Synology DS1511+ first look (mini review) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 581 Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. This thread was a great read with information so useful that I'm going to jump into the pool and maybe at the deep end.

I have an opportunity to pick up a "new" open box DS 2411+ at about 1/3 off. Good idea or go for the new 2413+?

This will replace a cranky Acer H340 for pc backup and music streaming. But want to grow into DVD and Blu-ray storage/streaming. Now jmpage2 brings up new models. I'm not interested in paralysis by analysis just want to avoid buyers remorse in the near future. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 581 Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Well, the biggest "drawback" to any of the DS24 models is that they are going to consume quite a bit more power than the more home-SMB oriented machines like the DS18 and DS15 series.

As far as capabilities if the DS2411 meets your needs and you can get a good price I see little reason to spend more on the current model, as it will only have a slightly faster cpu and possibly upgrade of peripherals (USB 3 vs USB 2, etc).
post #453 of 581 Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclaw View Post

Hi. This thread was a great read with information so useful that I'm going to jump into the pool and maybe at the deep end.

I have an opportunity to pick up a "new" open box DS 2411+ at about 1/3 off. Good idea or go for the new 2413+?

This will replace a cranky Acer H340 for pc backup and music streaming. But want to grow into DVD and Blu-ray storage/streaming. Now jmpage2 brings up new models. I'm not interested in paralysis by analysis just want to avoid buyers remorse in the near future. Thanks

Rumor on the new models is we may not see them until the next Intel chip is released which may be the end of the year.

How much is the 2411? Personally I would opt for the newer hardware, but it depends on how much of a discount we are talking also.

I found the 1812+ to be a better value than the 2413+ unless you will need that amount of space in one volume. The 1812+ at the Amazon price, $999.99, works out to be $125.00 per bay with the expansion unit, DX513, running $100 per bay at the $499.99 price point. The 2413+ runs $141.67 per bay at $1699.99. I really think the 2413+ should have come in at a lower price point rather than $1699 from Amazon. At $1499 it would have cost the same per bay as the 1812+, but still more expensive per bay than the 1812+ and the DX513.
post #454 of 581 Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Also, from looking at this review, the DS2411 is actually slower than the DS1511, but power consumption is not bad. More than likely either one are more than adequate for most home users.

http://www.techspot.com/review/426-synology-diskstation-ds2411-plus/page13.html
post #455 of 581 Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM

This unit comes in at $93 per bay (plus tax) and it it truly new and not used - full warranty.
With a 30 day return option can't see why not give it a try.

.Great link Thank you
post #456 of 581 Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Thanks to the OP and contributors to this thread, as it has been a great reference for setting up my new system. Finally decided to move away from my EX495 (with USB and eSata enclosures totaling 16 x 2 tb drives). So I purchased the DS1812+ and initially populated it with 6 x 4tb drives using Raid 5. Took around 48 hrs for data scrubbing to be completed and 24 hrs to optimize file structure. Once done, set up shared folders, transferred a few movie files (BD iso) and each of my dune players "see" the NAS via smb without issue and playback has been rock solid. I kept the file structure the same as on the EX495 and didn't have to make any changes to Zapitti other than point it to a different IP and export location (can't recall who suggested this....but thank you!). Thought for sure I would have to re-scrape all my movies. Anyway, couldn't believe there were no snags or issues cool.gif and it couldn't have been easier to set up other than the amount of time to get the volume ready. Thus, my question.....would I save significantly more time by expanding the volume now (adding additional 4tb drives and EX510) before transferring additional data? I'll need to expand at some point in the near future, just curious if significant differences depending on the amount of data already present.

Cheers,
post #457 of 581 Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It is going to take about the same time to add another disk to the volume whether you do it now or later. The good news for you is that it volume expansion on the Synology boxes does not impact the performance that I have noticed.... so other than it taking a really long time I don't see any downside.

If you are running the latest version it now has support for a "hot spare". You can put a disk in, designate it a "hot spare" and then if a drive goes down the Synology will automatically grab the hot spare and rebuild the volume to reduce your risk of a second disk failure happening before you get a chance to repair wiping out your volume.

The only reason to "wait" on expanding your system is the hope that drive prices will continue to drop (which they will, but on 4TB media it might take a while).
post #458 of 581 Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

If you are running the latest version it now has support for a "hot spare". You can put a disk in, designate it a "hot spare" and then if a drive goes down the Synology will automatically grab the hot spare and rebuild the volume to reduce your risk of a second disk failure happening before you get a chance to repair wiping out your volume.
Thanks for the response....yes running DSM 4.2 and trying to decide between changing to Raid 5 + hot spare or Raid 6 once I add additional drives.

