Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/s...d-next-gen-st/

Article text:
XBMC might be most famous for spawning Boxee, but the original project is still going strong -- and it just got a big boost from Sigma Design, which will support it directly on its new TV streamer SoCs. Sigma chips are already used in streamers like the Popcorn Hour and WDTV Live, so we'd expect to see similar products make use of XBMC directly in the future -- just another sign that the connected TV space is growing by leaps and bounds. Sigma's demoing its XBMC port here at CES, we'll let you know when we go check it out.

Now, this is Engadget, so file it under rumor as these guys are terrible at teh journalismz. They do link to the Sigma press release though, which specifically states XBMC.

If I can bring back the functionality of my XBMC Xbox with modern 1080p hardware, I will be in media heaven. My PS3 is doing a good enough job, but in many ways it is still a major step back from XBMC Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Liked: 10
XBMC on a small powerful media streamer would be amazing. Can't wait to see what comes of it all.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 93
Oh certainly. Every other OS that I've played with on a variety of streamers has been utter garbage. So terrible in fact that streaming through the PS3 has become my default player. That requires container swapping for MKV to M2TS though for good playback.
post #4 of 35 Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Yeah, I was doing that for a while, but then made the switch to an acer revo with xbmc. Absolutely love xbmc with a nice skin.. Only problem is a $300 revo is neither pretty nor cheap when you need to put one in 3-4 rooms.
post #5 of 35 Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Its probably more than a rumor as this is on the front page of XBMC.org today. Still means the finished product is several months off but its probably worth the wait

K
post #6 of 35 Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I just put XBMC 10 on my Linux Mint 10 HTPC and am controlling it with my Android phone. Very, very nice piece of software.

I was going to get an ION2-based miniPC and load up Ubuntu and XBMC. Does this mean that I should wait now?

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

I just put XBMC 10 on my Linux Mint 10 HTPC and am controlling it with my Android phone. Very, very nice piece of software.

I was going to get an ION2-based miniPC and load up Ubuntu and XBMC. Does this mean that I should wait now?

I did the same thing, installed xbmc on my revo 3700 (ion2), works like a charm, returned the boxee box, i will be getting either another revo or wait for the new sigma. This is great news.
post #8 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/s...d-next-gen-st/

Article text:
XBMC might be most famous for spawning Boxee, but the original project is still going strong -- and it just got a big boost from Sigma Design, which will support it directly on its new TV streamer SoCs. Sigma chips are already used in streamers like the Popcorn Hour and WDTV Live, so we'd expect to see similar products make use of XBMC directly in the future -- just another sign that the connected TV space is growing by leaps and bounds. Sigma's demoing its XBMC port here at CES, we'll let you know when we go check it out.

Now, this is Engadget, so file it under rumor as these guys are terrible at teh journalismz. They do link to the Sigma press release though, which specifically states XBMC.

If I can bring back the functionality of my XBMC Xbox with modern 1080p hardware, I will be in media heaven. My PS3 is doing a good enough job, but in many ways it is still a major step back from XBMC Xbox.

Why havent you moved on to something like a Revo or some other ION box?
There are many inexpensive boxes that can run XBMC or you could build one for under $250 easily. I still have a couple xbox's running xbmc but much prefer the Revo's I also use.

BTW, this has been a pretty good week for XBMC all around. Besides the Sigma announcement:
They introduced a new audio engine that allows bitstreaming HD-audio, added (basic) Blu-Ray Iso playback, and just recently someone wrote a Netflix add-on that works pretty well.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #9 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 AM

Great news.

This makes sense for XBMC as it will allow them to become an OS like Android is for phones, but for Media Players. I imagine many cheap Sigma based players running XBMC with XBMC getting licencing fees. The new Sigma chips are the 8670 and 8690 btw.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM

If Apple had a clue they would of left a backdoor on the ATV 2 ($99) so XBMC could easily be installed on it. My understanding is that the hacks have demonstrated that it will play 1080p. I guess the same could be said for Sony and Billy G and the 360s. But the point is 99 U$ is a good price.
post #11 of 35 Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

BTW, this has been a pretty good week for XBMC all around. Besides the Sigma announcement:
They introduced a new audio engine that allows bitstreaming HD-audio, added (basic) Blu-Ray Iso playback, and just recently someone wrote a Netflix add-on that works pretty well.

