So I am ready to embark on a whole networked media room and want to digitalize all my media for streaming including all my DVD's and Blue Rays ( Reg / 3d)
I and need help determining what I need and if i need any additional Equipment to what i currently have and how to set it up including Software
- Cat6 in walls all heading to a centralized office
- Router in office plugging connecting all Cat 6 cables. ( Need Gigernet Router)
- Old PC with 3GB Ram and AMD Athlon 2.3ghz
- Stand Alone Server with 2 Terabytes Disk Space - 3-4GB Ram - Xenon CPU's
I have access to all MICROSOFT SOFTWARE including the whole 2010 Suite (Win 7, Server 2010 etc)
- Xbox 360
- Mitsubishi 65" DLP 3d
So basically I want to network my whole entertainment system to a Central Store where I have all my DVD's and Blue Rays Ripped.
From a Blue Ray Standpoint it looks like .MKV is the best format to rip and wrap to at the moment. Want to have 5.1 or 7.1 included.
Still deciding on DVD format.
1. How should I setup my computers and what software / OS should install on each? Do I only need 1 of the computer?
2. Are the computers powerful enough?
3. If there a way to play all different formatted media especially Blue Ray and 3d Movies? Will play music as well.
4. How do I set my Xbox or PS3 up to this as I only have one cable drop...Switch or Splitter?
5. I saw the PopCorn hour boxes. Do I need one of these? Is there software similar i can run on the PC's that have a cool interface when I switch my TV to the HDMI the Media server will be used on?
6. I need a Gigernet router and see that some people then add on a Switch. Do I need a Gigernet Router and a Gigernet Switch...WHY? Also what is a good one to get?
Any questions or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.