Synology DS1511+ first look (mini review) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 581 Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Bought this yesterday and 2g memory kit as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cd_asin_lnk

Anyone suggest any link for the good practice configuring this NAS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 581 Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
by no means I'm a RAM expert but in talking with synology - they recommended to get a 'high-burst' RAM. You may want to confirm if the one you purchased will do that. I was also told by Synoloy that unless I plan on streaming files to 4 or 5 media streamers, there was no need to purchase the extra RAM.

hmmm..I paid $835 for the same unit a few days back from amazon. I'm calling amazon to request a refund of the difference

I didn't come across any specific guide to setup the unit.

While you are waiting, you can also download the setup guide and the manual and start reviewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Bought this yesterday and 2g memory kit as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cd_asin_lnk

Anyone suggest any link for the good practice configuring this NAS?

post #273 of 581 Old 08-06-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla View Post

Hello All,

I just ordered the 1511+, it is on its way from AMAZON.com - very excited about this device. It is my first 'high' end NAS device. This will be replacing a DLINK-323 - 2TB storage so it is quite a big jump to the 1511+.

My main goal will be to use this device with the popcorn hour C-200 media streamer to stream .MKV and BluRay and DVD ISO's. If space permitting, I will also store critical scanned documents, photos and my FLAC collection. Otherwise, I will re-purpose the DLINK-323 for the documents and photos, and only use the 1511+ for movies and music.

Prior to deciding on the 1511+, I was considering two options:

1) Installing Windows Home server
2) installing a dedicated NAS server using FreeNAS or something similar that is free and Linux based.

In the end, by the time I added up all the cost of building a complete server with drives, It was only a $25 difference between the 1511+ with drives. In the end, I opted to with the 1511+

I have also purchased five of the following hitachi drives from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst...1700393&sr=8-1

They are not the high end kind but hopefully, they will work for my needs. The decision of going with which drives was rather simple. TB Size and its cost. The hitachi drives met on both. I was able to get these 3TB drives at for $106 each.

Given, that, what would be a good recommendation - whether to go with RAID5 or RAID6 ? how much space would I get with either when it has been fully configured ?

thanks,

Congrats. That must have been one hella of server you were building. I built my 6 bay unraid box for $280 totally complete. Still use everything except the case from that build (upgraded to a 20 bay case and bigger PS though).

Me I would go with Raid5 till you get more drives...

you will have about 5.4 TB by the time your done.
post #274 of 581 Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
If he has 5 3TB drives he should have about 10.8TB usable after formatting.
post #275 of 581 Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks gadget-zilla. I got installed additional 2g memory and its now showing 3G memory total. This is my first NAS and very happy about the purchase. I'm yet to buy drives for this, currently testing this with 3 *1TB drives. I'm still not decided weather to go with 3 or 2TB. I don't need more than 6TB for now. I believe if i buy 5*2TB its going to be 8TB with SHR. or around 13T if go with 3TB. I'm reading lot of -ive feed back about 3T disks? Anyone recommends 3 or 2 tb? There are 2 brands in WD (i prefer WD) WD30EZRSDTL and WD30EZRX, (Sata3 and 6)? Last week i seen WD30EZRSDTL for 139 in amazon and now it went up 160, so i will wait until it go down...
post #276 of 581 Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone here able to view your photos on a PS3? I am able to see the photos using Photo Station via PC web browser, and also can see the photos using their iPhone app. But on my PS3, it doesn't show any photos. It can see the Disk Station, but when I open the photos folder, it just states no photos available. I am able to stream music from the Disk Station, so it is connecting OK. Any ideas?
post #277 of 581 Old 08-13-2011, 10:50 PM

Anyone know how to share a folder inside main folder of a volume

Suppose i have a volume called volume1 and directory wd_3tb with subdirectories movies, camera, data, personal etc..

i just want to share /volume1/wd_3tb/movies alone? How to do this?
post #278 of 581 Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

If he has 5 3TB drives he should have about 10.8TB usable after formatting.

Can you please explain the math behind this jmpage2? I just bought the DS1511+ along with 5 3TB drives, hoping to have 12 TB of space and was disappointed to see when I only got 10.8 as you said. I thought RAID 5 was -1? Does formatting really take up 1+ TB of space?

Thanks in advance.
post #279 of 581 Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbeas View Post

Can you please explain the math behind this jmpage2? I just bought the DS1511+ along with 5 3TB drives, hoping to have 12 TB of space and was disappointed to see when I only got 10.8 as you said. I thought RAID 5 was -1? Does formatting really take up 1+ TB of space?

I believe this is true in general (not just with Synology) -- you don't really get the full 3 TB after formatting. You will lose some of that space. Synology recognized the drives as 2.75 TB each. If you are using 1 drive redundancy, you'll have 4 drives of space, or 4 x 2.75 = approx 11 TB.

