post #541 of 581 Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Plex is insanely popular. However I don't think Plex on Synology is particularly popular since Synology boxes lack the horsepower to do much transcoding of video files, which is needed typically for streaming to iPads, etc.

My question is why the job of transcoding cannot be done by the client if it's more up to the task? I can understand how typical residential upload speeds can make this unnavigable remotely, but what about locally? Say and ipad 3 doing the transcoding instead of the 412?

Or perhaps this goes on and I don't know it?

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 581 Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

My question is why the job of transcoding cannot be done by the client if it's more up to the task? I can understand how typical residential upload speeds can make this unnavigable remotely, but what about locally? Say and ipad 3 doing the transcoding instead of the 412?

Or perhaps this goes on and I don't know it?

James

Well, there are a number of reasons why this would be problematic. For starters, you assume that light weight mobile devices have the horsepower to do on-the-fly transcoding of high bitrate files, when in reality, they don't. Think about it this way, to transcode a BD bitrate file, on-the-fly, with Plex, typically requires a very powerful quad core desktop cpu.... which is an order of magnitude faster than what is in a mobile device.

Secondly, you are also expecting that the Plex server and client will do network detection and try to decide if they are on local LAN or Internet, to decide if client side delivery is a good idea. While this is possible, it probably won't happen anytime soon, for the very reasons mentioned above.

Bottom line, Plex is designed to stream and/or transcode media files to clients... it was not designed to get the client to do this work. Synology is probably just powerful enough to handle the library/streaming duties if the files have already been re-encoded into fairly low bit-rate containers. It definitely does not have the cpu power to handle on the fly transcoding of high bitrate files.
aecad likes this.
post #543 of 581 Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Not that I'm aware of, no. If you move/cut/copy the files within an SMB share, it's going to move the files through your machine and back out to the share. As far as I know, that's how SMB works.

So what was then different on my Qnap? There it worked just fine, although I was also using SMB? Could it be a UPnP setting? Should I enable NFS?
post #544 of 581 Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon cleaner View Post

So what was then different on my Qnap? There it worked just fine, although I was also using SMB? Could it be a UPnP setting? Should I enable NFS?

I do not have a QNAP or know much about them so I can't answer your question, I can simply confirm that using SMB what you are describing is "working as expected".
demon cleaner likes this.
post #545 of 581 Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, there are a number of reasons why this would be problematic. For starters, you assume that light weight mobile devices have the horsepower to do on-the-fly transcoding of high bitrate files, when in reality, they don't. Think about it this way, to transcode a BD bitrate file, on-the-fly, with Plex, typically requires a very powerful quad core desktop cpu.... which is an order of magnitude faster than what is in a mobile device.

Secondly, you are also expecting that the Plex server and client will do network detection and try to decide if they are on local LAN or Internet, to decide if client side delivery is a good idea. While this is possible, it probably won't happen anytime soon, for the very reasons mentioned above.

Bottom line, Plex is designed to stream and/or transcode media files to clients... it was not designed to get the client to do this work. Synology is probably just powerful enough to handle the library/streaming duties if the files have already been re-encoded into fairly low bit-rate containers. It definitely does not have the cpu power to handle on the fly transcoding of high bitrate files.

I'm making no assumptions about any "light weight mobile devices"...that's your assumption. I'm simply asking a question, in general. For example: I'm CERTAIN many (myself included) could and would like to use their laptops for such tasks...many of which are more than up to the task in the processing dept.

Further, Plex's own site (and users) says some dual core processors will transcode 1080 just fine, not ALL, but some...and they seem VERY confident that they (lowly dual cores) should handle 720P just fine. Again, this is working off their own site.

Onward, I never realized that detecting the speed of a connection was so terribly onerous. Seems to me it would be EXTREMELY useful in the performance dept if indeed it was done. Again, use can and does go beyond an ipad or iphone.

Last, it's pretty obvious that Plex is not "designed" per se to do what I've asked...it was more of a "possibility" question as to how things could be bettered. I'll be mindful to be much more specific in the future.

thanks

James

post #546 of 581 Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sure, anything is possible, but Plex definitely does not do any of what you describe now, and making those changes would not be trivial. Better idea for you would be to discuss this in a more appropriate venue, like the Plex forum, to see how many others share your optimism about these changes being something that the developers might consider for a future release.
post #547 of 581 Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Plex is insanely popular. However I don't think Plex on Synology is particularly popular since Synology boxes lack the horsepower to do much transcoding of video files, which is needed typically for streaming to iPads, etc.

