post #181 of 581 Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post

Its great to see so many people buying into the DS1511+.

Anyone tried to expand the DS array with a third party port-multiplier enclosure?

At almost $500 the DX510 is way overpriced for what it is.

The DX510 is expensive, but it probably has a better quality power supply than the budget enclosures that are out there. The DS1511+ might also be able to monitor things such as the psu and fans of the DX510 and not do that with a 3rd party enclosure, but I'm not sure of that.

I paid about $450 for my DX510 shipped. A 5 bay budget enclosure probably would have been about $175 but I was not sure if it would work and I would rather pay extra to have the peace of mind if I ever span a RAID-5 volume between enclosures that everything would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 581 Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just another little note about the Synology that might interest Mac users.

I had been nervous about setting up Time Machine on the Synology. Reason being was that with my HP EX495 (which I have been using to run Time Machine), if my gigabit wired iMac did a TM backup of a large file it could actually cause playback performance problems for files from the same server being streamed to my media players.

After a weekend of fun in which I discovered that the HP TM recovery process is seriously flawed (my wife's MBP hard disk took a dump and I had to recover everything) I decided to set up TM on the Synology.

This thing is a tank. Not only was I able to create special TM user accounts for both of my Macs that control the size of the TM backup, but with the Synology solution there is not a single large file created initially that equals the backup size. If you specify 250GB for a TM user, but they only initially have 50GB of data to backup, then the initial sparsebundle size on the Syno box will only be 50GB.

Now, on to the media player relevant part;

With TM backups running from both boxes, I was still able to stream a perfect high bitrate BD MKV file to my Boxee Box in my main viewing area with no hiccups, dropouts or even a hint of a problem.

Synology seriously rocks! .... and I get to scratch another thing off of my list of things that I still use the HP for (now it's down to IP camera surveillance and DC++).
post #183 of 581 Old 04-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ordered mine today. Should be in on Thursday. Can't wait.

Thanks for this thread, it has been an interesting read, and one I'm sure I'll come back to often.

I will be using this to backup my wife's MacBook Pro, my laptop and desktop machines, and storage for about 3T of data that I currently have. I will also be streaming a mixed bag of MKV, BD-ISO, and other HD files to my PCH C200.

I decided to go this route since MS dropped DE and my v1 box was at capacity. I am sure many of you are at the same point here. Anyway, will update again when I get started!
post #184 of 581 Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrip View Post
Ordered mine today. Should be in on Thursday. Can't wait.

Thanks for this thread, it has been an interesting read, and one I'm sure I'll come back to often.

I will be using this to backup my wife's MacBook Pro, my laptop and desktop machines, and storage for about 3T of data that I currently have. I will also be streaming a mixed bag of MKV, BD-ISO, and other HD files to my PCH C200.

I decided to go this route since MS dropped DE and my v1 box was at capacity. I am sure many of you are at the same point here. Anyway, will update again when I get started!
For Time Machine with the Macs, make sure that you create user accounts specifically for Time Machine and set a user quota for that user. Otherwise Time Machine could eventually use all of the disk space on the volume.

When you browse the Time Machine disk from the Mac, just log in with that special user account with the quota, and Synology will take care of the rest.
post #185 of 581 Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM

It showed up yesterday, and I installed 4 disks in SHR. Worked fine. TOday, after transferring my remaining data to the new volume, I added that 2TB disk and let it start expanding. I know this takes eons...from what I have read.

What's not clear is if I should be able to still access other file shares. (I can't).

I can see them, and go through a few subfolders, but any time I hit a directory that actually contains files, the window freezes. Same thing with my Popcorn hour C200.

Is this "normal"?

FYI I am sing SMB only for now. 1 user account setup that is a member of both the admin and user groups.
post #186 of 581 Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrip View Post

It showed up yesterday, and I installed 4 disks in SHR. Worked fine. TOday, after transferring my remaining data to the new volume, I added that 2TB disk and let it start expanding. I know this takes eons...from what I have read.

What's not clear is if I should be able to still access other file shares. (I can't).

I can see them, and go through a few subfolders, but any time I hit a directory that actually contains files, the window freezes. Same thing with my Popcorn hour C200.

Is this "normal"?

