Router recommendation needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What is the best type of router to buy to stream Netflix HD movies, with a WIRED connection? I want it to be fast and reliable. Also, it will feed 2 "Mac" laptops when my daughters are home from school. I assume I want a Wireless 'N' router? Do I also need dual band technology? Thanks for any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would also make sure the router has a Gigabit port on both WAN/LAN for future expandability as well.

If it doesn't explicitly say Gigabit it could be referenced as "1000M". So you'd see in the routers description "10/100/1000M". If you only see 10/100M it would mean the router is not Gigabit capable.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. So I need dual band. Do I need "simultaneous dual band"? Does anyone have a specific recommendation that will also work with Mac laptops?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

What is the best type of router to buy to stream Netflix HD movies, with a WIRED connection? I want it to be fast and reliable. Also, it will feed 2 "Mac" laptops when my daughters are home from school. I assume I want a Wireless 'N' router? Do I also need dual band technology? Thanks for any recommendations.

If you're only concerned about Netflix, then any router should do. Netflix HD titles are low bitrate. Even my girlfriends inexpensive Dlink $40 router i set up for her has zero issues with Netflx speeds.

It is a Dlink DIr-615 and has wireless N and no problems with typical conection speeds that most people need like you described.

I've also setup a couple of friends with that inexpensive router and they also have had no issues using it with their families connections.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 12 Old 12-25-2010, 09:37 AM
sa

Liked: 20
Netgear WNDR3700
post #6 of 12 Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Liked: 10
If you only have occasional wifi users, you do not need a dual band router. That is for people with lots of wifi devices.

D-Link makes a great N router that is also gigabit. I wouldn't be too concerned with gigabit on the WAN port. The router will be due for an upgrade before most of us ever get 100Mb at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 16 years and growing in the making (bought the main 5.5's new in 1995)
post #7 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post

If you only have occasional wifi users, you do not need a dual band router. That is for people with lots of wifi devices.

D-Link makes a great N router that is also gigabit. I wouldn't be too concerned with gigabit on the WAN port. The router will be due for an upgrade before most of us ever get 100Mb at home.

Thanks. Do you know the model # of the D-Link?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Do you know the model # of the D-Link?

I think he might mean the D-Link DIR 655 extreme N, it's what I've been using for the past couple of years, you'll pick them up cheap as they are not the latest 'n greatest, but I assure you it's a bloody good router.... Not the simplest around but endlessly configurable. It includes a 4 port Gb switch. I have a NTGR GS 108 switch attach to the router giving me plenty of Gb ports..... I only run one wireless N laptop, my wife's Lenovo has no problems connecting from the other side of the house using wireless, make sure you use the D-Link DWA-140 usb N adapter, no dropped connection & good speed. I have no A,B or G band devices and set the router to N only.... hope this helps

Regards
Peter

p.s.... almost forgot to mention, for anyone using the DWA 140 adapter, don't use the supplied D-Link drivers, they're crap/old.... It uses the Ralink RT 2879 chipset so Google for the - Wireless LAN Driver for Ralink RT2870... much much better. The Lenovo connects @ 270mbps using the USB dongle & Ralink drivers...very stable also
post #9 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the D-Link DIR-655 will work with "MAC" laptops(wirelessly)? My 2 daughters both have MAC laptops.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the D-Link DIR-655 will work with "MAC" laptops(wirelessly)? My 2 daughters both have MAC laptops.

It should work perfectly fine with Macs.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Netgear WNDR3700

this is widely regarded as the best N-router out right now. The new version of it is slated to be released "any time now". It has really really great range too.

Here is a roughly 14 month old review on it from a respected site:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...r3700-reviewed

This is a review of the D-Link-655 A4 revision:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...4-quick-review

The Netgear gets significantly faster speeds. If you can stomach the price, and don't want to wait for the new version of it, it's your best bet.
Here is a link to the WIRED throughput of both routers. The Netgear gets 408.9 while the D-link 655 A4 revision gets 257.x. (the Netgear also wins in WIRELESS throughput)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/
post #12 of 12 Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. I wound up ordering the D-Link 655 from Amazon, for $70.50 shipped.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page