I'm beginning to think it really isn't (insanely popular).

After a comprehensive online scouring for information on it I would say it's "insanely popular" amongst a very small number of HTPC gurus as- just precisely as you have said- the VAST majority of mobile devices and typical pedestrian (and old) laptops are not up to the task of even using it.

Doesn't really matter though, I never really expected this thing to serve up HD video via WIFI/i-net so I fully expect to wait "x" number of years to upgrade to something that can.

James

post #548 of 581 Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, anything is possible, but Plex definitely does not do any of what you describe now, and making those changes would not be trivial. Better idea for you would be to discuss this in a more appropriate venue, like the Plex forum, to see how many others share your optimism about these changes being something that the developers might consider for a future release.

Unfortunately I'm not really "optimistic" in the slightest re Plex, but rather, think the wait will be on devices that are able to transcode. Like all things re cpu-tech/power, it will happen eventually.

James

post #549 of 581 Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 AM

What's the best torrent client for Synology?
post #550 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

file under "you can't make this $hit up" :

So after having issues getting PLEX running, I decided to give Synology's version "DS VIDEO" a shot.

After indexing my movies I got it up pretty easy...menus/title screens are not spectacular but very serviceable. I was even getting pretty decent non-stuttering video on my iphone and pad off full 1080 rips! But after not getting audio on about 90% of my titles, I did a quick google.

What did I find? Synology- as of the last f-ware update- NO LONGER SUPPORTS DTS!!!

Lmao. Oh, ok. People are of course rightfully livid...especially with no announcement that an arduous-to-revert f-ware update had the change.

They have installed some kind of work around where the app will "call" VLC player (if you have it installed) when a DTS file is presented but it NEVER worked for me in my 20 or so attempts.

I have no clue how they think this is going to fly with their new "super-transcoding" units ready to launch.

And the hits just keep on comin...

post #551 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

file under "you can't make this $hit up" :

So after having issues getting PLEX running, I decided to give Synology's version "DS VIDEO" a shot.

After indexing my movies I got it up pretty easy...menus/title screens are not spectacular but very serviceable. I was even getting pretty decent non-stuttering video on my iphone and pad off full 1080 rips! But after not getting audio on about 90% of my titles, I did a quick google.

What did I find? Synology- as of the last f-ware update- NO LONGER SUPPORTS DTS!!!

Lmao. Oh, ok. People are of course rightfully livid...especially with no announcement that an arduous-to-revert f-ware update had the change.

They have installed some kind of work around where the app will "call" VLC player (if you have it installed) when a DTS file is presented but it NEVER worked for me in my 20 or so attempts.

I have no clue how they think this is going to fly with their new "super-transcoding" units ready to launch.

And the hits just keep on comin...

Perhaps Synology is just not for you???
I very very very rarely see any complaints about it. (I mean overall, not talking about certain applications here and there)

Sometimes you just gotta say "Hey maybe this solution is just not right for me".

My friend has had a unit since launch and he would jump off a cliff for it.. It's been absolutely rock solid for everything he does.
post #552 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I agree, for file storage, which is its primary purpose it is a tank. I have had the rare SMB hiccup when something won't properly connect (maybe one or two times a year) and a restart or update clears it. Otherwise it's been rock solid.

I don't use a lot of these apps for doing things like downloading torrents, transcoding and sharing media, etc. While those things should work, they are really not the focus of the box.... just Synology trying to cater to demand for that stuff and compete with "The Cloud (tm)".
post #553 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

Perhaps Synology is just not for you???
I very very very rarely see any complaints about it. (I mean overall, not talking about certain applications here and there)

Sometimes you just gotta say "Hey maybe this solution is just not right for me".

My friend has had a unit since launch and he would jump off a cliff for it.. It's been absolutely rock solid for everything he does.

But it is virtually a perfect solution for me, just as I said. This is simply another avenue of use for it...one they themselves rather heavily market. confused.gif Check their webpage.

It once offered an area of performance people purchased and used it for...then they completely stripped it of it, without warning.

Of course these people are rightly upset by this. It is a fine all-around device but that by no means doesn't mean there are not valid criticisms of it.

James

post #554 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, for file storage, which is its primary purpose it is a tank. I have had the rare SMB hiccup when something won't properly connect (maybe one or two times a year) and a restart or update clears it. Otherwise it's been rock solid.

I don't use a lot of these apps for doing things like downloading torrents, transcoding and sharing media, etc. While those things should work, they are really not the focus of the box.... just Synology trying to cater to demand for that stuff and compete with "The Cloud (tm)".