FYI I am sing SMB only for now. 1 user account setup that is a member of both the admin and user groups.

Now I'm just speaking out of experience here but I did this procedure at least 2 times. The first time I did it (added a disk), I proceeded to use the NAS as normal (read/writes) and it took almost 2 days to complete the drive addition. The 2nd time I did it (and it had a hell of alot more data), it took about 10-12 hours but I left it alone and did nothing else until it was done.

Now I'm all about experimenting but not at the expense of time. I will soon be adding another drive and I WILL NOT do anything until the RAID is completely done. Maybe someone may want to experiment between both scenarios. I'm done. Although 10-12 hrs is a long time, I can do it at night and know it will be done the next time I use it the next day.
post #187 of 581 Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Not 5 mins after I posted this I got an email from the NAS which read:

"Dear user,

DiskStation has finished checking the consistency on System Volume (Swap). The system is now ready for use.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation"

When I checked again, I could see the files this time. The time where I had issues was apparently during the consistency check.

It makes sense that heavy use during the expansion could cause delays. I am about to head out for the weekend, so it should have some time to settle down.
post #188 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just another update on the Synology experience.

I received an alert today that one of my drives in the 1511+ had crashed. The alert feature was pretty good as I got the alert less than 30 seconds via my cell phone and received several alerts, the first one indicated that the volume was degraded and subsequent messages indicated that disk 1 was the culprit. I went down into the basement and the 1511+ was beeping at me and had an amber light on the front to indicate a disk had gone down.

I replaced the drive but grew impatient with the 1511 picking it up, so I rebooted and the new disk was there. I chose the repair option for the volume specifying to use disk 1 for the repair and it passed the parity check and after a few hours is about 40% through parity rebuild.

One nice feature would be to have the Synology automatically start the rebuild if a new disk is inserted in the same location as a drive that has been marked as a failed drive.

I am running tools on the 2TB Seagate drive that was marked as bad, I believe it was one from my WHS so perhaps 12-18 month old unit and probably still under warranty.

It will be interesting if SeaTools says the disk is good but Synology thought it was dead.
post #189 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Just another update on the Synology experience.

I received an alert today that one of my drives in the 1511+ had crashed. The alert feature was pretty good as I got the alert less than 30 seconds via my cell phone and received several alerts, the first one indicated that the volume was degraded and subsequent messages indicated that disk 1 was the culprit. I went down into the basement and the 1511+ was beeping at me and had an amber light on the front to indicate a disk had gone down.

I replaced the drive but grew impatient with the 1511 picking it up, so I rebooted and the new disk was there. I chose the repair option for the volume specifying to use disk 1 for the repair and it passed the parity check and after a few hours is about 40% through parity rebuild.

One nice feature would be to have the Synology automatically start the rebuild if a new disk is inserted in the same location as a drive that has been marked as a failed drive.

I am running tools on the 2TB Seagate drive that was marked as bad, I believe it was one from my WHS so perhaps 12-18 month old unit and probably still under warranty.

It will be interesting if SeaTools says the disk is good but Synology thought it was dead.

I'm certainly curious to hear the results of the testing. I have a question for you - I want to setup notification for myself but haven't been able to make sense out of the settings. What does one use for the "SMTP server" and "SMTP port" settings (the latter is already at 25)?. Should "secure connection" and "authentication" be checked (and if so, what username and password am I entering)?

The documentation didn't have anything on this (Syno's manuals sometimes leave a lot to the imagination... ), but I definitely want to set this up. I assume it's a simple fix. I'm reasonably tech saavy too... I guess just not enough in this case!

Thanks - Jon
post #190 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post

I'm certainly curious to hear the results of the testing. I have a question for you - I want to setup notification for myself but haven't been able to make sense out of the settings. What does one use for the "SMTP server" and "SMTP port" settings (the latter is already at 25)?. Should "secure connection" and "authentication" be checked (and if so, what username and password am I entering)?

The documentation didn't have anything on this (Syno's manuals sometimes leave a lot to the imagination... ), but I definitely want to set this up. I assume it's a simple fix. I'm reasonably tech saavy too... I guess just not enough in this case!

Thanks - Jon

Hi Jon.

