Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

atvflash is out in beta. You can buy it for $20. I have it but used ssh to install Plex. In a way it's nice to know what the process is.

Philip

Correct - I should have been more specific. Waiting for aTV flash to support NAS. That's my main usage scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

dvwtwo,
The way the ATV2 operates from Apple is it never shuts down. It simply goes to sleep. It uses little electricity. And almost nothing when asleep.

So because you never coldboot...you never have to tether to the computer unless you purposely pulled the power cable out from the back, suffer a power outage or a hard crash that takes the whole system down. Most crashes are soft crashes where the GUI restarts, but not the entire system. So you wouldn't have to reboot in that instance either.

At least that's been my experience since 4.1 and the tethered jailbreak rolled out months ago.
post #63 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Perhaps because I've only dabbled with XMBC I find it confusing (this applies to the ATV-1 instance too).

I can live with the pain of recovering from a system restore but I want to use Remote.app interact with my ATV.

Remote app will still work fine. your not removing apples software just adding another menu item that runs XBMC as a n app. There is an equivalent (actually better app) for XBMC on iphone, etc.

Sean
post #64 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Liked: 15
Is aTV Flash necessary for XBMC to connect to SMB shares and if not whats the point of aTV Flash?
post #65 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

Is aTV Flash necessary for XBMC to connect to SMB shares and if not whats the point of aTV Flash?

aTV Flash isn't needed. XBMC has the ability to connect to SMB shares built in.

aTV Flash is an addon to the Apple TV much like XBMC is an addon. aTV Flash addes a browser, LastFM, RSS reader and Weather. If you have aTV Flash installed, I believe you can install XBMC simply via it's "manage" interface instead of having to SSH into type terminal commands.
post #66 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Remote app will still work fine.

But not in XBMC.
Quote:

There is an equivalent (actually better app) for XBMC on iphone, etc.

Superiority of design is a matter of taste. Since the web server isn't working the remote doesn't work. At least that's my assumption.
post #67 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But not in XBMC.
Superiority of design is a matter of taste. Since the web server isn't working the remote doesn't work. At least that's my assumption.

its a matter of taste but I still bet you'd like it better.
For music they are very similar but for movies you not only get cover art but additional metadata. its the small enhancements over the base UI of apples remote app that make it stand out IMO. Its not a huge difference but a slightly more refined one.

no web server equals no remote.

Sean
post #68 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you are looking for a micro USB cable, the Kindle comes with one.
post #69 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:

They said the ATV2 version would be released shortly after. The tethered jailbreak is not that difficult and you can go forever without rebooting the ATV2.

Philip

i don't mind doing the tethered jailbreak, its just that I have a new ATV2 with 4.2.1 and don't have access to a MAC.
post #70 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon View Post

dvwtwo,
The way the ATV2 operates from Apple is it never shuts down. It simply goes to sleep. It uses little electricity. And almost nothing when asleep.

So because you never coldboot...you never have to tether to the computer unless you purposely pulled the power cable out from the back, suffer a power outage or a hard crash that takes the whole system down. Most crashes are soft crashes where the GUI restarts, but not the entire system. So you wouldn't have to reboot in that instance either.

At least that's been my experience since 4.1 and the tethered jailbreak rolled out months ago.

Pretty interesting. I'd heard that it was quite the little power-sipper, but I'm so accustomed to shutting electronics off (including computers) when not in use that it would never have occurred to me to just leave it running - or simply put it to sleep - were it not for the jailbreaking angle. All this is fodder for the main aTV owners' thread, of course, or a power-conservation forum. Anyway, it's been most helpful. Thanks again!
post #71 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Phillip, Sean asked you a question in post #26 that I was interested in also.

Thanks

If you use atvflash to install xbmc, plex there is a setting to block updates. I am not sure why it is there as the ATV will ask you if you want to update. I guess it's a pestering thing.

philip
post #72 of 422 Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirish11 View Post

I got all the way through the installation process and after I completed a successful tethered boot, disconnected the USB (as instructed) and hooked up the HDMI.

It was at that point that a graphic showed up on the TV instructing me to connect to iTunes. That was it. After a few mins, it went away and nothing happened.

Any thoughts folks?