What hardware would you suggest to be able to play hd-audio files with xbmc?
I have the feeling that whatever hardware you choose there is always a downside.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Sigma's proven reliability, performance and picture / audio quality together with XBMC's excellent interface, compatibility and scraping abilities is a match made in heaven!
post #13 of 35 Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but any new information on these Sigma players with XBMC. I have a Boxee Box, but although it is the best of the media streamers I did try, I prefer XBMC that I have installed on my office PC and would love to have that experience in my living room without having to deal with maintaining an HTPC.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #14 of 35 Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but any new information on these Sigma players with XBMC. I have a Boxee Box, but although it is the best of the media streamers I did try, I prefer XBMC that I have installed on my office PC and would love to have that experience in my living room without having to deal with maintaining an HTPC.

What they showed at CES was displayed on a Sigma 8656 chipset - but I think that chipset won't be able to fully handle it good - so it might be used on the Sigma 8910 which can definately run XBMC, but won't be available till 2012... that is why this thread kind of quited down...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #15 of 35 Old 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post
. . . so it might be used on the Sigma 8910 which can definitely run XBMC, but won't be available till 2012...
And if history is our teacher, then the first devices with that chip won't be released until right before the holiday season, and those players will be awfully buggy. Usable players won't be available until mid-2013.
post #16 of 35 Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Nice. I'm fairly lazy, hence the Boxee Box but I think I might just look into the Xtreamer Ultra since it's pre-built and has an IR remote that can wake the thing and also be controlled by my Harmony. It's a little pricier than one I could probably build myself, but honestly, I don't want to go through that. I hope the user reviews are positive on this thing because I'm heard a lot of bad buzz about this company and their products.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #17 of 35 Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Well, its a year later. Where is the Sigma hardware with XBMC on it?
post #18 of 35 Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraemer View Post

Well, its a year later. Where is the Sigma hardware with XBMC on it?

CES is just days away. If there is going to be any news around this time of the year, it will be then.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I've heard a lot of good things about XBMC, but I've never tried it yet. I'm looking for a second media player so it would be nice to know, which media players will be able to have XBMC so I can try it out.

I've got a A-300, which does a nice job at playing HD / SD movies, but it has been a PIA to set up...I'm still testing and trying to make the NMJ work correctly.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #20 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 AM

XBMC running on a £22 ($35) 'computer':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQg-BTVxWAA

Food for thought. The problem with Sigma and XBMC is that they have been trailing it for so long that other technology is likely to catch up and overtake before we see the 8910.
post #21 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboum View Post

XBMC running on a £22 ($35) 'computer':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQg-BTVxWAA

Food for thought. The problem with Sigma and XBMC is that they have been trailing it for so long that other technology is likely to catch up and overtake before we see the 8910.

iboum,

I saw this video linked by CNX-Software on his blog and left this comment: http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/01/.../#comment-5881

I agree that Sigma is being very lazy / not reacting to market trends fast enough. SMP8910 was seen in action last CES (I saw it with my own eyes), and 2012 CES is next week, but I haven't seen any manufacturers even announcing a 8910 box.

On the other hand, Marvell's solution is also maturing rapidly, and it looks like the ARMADA 1500 (88DE3100) will have a box based on it released before the SMP 8910 box. With similar 3D GPUs, XBMC performance is bound to be similar. Advantage is that the ARMADA 1500 is ARM based and there are already a few ARM ports of XBMC running around. Another advantage of the Marvell SoC is that it supports more codecs than the 8910. Whatever VXP post processing can be provided by the 8910 is bound to be matched by the Qdeo engine in the 88DE3100.

I hope XBMC developers concentrate on the new Google TV platform (88DE3100) rather than some underpowered SoC like the one in the Raspberry Pi.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #22 of 35 Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

I will be attending CES 2012 again this year... If I see some thing interesting I will try to take pictures or videos and post on this thread and other AVS Forum threads...

Quote:

Another advantage of the Marvell SoC is that it supports more codecs than the 8910.

I thought that Sigma SoC will support more codecs than Marvell SoC?

I have two players from the same brand - I have the Fusion HD with Sigma 8655AD & Fusion XS with Marvell 88DE3010... while my brother has the Popcorn A-200 with Sigma 8643... and right now the Marvell SoC needs some catching up to do to come close to the Sigma 8655 & 8643 of my other two players in terms of codec support...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #23 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

I thought that Sigma SoC will support more codecs than Marvell SoC?

The list supplied to the public is the list actually supported by the hardware. SDK might not have all of them enabled, but it can be said that if a specific codec doesn't play (but it is in the spec list), a firmware update will be able to get it up and running.

