Why did I know that question would be asked.
I just ordered the switch from the local dealer, reasonable price and I should have it by Wednesday. But since you asked....
Prior to getting the Sonos, I had our TV in our Family room hooked up to a set of 2.1 speakers. (TV Audio Out to Speakers). We're not talking surround here...just wanted fuller sound and beefier better base in this room.
Now that I have the Sonos zone player in this room...the line-out of the sonos is now hooked up to the speakers. The audio-out of the tv is no longer going directly to the speakers. It is now going to the Line-In on the Sonos.
There is a *slight* delay / sync issue when playing the audio through the Sonos, so that is one issue that's preventing me from just passing the audio through the sonos when watching TV and calling it a day. (Although even if sync was perfect, this could leave open the possibility that we shut down the sonos zones after playing music...then my kids turn on the TV and say "Daaaaaad?! the Tv is broken...no sound is coming out...)
another note...I DO want to route the TV output to the Sonos for certain listening scenarios where my TV would be the source audio. (I can elaborate if you wish...)
So here's the proposed set-up:
1) Split the audio-output from the TV. One line is to be sent to Sonos, the other line to be sent to the automatic A/B switch (the "default" input on the switch).
2) Send the output of the sonos to the control input on the A/B switch.
3) Send the output of the switch to the 2.1 speakers.
This will allow the following th happen:
1) As long as Sonos is off, watching TV (the default line of the switch), the TV output will automatically be "direct" to the speakers, and therefore it's in sync with the video on the TV. Added bonus of TV audio always being available as long as the sonos is "off."
2) If I turn that Sonos zone On, the switch will then automatically take input from the Sonos...NOTE, this audio source could actually be from the TV itself (since it is an input to the Sonos), but now the audio coming from the 2.1 speakers it is sync'd to the other zones, rather than synced to the video on the TV.
Let me know if you feel there is another solution.