Did you use seasonpass? You might want to try pwnage tool. I found it far easier than seasonpass. In an attempt to make it as simple as possible they have made it fragile. You can still install atvflash after any jailbreak. Anyway, have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWKr7Ww_c0

The process for getting it into DFU mode may not work if you have the power plugged in. I kept it off and plugged it in after it entered DFU mode. My last experiment was to leave the power off completely when booting ( but connected via usb). It's actually very simple. Just seems hard the first couple of times. I never was able to use seasonpass successfully.
post #73 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you use seasonpass? You might want to try pwnage tool. I found it far easier than seasonpass. In an attempt to make it as simple as possible they have made it fragile. You can still install atvflash after any jailbreak. Anyway, have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWKr7Ww_c0

The process for getting it into DFU mode may not work if you have the power plugged in. I kept it off and plugged it in after it entered DFU mode. My last experiment was to leave the power off completely when booting ( but connected via usb). It's actually very simple. Just seems hard the first couple of times. I never was able to use seasonpass successfully.
Thanks for the video link.... saw you were having some issues with the actual app install yesterday from XBMC.org any luck getting that resolved. seems like the fixed a few issues with a library dependency and something with the repository but no idea if that was your problem or not.

Sean
post #74 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the video link.... saw you were having some issues with the actual app install yesterday from XBMC.org any luck getting that resolved. seems like the fixed a few issues with a library dependency and something with the repository but no idea if that was your problem or not.

Sean

Yes, I did manage to get it installed as well as Plex. The repository was the problem. I was curious about atvflash so I redid everything and also installed things that way. Pretty nice utility which allows you to avoid the ssh and apt-get approach. That is where I saw the setting to block updates of iOS. The actual tether boot is pretty interesting. I wish I had a MacBook as you could probably do the boot tether with only the USB cable and move the ATV2 around.

Philip
post #75 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Sorry, stupid noob question... I was reading the instructions for tethered jailbreak on Mac:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13581

And it says that it "automatically launches iTunes". Most Apple products are tied to a particular iTunes account. That account, for me, is my iMac, which is nowhere near my TV. I was going to use my MacBook Air to do the jailbreak and tethered boot, but won't it complain that this ATV isn't associated/paired to this Mac/iTunes account?

Maybe a dumb question... can I have more than one computer tied to the same iTunes account? If so, then I guess I'll do that, and I'll be fine.
post #76 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp2 View Post

Sorry, stupid noob question... I was reading the instructions for tethered jailbreak on Mac:

And it says that it "automatically launches iTunes". Most Apple products are tied to a particular iTunes account. That account, for me, is my iMac, which is nowhere near my TV. I was going to use my MacBook Air to do the jailbreak and tethered boot, but won't it complain that this ATV isn't associated/paired to this Mac/iTunes account?

Maybe a dumb question... can I have more than one computer tied to the same iTunes account? If so, then I guess I'll do that, and I'll be fine.

You can have more than one computer tied to iTunes. The point of using iTunes is that it will restore both 4.2.1 as well as any modified version of that. The tethered part has nothing to do with iTunes. What happens if you don't perform it is your ATV will hang at the Apple logo. The tethered boot copies a couple of files over to the modified 4.2.1 . Those files come from the modified restore image.

Philip
post #77 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Okay - so, do I have to associate iTunes on my jailbreaking laptop to my iTunes account in order to do the restore?

Also... when I lose power, and have to tether-boot the ATV2 again, will I lose all the XBMC library data and settings?
post #78 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay - so, do I have to associate iTunes on my jailbreaking laptop to my iTunes account in order to do the restore?

Also... when I lose power, and have to tether-boot the ATV2 again, will I lose all the XBMC library data and settings?

I don't think the iTunes account has anything to do with it. When I rebooted my ATV2 I didn't lose any settings, such as network settings, and so on. Not sure what would happen to XBMC. The ATV can go fo ages without powering down.

Philip
post #79 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At present there's no relationship between your iTunes account(s) and the restore function. iTunes does check to make sure it's a "valid" image but that's unrelated to your account.

Quote:

While I haven't tested this on the ATV application settings are preserved on the iPad so I would expect the same behavior. Those settings are stored in flash and a reboot doesn't ordinarily clear parts of the filesystem.
post #80 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

(Is it possible to fix the thread title?)

I'm sure these things wil be fixed but:
1) Starting XBMC turns off the screen saver.
2) Response to the remote is very slow.

I am pleased to be able to play mkv sources but (at least) until the remote is fixed I'll stick to iTunes and m4v. I like skip forward/back and chapter skips. Working AC3 would be nice too but I know that's a known issue.
post #81 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am pleased to be able to play mkv sources but (at least) until the remote is fixed I'll stick to iTunes and m4v. I like skip forward/back and chapter skips.

The response is very slow. Personally I just wish mkv would go away, but that doesn't seem to be happening unfortunately.

philip
post #82 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

The response is very slow. Personally I just wish mkv would go away, but that doesn't seem to be happening unfortunately.

philip

OK Philip, now I gotta ask you to explain yourself regarding your mkv comment (I am truly hoping it has nothing to do with Apple not supporting)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #83 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure these things wil be fixed but:
1) Starting XBMC turns off the screen saver.

I am pleased to be able to play mkv sources but (at least) until the remote is fixed I'll stick to iTunes and m4v. I like skip forward/back and chapter skips. Working AC3 would be nice too but I know that's a known issue.

The title can be edited but I was unaware it was broken. I'm open to suggestions...

Sean
post #84 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The title can be edited but I was unaware it was broken.

It says XMBC rather than XBMC.
post #85 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It says XMBC rather than XBMC.

Fixing Now...

thanks
Sean
post #86 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM

I must be doing something wrong. I'm using the Seas0nPass tool. Everything seems to go just fine, included the tethered boot. But when I try to ssh into the box to install XBMC, it fails:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.180 port 22: Connection refused

Can you tell, visually, that the ATV has been jailbroken successfully? Nothing looks different to me.

The Seas0nPass tool says that it found the device in DFU mode, does it's tethered boot thing, and then says it's done and I can hook up HDMI. When I do, it's just the regular ATV window. I thought it was supposed look like a fresh boot (select your language, etc).

I just realized that this web page doesn't say anything about the iTunes restore thing... did it bypass that?

I'm missing a step here somewhere.
post #87 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

OK Philip, now I gotta ask you to explain yourself regarding your mkv comment (I am truly hoping it has nothing to do with Apple not supporting)

It has nothing to do with Apple. I don't think my views on mkv have changed that much. I can appreciate the flexibility that it offers. Divx has adopted it for it's HD content. People archiving disks find it useful. The only thing I would like to see is fewer containers, codecs, etc ... so that we wouldn't need such complicated players to play back video. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on any of this and it is frustrating.

In the context of the ATV, I find mp4 more useful. Having XBMC on the ATV makes the unit more appealing to many people, but it does not help in converging to fewer containers/codecs.

Now that Google is pushing its codec it all just seems to be a mess.

It would just be nice to see some standards which benefit the consumer as opposed to what has become a tool for various companies to get an advantage over their rivals and of course for content providers to make it impossible to record anything higher than 1950 quality.

Philip
post #88 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I must be doing something wrong. I'm using the Seas0nPass tool. Everything seems to go just fine, included the tethered boot. But when I try to ssh into the box to install XBMC, it fails:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.180 port 22: Connection refused

Can you tell, visually, that the ATV has been jailbroken successfully? Nothing looks different to me.

The Seas0nPass tool says that it found the device in DFU mode, does it's tethered boot thing, and then says it's done and I can hook up HDMI. When I do, it's just the regular ATV window. I thought it was supposed look like a fresh boot (select your language, etc).

I just realized that this web page doesn't say anything about the iTunes restore thing... did it bypass that?

I'm missing a step here somewhere.

The fact that you could not ssh into the ATV means that it wasn't jail broken properly. I really think you should restore your ATV to the Apple 4.2.1 and then use the pwnagetool link I gave. It is very simple and the only tricky part is the tethered boot thing which I feel needs modification as to when you plug in the power cable.

Philip
post #89 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:

The fact that you could not ssh into the ATV means that it wasn't jail broken properly. I really think you should restore your ATV to the Apple 4.2.1 and then use the pwnagetool link I gave. It is very simple and the only tricky part is the tethered boot thing which I feel needs modification as to when you plug in the power cable.

Philip

I thought you couldn't do an untethered jailbreak. And isn't pwnagetool for unthethered?

You mention the power cable thing... I was a little unsure of that, too (using Seas0nPass). At first, I forgot and didn't plug in the power till after the tool said it was done. That definitely didn't work. Then I plugged in the power, USB and network after I clicked "boot tethered" and before I did the menu/play-pause thing to get DFU mode. That apparently didn't work either.

I don't get how/when the Seas0nPass tool uploads the new image, unless it did this VERY fast. I saw it say it was uploading something, but it happened very quickly (a second or so).

I'm going to try the tethered boot again. If I can't get that to work, I guess I'll try the other tool. There are most steps to the other tool, but it doesn't look that bad.
post #90 of 422 Old 01-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Sorry, another quick question. Is it necessary to initialize the Apple TV before jailbreaking it? That is, boot it once to select your language, enter you iTunes account info, etc? Or can you jailbreak it right out of the box?

I'm restoring my ATV now and going to try the pwnage tool, I guess.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page