post #571 of 581 Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

I have an older Synology box, but I have found that the "quick" SMART test is the only reliable way to pinpoint a bad drive.

I have had drives fail in my NAS 4 times. Each time, the symptom would be that video streaming would lock-up. The DSM would not report anything wrong, but the quick SMART test (two minutes maximum, each drive) indicated the bad drive three out of the four times. The fourth time, the SMART test passed, but I determined the bad drive by looking at the SMART info ("Reported_Uncorrect" was in the six digits, but should have been zero). I have never run the "full" SMART test, as it would take too long.

Again, my box is old, so the DSM firmware may be a lot better now.

I think they've improved it. I got notifications two separate times of impending drive failure, and those drives had tons of read/write errors. Everything continued fine while I replaced the disks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 581 Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have volume created with three disks. There is no data now. Today, i added 4th disk and run storage manager->manage. Then expand volume is selected.

It is taking long time. For 2 hours it is 7.75%. Is it possible to recreate volume quickly? The remove volume is disabled now. Not sure how I can do that.

I am also not sure if it is good idea to remove volume or expand disk even for volume without data. When I created volume with 3 disks it did data scrubbing. I don't know expanding disk automatically does data scrubbing.

Appreciate input.
post #573 of 581 Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The length of time sounds pretty normal to me and reflects what I have experienced with my ds1511+.

X
post #574 of 581 Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I have volume created with three disks. There is no data now. Today, i added 4th disk and run storage manager->manage. Then expand volume is selected.

It is taking long time. For 2 hours it is 7.75%. Is it possible to recreate volume quickly? The remove volume is disabled now. Not sure how I can do that.

I am also not sure if it is good idea to remove volume or expand disk even for volume without data. When I created volume with 3 disks it did data scrubbing. I don't know expanding disk automatically does data scrubbing.

Appreciate input.

It will take around 12-24 hours to expand the volume with a new disk. That's normal and the operation of the system is normal while that is happening you just can't manipulate the volume in other ways.

If you have no data on the volume you can destroy the volume and re-create it with all disks and it will create the volume more quickly but it will still run a parity check that will take up to 24 hours to complete.
post #575 of 581 Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

It will take around 12-24 hours to expand the volume with a new disk. That's normal and the operation of the system is normal while that is happening you just can't manipulate the volume in other ways.

If you have no data on the volume you can destroy the volume and re-create it with all disks and it will create the volume more quickly but it will still run a parity check that will take up to 24 hours to complete.

Thanks. In the middle of expanding volume, I lost the power. Need to check what happend. I connected apc backup. However, when I checked it was off don't know if crashed or it shutdown gracefully. I plan to buy cyberpower cst1300al from the costco store today.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11750788&whse=BD_563&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BD_563|11157|91771&N=4049125%204294891503&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_563&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=national

How do I destroy volume and recreate it? Since remove is disabled, don't know how to destroy. I am also curious why it is taking so much time to expand disk when there is no data.
post #576 of 581 Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. In the middle of expanding volume, I lost the power. Need to check what happend. I connected apc backup. However, when I checked it was off don't know if crashed or it shutdown gracefully. I plan to buy cyberpower cst1300al from the costco store today.

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11750788&whse=BD_563&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BD_563|11157|91771&N=4049125%204294891503&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_563&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=national

How do I destroy volume and recreate it? Since remove is disabled, don't know how to destroy. I am also curious why it is taking so much time to expand disk when there is no data.

Click on storage manager, go to the volume tab (if not already there), select the volume and then select "remove".

Pretty easy stuff and pretty intuitive.
post #577 of 581 Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Click on storage manager, go to the volume tab (if not already there), select the volume and then select "remove".

Pretty easy stuff and pretty intuitive.

Thanks for the reply. Some how the "REMOVE" button was disabled. I thought it was disabled for reason that it is expanding disk. After logout and login and I found it is enabled. Anyway, I waited for few more hours and it completed parity checking successfully.

Now everything is fine. I am starting to copy audio and video files today. Again thanks for your help.
post #578 of 581 Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Some how the "REMOVE" button was disabled. I thought it was disabled for reason that it is expanding disk. After logout and login and I found it is enabled. Anyway, I waited for few more hours and it completed parity checking successfully.

Now everything is fine. I am starting to copy audio and video files today. Again thanks for your help.

No worries, happy to help, I hadn't seen your post until quite a while after you mentioned that you did not know how to remove it.

I'm looking forward to what Synology might be able to do with the 2014 models, perhaps give me an excuse to upgrade my awesome DS1511+ to something that can actually do a halfway decent job of running Plex.
post #579 of 581 Old 10-22-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I installed media server. I think it created following shared folders.
photo, video, music

DSM shows these as default system folders. Is it ok to put ISO blu-ray/DVD videos in these directories? I am not using any DLNA.. Trying to make sure the files in these directories won't be deleted for any reason like removing media server package etc in the future.

I am able to access the files from Dune using NFS successfully.
post #580 of 581 Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I installed media server. I think it created following shared folders.
photo, video, music

DSM shows these as default system folders. Is it ok to put ISO blu-ray/DVD videos in these directories? I am not using any DLNA.. Trying to make sure the files in these directories won't be deleted for any reason like removing media server package etc in the future.

I am able to access the files from Dune using NFS successfully.

Why did you turn the media server on if you are using a Dune? Media server is so that you can send files via DLNA.

I have no idea if removing the Media Server package will remove those shares, but I doubt it.
post #581 of 581 Old 10-23-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why did you turn the media server on if you are using a Dune? Media server is so that you can send files via DLNA.

I have no idea if removing the Media Server package will remove those shares, but I doubt it.

Yeah. Probably, I may not need it. I have 2 Dune players and viewsonic player. I was just playing around and enabled media server. I will move files and remove the pacakge
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming