Best Quality DVD rip to view via DLNA Fullscreen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to get rid of all of the physical copies of my DVDs. I want to start ripping them to my hard drive and I would like to view them via DLNA when needed. (I have a Samsung PN50C7000 TV and Samsung BD-C6800 BD player) I prefer to use DLNA because I currently have it running and I prefer to not have to purchase anything extra. My TV is wired into my network. Computer is currently on Vista.

When I play a 1.85:1 DVD directly from my DVD player, the video plays full screen. No windowboxing, no letterboxing.
When I play a 2.35:1 DVD directly from my DVD player, the video plays letterboxed (which is fine)

If I rip the dvd directly to an mkv file with MakeMKV and view it over DLNA (via Mezzmo or Samsung AllShare) the video is windowboxed.
If I rip the dvd to my hard drive with DVDFab and try viewing the a vob file via DLNA they are windowboxed as well.

Is there a recommended way to rip or encode the video files so I can view them full screen (or at least only letterboxed for a 2.35:1 video) via DLNA? It doesn't matter to me what type of video/container it is, higher quality the better and I would like to retain the 5.1 sound as well. I don't have any space requirements, so the videos do not need to be compressed.

Thoughts or recommendations on the best way to achieve this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2011, 01:25 PM

I have the following equipment - A Samsung PN 58C7000 hooked directly by HDMI to a BXPS570 Sony Blu Ray player and a Pioneer Sound System. There is a second set, a Samsung LN40C650, in my bedroom. I was under the impression that with DLNA I could stream DVD video to the tv in the bedroom. The question is how do I do it?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrustler View Post

I am looking to get rid of all of the physical copies of my DVDs.

Me too.
Quote:

If I rip the dvd to my hard drive with DVDFab and try viewing the a vob file via DLNA they are windowboxed as well.

I'm surprised this works. I just tried it with an LG BD/DVD player and it wouldn't play them at all...further research on the internet has several people saying DLNA is deliberately crippled to prevent playing .vob files.

Too bad your thread didn't continue...perhaps reviving it will?
post #4 of 12 Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post

Me too.

I'm surprised this works. I just tried it with an LG BD/DVD player and it wouldn't play them at all...further research on the internet has several people saying DLNA is deliberately crippled to prevent playing .vob files.

There is lots of discussion about DLNA in other threads that are more current so as you read around a bit you'll get quite a bit of information and have more active threads to ask questions.

DLNA is very limited in the file formats it will support and I have never been a fan of so-called DLNA servers that will transcode a given format on the fly into a DLNA friendly one. DLNA supports .mpg files and native BluRay .m2ts files, among others. I use DLNA for streaming BD.m2ts rips from my NAS and it works perfectly. I've never tried DLNA with .mpg or .vob files since I stream my DVD's as full-rip DVD.iso files and DLNA does not support .iso.

You may want to try one or both of the following:
  1. Use the free DVD Shrink on your DVD rip to extract the main title. Set the preference in shrink to not split the file into 1GB .vob files. This will give you the title as a single .vob file. Try to stream that with DLNA. If it doesn't work, change the .vob extension to .mpg and try again.
  2. Use the free DVD Shrink on your DVD rip to extract the main title. Set the preference in shrink to split the file into 1GB .vob files (normal mode). Then use the free VOB2MPG to convert the .vob files into a single .mpg. Try to stream that with DLNA. If that doesn't work, it may be that your LG player just has a crappy DLNA implementation.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 12 Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

1. Use the free DVD Shrink on your DVD rip to extract the main title. Set the preference in shrink to not split the file into 1GB .vob files. This will give you the title as a single .vob file. Try to stream that with DLNA. If it doesn't work, change the .vob extension to .mpg and try again.

+1

This works fine for me. I have a Panasonic BDT110. Most of my DVDs required no recoding. I just changed the extension name from .vob to .mpg and they play fine over DLNA.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post

Me too.

Yes, intentionally crippled from playing back with menu support.
DLNA is a sorry excuse for a streaming technology and some fools actually pay to access/license the specifications.

Run if you see a device advertising DLNA. It is not something to be proud of......
post #7 of 12 Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Use the free DVD Shrink on your DVD rip to extract the main title. Set the preference in shrink to split the file into 1GB .vob files (normal mode). Then use the free VOB2MPG to convert the .vob files into a single .mpg. Try to stream that with DLNA.

Yes, that worked, thanks. I can only play, pause, and stop the stream; fast forward, subtitles, etc don't work but at least it does play. I'll keep researching, but yeah, DLNA is lame. Best would be to have a small media PC in the home theater mix...now I see why people do that.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I rip all of my SD DVD's with Handbrake and force subtitles (m4v file), and so far everything works. However, I only rip the main movie, and I don't care about chapters.

I used Clown BD to rip my HD BD movies. I only rip the main movie, no chapter, and force subtitles, and everything seems to work so far.

I've only been streaming the SD rips via wireless to my xbox and ps3, and they play without any lag, and the picture quality is excellent. However, the sound its only played 2 ch stereo since my current set up doesn't pass through 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

I've got to wait till xmas for my A-300 and EP950, and then I'll be able to do HD sound.

I used AnyDVD HD, Handbrake and ClownBD package for all of my rips .

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Liked: 14
Instead of using dlna you could most likely use plex on your samsung device: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...ung-smart-hub/
post #10 of 12 Old 11-18-2011, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Yes, intentionally crippled from playing back with menu support.
DLNA is a sorry excuse for a streaming technology and some fools actually pay to access/license the specifications.

Run if you see a device advertising DLNA. It is not something to be proud of......

I don't get the DLNA hatred. I've been using it in various forms (TVersity and Mezzmo) for the better part of 3 years and can't complain.

With the right front end software, it does exactly what I want. I create my library and playlists. The front end software automatically scans and updates the library. Then I call it up for playback on my PS3 or DirecTV receiver and VOILA I watch it. If for some reason, the original file isn't compliant with my playback device, Mezzmo transcodes it for me automatically. It's really not that hard and does what it's intended to do. Not only that, it does it across a huge variety of devices from tons of different manufacturers.

Where's the problem? For 99% of people, it's exactly what they are looking for.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post

I don't get the DLNA hatred. I've been using it in various forms (TVersity and Mezzmo) for the better part of 3 years and can't complain.

With the right front end software, it does exactly what I want. I create my library and playlists. The front end software automatically scans and updates the library. Then I call it up for playback on my PS3 or DirecTV receiver and VOILA I watch it. If for some reason, the original file isn't compliant with my playback device, Mezzmo transcodes it for me automatically. It's really not that hard and does what it's intended to do. Not only that, it does it across a huge variety of devices from tons of different manufacturers.

Where's the problem? For 99% of people, it's exactly what they are looking for.

I've never tried Mezzmo. I guess I should look into it and see what it can do for me.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #12 of 12 Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The original poster question wasn't that it didn't work, that only it does not resize to play full screen.

DLNA can be a lot better but... it's free, it's there, I use it.

But yeah if you have large collection DVD, get a device that will resize 'em on-the-fly.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page