Cheers,
post #459 of 581 Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

To change to RAID6 you will have to rebuild the entire volume unless they have changed something.
post #460 of 581 Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:

To change to RAID6 you will have to rebuild the entire volume unless they have changed something.

From 4.2 user guide, seems it may have changed.

Cheers,
post #461 of 581 Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just completed reading the entire thread. Very helpful and special thanks to jmpage2 for starting and managing this discussion.

I've been using an HP Media Smart Server for several years now for backup, streaming video collection, music, and other odds and ends. Also added a 'head' unit to gain more flexibility, better CPU, and more memory. It has been a great unit for the several years I've had it but it is time to upgrade. I've run out of capacity - currently at 7TB. I could bump this up or add an expansion unit but adding 3TB drives are a pain (WHS V1) and I'm reluctant to buy smaller drives. So time to move to the Synology camp.

1512/13+ or 1812+?
I'm either going to buy a 1512/13+ or 1812+. I'm leaning towards the 1812+ given my current and expected requirements. Any reason to buy the the 1512/13+ over the 1812+?

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 or Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB?
I will start with 5 or 6 of these drives. The Seagates are very slightly less expensive and faster but maybe not as green. The WDs are slower but 'supposed' to be more reliable and more energy efficient. I don't run my server 24/7 so I'm discounting the energy efficiency. I've got a mix of drives in my HP including a 3TB WD green. Speed hasn't been an issue for my purposes. So, in the end, reliability is most important if everything else is more or less equal. So what would you buy?

Which RAID?
I add 2 to 3 TBs of data per year. Given the number of discs this requires, I'm thinking I'm better off with SHR-2. I understand that whatever RAID I start with would require a complete rebuild if I choose to change later. I do plan to implement a backup strategy for 'important' files but not sure that I'll do the same for the ripped videos. I can always get those back, albeit at some cost of time and money, but if this happens I probably have bigger issues to deal with.

Backup
For now, I'll use my HP Media Smart Server for BU but I expect that to be short-term. As I get more comfortable with the Synology I'll end up taking the HP out of service and needing a more robust backup strategy. Simple question, does the Synology BU use any form of compression or is it 1 to 1, i.e., backing up 8TBs of data requires 8TBs of BU medium? Also, are any of the cloud BU strategies effective and cost effective for multi-TB BUs?

Where to buy?
I can get the Synology and HDs on Amazon or Newegg but I see a company by the name of SimplyNAS selling boxes with HDs installed and 'tested'. There is a small premium over what I would pay if I bought the Synology and drives separate. Any value here? I'd normally just assemble the bits myself.

That is it for now. Looking forward to your helpful guidance.

Louis
post #462 of 581 Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you're getting ready to buy now you should wait for the DS1813+. It has the same processor as the DS1812 but adds the new tool-less drive trays found in the DS1513+. Additionally both the DS1813 and DS1513 can support up to four gigabit LACP connections if you have a switch that supports LACP. This means much greater throughput. Both units also support USB 3. Unfortunately neither unit got a processor upgrade for this year.

I would personally recommend buying at Amazon.com unless you have a need to get a device immediately. The advantage of buying direct from Amazon is an extremely no hassle return policy and no restocking fee. If you happen to get a bad unit they will 2nd day air (or even overnight you) a replacement in the first 45 days.

Synology uses a standard 1:1 backup system that basically makes a copy of everything on the volume you want backed up, so you'll need to have some kind of remove system that can handle the large volume sizes.
post #463 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you're getting ready to buy now you should wait for the DS1813+. It has the same processor as the DS1812 but adds the new tool-less drive trays found in the DS1513+. Additionally both the DS1813 and DS1513 can support up to four gigabit LACP connections if you have a switch that supports LACP. This means much greater throughput. Both units also support USB 3. Unfortunately neither unit got a processor upgrade for this year.

I would personally recommend buying at Amazon.com unless you have a need to get a device immediately. The advantage of buying direct from Amazon is an extremely no hassle return policy and no restocking fee. If you happen to get a bad unit they will 2nd day air (or even overnight you) a replacement in the first 45 days.

Synology uses a standard 1:1 backup system that basically makes a copy of everything on the volume you want backed up, so you'll need to have some kind of remove system that can handle the large volume sizes.

Thanks for your reply.