Anyways, official list for the 88DE3100 is:
  1. H.264 High Profile @ Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5; Multiple View Coding
  2. VC-1 Advanced profile @ level 3, WMV9 MP@HL
  3. MPEG-2 MP@HL, MP@ML
  4. MPEG4 SP@L3, ASP@L5, DIVX-HD
  5. AVS 6.2
  6. VP6/8 SD and HD
  7. RV9/10 (RMVB up to 1080p)

Official list for the 8910 is:
  1. MPEG-4.10 (H.264) BP@L3, MP@L4.2, HP@L4.2, MVC
  2. SMPTE 421M (VC-1) MP@HL, AP@L3, WMV9 MP@HL
  3. MPEG-2 MP@HL
  4. MPEG-4.2 ASP@L5 (up to HD, 1-point GMC)
  5. AVS Jizhun profile@L2.0, 4.0, 6.0
  6. DV (IEC 61834 and SMPTE 314M)
  7. RMVB v9, v10

In summary,
  • Marvell gets L5.0 H.264 support, AVS 6.2, VP6 and VP8 over Sigma Designs
  • Sigma Designs gets DV over Marvell

I think DV is a very low volume market compared to VP8 (which is the WebM codec). I think Marvell wins the battle of the specs, but that is only 10% of the story!

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #24 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Wow... that is good know... always glad you are on the forums Jakmal! Thank-you for your contributions...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #25 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I hope XBMC developers concentrate on the new Google TV platform (88DE3100) rather than some underpowered SoC like the one in the Raspberry Pi.

XBMC devs are not focusing on Android as the OS is simply not in a state where it can run XBMC, they continuly look into it as the situation is improving slowly with each passing of the Android NDK but it is a waiting game.

Even with delays I believe your far more likely to see Sigma Design's port of XBMC be the first proper commercial XBMC derived set top boxes then any other platform (unless team XBMC have any surprise partnerships up their sleeve).

If Marvell had any brains they would do what Sigma is doing and port XBMC to the Armada 1500 (under linux) and sell it as media front end for STB's that any licensee can tailor to their hearts wish. I'd be surprised if Boxee don't use the Armada 1500 as well. Other than Marvell the only other major Arm chipset vendor in media player world is Amlogic and neither company appears to have the foresight into porting XBMC & leverage it against Sigma/Realtek.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM

official list for the 88DE3100 is:
H.264 High Profile @ Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5; Multiple View Coding
VC-1 Advanced profile @ level 3, WMV9 MP@HL
MPEG-2 MP@HL, MP@ML
MPEG4 SP@L3, ASP@L5, DIVX-HD
AVS 6.2
VP6/8 SD and HD
RV9/10 (RMVB up to 1080p)

Multiple View Coding? Is that MVC Full 1080P HD 3D Bluray ISO support?
What about networt protocols? Does it support: NFS, Samba, FTP?

Then theres how well developed of their SDKs? Then, how well its all put together by the media player makers.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I really like the interface of xbmc, but my concern is can you play full blu-ray folder structure with menu's through it?

That would be a killer for me.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

XBMC devs are not focusing on Android as the OS is simply not in a state where it can run XBMC, they continuly look into it as the situation is improving slowly with each passing of the Android NDK but it is a waiting game.

Even with delays I believe your far more likely to see Sigma Design's port of XBMC be the first proper commercial XBMC derived set top boxes then any other platform (unless team XBMC have any surprise partnerships up their sleeve).

If Marvell had any brains they would do what Sigma is doing and port XBMC to the Armada 1500 (under linux) and sell it as media front end for STB's that any licensee can tailor to their hearts wish. I'd be surprised if Boxee don't use the Armada 1500 as well. Other than Marvell the only other major Arm chipset vendor in media player world is Amlogic and neither company appears to have the foresight into porting XBMC & leverage it against Sigma/Realtek.

I couldn't agree more.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Unfortunately it looks as though there was not a single XBMC+Sigma related announcement at CES. It all looked so rosy a year ago.
post #30 of 35 Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraemer View Post

Unfortunately it looks as though there was not a single XBMC+Sigma related announcement at CES. It all looked so rosy a year ago.

Yeah disappointing, some of the team xbmc guys said maybe next year for exciting things to be shown at CES whether they were referring to Sigma or something else was never stated, I'm hoping it's something else & Sigma are still on track for this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I really like the interface of xbmc, but my concern is can you play full blu-ray folder structure with menu's through it?

That would be a killer for me.

It's Sigma Design's port of XBMC not team XBMC's build so it's entirely possible they could do that, given enough resources and time they could plug in their own BD menu support of course with the spectre of Cinavia that may not be all to pleasing to some, the VLC guys are working on libbluray with the hope of getting menus working so perhaps one day XBMC will be able to integrate libbluray and Cinavia will not be a problem any more.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page