thecus n4100pro or Netgear RND4000-100NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a Netgear Stora that I'm looking to replace. The Stora is only a month old but I want something I can add WAY more storage to and the online access with the Stora is cumbersome. It won't allow me to just add my own folders and ignore their proprietary interface.

I'm considering either the Thecus n4100pro or the Netgear RND4000-100NAS.

I'm leery of the Netgear because of my experience with the Stora. It also has an online interface but it looks much less clunky.

The Thecus has 2 network ports (although I'm not sure what I'd use the second one for).

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have four 2TB drives installed and have drive 1 mirror to drive 2 and drive 3 to mirror to drive 4.

That way I can host all my business files on drive 1 and all my movies, music and photos on drive 3 and everything will be backed up.

IS this what the second network connection is for?

I also need the NAS to be accessible by my Popcorn hour. The Popcorn hour currently "sees" the Stora but I can't make it find the content.

Pity because the Stora is awesome at streaming online and is very cheap.

So lets here some opinions of these two NAS devices. Which would you experts choose?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM

The Thecus has a better processor and performs better, but newegg had/has the 4000 for $300 recently. Either will stream 1080p just fine.

My home theater, 16 years and growing in the making (bought the main 5.5's new in 1995)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...That's what I've read so far as well.

The best I've found the Thecus for is $345 USD and the Netgear at $275 CAD (I live on the Ontario/Michigan border and shop on both sides).
post #4 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
as someone who has owned*both thecus and netgear NAS products for 2 years now there is a huge difference in them.

The netgear products have features that work, are easy to setup and are well supported via their team via phone, email or forum. A++

The thecus products have features that mostly dont work, arenot easy to setup and give you 0 support. They dont return phone calls or emails. Features they advertised at launch of my THecus N5200 still haven't been implimented. There was a firmware bug with the thecus that resulted in data loss.

To me, having a device that actually works as advertised and is actually supported is worth money to me. Thecus doesn't provide that experience.

Sean
post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sean, if this forum had stuff like "buy me a beer" or "give rep points or something, I would have totally just hooked you up. I knew this forum HAD to have some people who had owned one of both.

Thanks for the feedback. Netgear ordered.

Mike
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now that's sorted and NAS ordered....how about hard drives?

For every "WD Caviar sucks" article I see, there's an equal number of "Seagate barracuda sucks" articles.

I'm looking at 2TB drives and will order two now and two later.

I'd prefer reliable drives. So who's had great luck with reliable drives?

Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS?
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI?
WD Caviar Green WD20EARS?

Others?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsfortune View Post

Ok, now that's sorted and NAS ordered....how about hard drives?

For every "WD Caviar sucks" article I see, there's an equal number of "Seagate barracuda sucks" articles.

I'm looking at 2TB drives and will order two now and two later.

I'd prefer reliable drives. So who's had great luck with reliable drives?

Seagate Barracuda ST32000542AS?
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI?
WD Caviar Green WD20EARS?

Others?

I just upgraded from a ReadyNAS NV+ to the ReadyNAS Ultra 4. I had four 500 GB Seagate Barracuda drives in the NV+, and two of them failed after two years. I thought that was a pretty good track record.

I wanted to get four 2TB WD Caviar Black drives for the Ultra 4, but they are not on the hardware compatability list. The green drives are, but you need a certain firmware, an application to re-set the unit so the drive heads don't park so often, etc.

For me, I just want to install it and have it work, so I went with 1TB WD RE4 enterprise drives, which are on the hardware compatability list. I doubled my storage capacity, and the drives *should* be pretty darn reliable, since I am not on the bleeding edge of drive capacity. The 2TB WD RE4 drives were just too expensive for me at this time.

As always, your mileage may vary, and I hope this helps.

Mark
post #8 of 9 Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Actually WD just suggests you leave the park settings as shipped. There is no proof the counter causes issues, and I believe it is Internet myth (but may well be wrong).

My Ultra 4 with WD20EARS performs very well considering the LP drives, better than many report with disks on the HCL. Although if I had been paying attentions and not just buying a newegg combo, I would have purchased disks on the HCL.

All you have to do with the Netgears for the advanced format drives is upgrade the firmware, and pop your disks in. The newer firmware will align on a sector boundary.

Since most of us are using these NAS for movies, and the sector boundary issue doesn't have a noticeable effect on large file transfers, this isn't a big deal anyway.

My home theater, 16 years and growing in the making (bought the main 5.5's new in 1995)
post #9 of 9 Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post

Actually WD just suggests you leave the park settings as shipped. There is no proof the counter causes issues, and I believe it is Internet myth (but may well be wrong).

My Ultra 4 with WD20EARS performs very well considering the LP drives, better than many report with disks on the HCL. Although if I had been paying attentions and not just buying a newegg combo, I would have purchased disks on the HCL.

All you have to do with the Netgears for the advanced format drives is upgrade the firmware, and pop your disks in. The newer firmware will align on a sector boundary.

Since most of us are using these NAS for movies, and the sector boundary issue doesn't have a noticeable effect on large file transfers, this isn't a big deal anyway.

Interesting. I did not consider the "internet myth" factor, but believe that was posted on the ReadyNAS forums. I did consider that it may have been "enthusiast overkill" to modify the park settings, but those folks usually know what they are doing, right?

Anyway, it seems logical that if the head is parking frequently, that could result in more wear and tear over time. That might be an uninformed conclusion, as I do not really understand how these things work.

I have also been guilty of participating in "enthusiast overkill"...just look at my Audyssey Setup Guide below!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page