I was considering waiting for the DS1813+ but the four gigabit LACP connections and the tool-less drive trays hardly seem worth it and I'm sure it will cost more. The DS1812+ at $999 seems like a good deal. USB 3 might be worth it but I seldom use USB for transferring large amounts of data. I might think different if I had USB 3 ...confused.gif

When do you think the 1813+ will be available? I can stretch the HP Media Server a bit longer but not much.

Any thoughts on the hard drive or RAID choices for my setup?

Louis
post #464 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 AM

Newbie and budget driven. I used Synology’s list of recommended hard disks and picked the Seagate (ST) 2 TB drive for cost considerations. Tiger has dropped prices since then 3TB for $130 and 2 TB are $90 with a $10 rebate for a few more days. Today I’d go with the 3TB. The WD Reds are too expensive for my purposes – don’t need an enterprise rated drives.

I rely on the SHR to protect the NAS. I have my music file backed-up on a computer and use Seagate 4TB outboard drives (Costco sale $130) for the movie files which I keep in a safe. Work to re-create the library is one issue but in case of fire the original disks are gone. After buying some movies on VHS then Laserdisc then DVD and now Blu-ray… I don’t think I could buy them again I’d end my life streaming. mad.gif

+1 Amazon but also try CDW in the outlet section.
post #465 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Thanks for your reply.

I was considering waiting for the DS1813+ but the four gigabit LACP connections and the tool-less drive trays hardly seem worth it and I'm sure it will cost more. The DS1812+ at $999 seems like a good deal. USB 3 might be worth it but I seldom use USB for transferring large amounts of data. I might think different if I had USB 3 ...confused.gif

When do you think the 1813+ will be available? I can stretch the HP Media Server a bit longer but not much.

Louis

If the improvements of the 1813 don't seem worth it then I would see if the 1812 gets closeout pricing of $100 less in the next few weeks.
post #466 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the improvements of the 1813 don't seem worth it then I would see if the 1812 gets closeout pricing of $100 less in the next few weeks.

Synology just announced availability of the 1813+ at $1,099. I just placed my order on Amazon. I doubt that they are available yet but I'm in line.smile.gif

edit: Received purchase confirmation from Amazon. Says to expect delivery between June 20-27. Not too bad. I'll need to expand the capacity on my HP server or off load some content. Either way I can stretch it for a month.
post #467 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclaw View Post

Newbie and budget driven. I used Synology’s list of recommended hard disks and picked the Seagate (ST) 2 TB drive for cost considerations. Tiger has dropped prices since then 3TB for $130 and 2 TB are $90 with a $10 rebate for a few more days. Today I’d go with the 3TB. The WD Reds are too expensive for my purposes – don’t need an enterprise rated drives.

I rely on the SHR to protect the NAS. I have my music file backed-up on a computer and use Seagate 4TB outboard drives (Costco sale $130) for the movie files which I keep in a safe. Work to re-create the library is one issue but in case of fire the original disks are gone. After buying some movies on VHS then Laserdisc then DVD and now Blu-ray… I don’t think I could buy them again I’d end my life streaming. mad.gif

+1 Amazon but also try CDW in the outlet section.

Thanks for directing me to Tiger Direct. I've not bought much from them in the past. What is their return policy like compared to Amazon?

Tiger Direct has a poor reseller rating - http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Tiger_Direct. Not sure it's worth the few dollars saved.

SHR 1 or 2? I'm leaning towards SHR2 because of the number of disks I'm anticipating long term and my BU strategy may be less than ideal ...rolleyes.gif
post #468 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you will expand beyond one shelf then SHR2 is the better way to go IMO.
post #469 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you will expand beyond one shelf then SHR2 is the better way to go IMO.
That is the plan.
post #470 of 581 Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am waiting to buy 8 bay NAS that can accomodate 8x4=32tb for some time. I found synology 1812+ is good one. However, price is not coming down. Why is it so expensive for so long time? It is just simple desktop and 8 bay slots for hard disk right? Computer prices are coming down, but not NAS. Is it hardware or software that makes this NAS so expensive? I am just trying to see if I wait for more 6 months if it comes to my price range ($500 to $700).

I don't need fault tolerance. I guess RAID 0 or JBOD will exploit all hard drives for media without loosing any drive. Is it worth to buy Synology 1812+ only in case of using RAID other than RAID 0?

Hopefully new release of 1813+ may bring 1812+ little lower.
post #471 of 581 Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

WD 3TB REDS now available at $130 on Amazon and Newegg. I'd bought all 6 on Amazon but for the purchase limit of 4 so I had to split my order. Nonetheless, a good price for these drives for a NAS.
post #472 of 581 Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
A little bit off topic, but I don't know where else to go, precisely.