Edit: Maybe this is a better explanation:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9122536AAhBAol
post #280 of 581 Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbeas View Post

I just bought the DS1511+ along with 5 3TB drives, hoping to have 12 TB
of space and was disappointed to see when I only got 10.8 as you said.

Manufacturers use engineering measures: a gigabyte is 1,000,000,000
bytes. Windows uses CS measures: a gigabyte is 1,073,741,824
(1024*1024*1024) bytes.

A drive advertised as "1 TB" stores approximately 931 GB. Your array
stores 931 GB * 3 * 4 ≈ 10.8 TB.
post #281 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just order a DS1511+ to replace my aging Thecus N5200 (NON Pro). The thecus is still working great but it has 5 500GB discs in RAID 6 and my upgrade options are somewhat limitted.

I have not decided on hard drives for the DS1511 yes but Im thinking either 5 seagate 5900RPM 2TB drives or 5 WD Green 3TB drives. Any opinions on these drives? I will primarily be streaming Music/Pictures/High Def Videos and storing some files...

Also, I'm thinking of adding this Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 800MHz PC2-6400 DDR2 CL5 SODIMM Notebook Memory (KVR800D2S5/2G) module. I think this should work fine but does anyone have better suggestions?

Lastly, I was thinking of going RAID 6 again to be extra safe with my data but I would love to hear opinions on going some other path. I like the extra disc of redundancy of raid 6 over raid 5 personally.

-Evan
post #282 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have five of the older LP series Seagate green 5900 RPM drives, all 2TB.

I did have a strange problem where I had two of the discs, within a week or two of each other, report that they were in a faulted state. I replaced the disc in each case with a spare (a sixth LP drive) and ran diagnostics which reported the drives were fine.

I have never found out what caused the problem, but it has not recurred since then and it has been months. Perhaps a firmware update from Synology cleared it up, or maybe the drives were vibrating out of the enclosure (I changed the rack location after all of this happened to put it in a more stable place).

I don't think you need to add RAM unless you are planning on hosting a massive amount of clients or running tons of add-ons. Monitor the performance before you worry about it.

RAID 6 is always preferable to RAID 5 as long as RAID 6 will still give you the amount of storage you require. It's also easier to go RAID 6 initially as doing it later will require a full rebuild of the volume...

Also, for what it's worth SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) gives you the option of doing two disc redundancy, so it's very similar to RAID 6 but you get the benefit of growing the volume later by increasing the size of individual drives.
post #283 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Now, I have my own question. What are Synology users doing to back up Windows clients to the Synology box? Synology includes their replicator 3 software, but it does not support doing full bare metal restore.

I have been contemplating replacing the aging Windows Home Server at my wife's business with a Synology box, but she really relies on the seamless nightly backups that WHS does for her 8+ Windows client computers.
post #284 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:

What are Synology users doing to back up Windows clients to the Synology box?

This is my approach, although it may be dated. I set it up years ago.

I have a share for each client's backup on the Synology. I then have Acronis True-Image scheduled to run on each client on a different night each week, backing up that client's drive to the Synology share. I also have the Synology backup those shares to the weekly USB backup drive that gets swapped to the safety-deposit box.

However, those client backups are always pretty light. The client disks store only the system, as all user files are hosted on the Synology.
post #285 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

This is my approach, although it may be dated. I set it up years ago.

I have a share for each client's backup on the Synology. I then have Acronis True-Image scheduled to run on each client on a different night each week, backing up that client's drive to the Synology share. I also have the Synology backup those shares to the weekly USB backup drive that gets swapped to the safety-deposit box.

However, those client backups are always pretty light. The client disks store only the system, as all user files are hosted on the Synology.

Hi Mark, thanks for responding. This is kind of what I had in mind, but it's a very painful approach compared to WHS which of course only backs up the different/changed files for each client, so that you don't have to have multiple copies of all of the OS and applications files (one set for each machine).

I will have to think some more on this.... right now looks like I am stuck with WHS for my wife's office as I don't think I can afford the storage and numerous software licenses I would have to purchase for backup software.
post #286 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 PM

I recently bought ds1511+ as well and really very happy with my first NAS purchase. It has lot of options to play with. I decided to go with Hitachi 3tb drives (7200rpm) as i can have max 15tb. This was my first Hitachi drive purchase as i always go with WD, but unfortunately for 3Tb wd just have 5400 rpm drives only. I initially bought 2*3TB and used SHR, it configured itself raid0 with 1 disk redundancy and i just added one more disk today and its expanding to raid5 itself (showing about 5TB for 3*3TB)
I bought the same memory in your link, but believe me, i didn't see the memory usage went more than 7%.
I have changed the web page to SSL, but yet to open to the outside the firewall. (I'm little scared about security) Any one know whats the safest port that i can open for Synology to access my files outside firewall? (SSH/SFtp/22?)? 5001-https? Is it safe to open 24/7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post
Just order a DS1511+ to replace my aging Thecus N5200 (NON Pro). The thecus is still working great but it has 5 500GB discs in RAID 6 and my upgrade options are somewhat limited.

I have not decided on hard drives for the DS1511 yes but Im thinking either 5 seagate 5900RPM 2TB drives or 5 WD Green 3TB drives. Any opinions on these drives? I will primarily be streaming Music/Pictures/High Def Videos and storing some files...

Also, I'm thinking of adding this Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 800MHz PC2-6400 DDR2 CL5 SODIMM Notebook Memory (KVR800D2S5/2G) module. I think this should work fine but does anyone have better suggestions?

Lastly, I was thinking of going RAID 6 again to be extra safe with my data but I would love to hear opinions on going some other path. I like the extra disc of redundancy of raid 6 over raid 5 personally.

-Evan
post #287 of 581 Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post
. . . Any one know whats the safest port that i can open for Synology to access my files outside firewall?
My personal preference is to use a 5-digit port, picked at random. The script-kiddies rarely scan ports above 10,000. It just takes to long to scan all 65,536 ports for very little return. Even if they find the port open, determining a port's protocol is a another chore.
post #288 of 581 Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you are using https for the file web share feature and remote management, then it is secure, even if you chose to use the default ports for these features.

However, this is dependent on only allowing those accounts with strong passwords to have remote access.

My only account that is open in such a fashion has an 18 character password with upper/lower/numeric/special characters, so good luck with that one script kiddies.
post #289 of 581 Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM

Just curious if anyone here is using a DS1511+ with WD 3TB drives, specifically WD30EZRX models?

If so what kind of transfer speeds do you see when moving large movie files from pc to NAS) (And vice versa I suppose)
post #290 of 581 Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

My personal preference is to use a 5-digit port, picked at random. The script-kiddies rarely scan ports above 10,000. It just takes to long to scan all 65,536 ports for very little return. Even if they find the port open, determining a port's protocol is a another chore.

Quote:

If you are using https for the file web share feature and remote management, then it is secure, even if you chose to use the default ports for these features.

However, this is dependent on only allowing those accounts with strong passwords to have remote access.

My only account that is open in such a fashion has an 18 character password with upper/lower/numeric/special characters, so good luck with that one script kiddies.

And you can also set the synology to block IP address on XX failed attempts in YY minutes.

So if you set it to 3 failed attempts in 10mins... it won't be worth the effort if they keep getting blocked.
post #291 of 581 Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, good point, and I had actually done that (set it to block an IP if it tries three times in 10 minutes to log in unsuccessfully).
post #292 of 581 Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Did you know you can install mods/3rd party apps on these NAS boxes? Has anyone tried playing with these, like a DLNA server perhaps?
post #293 of 581 Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 PM

Hello everyone,

WoW, 10 pages and growing. I am interested in picking up the DS1511+. It will be used primarily as a media server hooked up to my network. I will also install Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and possible Couch Potato as well. And will probably run a few of the other servers too. This unit appears to be at the 9th (10th) month of its life cycle. Would it be best to wait a couple of more months for the new model, or this model plenty powerful?

I appreciate any incites.
post #294 of 581 Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla View Post

daaaaang... I sure didn't.

The ones I purchased, they are 5400RPM and labeled as 'coolspin' so hopefully, heating shouldn't be a concern. They have already shipped so at this point, I will try them out, if they don't work out, I'll return them back to amazon.

How did these drives work out for you? Any issues with them? Are you still using them or did you return them for something else?
post #295 of 581 Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Yes, I'm using 5*3TB WD30EZRX without any problems so far. I just got ~80-90MB/sec transfer of a BD image from my Mac Pro to the 1511+ using gigabit connection. I have my Time Machine set up to the 1511+ and other than taking forever (over 1 week) to get the initial TM downloaded to the 1511+, it now runs so quickly in the background I rarely notice it running. Haven't tried to set the 1511+ to be my main iTunes library yet (I've got over 2TB of lossless music files so far).
post #296 of 581 Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

I am probably going to be buying one of these in the very near future, is anyone else interested in buying one of these soon? Should we try to get together and create a large order to try and get better pricing?

For all of you that have already bought one, where did you buy yours?
post #297 of 581 Old 09-24-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhays View Post

I didn't get the same model, but I got my Synology from NewEgg.
post #298 of 581 Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Liked: 13
I got my 1511 plus 2x 510s at NCIX.com
post #299 of 581 Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:

How did these drives work out for you? Any issues with them? Are you still using them or did you return them for something else?

The drives I purchased have been working flawlessly - no issues whatsoever
post #300 of 581 Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I am probably going to be buying one of these in the very near future, is anyone else interested in buying one of these soon? Should we try to get together and create a large order to try and get better pricing?

Amazon dot com
No tax and free shipping :-)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page