Pretty much agree, as I have said. The big problem is- again- that they talk up and advertise such services so it's prolly a good idea to maintain and deliver them...especially at these price points. More and more- rightly or wrongly- are going to expect this or simply look elsewhere. Personally I think the days where you can sell a 6-$700 box on the idea that it will securely hold a bunch of your stuff, alone, are fading fast.

And it seems Synology knows at least this much with these apps and their new focus on transcoding with the upcoming units.

James

post #555 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:

But it is virtually a perfect solution for me, just as I said. This is simply another avenue of use for it...one they themselves rather heavily market. confused.gif Check their webpage.

It once offered an area of performance people purchased and used it for...then they completely stripped it of it, without warning.

Of course these people are rightly upset by this. It is a fine all-around device but that by no means doesn't mean there are not valid criticisms of it.

James

Also I'm not sure if you've seen this but there is a community sourced list regarding Plex and what type of hardware can easily transcode what.

Here is a general wiki: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS

Here is the detailed list of what type of hardware is easily compatible with Plex transcoding: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhqU12yGv_OxdC1VYjYtMmRiSlVReVZhNVBLZ0JxSmc#gid=0

They are not hiding that fact that the current Synology Nas' can't really transcode 720p material let alone 1080p

The only real Synology units that can do it currently are expensive rack model units.

(I am not talking about the DTS issue directly because I don't have any first hand knowledge of it)
post #556 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I'm aware of this, thanks. And I certainly have not accused them of hiding anything- but rather, simply expressed disappointment for the discontinuing of an oft-used feature, unannounced.

As I have said, I never purchased the unit for or expected it to transcode 1080 files, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was indeed doing so with the half dozen or so files I tried out...at least with DS Video. Perhaps they (Synology) have a bit more knowledge of their machine to get the process a bit more efficient over PLEX, I really don't know.

James

post #557 of 581 Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Yes, I'm aware of this, thanks. And I certainly have not accused them of hiding anything- but rather, simply expressed disappointment for the discontinuing of an oft-used feature, unannounced.

As I have said, I never purchased the unit for or expected it to transcode 1080 files, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was indeed doing so with the half dozen or so files I tried out...at least with DS Video. Perhaps they (Synology) have a bit more knowledge of their machine to get the process a bit more efficient over PLEX, I really don't know.

James

ok just wanted to give you a heads up. good luck on getting it to work more efficiently for you!

Also from a post on the Synology forums it appears DTS audio has been removed because of a patent claim against them. They didn't remove this ability for no reason.

Might take some time for them to resolve it.
post #558 of 581 Old 10-04-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, one of their forum moderators has repeated over and over again that it's a "licensing issue". Whatever the case, I expect it to be sorted, eventually. With 90+% of issued blu rays containing DTS they simply cannot forgo it at this price point.

We'll see what happens with these new units...

James

post #559 of 581 Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah, one of their forum moderators has repeated over and over again that it's a "licensing issue". Whatever the case, I expect it to be sorted, eventually. With 90+% of issued blu rays containing DTS they simply cannot forgo it at this price point.

We'll see what happens with these new units...

James

Another roadblock. It appears the Plex developers aren't in a hurry to support the Intel CPU in the next generation Synology devices (it includes a new transcoding engine on the CPU but it's not easy to incorporate it into Plex...so they say):

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/80990-does-plex-support-hw-acceleration-for-transconding/

I love Plex but it appears one would have to adopt the first Media Server which incorporates the new technology into their software first.
post #560 of 581 Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am in the process of setting 1812+. I am starting with 3 hard drives and will add more in next few weeks. Since I am using all of the bays with same size 4tb Western digital Red drives, I am choosing RAID5 instead of SHR. I verified with support person that I can go from RAID 5 to RAID 6 but not from SHR to SHR 2 or RAID6.

I don't have plan to go for RAID 6 yet since I don't want to waste one bay for more redundancy. However, when I add expansion unit, i definitely will go for RAID 6.

I read that during installation it will create one volume and I plan to create shared folders for movies, music , personal files in a single volume. I am not sure if it is recommended to create multiple volumes. There are disk groups, I dont' understand. Appreciate if I am right in what I stated here and any tips on installation and creation of folders etc.
post #561 of 581 Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 AM

I'm using only one volume, as I'm the only person using the NAS. And otherwise you still can create different groups for different users.

With more disks, I really would recommend having Raid6.

