Dune HD Duo vs HD Max - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering buying a Dune in the next few weeks and slowly building my way up to a networked media collection in the future. I currently have a large portion of my DVD catalog ripped to AVI so I can stream through my PS3. Now that I am starting to get a blu ray collection built I don't have anything way to stream the blu-rays to the PS3. Hence the reason I'm now looking at investing in a real media streamer.

I will eventually build a network to house the movies, but not yet. I guess I have a few questions regarding peoples opinions and/or regrets with their own players. I can't decide between the Dune HD Max and the Dune HD Duo. The point of me getting this box is to more or less take the blu-rays and DVDs that I have and put them in a central data base for easy access and cataloging. The PS3 can play blu-ray discs, so I'm having trouble convincing myself that I need to get the HD Max. Is the processor in the Max that much better that it would be a better option to play a physical disc if I so chose? Unless the picture was noticeably better I don't see what is gained by paying the extra money for a blu-ray player built in, plus I like the idea of having an additional HDD at this point before creating a network. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of information on this forum about the Duo. Is there any difference between the two besides the disc player?

I am not really up on all the disc protection systems, but I just read on here about Cinavia. I guess this is a protection built into the audio of the movie? I'm reading that it is going to affect blu-ray players, so would this affect the HD Max? The HD Duo has no blu-ray player so would it be affected by Cinavia as well? I plan on burning my blu-rays to BD Iso and the HD Duo plays the Iso files, so does that make it a "blu-ray player"?

I would just like some opinions before dumping a bunch of money to this. Right now I am leaning towards the HD Duo installing 2 internal HDD drives and when they are full getting a multi-bay external HDD enclosure. Then probably in a year or so when I get my new place set up a proper network for everything. I was going to put this in one of the big Dune threads, but there was so many separate conversations that I figured it didn't really fit there.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

It all depends on how much you want / need the integrated Bluray disc player. The PS3 is actually a pretty decent Bluray (disc, files / streaming is a different matter) player, so the picture quality difference will be minimal at best. For considerably better Bluray picture quality, you need to shell out some serious money and take high end players by various AV manufacturers into consideration.

An alternative to the Duo and Max would be buying one of the Smart series models, e.g. the Smart D1, and expanding it at will with those extension devices. You could add a Bluray drive or two additional HDD bays, whatever you prefer.

Smart D1:

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/curren...-smart-d1.html

Bluray extension:

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/curren...on-module.html

HDD extension:

http://dune-hd.com/hd_players/curren...on-module.html

They are all based on the same Sigma 8642 SoC, so video and audio quality wise, there will be no difference between the various Dune models.

Cinavia is all speculation and very little substance atm. It's still not clear if Sigma are actually going to implement Cinavia support in their SDK for the 864x chipset generation. As long as that doesn't happen, apparently Sony had contacted them years ago because of this already, no player based on this SoC will support Cinavia. It needs to be implemented by Sigma, not by the various OEMs, including Dune, themselves.

The Dunes are very mature firmware wise, so even if Cinavia was going to be implemented one day, you'd still have the choice not to upgrade your firmware and probably wouldn't even miss anything.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. If the blu-ray player is not that much better than the PS3 I will just opt for the HD models. If I eventually need a blu-ray drive I can just add the blu-ray extension later on.

I thought about piecing together a Smart system, but it seems just as much, if not more to do it that way. I might still consider it, but I think I'm likely going to go with the duo.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenUSA View Post
Thanks for the advise. If the blu-ray player is not that much better than the PS3 I will just opt for the HD models. If I eventually need a blu-ray drive I can just add the blu-ray extension later on.

I thought about piecing together a Smart system, but it seems just as much, if not more to do it that way. I might still consider it, but I think I'm likely going to go with the duo.
I think I am going to go with the duo too. I have hundreds of DVD's that I cannot wait to just put on a HD and be done with it! I also want to put all my Star Trek-Star Gate series on a HD!

Anyone know the ETA of the Duo at duneplayer.com?