Boxee Box Or WD TV Live Hub? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm having the same dilemma and I'm wondering which one of these would be more wife and 6-year old daughter friendly. I am really only concerned with the ability to stream via my DLNA setup (Mezzmo) and how easy it is to access that feature. I tried the Pivos AIOS, but the idea of having to use the file manager to access UPnP/DLNA is ridiculous. With my PS3, it was as simple as going to the "Video" tab in the Crossbar and scrolling down to the Mezzmo icon. Is either of these that simple or close to it?

We're not afraid to relearn how to do it, so long as it's a simple process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post

I'm having the same dilemma and I'm wondering which one of these would be more wife and 6-year old daughter friendly. I am really only concerned with the ability to stream via my DLNA setup (Mezzmo) and how easy it is to access that feature. I tried the Pivos AIOS, but the idea of having to use the file manager to access UPnP/DLNA is ridiculous. With my PS3, it was as simple as going to the "Video" tab in the Crossbar and scrolling down to the Mezzmo icon. Is either of these that simple or close to it?

We're not afraid to relearn how to do it, so long as it's a simple process.

What is it you're looking to stream exactly through Mezzmo? I'm not entirely familiar with what that does, but I imagine it's similar to PlayOn?
post #33 of 33 Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

What is it you're looking to stream exactly through Mezzmo? I'm not entirely familiar with what that does, but I imagine it's similar to PlayOn?

Basically, I'm wanting to stream locally stored media (.jpg, .tif, .mp3, .mp4, .avi and .m2ts files) from my PC to 3 different televisions in the home.

Playon is similar to Mezzmo in that they can both be used to stream locally stored media to DLNA/UPnP equipped devices like a PS3 or Xbox 360. Mezzmo is a little more geared towards the local storage while PlayOn appears to focus more on the online streaming services like Hulu, NetFlix, etc. If you've tried TVersity, PS3 Media Server, Twonky or anything like that, it's very similar.

I've been using the PS3 as a playback device, but the PS3's implementation for Cinavia DRM protection is making it difficult so I need to replace it with something like the Boxee, WD Live, Popcorn Hour, etc.

If I hadn't already spent hours setting up my libraries, playlists, metadata and artwork with Mezzmo, I would probably just use the network playback features on one of the devices. The DLNA process just streamlines the whole thing so smoothly when it's properly implented.

I'm just looking for someone to let me know how the DLNA server is accessed through the UI of the Boxee Box, WD Live Hub or similar device and whether the album art is preserved so that my six year old can easily browse her Barbie DVD collection with as little interference from us as possible.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
The Boxee Box By D Link Hd Streaming Media Player , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Network Ready Hd Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page