If you enable the mediastation, it will automatically create you 3 shared folders, photo, music and video, so there's no need of setting them up manually. You will need to enable media station anyway if you plan on streaming media f.ex., thus using DLNA.
post #562 of 581 Old 10-05-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using only one volume, as I'm the only person using the NAS. And otherwise you still can create different groups for different users.

With more disks, I really would recommend having Raid6.

If you enable the mediastation, it will automatically create you 3 shared folders, photo, music and video, so there's no need of setting them up manually. You will need to enable media station anyway if you plan on streaming media f.ex., thus using DLNA.
Thanks for the reply. I also plan to use single volume. I have all my videos either blu-ray or dvd in the iso format. Songs are in flac or mp3. Do you still recommend to use media station over DLNA?

How do you enable media station create audio,video, photos folder automatically?

Out of 8 bays, I want to use as much as possible to my media and that is why I want to go for RAID 5. I wish Synology to support RAID 6 with one more drive externally. Loosing 2 drives from bays only give 6 drive space. When I add dx513, I will go for raid 6.
Does running SMART test from time to time helps to identify any hard disk failures?
post #563 of 581 Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 PM

If you stream your media files (movies, music, videos) to a media player, DLNA needs to be enabled. Here's a nice tutorial: http://www.synology.com/support/tutorials_show.php?q_id=452

You have to install the media server from the package center first, then it will automatically be enabled.

I never run SMART test, takes quite long and stresses the disks even more. I just keep an eye on the health bar and status from time to time.
post #564 of 581 Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:

I never run SMART test, takes quite long and stresses the disks even more. I just keep an eye on the health bar and status from time to time.
I have an older Synology box, but I have found that the "quick" SMART test is the only reliable way to pinpoint a bad drive.

I have had drives fail in my NAS 4 times. Each time, the symptom would be that video streaming would lock-up. The DSM would not report anything wrong, but the quick SMART test (two minutes maximum, each drive) indicated the bad drive three out of the four times. The fourth time, the SMART test passed, but I determined the bad drive by looking at the SMART info ("Reported_Uncorrect" was in the six digits, but should have been zero). I have never run the "full" SMART test, as it would take too long.

Again, my box is old, so the DSM firmware may be a lot better now.
post #565 of 581 Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Does it help to have link aggreation for media? At most we access from two TVs at the same time. Does Asus ac/n 66 router supports link aggregation? I have Netgear switch 108. I am planning to replace my belkin router with any new router. Appreciate to share good router for link aggregation.

Could you please share any UPS for 1812+.
post #566 of 581 Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM

I use the APC Back-UPS Pro 550, very good one, 330W.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR550GI

Link aggregation is not necessary for media.
post #567 of 581 Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use the APC Back-UPS Pro 550, very good one, 330W.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR550GI

Link aggregation is not necessary for media.

Thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on this UPS. It is not listed on Synology compability though. I don't understand why these devices have to be compatible. Is usb from this UPS connected to synology usb 2 port and Synlogy communites with it. Not sure what it exactly does.
post #568 of 581 Old 10-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I don't understand why these devices have to be compatible. Is usb from this UPS connected to synology usb 2 port and Synlogy communites with it. Not sure what it exactly does.
That's what it is, and the Synology recognizes it perfectly. Just like the Qnap did, they recognize the UPS straight away.
post #569 of 581 Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm quickly losing faith and running out of options so I'll try here...

I have the new(er) popcorn hour a-400. For whatever reason it will not stay connected to my 412+.

Example: if I leave my jukebox to visit the main menu/settings, upon attempting to return to my networked media I will get a "unable to access server" or "share no longer exists" message. Every time.

Now, "network drops" as they are called have been an ongoing issue with this device, but, in fairness, they seem to have been largely eliminated for the majority through apps,assigning static IPs, fware updates, and beleived it or not DOWN graded network switches. I have tried ALL of these...to no avail.

so then I ask: is there something obvious I'm missing here? My understanding is that the 412+ is set up by default for Samba sharing so there is little (if nothing) I should have to do in the first place. This is just driving me nuts: I can play movies back fine, all is well, and then a trip to the main menu renders the thing impotent. Just maddening for a novice like me. mad.gif

Any help would be appreciated...I'm at work right now, but my last call to Synology ended with suggestion that I plug directly into the NAS and see what I get. Sound reasonable.

James

post #570 of 581 Old 10-18-2013, 05:22 AM

Sounds more like a Popcorn issue to me. I use 2 Mede8er products, and they work fine. Does the Popcorn have a NAS option? Like on/off mode?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page