The SMTP stuff refers to how your settings need to be in order to send email. For example, my internet provider is comcast, and they require SMTP authentication in order to send mail to their SMTP server (mail.comcast.net) so I have to set it up accordingly.

The easiest way to figure out the settings is to check how they are programmed on a computer or smartphone that you have working with sending email.

I set up my 1st alert email address to be the same account that was sending the messages (you can send email to yourself, it's true! ) and I set the 2nd one up to email the email account that is associated with the SMS messages on my cell phone... the messages show up as SMS which means I get a tone, message alert, etc, when they arrive.

I hope this helps.
post #191 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Hi Jon.

The SMTP stuff refers to how your settings need to be in order to send email. For example, my internet provider is comcast, and they require SMTP authentication in order to send mail to their SMTP server (mail.comcast.net) so I have to set it up accordingly.

The easiest way to figure out the settings is to check how they are programmed on a computer or smartphone that you have working with sending email.

I set up my 1st alert email address to be the same account that was sending the messages (you can send email to yourself, it's true! ) and I set the 2nd one up to email the email account that is associated with the SMS messages on my cell phone... the messages show up as SMS which means I get a tone, message alert, etc, when they arrive.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, it helped and I got it running (with a little help from Google for my Road Runner SMTP server...)

I assume you're using Seagate drives? I've got about 10 of the ST32000542AS spread between my 2 NASes, and a couple other random Seagates as well. That and a few Hitachis. I like the Seagates, however, as they're cheap and cool (temp.).
post #192 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, the failed drive is an ST3200. It is still running diagnostics, which normally would not take this long (normally a long test of a 2TB drive might take 4-5 hours, this one has been going for almost six and is only about 50% done).
post #193 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, the failed drive is an ST3200. It is still running diagnostics, which normally would not take this long (normally a long test of a 2TB drive might take 4-5 hours, this one has been going for almost six and is only about 50% done).

No SMART errors or anything? You keep your Synology unit relatively cool, as well, I assume?
post #194 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No SMART errors or anything? You keep your Synology unit relatively cool, as well, I assume?

SMART is a terrible predictor of drive failure, at least according to the huge study that Google did a few years ago.

The system is on a dedicated UPS and is in a cool basement that is normally about 60-65F.
post #195 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:

A nice feature in theory, but a nightmare to implement.

The theory falls apart when the drive is intermittent. If a failed drive comes back to life, it may be indistinguishable from a replacement drive. Then a false rebuild can occur. At least back in the SCSI days, that was the reason to leave a human, or some other form of IT guy, in the loop.

What is needed is some form of failsafe serial-number mechanism.
post #196 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM

You may be aware, but SpinRite is a great tool for disk analysis. It's brought back drives for me that other tools couldn't. Not free, but worth a look.
post #197 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks I might take a look at it. I had a spare disk so getting data off the disk is not my concern.

My concern at the moment is that the DS1511+ failed the disk, but SeaTools did a full test and says the disk is "good" which means that Seagate will not issue an RMA.
post #198 of 581 Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks I might take a look at it. I had a spare disk so getting data off the disk is not my concern.

My concern at the moment is that the DS1511+ failed the disk, but SeaTools did a full test and says the disk is "good" which means that Seagate will not issue an RMA.
Fortunately there are easy ways around that... I have RMA'd now 14 POS Seagate 1.5 TB drives that have failed across my servers without ever using Seatools... you can click on a link during the RMA process and it will give you all sorts of codes you can enter for scenarios like "I have a mac" or "Seatools won't recognize the disk".....

Sean
post #199 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM

Did you ever get an iSCSI response? I'm just making my way through the forum, so I'll respond and you can ignore me otherwise . The iSCSI target was a breeze to set up (especially coming from me who has never set one up before). It was slower (connection speed) than just a share with a mapped network drive.. But the main reason why I set it up was so that I could use the NAS with my Win7 Media Center for recorded TV (SSD on my Win7 machine isn't big enough). The nice thing about it was automatic expandability.
post #200 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Fortunately there are easy ways around that... I have RMA'd now 14 POS Seagate 1.5 TB drives that have failed across my servers without ever using Seatools... you can click on a link during the RMA process and it will give you all sorts of codes you can enter for scenarios like "I have a mac" or "Seatools won't recognize the disk".....