Question: do I HAVE to have a CPU running on my network for a NAS to function? Set-up and maintenance is one thing, but I cannot assign a dedicated cpu for this. Can't these 4/8 bay boxes simply act as one giant, consolidated, HDD? Even if I go ahead without raid?

It appears no, and I just don't get it. I have two laptops now, but can never guarantee that either of them will be in my home and having to purchase another CPU- new or used- only for this purpose is something I'm simply unwilling to do. I'll just grab two external HDDs and have the PCH scan either if what I'm looking to do cannot happen.

But I'd prefer to grab a single box for many reasons.

Please tell me I have a(n) option(s)!

thanks!
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #473 of 581 Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

What are recommended 4tb drives with 1812+? It seems there is good deal for 3tb. But I want to exploit as much space as possible. Since 1812+ supports 4tb, I may look for deals in near future.
post #474 of 581 Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

A little bit off topic, but I don't know where else to go, precisely.

Question: do I HAVE to have a CPU running on my network for a NAS to function? Set-up and maintenance is one thing, but I cannot assign a dedicated cpu for this. Can't these 4/8 bay boxes simply act as one giant, consolidated, HDD? Even if I go ahead without raid?

It appears no, and I just don't get it. I have two laptops now, but can never guarantee that either of them will be in my home and having to purchase another CPU- new or used- only for this purpose is something I'm simply unwilling to do. I'll just grab two external HDDs and have the PCH scan either if what I'm looking to do cannot happen.

But I'd prefer to grab a single box for many reasons.

Please tell me I have a(n) option(s)!

thanks!
James

No you do not. A PC is needed for initial setup only. Usually you enter the IP address of the NAS in a web browser and set and forget.
post #475 of 581 Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^ cool. That makes this much more navigable now.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #476 of 581 Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I am waiting to buy 8 bay NAS that can accomodate 8x4=32tb for some time. I found synology 1812+ is good one. However, price is not coming down. Why is it so expensive for so long time? It is just simple desktop and 8 bay slots for hard disk right? Computer prices are coming down, but not NAS. Is it hardware or software that makes this NAS so expensive? I am just trying to see if I wait for more 6 months if it comes to my price range ($500 to $700).

I don't need fault tolerance. I guess RAID 0 or JBOD will exploit all hard drives for media without loosing any drive. Is it worth to buy Synology 1812+ only in case of using RAID other than RAID 0?

Hopefully new release of 1813+ may bring 1812+ little lower.
It is expensive because it is specialized hardware and software. It uses better components than a budget desktop. If the 1812 is expensive then you can build a generic 8 bay PC with off the shelf components and run UNRaid on it. Maybe save $300-$400 going that way but you won't get access to everything synology software offers, you have no maintenance or support if something goes wrong and you have a large noisy box that consumes a lot of power all the time.
post #477 of 581 Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It
It is expensive because it is specialized hardware and software. It uses better components than a budget desktop. If the 1812 is expensive then you can build a generic 8 bay PC with off the shelf components and run UNRaid on it. Maybe save $300-$400 going that way but you won't get access to everything synology software offers, you have no maintenance or support if something goes wrong and you have a large noisy box that consumes a lot of power all the time.

Thanks for the reply. It is not worth to save $300 to $400 if I can't make close to it. I did not follow up the pricing. I believe it is same price from one year close to $1000 from all the retailers with discount less than 5%. I thought they can pas any savings in the hardware price drops.

Appreciate if anybody can share recommended 4tb drives. I would like to slowly accumulate them. Meanwhile, can I connect external hard drives through USB hub to 1812+ and access them from Dune or other media player using SMB?
post #478 of 581 Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

Thanks for your reply.

Louis

You mentioned one of the advantage for 1813+ is USB3.0. 1812+ has alreay 2 usdb 3.0 ports right?
post #479 of 581 Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

You mentioned one of the advantage for 1813+ is USB3.0. 1812+ has alreay 2 usdb 3.0 ports right?

I did not check. That is what jmpage2 is saying. For the small price difference I decided to wait and get the newer model. On the other hand, if the price starts to drop on the 1812+, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. Last I checked it was still at $999.
post #480 of 581 Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

There is coupon in thread to get it for $899. Not sure if it is still working.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6059560-Synology-DS1812-Diskless-System-DiskStation-900-with-Free-Shipping-Newegg
Mathelo likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page