc altogether. I tried several dlna servers on the main media machine including serviio, ps3 media server, and a few others who's names I can't recall. All of these played most of the content, but not all of it. Some played an incorrect audio language (probably a configuration issue), others would not play files that were too big (30gb+?). Some audio was not supported. Transcoding was something I didn't see a need for. Why degrade the quality. Not sure if my issues are a result of the dlna functionality in the tv, or the server software used.

The conclusion I came to was that DLNA is suitable for many things, but not everything. At the end of the day, I'm sticking with my htpc w/vlc and a wireless mouse. It's not the most robust solution, but has played everything i've thrown at it. The cost of the running the additional pc for 2-3/hours per movie is acceptable vs the headache in trying to get a functional dlna solution.
Panda84 likes this.
post #71 of 77 Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM

Yes but the performance blows, thinking of trying serviio, UMS, or go back to ps3mediaserver ..
Panda84 likes this.
post #72 of 77 Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post

Thanks.

Yes, I tried using it it and I hated it. Bad performance, like very bad, specifically using their media UI on my PC. Adding content takes forever ..

Going to try serviio or UMS and if that fails go back to ps3MS
Panda84 likes this.
post #73 of 77 Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Newbie, but I went through several media servers (Serviio, XBMC, Mediatomb and a couple others) discovered KooRaRoo Media and it was a snap to install (windows 7) has has worked flawlessly with my Android, Media Player, VLC, Sony BDP, xbox and LG Tv.
Panda84 likes this.
post #74 of 77 Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks JRMJH, if KooRaRoo performs without having to mess with it all of the time then it sounds like it might be worth the $19.95 (USD), I like their feature to Automatically convert file formats to meet the requirements of the playing device.

I am still looking for a WMC replacement that will save a TV recording from my OTA connected HDhomeRun tuners in something (anything) other than WTV AND provide a robust program guide to aid in selecting the shows that I want to record. I am currently using MCEbuddy to watch a folder, convert & remove commercials from my WTV recordings, this seems to be a very CPU intensive task.
Panda84 likes this.
post #75 of 77 Old 04-19-2014, 01:07 AM

I have to say, I was struggling with finding a media player that would do this and do that

and I discovered that Windows Media Player (so far) is the only one that does everything

I need it to.  I have two Panasonic DLNA enabled devices on my network (MY television

and my Blu-Ray player) and it seemed each refused to play the majority of file types I tried.

Once I started using WMP, I could created and manage play lists from withing the media

player etc that I was originally spinning my wheels trying to get working in other programs.

One issue I originally ran into was: I have a very large "video clip" library I've accumulated

over the years and , I was running  into the issue of the WMP playlists maxing out at some

number in the three hundreds.  All you have to do is re-save the playlist or rename it as .m3u

and you can continue to add to your play list to your hearts content.  

I'm still looking for something a little more cleaner/ professional looking that does the same thing only

less microsoftish.  

For example:

It would be nice if you could sort and search the DLNA play window pops up once you've made your

selection in media player and tell it to play to your TV or whatever. (It's a separate smaller window at

that point)   There's the move up, move down, and remove option. No Sorting.  It would handy if you have big play list play to be able to search it or sort it by name or date So you can play something in particular next without having to scroll and stare at the window hoping to catch it as it goes by.  That's my main complaint.  Other than that. WMP is the way to go if you're having troubles getting  the whole DLNA thing working the way you want it.  I should mention I'm on Windows 8.1 so I'm using WMP 12.0.9600.  

Sorry this is WAY wordier than I intended.  

Panda84 likes this.
post #76 of 77 Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM

Hi Guys, anyone tried Sony's Homestream Server, I have done a lot of research and I am ok with this. It stream any videos (BlueRay, 1080,720p seamlessly.
Panda84 likes this.
post #77 of 77 Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 AM

avs is place for me :D

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page