Sean

Okay, that's good to know. I am still puzzled at how SeaTools is passing the disk when the log on the Synology definitely indicates that the disk was thrashing. There were hundreds of read and write errors to that drive right before the disk was marked bad. I suppose it is possible that the slot has an intermittent issue but so far the new disc is working fine and the previous one got 4 months of service before the issue happened.
post #201 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 07:47 AM

I don't how the detection works. But Synology only marked one of the disks as faulty when in fact two were bad when scanned with Samsung's program.
I sent Synology the debuglog but they could not find anything wrong with the DS-hardware. This is the answer they sent me:

Quote:

From the log, there were no errors from the system itself. The DS1010+ system will read the SMART info from the disks, it will only report errors when the SMART info on the disks shows abnormal attributes(this is determined by the hard drive's firmware). It will be more accurate run the disk scan using the original manufacturer's diagnostic tool to check for the disk's health status.

post #202 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In my case the SMART was not considered "tripped". Synology was simply taking a pile of read and write errors on that drive and finally decided it was bad.
post #203 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:

In my case the SMART was not considered "tripped". Synology was simply taking a pile of read and write errors on that drive and finally decided it was bad.

I got bad sector I/0-error aswell and SMART status was normal. So I don't know what they mean. Strange that you have no problems when you do a deep scan with Seatools.
post #204 of 581 Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozzeta View Post

I got bad sector I/0-error aswell and SMART status was normal. So I don't know what they mean. Strange that you have no problems when you do a deep scan with Seatools.

It is strange for sure. In any event, I will try to get an RMA for the drive, it is possible that the drive has some strange problem that is intermittent.
post #205 of 581 Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Speaking of power, I put my kill-o-watt meter on the DS1511+ and with four drives going full bore it was using about 45 watts. I believe my EX495 was using about 65 watts when idling or doing file copies with the same number of drives installed.

I was able to connect my Boxee Box to the DS1511+ pretty easily. I just changed the default SMB client account on the Boxee to "guest". It picked up the name of the Diskstation and I was able to drill into my movies share, add it to the sources and start playing movies back.

No hiccups, pauses, buffering or other problems during a two hour high bitrate MKV file being streamed off of the Synology.

For fun, I then added my fifth Seagate 2TB drive, while all of this stuff was being done to test the box. I wanted to know if adding a drive would cause my movie to stall, etc. I am happy to report that everything continued to work fine, even when I went in and added the drive to the existing storage pool... as a matter of fact, while I am typing this, the box is building out that fifth drive, while still doing file copies AND streaming an MKV to a Boxee Box (power consumption during all of this with five drives now installed is a comfortable 52 watts).

Amongst all the information in the mini review I found the power consumption information to be of interest too. I am currently considering buying a ds1511+ - baring in mind that for now it will be a vast overkill compared to my current needs. All speaks for buying a 2 bay NAS and install it with some 2TB drives, but I kind of fell in "love" with the ds1511+ the very first time I saw it and choosing it now will leave me with the option to easily expand my storage capacity later if it turns out to be necessary.

To justify choosing the ds1511+ (to my concience) I would be interested in knowing even more regarding power consumption from this "wonderbox" like when powered off / in WOL / in hibernation / in idle / in full load. From the measurements done in the mini review it seems possible to more or less just to subtract the extra drives which could be installed (I would probably just start out with two 2TB disks).

When reading the information from Synology webpage they seem to be quite conservative with their power statements. In all reviews I have found for their products they seem to be tested consuming less power than stated by Sonology.

Could anyone by chance do me the favor and provide such a measurement - then I would be very grateful.
post #206 of 581 Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Boy View Post

Amongst all the information in the mini review I found the power consumption information to be of interest too. I am currently considering buying a ds1511+ - baring in mind that for now it will be a vast overkill compared to my current needs. All speaks for buying a 2 bay NAS and install it with some 2TB drives, but I kind of fell in "love" with the ds1511+ the very first time I saw it and choosing it now will leave me with the option to easily expand my storage capacity later if it turns out to be necessary.

To justify choosing the ds1511+ (to my concience) I would be interested in knowing even more regarding power consumption from this "wonderbox" like when powered off / in WOL / in hibernation / in idle / in full load. From the measurements done in the mini review it seems possible to more or less just to subtract the extra drives which could be installed (I would probably just start out with two 2TB disks).

When reading the information from Synology webpage they seem to be quite conservative with their power statements. In all reviews I have found for their products they seem to be tested consuming less power than stated by Sonology.

Could anyone by chance do me the favor and provide such a measurement - then I would be very grateful.

power usage is definitely related to number of drives, and whether the drives are green or not.

I'm not going to take my DS1511+ down completely in order to put my meter between it and the outlet again, so I can't perform this test you are after unfortunately.

I will tell you that if there is no data access on the volume for a period of about 20 minutes (by default) then the Synology will attempt to manage power consumption by spinning down the drives. Some green drives already do this via their own firmware.

If the device is programmed to shut off and on at specific times of day then the power when "off" should be negligible, as in < 1 watt.
post #207 of 581 Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:

It is strange for sure. In any event, I will try to get an RMA for the drive, it is possible that the drive has some strange problem that is intermittent.

Well, I just had the same experience. Seagate ST32000 2TB, running maybe for 3 or 4 months, and I got the "disk crashed" notice. I pulled the drive, and now I'm running Seatools (running the long generic scan, the short showed a "pass"). I find it hard to believe that a 4 month old drive that has been not heavily used at all failed, but we'll see what the long test results provide. I believe the long generic can repair sector errors, so I'm hoping that will make the drive happy. I'm wondering if I should just RMA the thing? I hate to have to wrap it up and send it back, wait for a replacement, etc., but maybe I'd be better served in the long run getting rid of it regardless of what Seatools says? Opinions?
post #208 of 581 Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, I just had the same experience. Seagate ST32000 2TB, running maybe for 3 or 4 months, and I got the "disk crashed" notice. I pulled the drive, and now I'm running Seatools (running the long generic scan, the short showed a "pass"). I find it hard to believe that a 4 month old drive that has been not heavily used at all failed, but we'll see what the long test results provide. I believe the long generic can repair sector errors, so I'm hoping that will make the drive happy. I'm wondering if I should just RMA the thing? I hate to have to wrap it up and send it back, wait for a replacement, etc., but maybe I'd be better served in the long run getting rid of it regardless of what Seatools says? Opinions?

I'm glad you brought this up. I talked to a friend who is a storage engineer and he was adamant that if SeaTools passed the disk, it is highly unlikely that there is anything actually wrong with it.

His suspicion is that when I updated the FW on all of my ST3200 drives a month or so ago that one of them was not completely seated and it simply vibrated out a bit and resulted in all the read/write errors.

He said that the best thing I could have done, rather than replacing the drive, was simply to re-insert it after the scan passed and then re-build right back onto the top of it, which would have probably succeeded and proven there was nothing wrong with it.

I have just hung onto the drive for now and will eventually add it to the array as a new disk when I run out of capacity and go to my DX510 for more space with more drives. Then I will know if there's anything really wrong with it or not.
post #209 of 581 Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I'm glad you brought this up. I talked to a friend who is a storage engineer and he was adamant that if SeaTools passed the disk, it is highly unlikely that there is anything actually wrong with it.

His suspicion is that when I updated the FW on all of my ST3200 drives a month or so ago that one of them was not completely seated and it simply vibrated out a bit and resulted in all the read/write errors.

He said that the best thing I could have done, rather than replacing the drive, was simply to re-insert it after the scan passed and then re-build right back onto the top of it, which would have probably succeeded and proven there was nothing wrong with it.

I have just hung onto the drive for now and will eventually add it to the array as a new disk when I run out of capacity and go to my DX510 for more space with more drives. Then I will know if there's anything really wrong with it or not.

I assumed you upgraded from the CC34 to the CC35? I didn't upgrade. I'm pretty sure all of my ST32000's are running the older firmware. I just didn't see a reason to do so, and figured it might hurt in the long run. So FW upgrade couldn't have caused this debacle on my end.

I'll see what the scan results report. I'm really suspicious that a drive this young could be bad. I may see if there is any way that I can re-integrate it; if I have to rebuild the volume, that's fine, or whatever. But if Seatools tells me it's garbage I guess that won't be an option.
post #210 of 581 Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Definitely interested in what you find out.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page